or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 930

post #27871 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

I have a clr2002, it's a fantastic speaker, it's blows the pro center out of the water( I used to have a pro center 2000)
Nice, that would be awesome if i can get one well after i see how my sm450 works up front. Im still not rulling out the possibility of a third bp8, but ill see what i can do this week and expirement!
post #27872 of 30929
The thing I'm not sure about though is that the bp6's don't have cast basket drivers like the bp8's and my surround bp2x's have, so if I were to change my surrounds with bp6's instead of bp2x's. wouldn't that be kind of a downgrade because the bp2x's have superior bass and midrange drivers. Not to mention they can be Hung on the wall and be low profile
post #27873 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

The thing I'm not sure about though is that the bp6's don't have cast basket drivers like the bp8's and my surround bp2x's have, so if I were to change my surrounds with bp6's instead of bp2x's. wouldn't that be kind of a downgrade because the bp2x's have superior bass and midrange drivers. Not to mention they can be Hung on the wall and be low profile

Can you do 7.1 in your current location? That way you can put those bp6s for rear back speakers!
post #27874 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Some new pics of changes in my home theater
BP3000TL's mains
CLR 3000 center
BP3000TL's surrounds
BPVX's rear surrounds
Studio 450's front heights
BP30's wides
Trinity sub
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Emotiva XPA5





Looks nice! How do the bp30s compair to the the bp3000 for music?
post #27875 of 30929
Yeah James McHughes a year or so back I was the one to tell you to place your surround towers sideways for better immersion glad to see your still keeping them that way. Beautiful system from when you first got started. Just curious why are you selling the Trinity? Not enough sub for all that bass you already have. ;-)
post #27876 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Some new pics of changes in my home theater
BP3000TL's mains
CLR 3000 center
BP3000TL's surrounds
BPVX's rear surrounds
Studio 450's front heights
BP30's wides
Trinity sub
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Emotiva XPA5
]

Hi James,

How does that Emotiva XPA 5 channel amp get along with your Def Tech Towers?
post #27877 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Hi James,
How does that Emotiva XPA 5 channel amp get along with your Def Tech Towers?

Kicks ***
Love it
post #27878 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Wow didn't know there was a strike. I saw the deal online and asked the local home theater specialist at Oldfield's in Eugene OR if they would match and he did. On a side note for Def Tech, they are very good. One of the best customer service experiences I have ever had. Very good reps for Def Tech. Anyway I went and paid the money on Monday and the manager told me he was expecting a order from Def Tech thursday. He had previously ordered a load for his store. Anyway this week hopefully. I also got a pair of Pro Monitor 1000's that I am going to use for front high speakers.
My bundle ships tomorrow from World Wide Stereo, they gave $100 off the $1998 bundle price because I had to wait so long
post #27879 of 30929
is anyone here using tower speakers as surrounds?
post #27880 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Hi James,
How does that Emotiva XPA 5 channel amp get along with your Def Tech Towers?

I'm running the Emotiva XPR-5 with my DefTech BP7000SC. It is just what the doctor ordered to put some life into them.
post #27881 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

is anyone here using tower speakers as surrounds?

I'm using tower speakers but they aren't DefTech. They are JBL L7 direct 3-way with a side-firing 12" subwoofer. Several here are using DefTech bi-pole towers as surrounds. See pictures a few posts up.
post #27882 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

My bundle ships tomorrow from World Wide Stereo, they gave $100 off the $1998 bundle price because I had to wait so long

Really? Hmm, maybe I can get a discount...more. I thought about asking if I could get another pair of 8040 surrounds for the cheap price. So you say the ship from world wide stereo? Is that your dealer or the place you ordered from online? Mine are coming into a place here in Eugene, OR called Oldfield's. They ordered a bunch of def tech for their store and mine is coming in with it.
post #27883 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

is anyone here using tower speakers as surrounds?

Many of us. :-).
7000SCs. If I had room for the same as rears I'd own 3 pairs. 👍

Cheers
post #27884 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

is anyone here using tower speakers as surrounds?

I have 7001's as rear surrounds. There is a guy running an 11.8! Setup with 9 towers
post #27885 of 30929
Bp8060st kit with matching center and 8040 rears. What would you recommend for 7.1? Is it needed?
post #27886 of 30929
when most of u say REAR, do u mean rear surround as in a 7.1 speaker layout? because i ment surround as in a surround speaker in a 5.1 setup.. so u guys use tower speakers as surround speakers right? do u guys have it on your sides or behind?
post #27887 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

when most of u say REAR, do u mean rear surround as in a 7.1 speaker layout? because i ment surround as in a surround speaker in a 5.1 setup.. so u guys use tower speakers as surround speakers right? do u guys have it on your sides or behind?

I think most people mean the rear surround in a 7.1 setup when they say rear. People use them as both side and surround rears, though, it just depends on whether you have room to try or not. In the pictures above, he even place the towers sideways, so they played along the wall, instead of towards the couch. If you have some to play with, I would try it. I only have BPVX surrounds though, so I'm not sure how a tower would sound compared to those. Towers are 180° bipolar where most Definitive surrounds have the drivers ~60° apart, so that would affect the sound dispersion as well.
post #27888 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rental pro View Post

Bp8060st kit with matching center and 8040 rears. What would you recommend for 7.1? Is it needed?

Depends what you want. I have 7 channels on my Onkyo. They are assignable for either back surrounds or front highs. I ordered a pair of pro monitor 1000's for front high to go with 8060 left/right towers, and a 8040 center channel. So for surround I will have just a pair of 8040 bi-polar surrounds. Eventually I will get a 9 channel and run side and rear surrounds. I would say your movie/music ratio would answer your question. I chose to go front high to expand my soundstage even more for the music dimension. Although it will be nice with movies too. Either way will be great with the 8060 package.
post #27889 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Some new pics of changes in my home theater
BP3000TL's mains
CLR 3000 center
BP3000TL's surrounds
BPVX's rear surrounds
Studio 450's front heights
BP30's wides
Trinity sub
Onkyo TX-NR 3008
Emotiva XPA5





James or other educated definitive thread followers....

I have noticed many of you have 9.2 capable pre amp processors with BOTH heights and wides in addition to surrounds and surround backs for a total of 11 channels plus lfe. How are you able to do 11 channels ona 9.2 pre amp as I am interested in going this route. I currently have a 9.2 capable integra pre amp that is in a 7.2 system. I am interested in adding both heights and wides for a total of 11.2. How is this accomplished with a 9.2 preamp? Also, why are you selling your trinity? That must be a beast!
post #27890 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Depends what you want. I have 7 channels on my Onkyo. They are assignable for either back surrounds or front highs. I ordered a pair of pro monitor 1000's for front high to go with 8060 left/right towers, and a 8040 center channel. So for surround I will have just a pair of 8040 bi-polar surrounds. Eventually I will get a 9 channel and run side and rear surrounds. I would say your movie/music ratio would answer your question. I chose to go front high to expand my soundstage even more for the music dimension. Although it will be nice with movies too. Either way will be great with the 8060 package.
Thanks for the info. New game for me so all input is very helpful.
post #27891 of 30929
Hi Guys, I still have my original BP2000's in excellent condition with a CLR2002 and the BPVX's , Im planning to use these in my new HT in my basement.. my problem is my Brother-in-law borrowed my BPVX's and the end cap on top are busted off, anyway to keep them on when I mount these on the wall or just replace them with the new 8080 surround set.. I was planning on purchasing the 8080 surround making a 7 channel.. powering them by the 2 Emotivo 5 channel' amps.. (additional speakers to be added later) will this be too much power, or I guess you can't have too much power.. smile.gif I'm looking to use the Yamaha 2020 adventage receiver... your opinions are appreciated.
post #27892 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Hi Guys, I still have my original BP2000's in excellent condition with a CLR2002 and the BPVX's , Im planning to use these in my new HT in my basement.. my problem is my Brother-in-law borrowed my BPVX's and the end cap on top are busted off, anyway to keep them on when I mount these on the wall or just replace them with the new 8080 surround set.. I was planning on purchasing the 8080 surround making a 7 channel.. powering them by the 2 Emotivo 5 channel' amps.. (additional speakers to be added later) will this be too much power, or I guess you can't have too much power.. smile.gif I'm looking to use the Yamaha 2020 adventage receiver... your opinions are appreciated.

I'm sure you mean the Emotiva xpa-5 which is 200wx5. the 8080's are 2-200 watt max. so that may be too much? Chime in seasoned veterans...The salesman who sold me all my def tech stuff said he had a guy order the 8080 towers and give them 400 watts which is their rated limit and blew the speakers listening to jazz music.
post #27893 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Hi Guys, I still have my original BP2000's in excellent condition with a CLR2002 and the BPVX's , Im planning to use these in my new HT in my basement.. my problem is my Brother-in-law borrowed my BPVX's and the end cap on top are busted off, anyway to keep them on when I mount these on the wall or just replace them with the new 8080 surround set.. I was planning on purchasing the 8080 surround making a 7 channel.. powering them by the 2 Emotivo 5 channel' amps.. (additional speakers to be added later) will this be too much power, or I guess you can't have too much power.. smile.gif I'm looking to use the Yamaha 2020 adventage receiver... your opinions are appreciated.

I would definitely keep the BPVXs, they are beasts. The 8080's only have two 4 1/2" drivers, the BPVXs have four 6 1/2" ones, I love mine. If you mean the treelocks broke on the top of the surrounds (the little plastic pieces that hold the end cap on), Definitive will send you some for free. I replaced 2 sets last month, and it was a pain to get the broken stubs out, but it was much nicer once the ends caps actually stayed on.

A pair of XPA-5s wouldn't be too much power for the your speakers, but do you need more power? If you aren't clipping your receiver, then I doubt you would notice any difference using the Emotiva amps. . If you are clipping your AVR, an extra 60-100 W/ch isn't going to fix the problem. That would only give you max 3db more headroom, assuming your AVR can't put out as much power as it claims. Others will claim external amps can make a difference at all volumes though, so you would have to determine if that's something you want to try or not and if you actually need more power or not as you have a nice AVR. And you could use the ~$1400 you aren't spending on amps to get better surrounds, like another pair of BPVXs, BPXs, or towers.
post #27894 of 30929
I was thinking I would like to drive my speakers eventually with more power. The Emotiva seems like a good price and some people on this forum like them. It just seems like 200 true watts a channel is too much right? To bad they don't make 150x5. Any thoughts?
post #27895 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post

I would definitely keep the BPVXs, they are beasts. The 8080's only have two 4 1/2" drivers, the BPVXs have four 6 1/2" ones, I love mine. If you mean the treelocks broke on the top of the surrounds (the little plastic pieces that hold the end cap on), Definitive will send you some for free. I replaced 2 sets last month, and it was a pain to get the broken stubs out, but it was much nicer once the ends caps actually stayed on.
A pair of XPA-5s wouldn't be too much power for the your speakers, but do you need more power? If you aren't clipping your receiver, then I doubt you would notice any difference using the Emotiva amps. . If you are clipping your AVR, an extra 60-100 W/ch isn't going to fix the problem. That would only give you max 3db more headroom, assuming your AVR can't put out as much power as it claims. Others will claim external amps can make a difference at all volumes though, so you would have to determine if that's something you want to try or not and if you actually need more power or not as you have a nice AVR. And you could use the ~$1400 you aren't spending on amps to get better surrounds, like another pair of BPVXs, BPXs, or towers.

I see
post #27896 of 30929
I have a question to all BP owners. I currently have Polk RTiA7 floorstandong speakers in which the audio is very very good. What about if trade in my Polks with BP7006? I know those BPs has integreated subs, but Lets say if turning off the subs on the 7006; still a better speaker than Polks RTiA7 if compare side by side in audio quality?
post #27897 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

I have a question to all BP owners. I currently have Polk RTiA7 floorstandong speakers in which the audio is very very good. What about if trade in my Polks with BP7006? I know those BPs has integreated subs, but Lets say if turning off the subs on the 7006; still a better speaker than Polks RTiA7 if compare side by side in audio quality?

I can't comment on comparing them with the Polks, but if you're going to turn the subs off (which I'm not a fan of in the towers as well), you would be better off with a different tower, such as the BP8B or BP10B, which don't have built in subs. These have larger mid-drivers, 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" respectively, that use the whole cabinet space, unlike the newer towers that devote most of the cabinet space to the sub. I prefer the sound of these towers to the newer towers with subs and smaller drivers (like the 4" drivers in the 7006s). Plus you can get these for $300-$500 a pair used, or they're still sold new. Newegg recently had BP8Bs for $400 per pair.
post #27898 of 30929
Javygonx I would say keep your Polks which are a very good speaker and use the money for a pair of good subs to help your Polks with the lower bass frequencies. Although the 7006's are decent speakers they are not the powerhouse that the 7000 and 7001's are. Your Polks were designed for great upper frequencies and adding subs will give you that sound your looking for. Also look into room treatments to further enhance sound quality.
post #27899 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Hi Guys, I still have my original BP2000's in excellent condition with a CLR2002 and the BPVX's , Im planning to use these in my new HT in my basement.. my problem is my Brother-in-law borrowed my BPVX's and the end cap on top are busted off, anyway to keep them on when I mount these on the wall or just replace them with the new 8080 surround set.. I was planning on purchasing the 8080 surround making a 7 channel.. powering them by the 2 Emotivo 5 channel' amps.. (additional speakers to be added later) will this be too much power, or I guess you can't have too much power.. smile.gif I'm looking to use the Yamaha 2020 adventage receiver... your opinions are appreciated.

I'd stick with the BPVX's. Might want to look into the NAD amps. It was recommended to me by Def Tech and I like them better then the Emo amps I had. NAD T 977 or M25 shoud do you well and take up less space then two Emo amps.
post #27900 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Javygonx I would say keep your Polks which are a very good speaker and use the money for a pair of good subs to help your Polks with the lower bass frequencies. Although the 7006's are decent speakers they are not the powerhouse that the 7000 and 7001's are. Your Polks were designed for great upper frequencies and adding subs will give you that sound your looking for. Also look into room treatments to further enhance sound quality.
Thanks. I have two subs, its that a friend of mine bought tne ProCinema 60 and I was amazed with tne clarity and detail from those small speakers; specially tne center channel. My sub is an Emotiva Xref12, and a DIY 15" sealed powered by a HSU 250W Bash amp.

I can get the 7006 for $329 free shipping via Amazon Prime. I live in Puerto Rico so buying the BP8s for that price a pair is nice but shipping will kills me. I have to wait until Amazon get similar price for BP8 speakers and take advantage of my Amazon Prime which offers free shipping to my country. . So; keep Polks or sell them and get tne BP8s? I love the center from the Pro Cinema. I believe that my apolk CS2 is not as clear as the small center channel. Wish to have a center channel that matches my Rtia7s with such clarity and detail as those I heard from DT.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread