or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 939

post #28141 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post

Not sure. I'll take a look at it tonight when I get a chance.
Not sure if it’s the same on your Yamaha but on my Denon I saw the same thing… after messing around with it I figured out that I needed to edit “Front/Main/whatever it’s called” manually to show the individual L/R, Center, and Rear.

Lower the "Front/Main" crossover setting all the way down until you see “Individual”. The L/R, C and Rear should appear. Hope that works for you on the Yamaha too.
post #28142 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeftech View Post

This Definitive Forum is excellent!!!

I am looking for advice/opinion of fellow DefTech owners.


My Setup has changed recently and I have tried to decide how to connect ant setup my system.


Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Oppo BDP-103
Onkyo TX-NR809
BP7001SC fronts
CLR3000 center
Studio Monitor 450 rears
Studio Monitor 350 rear centers
2 Super Cube Reference
1 Super Cube One

My question is how should i hook up th BP7001SC. Should I run LFE to them or not? I have initially not run LFE to them and Audessy crosses them over at 40. When listening to music it seems like something is missing. If I change them to Full Range and turn on Double Bass music is sounds more complete. Not sure if I should run LFE to them since I have the 2 Reference and Supercube 1. Thoughts???


All comments appreciated. As I have learned over time that each person has different taste but I just want to make sure that I am not MISSING a possible better hook up. I am constantly changine Sub placement! The wife wants to make sure that when the action happens she can FEEL it!!!

Thanks

Hook your speakers up via speaker wire and set your receivers front crossover to 40Hz. When listening to music push the "direct" or "pure direct" button on the front of your receiver. This will now bypass the 40Hz crossover on your mains and send the full signal to your 7001's. when done listening to music just hit the "direct" button again and your receiver will once again put the 40Hz crossover back on the 7001's for movies.
post #28143 of 30941
joeatdefinitive,

Question, Why does the DefTech web site say the BP8060ST's have 1 10" driver and 1 10" passive radiator?

Mine seem to have 1 driver and 2 passive radiators....
post #28144 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

HD 335 hooking up a sub to a center is very easy. First off I chose a Def Tech sub solely based on the fact that when you hook up their Prosub 800 or higher models ( in my case a Prosub 1000) using speaker wire the sub uses its own built in crossover set at 80Hz ( the Prosub 600 crosses at 100Hz).

So what you do is run standard speaker wire from your receiver's center channel out to the center channel subwoofers speaker in connection. Then another set of speaker wire from the speaker out on the back of the center channel sub to your center speaker. Red to red and black to black. Then set your crossover on the center channel (using your receiver) to 40Hz. What this does is your receiver will send everything above 40Hz along the center speaker wire and anything below 40Hz gets sent to your "Main" subwoofer ( not your center channel sub ). Now that 40Hz and up will go through your sub hooked up to the center channel and will play only 40-80Hz ( because the center channel subs internal crossover is set at 80Hz. Now anything above 80hz (80Hz-20 kHz) will be sent out of the sub out speaker wire connection to the center channel. So now your center channel and hooked up "mid bass" sub will play 40Hz - 20kHz with no strain on the speaker or hooked up sub. Adjust the gain on the center sub to the level that best matches your "Mains" and you are now done.

Thanks for the tip UofAZ1. Will this work with a SuperCube II? All I see is high level in L/R and out L/R for speaker wire.
post #28145 of 30941
HD 355 yep those are the connections you'll use same as my Prosub. I would also set the Supercube II TO 40Hz also. If set to Large the SCII will sound boomy.
post #28146 of 30941
Quote:
Question, Why does the DefTech web site say the BP8060ST's have 1 10" driver and 1 10" passive radiator?

Mine seem to have 1 driver and 2 passive radiators....

Simple mis-type I think.
post #28147 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Simple mis-type I think.

I think so as well, but this will lead many to think the FR claims are exaggerated on these speakers....

Just my .02....
post #28148 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Not sure if it’s the same on your Yamaha but on my Denon I saw the same thing… after messing around with it I figured out that I needed to edit “Front/Main/whatever it’s called” manually to show the individual L/R, Center, and Rear.

Lower the "Front/Main" crossover setting all the way down until you see “Individual”. The L/R, C and Rear should appear. Hope that works for you on the Yamaha too.

As far as I can tell, there's no individual settings for crossovers. But I'll try what you mentioned and see if that works.
post #28149 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Hook your speakers up via speaker wire and set your receivers front crossover to 40Hz. When listening to music push the "direct" or "pure direct" button on the front of your receiver. This will now bypass the 40Hz crossover on your mains and send the full signal to your 7001's. when done listening to music just hit the "direct" button again and your receiver will once again put the 40Hz crossover back on the 7001's for movies.

The Direct or Pure Direct modes do not change the speakers to full range. These modes simply eliminate any processing such as EQ and Standing Wave. If your speakers are set to Small with a crossover, the Direct and Pure Direct modes just use the Channel Level, Speaker Distance and Crossover setting that was selected during the initial set up. The only way to get full range is to manually go into the System Setup menu and change the speakers to Large.
post #28150 of 30941
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84

Simple mis-type I think.

I think so as well, but this will lead many to think the FR claims are exaggerated on these speakers....

Just my .02....

Well let's ask Joe. Joe how come the DT site says the the 8060 towers only have one passive radiator? It say two on the 8040's and 8080's? We know it has two. It shows in the pics it has two as well. PErhaps a mis-type?
post #28151 of 30941
^under the spec sheet
post #28152 of 30941
Its just a typo under the specs... Under the decripion it clearly says 2 passive radiators...smile.gif... No need to fret.
post #28153 of 30941
Quote:
Its just a typo under the specs... Under the decripion it clearly says 2 passive radiators...... No need to fret.

I knew they had two before I bought them.
post #28154 of 30941
Looking for some sub advice please.
I am in the process of putting together a home theater in my basement. So far I have the following components..
Front L/R: RLS III in-wall
Rear L/R RCS III in-ceiling

I am yet to buy the rest but was told the following center would match well with the RLS III speakers. (Due to my setup I couldn't mount the center speaker in-wall and a projector wasn't an option).
Center: CS-8040HD

What sub should I pair with the above system?
Def Tech suggested the SuperCube 4000, but I wanted to gauge opinion from this forum as to whether there is a better option out there. The HSU VTF15H looks good, but its much bigger and has less WAF. That said I don't want to be silly and get a crap sub just because of looks.
post #28155 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

Looking for some sub advice please.
I am in the process of putting together a home theater in my basement. So far I have the following components..
Front L/R: RLS III in-wall
Rear L/R RCS III in-ceiling

I am yet to buy the rest but was told the following center would match well with the RLS III speakers. (Due to my setup I couldn't mount the center speaker in-wall and a projector wasn't an option).
Center: CS-8040HD

What sub should I pair with the above system?
Def Tech suggested the SuperCube 4000, but I wanted to gauge opinion from this forum as to whether there is a better option out there. The HSU VTF15H looks good, but its much bigger and has less WAF. That said I don't want to be silly and get a crap sub just because of looks.

Should have added my room size:
13.5 feet wide x 42 feet long.
This is a very open room with the home theater setup one end and an open play area the other. The main viewing sofa is 16' back from the front wall.
I also have an open walkway to the left of the room so this is a very open room.
post #28156 of 30941
Quote:
What sub should I pair with the above system?
Def Tech suggested the SuperCube 4000, but I wanted to gauge opinion from this forum as to whether there is a better option out there. The HSU VTF15H looks good, but its much bigger and has less WAF. That said I don't want to be silly and get a crap sub just because of looks.

The 15h is a huge sub, my co-workers thought I bought a mini fridge when Fedex dropped it off. It performs amazing. On the flip side I wish to say no harsh words against Def Tech. I just bought several thousand in speakers so I am a Def Tech believer. I just did a bunch of research on how/why a subwoofer works. Three things, woofer size, enclosure size, and amplifier power. Ideally a subwoofer enclosure the size of a fridge would produce deep accurate bass with little distortion but is obviously impractical. What happens when you have a smaller subwoofer in a smaller enclosure is the only way to reproduce deep bass is to power it with a lot of watts. When this happens the woofer has to work upwards of 80% or above it's capacity. This poses the opportunity to create distortion. If you can have a bigger subwoofer work 40% of it's capacity vs. a smaller sub working 80% of it's capacity to create the same output the one working less obviously is running cleaner. I have had my window shake and can barely see the 15h move. It's like two guys who can bench press 300 pounds. Let's say for one guy his max is 330, so he can lift the weight but it won't be as clean and steady as a guy who can max 530 pounds. I have heard the sc 4000 in person and I was impressed but it's not fair to compare these two. They are in different categories.
post #28157 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Updated, Pro Monitor 1000's for front height to go with 8060 towers, 8040 center, 8040 rears and hsu vtf-15h subwoofer. Re-ran audyssey and have some great results. Music coming from the front is amazing!

Great setup! Was wondering what TV stand you're using, looks really nice.
post #28158 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

The 15h is a huge sub, my co-workers thought I bought a mini fridge when Fedex dropped it off. It performs amazing. On the flip side I wish to say no harsh words against Def Tech. I just bought several thousand in speakers so I am a Def Tech believer. I just did a bunch of research on how/why a subwoofer works. Three things, woofer size, enclosure size, and amplifier power. Ideally a subwoofer enclosure the size of a fridge would produce deep accurate bass with little distortion but is obviously impractical. What happens when you have a smaller subwoofer in a smaller enclosure is the only way to reproduce deep bass is to power it with a lot of watts. When this happens the woofer has to work upwards of 80% or above it's capacity. This poses the opportunity to create distortion. If you can have a bigger subwoofer work 40% of it's capacity vs. a smaller sub working 80% of it's capacity to create the same output the one working less obviously is running cleaner. I have had my window shake and can barely see the 15h move. It's like two guys who can bench press 300 pounds. Let's say for one guy his max is 330, so he can lift the weight but it won't be as clean and steady as a guy who can max 530 pounds. I have heard the sc 4000 in person and I was impressed but it's not fair to compare these two. They are in different categories.

I am comparing them based on a ball park price.
I understand the 15h is going to be better but I am sure its going to cause a WAF issue.
Ideally I would like something closer to the 15h in terms of capability but from a somewhat smaller system.. There is a huge difference between 12" and 25"
I understand its still going to be a compromise but I'm starting to learn my lesson when it comes to the WAF.
post #28159 of 30941
Quote:
Great setup! Was wondering what TV stand you're using, looks really nice.

I found it on craigslist for 100. He said it was like 300 new. I think it's from best buy. I have seen similar on their website, same style of the tv mounting part. I wanted that so I could get my center channel up. Theoretically You want it no more 12 inches below the towers for sonic performance. I could actually put something under it and bring it up another 4 inches or so. anyway, google images is my preferred way to search when looking for something by looks, lol!
post #28160 of 30941
Quote:
I am comparing them based on a ball park price.
I understand the 15h is going to be better but I am sure its going to cause a WAF issue.
Ideally I would like something closer to the 15h in terms of capability but from a somewhat smaller system.. There is a huge difference between 12" and 25"
I understand its still going to be a compromise but I'm starting to learn my lesson when it comes to the WAF.

If she is a factor the 15h may be an issue then. I think the sc 4000 performs well in a compact size. hsu also makes smaller ones too. Best of luck in your search!
post #28161 of 30941
Well hell I've got a question for you guys...I just noticed my left tower that is 8060-st the sub driver isn't working.I have to turn the gain knob up all the way to barely fell anything.Any possible fixes?...or am I screwed and have to send it god knows where...also the amp lights are both on so I don't get it...2 days ago I put my ear upto to left speaker and my ear shocked the tower and I hearda thump but *****y that ddidn't do anything...if so my god the speakers must not be grounded...I really need help on this...then I'll contact definitive...thx

UPDATE...just spoke to Chet at definitive and apparently my little shock tripped the protection circuit and all I had to do was unplug it and let it reset...WHEW!...lol...scared me to death...Chet was great and offered to send a new amp if needed...man I love definitive...wink.gif... OK panic over.
Edited by josh6113 - 1/25/13 at 1:49pm
post #28162 of 30941
Quote:
Well hell I've got a question for you guys...I just noticed my left tower that is 8060-st the sub driver isn't working.I have to turn the gain knob up all the way to barely fell anything.Any possible fixes?...or am I screwed and have to send it god knows where...also the amp lights are both on so I don't get it...2 days ago I put my ear upto to left speaker and my ear shocked the tower and I hearda thump but *****y that ddidn't do anything...if so my god the speakers must not be grounded...I really need help on this...then I'll contact definitive...thx

UPDATE...just spoke to Chet at definitive and apparently my little shock tripped the protection circuit and all I had to do was unplug it and let it reset...WHEW!...lol...scared me to death...Chet was great and offered to send a new amp if needed...man I love definitive...... OK panic over.

I was in suspense just reading this! then relief...
post #28163 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I was in suspense just reading this! then relief...

Lol...tell me about it but all is good...wink.gif...from now on I'll touch metal before I go near my speakers again...lol
post #28164 of 30941
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84

I was in suspense just reading this! then relief...

Lol...tell me about it but all is good......from now on I'll touch metal before I go near my speakers again...lol

Good to know though as I have been putting my ears all around since I got my setup weeks back
post #28165 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Good to know though as I have been putting my ears all around since I got my setup weeks back
Yes it was just one of those things...wink.gif...but good thing the amp has protection so if you ever notice anything just unplug the power for 60 seconds and then plug back in and it will reset.
post #28166 of 30941
Hey all, looking for my first HT setup which i will use for movies and music. Just curiuos, is this 8060ST 5.1 setup a good deal at 2k? Would this be a good set of speakers for a room with about 6500 cubic feet? Im guessing I would need a sub eventually. I have been and am close to buying a Polk LSi series (LSi15s, 7s and LSiC) and am just curious if this package at 2k is light years ahead or what. Thanks all!
post #28167 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Hey all, looking for my first HT setup which i will use for movies and music. Just curiuos, is this 8060ST 5.1 setup a good deal at 2k? Would this be a good set of speakers for a room with about 6500 cubic feet? Im guessing I would need a sub eventually. I have been and am close to buying a Polk LSi series (LSi15s, 7s and LSiC) and am just curious if this package at 2k is light years ahead or what. Thanks all!

The BP8060's would be a excellent music/HT system for a small to medium sized room. I think the built in subs are their only weakness, but they are still good and will work just fine will you can get a kick butt subwoofer. cool.gif Might want to demo the BP8080's though next to BP8060 since you have a larger room, don't just assume it will sound better. People have different preferences. Find some music and demo them both.
post #28168 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

The BP8060's would be a excellent music/HT system for a small to medium sized room. I think the built in subs are their only weakness, but they are still good and will work just fine will you can get a kick butt subwoofer. cool.gif Might want to demo the BP8080's though next to BP8060 since you have a larger room, don't just assume it will sound better. People have different preferences. Find some music and demo them both.

So is it due to the lack of bass it is small to medium sized? If i picked up a HSU or SVS 12 or 15 would that do the trick or will it be tough for the speakers themselves to fill a larger open space? Thanks for the reply
post #28169 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So is it due to the lack of bass it is small to medium sized? If i picked up a HSU or SVS 12 or 15 would that do the trick or will it be tough for the speakers themselves to fill a larger open space? Thanks for the reply

Could you post a pic of the room?
post #28170 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So is it due to the lack of bass it is small to medium sized? If i picked up a HSU or SVS 12 or 15 would that do the trick or will it be tough for the speakers themselves to fill a larger open space? Thanks for the reply

More the speakers themselves, I'm sure you'll be fine 95% of the time with BP8060's, but I myself like to crank it from time to time. I have a medium sized room and I think my ear will bleed before my BP7000SC run out of steam. I think they were designed to get LOUD yet still be graceful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread