or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 919

post #27541 of 30929
Well, I am the proud owner of my first Definitive Technology speaker set. And it's my first set of matched speakers!!! I really wanted the ProCinema 800 with 2 PM1000 as the mains. But, that was way out of my budget frown.gif

For about 1/3 of that price, I picked up a ProCinema 60.6 with a pair of StudioMonitor 450. NewEgg must have bought up a bunch of overstock. I am quite thankful they did! My Yamaha RXA710 will be too.

I've got a mixed system now consisting of Design Acoustics PS-10a refoamed last winter, KLH side surrounds, Audio Source center channel, 1 Audio Source right rear, and 1 Technics center (came with a system) for my left rear surround. Along with a very entry level Yamaha sub that would rather make the couch upstairs vibrate than my Lazy Boy in the basement! The YAPO does a fair job at trying to even out the mismatch. My old speakers from the mid 90's will go to my son and his new Yamaha RXV373 (Christmas), his first digital system.

I really hope my new Def Tech comes by Monday. I'm thinking about torturing myself and waiting until Christmas. I've waited all year, a couple more weeks wouldn't kill me.
Edited by davethestalker - 12/6/12 at 5:54am
post #27542 of 30929
Just a thought: Don't torture yourself, Dave... begin enjoying your new DT's as soon as they come in! Best, Joe
post #27543 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejason777 View Post

I've been considering an upgrade to my mains and center, but every time I listen to the BP30's I'm reminded how great they sound. Would the CS-8080 be a good match for them? I know the older 2000 series is good, but I don't like buying used.
Hi Steve, we have a whole bunch of CS-8080 fans out there. It's a really great center channel speaker. Go ahead and get one, and let us know how it sounds with the BP 30's, OK? Best, Joe
post #27544 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWilliams View Post

Yep, I certainly saw that being a bit of an issue, so I've got some speakers in the ceiling planned for prewiring. I'll be putting UIW BP/A speakers up there. It would have been nice to get those as a part of the 8060 deal at Crutchfield, but they said no-go when I asked. Instead, I'll probably just go with the 8040 rears free and buy the UIW BP/As separate. Then I'll use the 8040s to either add them in later as 7.1 rears on stands, use them elsewhere in the house, or sell them.
Thanks, Joe. I imagine you've had to tell people that every day for the past year. Sorry to make you do it once again. smile.gif One more person feeling better about DefTech though. :P
No worries Eric, you are welcome - and thanks for buying DT and joining our little family. Best, Joe
post #27545 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloatavs View Post

Joe, thanks for your help. I wonder how did people buy speakers before the Internet? smile.gif There is no way one can audition most of the speakers.
You are welcome of course Lilo. Let us know how everything sounds when you get it all hooked up OK? Best, Joe
post #27546 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnt008 View Post

No I can't do floor stands b/c I have a pool table directly behind the couch. They would get knocked over, also have a dog, and eventually kids. Up Up and away from all these things, including drunk people during parties. So the wall mounts available would really have to articulate to aim them towards me sitting on the couch and these RS-8040's are bulky and I believe 9 lbs each (kinda heavy for rear speakers). Geek squad is going to set it up, but I didn't purchase any mounts and don't know what they are going to have for wall mounts (or what kind of ridiculous price they would charge me). So I'm trying to be proactive and buy them before they set everything up on 12/15. All the wall mounts that definitive make don't say they are compatible with my speakers. I'm feeling like ceiling mounts are going to be best, or at least a wall mount that extends at least 5 inches (which definitive again doesn't make that I saw).mad.gif frustrating
Hello 008, no worries my friend. This may be pretty simple, unless I misunderstand the situation smile.gif
1. I am thinking you go for a side-wall placement, slightly behind your couch. Remember that we are trying to re-create the theater experience, and most theaters have a row of side speakers going from front to back. They don't necessarily have any "rear' speakers at the movie theater. What we desire is a well-dispersed, ambiant speaker that can give us the sonic illusion of the jets actually going from in front of us to behind us, the horses running from front to back, etc. So a side speaker that is bipolar and fires in a broad pattern, like the SR-8040, placed just behind your listening position, can be really ideal. It does not need to be angled toward your ears, because we don't want to be aware of the directional cues, but rather to hear the ambiant information from a more broad sound stage.
2. Regarding the mount: There is a simple key-hole mount that is recessed a bit into the cabinet. A good solid screw, securely positioned into the wooden studs, is all you need. Customer service can attest that we have sold loads of much heavier speakers (such as the BPVXp) without issue. We don't actually manufacture a wall mount because this arrangement works out just fine. I hope this helps, and enjoy your new system! I suggest Queen: Live at Wembley, played loud and often, for breaking the speakers in smile.gif. Those guys were much better performers than I realized at the time (I never got to see them live). Thanks for buying DT - best, Joe
post #27547 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdevs View Post

Current Setup.
R/L - SM 350's
Center - CS-8060HD
Surrounds - BP2X
Sub - SVS PC-12 plus
The SM 450's are on sale, worth the upgrade from the 350's?
Or, how about the SM 55, would they work with the CS-806HD, and assuming better then the SM450's?
TIA
Hi TIA, the SM 55 is a completely re-designed speaker from the (almost 10 year old) 350 / 450 speakers, with better mids, high-end dispersion, bass, cosmetics... etc. The 55's will work great with a CS 8060 HD. Enjoy! Best, Joe
post #27548 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Need some help from you guys....I just did wire management and wires are clean and organized...upon turning everything on I noticed from my 8060-cs center when I put my ear on top I hear a quick pulsating him from it...Don't remember it before it this common or what could be the situation...if anyone with an 8060 center could test and let me know if appreciate it...you can hear it when nothing is playing...thx guys
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Josh, how are you doing? I have not heard this one before, so...Question: does it make a slight hum when cell phones, baby monitors, system routers etc. are either turned off or removed from the room? It's possible that the amp is picking up some interference from such a source. My other suggestion is to power it down, disconnect the cables from the amp, power it back up with the power cord only going in, and see if you can still hear it.
Another question is whether you can hear it at all when you are playing movies or music. If no, it may not matter. But let's see what the answers are to the questions above. Let us know - best, Joe
post #27549 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rkbSidwiSDI/p_735CLR2002/Definitive-Technology-C-L-R2002.html
Here is a sock-less picture of it. Mine seems very solid, I don't think it would have any problem holding the TV, especially with the wide base it probably has. You would have to put something very heavy on it to crush the whole box. The center itself weighs 29 lbs.

Joe, can you confirm placing my 62.9lb plasma tv on top of the clr 2002 would not cause any trouble? Not that I discount Brad's advice, but for something like this confirmation is always good.

Thanks
Edited by bjaurelio - 12/6/12 at 10:10am
post #27550 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi Josh, how are you doing? I have not heard this one before, so...Question: does it make a slight hum when cell phones, baby monitors, system routers etc. are either turned off or removed from the room? It's possible that the amp is picking up some interference from such a source. My other suggestion is to power it down, disconnect the cables from the amp, power it back up with the power cord only going in, and see if you can still hear it.
Another question is whether you can hear it at all when you are playing movies or music. If no, it may not matter. But let's see what the answers are to the questions above. Let us know - best, Joe

Hey Joe...I'm great hope you enjoy the holidays...;)the pulsating hum is very slight and can only hear with my ear up against it...doesn't affect sound playback...its prolly not a big deal so I'll not worry...thx for the response...I should say this sound is only heard when the power cord is plugged in when I remove it the pulsating goes away so makes me think its the amp
Edited by josh6113 - 12/6/12 at 1:58pm
post #27551 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post

If the new studio monitors work well vertically and horizontally, why not another sm65 for the center channel?

In my case, it would not fit into the shelf room.
post #27552 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post

Joe, can you confirm placing my 62.9lb plasma tv on top of the clr 2002 would not cause any trouble? Not that I discount Brad's advice, but for something like this confirmation is always good.
Thanks
Hello B, actually our customer service guys don't recommend this sort of thing. The cabinet is not designed to handle significant weight, and though it's a solidly built product, the joints may develop a problem over time. I hope this doesn't mess up your plans too much. Best, Joe
post #27553 of 30929
Thanks Joe,

I figured this was the case. I guess I'll have to purchase some form of a riser. All I'm finding is too short at 5.25 in. Maybe I'll have to make my own. There have to be some plans on the internet.

Thanks,
Brian
post #27554 of 30929
I am really interested in a pair of SM65's for mainly listening to music. I was wondering if these will provide a good kick in bass like from a kick drum.
Also if I decide to add a center could I use one of these? I have room to stand it vertically.
Last question. Where to buy? I personally would like a little off retail.
post #27555 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendezm9 View Post

So I finally decided to join as I am in the process of getting some decent surround sound. Are the bp10s a good deal for 400 a pair? Seems like it to me but Ive seen three different listing now for them at that price so i'm not sure if it is a good deal or not...this would be 400 for a used pair...

so u talked to the guy that is selling these some more. He said the model number is bp 2004. From def tech's website it looks like those may be older discontinued models. Are they a good buy for 400? Or would I be better off holding off?
post #27556 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

I am really interested in a pair of SM65's for mainly listening to music. I was wondering if these will provide a good kick in bass like from a kick drum.
Also if I decide to add a center could I use one of these? I have room to stand it vertically.
Last question. Where to buy? I personally would like a little off retail.

Def Tech's don't ignore bass, so you should be fine smile.gif Besides, you can always add a subwoofer. I don't see why you can't use it as a center. Infact, it should be a excellent center if you have room, especially if you can have all the tweeters at the same height level. See if a local dealer will give you a little better deal even though they are already a great value. I'd still recommend demoing several speaker before making your final purchase though. What sounds good to one person might not sound good to another. cool.gif
post #27557 of 30929
Hello all,
I just got a pair of BP8060ST's to replace a pair of BP10B's and was wondering how many people use just speaker wires for hook ups or choose the LFE port option? I played around a little with both and was curios what others thought. I currently have separate subs as well.
post #27558 of 30929
I have the 8060-st's aswell and for me I use speaker wire but like you I am messing with the LFE input on my 7.2 pioneer vsx-60 and from what I hear using an RCA plus speaker wire you are giving the LFE a cleaner path the the speakers and I notice a little more OOMPH in the low end not 100 percent accurate about this but it seems to help somewhat...now you've got me wanting to mess with this tonight...looks like a Friday tweak session for me...lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #27559 of 30929
Def tech says that the internal crossover is setup around 200hz. That seems a little high for my taste. I did help a buddy of mine setup some 8040's with LFE port and I thought they sounded a lot cleaner. We set the crossover to 100hz which was where he liked the sound of it best and then adjusted the volume.
post #27560 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post

Def tech says that the internal crossover is setup around 200hz. That seems a little high for my taste. I did help a buddy of mine setup some 8040's with LFE port and I thought they sounded a lot cleaner. We set the crossover to 100hz which was where he liked the sound of it best and then adjusted the volume.
So I'm not the only one who thought the sound seemed cleaner...and for the 100 hz crossover...where are you doing that at?...what are you settings for the towers? I'm not following your post very well...need more details...wink.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #27561 of 30929
In your configuration menu set the front speakers to small and the crossover for them at 100hz.. The front speakers will get everything from roughly 100hz and up, the subs will get roughly 100hz and down through the LFE port. Play with the cross over number to find what you like. You will have to play with the volume for the subs on the speakers and\or the level setting for the sub in the configuration menu since the speakers will not be getting the same frequencies as they were before. If you left the front speakers in large mode and tried hooking up the LFE cable it should not have changed much if at all since the same frequency range was present. Most receivers when you set the front speakers to large disable the LFE sub port. To run large speaker setting and LFE sub port you have to enable extra bass (name changes by manufacturer)
post #27562 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post

In your configuration menu set the front speakers to small and the crossover for them at 100hz.. The front speakers will get everything from roughly 100hz and up, the subs will get roughly 100hz and down through the LFE port. Play with the cross over number to find what you like. You will have to play with the volume for the subs on the speakers and\or the level setting for the sub in the configuration menu since the speakers will not be getting the same frequencies as they were before. If you left the front speakers in large mode and tried hooking up the LFE cable it should not have changed much if at all since the same frequency range was present. Most receivers when you set the front speakers to large disable the LFE sub port. To run large speaker setting and LFE sub port you have to enable extra bass (name changes by manufacturer)
I see thx for the tip and the extra bass setting you refer to on my pioneer its subwoofer yes or plus so I'm guessing plus is for the extra bass...thx again...wink.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #27563 of 30929
I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I want to sell my BP-30's and C/L/R-2000. As of right now, I have decided on keeping them. I am getting ready to build a trio of Seos-12's for use as LCR's in my theater setup. Do any of you guys have any experience comparing the Seos-12 with any Definitive Technology speakers? If so, how did you feel that they compared? I am going to do some a/b'ing between the two and then sell the one I like the least. Do you guys think the Seos-12 will be an upgrade to the BP-30's, or is it more of a lateral move?

Also, if I keep the BP-30's, I will most definitely purchase a new center channel. My choices to choose between are the CS-8080, the SM-65 and the SM-55. How do you guys think these compare? I have the proper space to use the SM's in the vertical configuration so would those perform better vertically than the CS-8080? I have always heard that the traditionally used horizontal center speakers are not the best choice if you can fit a vertical speaker. Any thoughts?
post #27564 of 30929
this is a DT C1 a older center channel since it has the AL. tweeter I'm thinking it's probabley made in 1996 and is the same tweeter in the SM450?

how well will this C1 CC w/ it's 5.25 woofer sound w/ SM450s w/ it's 6.5" woofer as fronts?

room diemensions 13' lenghtX12' wide X 8' tall 80% TV 20% radio.since working and being around deaf folks I'm not really into listening to loud audio I usalley listen about half volumne
I'm more interested in quaiity than quanitiy. I allrready have a sub. mainly wanting better front audio quaility than current setup (sig).

I attach a diagram of the room layout


edit how long are these DT speakers live expectantisty.
STB
Edited by stevethebrain - 12/8/12 at 1:01pm
post #27565 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

Finished bracketing and all speakers are hooked up. 4 ProMonitor 1000s, 1 ProCenter 2000, and an older sub cause I'm gonna wait until after the holidays to get a ProSub. After doing an Audyssey setup, my Configuration came out to 50 Hz for the Fronts, 60 Hz for the Center, and 60 Hz for the Surrounds. Aren't these a too low?

Anyone?
post #27566 of 30929
The Definitive web page recommends 80 for the 1000's and 60 for the 2000.
post #27567 of 30929
Hello all new to this I've been setting up a theater in my basement. I have BP 10 for my front and left and a pro center 2000 for the center speaker. powered by a Denon 2112 I have it set up for 7.1 surround. This is for a 124 inch screen with a projector. I'm just finishing up the finishing touches on the remodel and will be setting up the system next week. I have a 3 questions.
1: will I effect the sound quality of the system by going to a small satellite speakers for the sides and rear?
2: do I need a sub? I have read mixed reports that the BP 10 are enough but I really have no idea.
3: do I need to spend money on good satellites and do they need to be definitive technology to create a better sound. My understanding is that satellites are not all that important in the overall sound of the system. I'm new to this so my concern with using the smaller satellites is that my amp will perform based of the smaller satellites not the big towers.
post #27568 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetoe View Post

Hello all new to this I've been setting up a theater in my basement. I have BP 10 for my front and left and a pro center 2000 for the center speaker. powered by a Denon 2112 I have it set up for 7.1 surround. This is for a 124 inch screen with a projector. I'm just finishing up the finishing touches on the remodel and will be setting up the system next week. I have a 3 questions.
1: will I effect the sound quality of the system by going to a small satellite speakers for the sides and rear?
2: do I need a sub? I have read mixed reports that the BP 10 are enough but I really have no idea.
3: do I need to spend money on good satellites and do they need to be definitive technology to create a better sound. My understanding is that satellites are not all that important in the overall sound of the system. I'm new to this so my concern with using the smaller satellites is that my amp will perform based of the smaller satellites not the big towers.

It all depends on your expectations and budget. I would go with something like the bp2x (which can often be found on ebay) or something similar. I would also suggest going with a sub. It does not have to be a Definitive sub, any good sub will do. A 124" screen is going to give you a nice, big image. You dont want to surround it with a wimpy speaker system.
post #27569 of 30929
Well I made a decision and I've sold my 8060 center and got a studio monitor 45 for a center.Most might think I'm crazy but it really sounds better.prolly due to the vertical stance and the bigger mid but WOW it does great crossed at 80 hz...just my Lil weekend adventure...;)anyone else try a crazy thing like this?
post #27570 of 30929
I replaced a procenter 1000 with a SM450 along with SM450 l/rs and felt that it was a good step up. Earlier this year I replaced that SM450 center with a CLR-3000 and felt the same way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread