or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 929

post #27841 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

Hey all,
How good are the BP7006 amped floorstanding speakers? They get great reviews, and the price is right (50% off list). Just interested in any thoughts.
Also -- will they match well with a Mythos 3 as a center channel? The matching center for 7006's is a bit steep on the price side.
Thanks!
Hi Skrill, we have discontinued the BP 7006 now, and at that price it is a great value. I would urge you to go for it on the center channel, though. That's the most important speaker in a home theater system, because 80 - 90 % of the soundtracks information is located there. The Mythos 3 is a good speaker and it will work, but you may want something better for those 7006's. Best, Joe
post #27842 of 30943
Hello all, I am off to Las Vegas for CES. Please be patient with me if I am slow to respond this week :-).
Don't hesitate to contact Chet, TJ and Adam at info@definitivetech.com. Best, Joe
post #27843 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

- Your speakers are 8 ohm speakers (average of 8 ohm - IE, aspeaker could peak from 2-30 ohms etc)
- As for an audible difference it's hard to say. An actual pair of 6 ohm speakers has less resistance thus can flow power more easily. Setting your AVR to 6 ohms basically causes it to raise the watts yet lower the amps to avoid the amp from flowing to easily and overheating or burning up circuits etc. In most AVRs it's a protection mode with what you would call a zero sum gain. Your rated watts per channel may be higher yet the lower amperage use results in the power to speaker (sound) dynamics to be equal. With your 8 ohm speakers you could very well be limiting the low frequency response/performance utilizing the 6 ohm setting. Will you hear it, maybe, maybe not..
Bottom line, because your AVR is say rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms yet 125 watts at 6 ohms, it by no means should have you selecting 6 ohm settings even though utilizing 8 ohm speakers. You are gaining nothing, rather likely hurting the performance.
Seriously, im no expert but have been around electronics a bit and even built my own amps to understand enough to be confussing... :-)
Do a bit of "Google'ing". You will also find out that given today's AVRs, many will tell you to leave it set to 8 ohms regardless if running 6 ohm speakers, then just ensure it has proper cooling. Really good and or older robust amps didn't even offer a "ohm" selection. Rather the amp was just rated for speaker loads equal to/greater than 4 ohms etc.
Either way, you won't hurt your AVR or the DTs. The fact your Onkyo came set at 6 ohms may just be their initial protection in the event someone uses 6 ohm speakers and is unaware of the possible issues if set to 8. Does your AVR manual give you any pointers?
Enjoy

No it does not say anything about setting the omh in the manual.. so u saying that by having the omh on the reciever's setting set to 6, im hurting performance? i mean the system sounds great with movies and music, so by having the receiver set to 6 omh instead of 8 omh, my receiver is working harder than it should? or its not working enough to give the speakers the full power?
post #27844 of 30943
just ordered a pair of bp8s from newegg, couldn't pass up this amazing price they have! im upgrading my bp6's with the bp8's
post #27845 of 30943
Yeah i just got mine, they rock, they sound awesome and i havent begun to calibrate or have them placed where i want them!
post #27846 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

No it does not say anything about setting the omh in the manual.. so u saying that by having the omh on the reciever's setting set to 6, im hurting performance? i mean the system sounds great with movies and music, so by having the receiver set to 6 omh instead of 8 omh, my receiver is working harder than it should? or its not working enough to give the speakers the full power?

Like I said, I probably know enough just to be able to confuse others.. :-).
Also, we are probably approaching a scolding for being a bit off topic thus my best suggestion/comment would be to try both the 6 and 8 ohm selection on your AVR. To the ear you probably won't notice a difference and neither setting will hurt speakers or amp etc. Check out the forum for Onkyo, someone there will probably have some good reading etc. For now just sit back and enjoy your DTs and Onk.

Cheers
post #27847 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie83 View Post

Yeah i just got mine, they rock, they sound awesome and i havent begun to calibrate or have them placed where i want them!


U just got the bp8's too? That's cool man
post #27848 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

U just got the bp8's too? That's cool man

Yeah im thinking of buying a third for a center!!!
post #27849 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie83 View Post

Yeah im thinking of buying a third for a center!!!

thats awesome man, how are they compared to the bp6? i cant wait to get them!
post #27850 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie83 View Post

Yeah im thinking of buying a third for a center!!!
If your able I'd say do it...I have the 8060-st's and I'm going to get a third tower for a center soon...wink.gif
post #27851 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

thats awesome man, how are they compared to the bp6? i cant wait to get them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

If your able I'd say do it...I have the 8060-st's and I'm going to get a third tower for a center soon...wink.gif

I would have to wall mount my tv a bit higher which i think i could but might have to put it behind my av rack. I might make it work somehow. Actually im going to check right now il see if i can put some pics and maybe get some input. Oh these replced my sm450 which were awesome as well but the bp8 are a on a different level!
post #27852 of 30943
I just picked up the bp8060st kit but I upgraded to the matching 8060 center with the 8040 rears. Can't wait to get them hooked up. Has anyone felt the need to add a sub to this setup?
post #27853 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie83 View Post

I would have to wall mount my tv a bit higher which i think i could but might have to put it behind my av rack. I might make it work somehow. Actually im going to check right now il see if i can put some pics and maybe get some input. Oh these replced my sm450 which were awesome as well but the bp8 are a on a different level!

Very cool! cant wait to see how the bp8s compare to the bp6's..

the bp8's have the cast basket magnesium drivers so thats definitely an upgrade!
post #27854 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rental pro View Post

I just picked up the bp8060st kit but I upgraded to the matching 8060 center with the 8040 rears. Can't wait to get them hooked up. Has anyone felt the need to add a sub to this setup?

In my situation, no, I don't need a separate sub. As a matter of fact, I ran Audyessy setup this morning and had to turn the built-in subs down. I had them set at 50% as recommended, now they are set at about 25%. The trim level is set at -7db, I played a movie and listened to a couple cd's and it sounds good to me......The only way to know for sure is to listen to them in your room...
post #27855 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

I'm expecting my 8060 package next week. I was told by Def Tech that a dock strike in LA stalled delivery on the very popular bundle. A rep at World Wide Stereo the Amazon dealer I ordered from told me, after many communications, they should arrive on Jan 11th or 12th. I ordered them on Dec 21st a X-mas gift from my wife, still waiting!

Wow didn't know there was a strike. I saw the deal online and asked the local home theater specialist at Oldfield's in Eugene OR if they would match and he did. On a side note for Def Tech, they are very good. One of the best customer service experiences I have ever had. Very good reps for Def Tech. Anyway I went and paid the money on Monday and the manager told me he was expecting a order from Def Tech thursday. He had previously ordered a load for his store. Anyway this week hopefully. I also got a pair of Pro Monitor 1000's that I am going to use for front high speakers.
post #27856 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

I ran Audyessy setup this morning and had to turn the built-in subs down. I had them set at 50% as recommended, now they are set at about 25%. The trim level is set at -7db,

One trick with Audyessy:
Run the first measurement and then calculate. Look at the level adjustment on the sub and turn it up if + and down if -. Rinse and repeat until the trim applied by Audyessy is between +/-3. That gets you in the middle of the adjustment range and gives you more flexibility to turn the sub levels up/down as needed in the receiver for the content.
post #27857 of 30943
Quote:
I just picked up the bp8060st kit but I upgraded to the matching 8060 center with the 8040 rears. Can't wait to get them hooked up. Has anyone felt the need to add a sub to this setup?

It's all personnel preference. At first you probably will be blown away by the bass. But as time goes you will most likely want to upgrade. I am fairly new in my knowledge of Home theater setups, speaker specs and subwoofer. But from what I have read there will be some bottom octaves of deep bass the towers won't reach. Also a true subwoofer is based on woofer size, enclosure size, and power supply. A smaller woofer in a smaller enclosure will need lots of power like the super cubes to achieve this. Even then a bigger woofer in a bigger enclosure will do far better in sound quality. I ordered the same with the 8040 center and I plan on being very happy with what my ears hear and body feels but I will get a designated subwoofer. Again it all comes back to personnel preference.
post #27858 of 30943
guys i have a question, what should i set the crossover for my bp8's to get the most out of them, auddysey obviously sets them as full range but if i keep them as full range, the subwoofer wont receive any frequencies to play right? should i cross the bp8's at 60hz just like i do with my CLR2002 center channel? my bP2X/s surounds are crossed over at 80hz.
post #27859 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

One trick with Audyessy:
Run the first measurement and then calculate. Look at the level adjustment on the sub and turn it up if + and down if -. Rinse and repeat until the trim applied by Audyessy is between +/-3. That gets you in the middle of the adjustment range and gives you more flexibility to turn the sub levels up/down as needed in the receiver for the content.

Understood, as it sits now, it sounds good. I ran it several times turning the subs down each time, until the last run it set the subs to -12db. At least now I know it's close, and still have some adjustment left. I'll play with it more, but I ran out of time today.
What surprised most was where it set the crossovers. 120hz for the fronts, 60hz for the center, and 200hz for the surrounds...Room acoustics I guess...
post #27860 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

guys i have a question, what should i set the crossover for my bp8's to get the most out of them, auddysey obviously sets them as full range but if i keep them as full range, the subwoofer wont receive any frequencies to play right? should i cross the bp8's at 60hz just like i do with my CLR2002 center channel? my bP2X/s surounds are crossed over at 80hz.

I cross my BP10's and CLR 2000 at 80Hz because my pair of 15" subs are far more capable of handling the lower frequencies. I don't see any reason to run the towers lower than that because they wouldn't do as good of a job and the sound isn't locatable. I cross my BPVXs at 50Hz though to get a little extra bass in the surrounds, and they can handle it.
post #27861 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post

Understood, as it sits now, it sounds good. I ran it several times turning the subs down each time, until the last run it set the subs to -12db. At least now I know it's close, and still have some adjustment left. I'll play with it more, but I ran out of time today.
What surprised most was where it set the crossovers. 120hz for the fronts, 60hz for the center, and 200hz for the surrounds...Room acoustics I guess...

That is the reason
post #27862 of 30943
Should I bump the center channel up to 120hz to match the fronts?
Or is it just a matter of preference?
post #27863 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi Skrill, we have discontinued the BP 7006 now, and at that price it is a great value. I would urge you to go for it on the center channel, though. That's the most important speaker in a home theater system, because 80 - 90 % of the soundtracks information is located there. The Mythos 3 is a good speaker and it will work, but you may want something better for those 7006's. Best, Joe

Thanks Joe - what is the matching center for those towers?
post #27864 of 30943
the clr2300 is the matchin for the 7006's i think
post #27865 of 30943
Definitive Technology Trinity for sale
Taking offers



Edited by JAMES MCHUGHES - 1/6/13 at 5:34pm
post #27866 of 30943
hey guys, a quick question, do any of you use the def tech BP6's as surround speakers, im upgrading my front left and right bp6's with BP8's in a few days, and im going to sell the bp6's but a wild idea came to my mind to perhaps use the bp6's as surrounds? currently im using BP2X's as my surrounds, will the bp6's be a huge improvement over these?
post #27867 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

hey guys, a quick question, do any of you use the def tech BP6's as surround speakers, im upgrading my front left and right bp6's with BP8's in a few days, and im going to sell the bp6's but a wild idea came to my mind to perhaps use the bp6's as surrounds? currently im using BP2X's as my surrounds, will the bp6's be a huge improvement over these?

I don't think I've ever heard a surround that sounded better than mains, I'd say try it out!
Edited by truwarrior22 - 1/6/13 at 8:10pm
post #27868 of 30943
Some new pics of changes in my home theater

BP3000TL's mains
CLR 3000 center
BP3000TL's surrounds
BPVX's rear surrounds
Studio 450's front heights
BP30's wides
Trinity sub
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Emotiva XPA5




post #27869 of 30943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

hey guys, a quick question, do any of you use the def tech BP6's as surround speakers, im upgrading my front left and right bp6's with BP8's in a few days, and im going to sell the bp6's but a wild idea came to my mind to perhaps use the bp6's as surrounds? currently im using BP2X's as my surrounds, will the bp6's be a huge improvement over these?

If i had the space i would definetly do it!!! I cant stop listening to my bp8bs! My current center is a procentet 2000. Its a good speaker and served me good but its not keeping up with my towers. Im going to use one of my sm450s and a center to see how it works. I want to add a third bp8b but im not sure i can accomodate this setup. My next choice would be a clr 2002. Has anyone compared the pc2000 and the clr2002?
post #27870 of 30943
I have a clr2002, it's a fantastic speaker, it's blows the pro center out of the water( I used to have a pro center 2000)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread