or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 957

post #28681 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

That would make sense if it was on all of the new speaker line but as Joe said it was only added to a few products...meaning at least to me they serve a purpose...otherwise if just for protection they would be on all the new line...smile.gif

It actually may apply to speakers he didn't mention. The discussion was on the 8000 series so that may have been his focus. His reference to "our latest production run" implies DT may have had a reason to implement the safety screen and from this run on it will apply - something many manufacturers will do through the life cycle of a product/production. Could of been a manufacturing or internal handling correction or one due to excessive customer issues. I agree however, would help with those unwanted pesky little fingers probing the soft spots of the "socks".... biggrin.gif

Inquiry minds want to know... biggrin.gif

Cheers
post #28682 of 30929
So I have my 5.1 def tech setup (8060 fronts/center and 8040 surrounds) and have a couple mirage nanostat satellite speakers i could add to the mix. Would they compliment well to this setup? Due to placement issues, I could only use these as fronts/highs. I couldn't put them in the rear like i should in a 7.1 setup. Thoughts? is this worth it or should i just keep my 5.1 setup. Also, how high would i need to make these? Similar to my surrounds?
post #28683 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So I have my 5.1 def tech setup (8060 fronts/center and 8040 surrounds) and have a couple mirage nanostat satellite speakers i could add to the mix. Would they compliment well to this setup? Due to placement issues, I could only use these as fronts/highs. I couldn't put them in the rear like i should in a 7.1 setup. Thoughts? is this worth it or should i just keep my 5.1 setup. Also, how high would i need to make these? Similar to my surrounds?

I wouldnt bother. I tried height speakers with my definitive setup, I wound up taking them down
post #28684 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I wouldnt bother. I tried height speakers with my definitive setup, I wound up taking them down

Thanks for the honest feedback! I was wondering the same thing myself. It would be a hassle for me to get them up, but I would do it if it is worth it.
post #28685 of 30929
I agree with g_bartman -- don't bother. They will only compromise the overall sound quali of your front soundstage.
post #28686 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I agree with g_bartman -- don't bother. They will only compromise the overall sound quali of your front soundstage.

That is two votes, decision made! Thanks! The AVS community is proves it is amazing yet again!
post #28687 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

That is two votes, decision made! Thanks! The AVS community is proves it is amazing yet again!
smile.gif...how are you enjoying your system so far?
post #28688 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

smile.gif...how are you enjoying your system so far?

Loving it! Thanks for asking! I don't think I could be happier. I am very happy especially given the large space it is trying to fill. The setup is not optimal by any means and I am very happy with how it makes things sound. Now i need to focus on room treatments such as bass traps, etc. I just dont know where to begin or best placement for that. That will probably be the next thing I investigate/research, haha.
post #28689 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Loving it! Thanks for asking! I don't think I could be happier. I am very happy especially given the large space it is trying to fill. The setup is not optimal by any means and I am very happy with how it makes things sound. Now i need to focus on room treatments such as bass traps, etc. I just dont know where to begin or best placement for that. That will probably be the next thing I investigate/research, haha.
Sounds good...smile.gif...and I'm with you on room treatments next...I'll dable in that here soon...smile.gif...any fav bluray movies you have watched on your system?
post #28690 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Sounds good...smile.gif...and I'm with you on room treatments next...I'll dable in that here soon...smile.gif...any fav bluray movies you have watched on your system?

So far the Avengers. I need to get the new Batman and test that out though. My favorite music blu ray is Dave and Tim at Radio City. It sounds and looks amazing!
post #28691 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

So far the Avengers. I need to get the new Batman and test that out though. My favorite music blu ray is Dave and Tim at Radio City. It sounds and looks amazing!
Cool...the Avengers is a great movie....The dark knight rises is also explosive.....crazy bass...smile.gif....I've heard from others that the scene where batman chases Bane from the stock exchange and batman goes into the alley and comes out flying the bat....that scene has shut down peoples systems because of the effect...lol...not my system though....I have it about -20-25 on my avr and all is good...scary good actually...smile.gif
post #28692 of 30929
I have recently bought definitive 8060st towers with surrounds (8000 series). I love the sound so far.

I have paired this with Onkyo TX NR 609. When I run the audssey setup, the front/center came to 40hz, surround 100hz and LFE 120 hz. Should i select full band of leave these settings.

Also Level calibration is 5db (front left), 2 db(center), 6db (front left), 4db (surround right), 5 db (surround left), 15 db (subwoofer). I do not know much about what I get by adjusting this so any input will help.

Also in an 5.0 speaker, my speaker is on the left and right of the primary listening place. in onkyo does it make sense to use them as surround back or just surround?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been helpful in me selecting the speaker. I hope some one can help me understand the technicals now.
post #28693 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Cool...the Avengers is a great movie....The dark knight rises is also explosive.....crazy bass...smile.gif....I've heard from others that the scene where batman chases Bane from the stock exchange and batman goes into the alley and comes out flying the bat....that scene has shut down peoples systems because of the effect...lol...not my system though....I have it about -20-25 on my avr and all is good...scary good actually...smile.gif

I have four mid bass subs along with my BP7001's and my SVS NSD 12/2 for all bass below 40Hz the Bat in the alley scene was friggin insane. I demo'd that scene for a coworker and his wife at -7 and after they recovered his wife immediately said, "Honey we are definitely upgrading our system.
post #28694 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by paribest View Post

I have recently bought definitive 8060st towers with surrounds (8000 series). I love the sound so far.

I have paired this with Onkyo TX NR 609. When I run the audssey setup, the front/center came to 40hz, surround 100hz and LFE 120 hz. Should i select full band of leave these settings.

Also Level calibration is 5db (front left), 2 db(center), 6db (front left), 4db (surround right), 5 db (surround left), 15 db (subwoofer). I do not know much about what I get by adjusting this so any input will help.

Also in an 5.0 speaker, my speaker is on the left and right of the primary listening place. in onkyo does it make sense to use them as surround back or just surround?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been helpful in me selecting the speaker. I hope some one can help me understand the technicals now.

First of all you should set your tower subs equally at 75db before running Audyssey. If you don't have an spl meter you can at least use a free app on your smart phone. What kind of sub do you have? The Onkyo tx-nr609 only have audyssey 2eq so it won't apply any filtering to the subwoofer which is where it is needed most. cool.gif
post #28695 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by paribest View Post


Also in an 5.0 speaker, my speaker is on the left and right of the primary listening place. in onkyo does it make sense to use them as surround back or just surround

If I understand your question, always connect to the surround terminals first. "Back" surrounds are only used if surrounds already exist. Most processors will return an error if you try to use SB without S anyway.
post #28696 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

I have four mid bass subs along with my BP7001's and my SVS NSD 12/2 for all bass below 40Hz the Bat in the alley scene was friggin insane. I demo'd that scene for a coworker and his wife at -7 and after they recovered his wife immediately said, "Honey we are definitely upgrading our system.
Lol...I can imagine...if I had your setup I wouldn't have windows...smile.gif
post #28697 of 30929
Does anyone have an idea what type of replacement spikes I can use with the BP7002's. I'm wondering if standard spikes will be okay. I haven't seen my factory spikes in quite a few years and since they are now in a carpeted room, I wanted to put the spikes on.

Thanks in advance
post #28698 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbadleroybrown View Post

Does anyone have an idea what type of replacement spikes I can use with the BP7002's. I'm wondering if standard spikes will be okay. I haven't seen my factory spikes in quite a few years and since they are now in a carpeted room, I wanted to put the spikes on.

Thanks in advance
Contact Chet @ DefTech, I'm sure he'll send you one at no cost. wink.gif
post #28699 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbadleroybrown View Post

Does anyone have an idea what type of replacement spikes I can use with the BP7002's. I'm wondering if standard spikes will be okay. I haven't seen my factory spikes in quite a few years and since they are now in a carpeted room, I wanted to put the spikes on.

Thanks in advance

As Landshark mentioned above, or any 1/4 inch standard-course thread speaker spikes will work (1/4-20 I believe).

Cheers
post #28700 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratified View Post

More protection for a speaker, the better; well atleast till it effects the sound. Had some older JBL towers with titanium dome tweeters that kept getting in the way of my daughter's, niece's, and nephew's little fingers. Replaced several of those things before actually made some mesh grilles to cover them.cool.gif
Hi Ratified and Josh, it's a simple protection measure, and again, it doesn't affect the sound. The other products in the 8000 series have slightly different amp designs and adding screens wasn't deemed to have additional benefit. Best, Joe
post #28701 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

As Landshark mentioned above, or any 1/4 inch standard-course thread speaker spikes will work (1/4-20 I believe).

Cheers
Yes Leroy and KJ, Landshark's right, we have replacements in stock, and yes, any 1/4 - 20 spike will work. Some folks prefer to use Tiptoes or other upgrade spikes. Best, Joe
Edited by joeatdefinitive - 3/8/13 at 7:28am
post #28702 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

If I understand your question, always connect to the surround terminals first. "Back" surrounds are only used if surrounds already exist. Most processors will return an error if you try to use SB without S anyway.

thank you
post #28703 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

First of all you should set your tower subs equally at 75db before running Audyssey. If you don't have an spl meter you can at least use a free app on your smart phone. What kind of sub do you have? The Onkyo tx-nr609 only have audyssey 2eq so it won't apply any filtering to the subwoofer which is where it is needed most. cool.gif

Thanks jlpowell84, are they any settings you can recommend with out using Audyssey. Will it make sense to run the speakers on full band rather some frequency.
post #28704 of 30929
Anyone have any comments on my earlier question on page 956? I'm really just looking for some thoughts on the kind of upgrade I'd be getting if I moved from bp8040 fronts to bp7001s. I have the cs8080 center for reference. And I'd be getting them for $1500. Any comments welcome.

Cheers
post #28705 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer740 View Post

Anyone have any comments on my earlier question on page 956? I'm really just looking for some thoughts on the kind of upgrade I'd be getting if I moved from bp8040 fronts to bp7001s. I have the cs8080 center for reference. And I'd be getting them for $1500. Any comments welcome.

Cheers

It's strange no one with specific experience chimed in.. I auditioned/listened to both the 8040s and 8060s. I have owned the older BP2000s since 1997 and BP7000s for the last several years. Both have the larger 6.5 drivers and of course larger subs. I have never heard them side by side but admit while listening to the newer 8000s, however great sounding, I still preferred the fullness and sound of the larger 6.5 drivers. I believe your original question was focused on the sub - the 7000 has a 14 inch sub where the 7001 is a bit smaller, yet I'm sure it would out perform the 8040. Overal if the 7001s are new for $1500 and that's the total price, not $1500 more on top of trading in your 8040s,, IMHO I personally would do it.
Things to consider are the 8040s are the new design and will continue to be supported longer by DT. Some may question / have issues involving mixing new with old "timber" wise. I've heard the 8080 center blended well with the 7000 series (owner comments) yet maybe Joe will chime in with comments on old and new matching between surrounds, backs and mains. Then again there are always DT towers with 6.5s on the used market that you could pick up at a bargain if looking for standing surrounds etc.
Overal, I believe the 7001s sound better than the 8040s, but depending on your current or future 5.1/7.1 or beyond plans, hanging on to the 8040s may be the better option.

Cheers
post #28706 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer740 View Post

Anyone have any comments on my earlier question on page 956? I'm really just looking for some thoughts on the kind of upgrade I'd be getting if I moved from bp8040 fronts to bp7001s. I have the cs8080 center for reference. And I'd be getting them for $1500. Any comments welcome.

Cheers

I have had my 7001's for several years now and love them. If i had that deal i would pick them up so that i could have matching surrounds smile.gif
I have not heard the new 8000 series as of yet, so i am of no help to you as far as sound comparison. The 7001's have the supercube 1 built into them which is a 10" sub with a D class 1500w amp unlike the supercube reference a 14" sub with a D class 1800w amp in the 7000's
post #28707 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

It's strange no one with specific experience chimed in.. I auditioned/listened to both the 8040s and 8060s. I have owned the older BP2000s since 1997 and BP7000s for the last several years. Both have the larger 6.5 drivers and of course larger subs. I have never heard them side by side but admit while listening to the newer 8000s, however great sounding, I still preferred the fullness and sound of the larger 6.5 drivers. I believe your original question was focused on the sub - the 7000 has a 14 inch sub where the 7001 is a bit smaller, yet I'm sure it would out perform the 8040. Overal if the 7001s are new for $1500 and that's the total price, not $1500 more on top of trading in your 8040s,, IMHO I personally would do it.
Things to consider are the 8040s are the new design and will continue to be supported longer by DT. Some may question / have issues involving mixing new with old "timber" wise. I've heard the 8080 center blended well with the 7000 series (owner comments) yet maybe Joe will chime in with comments on old and new matching between surrounds, backs and mains. Then again there are always DT towers with 6.5s on the used market that you could pick up at a bargain if looking for standing surrounds etc.
Overal, I believe the 7001s sound better than the 8040s, but depending on your current or future 5.1/7.1 or beyond plans, hanging on to the 8040s may be the better option.

Cheers

I have the bp 7000s with the 8080hd center. The front soundstage blends perfectly with no noticeable difference. The CLR 3000 would be an ideal match but they seem to be tough to find on the used market. If anything, the newer tweeter in the 8080 is ever so slightly more laid back and smooth which is just fine for dialogue/center channel duties. I agree with you KJ that the 7001s would sound better and be a better bang for the buck.
post #28708 of 30929
Hi there all,

Looking at buying a pair of BP700SC as my mains in a HT setup. I just have a couple of questions. I like the thin profile of the mythos ten as a center channel, but is the CS-8080HD going to be a much better match with the 7000sc? Also, I would love to switch to separates in the future but for right now I would be pushing these with a Pioneer Elite SC-57, good enough? any thoughts are appreciated
post #28709 of 30929
Thinking of upgrading to Def techs from Polk. Few questions:

1. What's a good in ceiling speaker to match with the 8040's? Room setup stipulates rears be in ceiling.

2. Pioneer Elite sc-61 a good match for these speakers?

3. Do you really not need a separate sub with these speakers? Yes total noob here!

4. Worth it spend more to upgrade to the 8060s?
post #28710 of 30929
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ckets11 View Post

Thinking of upgrading to Def techs from Polk. Few questions:

1. What's a good in ceiling speaker to match with the 8040's? Room setup stipulates rears be in ceiling.

2. Pioneer Elite sc-61 a good match for these speakers?

3. Do you really not need a separate sub with these speakers? Yes total noob here!

4. Worth it spend more to upgrade to the 8060s?

I found that I do need a sub with my 8060s. It is a fairly large space so that might have something to do with it. As far as is it worth the upgrade, I really like my 8060s, but have not compared them to the 40s. Regarding the Pioneer, the only issues I have heard with them is their crossovers are not very configurable. Where you run into problems sometimes is you cant have your fronts set to small and crossover your surrouns at 80 while having the towers lower since they can handle it. With Def Techs that can be a challenge since these speakers can hit the lower frequencies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread