or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 961

post #28801 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsampsell View Post

I bought the BP-8060STs, the CS-8080HD and the SR-8080s and am running them off of an Emotiva XPA-5 with my Denon AVR-4311CI as the pre/pro. I am only using a PS3 for my Blurays but I have been seriously impressed as well with this setup. The speakers sounded great run off of the 4311 but when I added the XPA-5, man it just took it all to a new level. I also came from Polk Audio: Monitor 70 front L/R, CS20 center and RM7 satellites from my previous RM85 satellite system. I was also running two Infinity PS212 subs. I initially tried the 8060s by themselves and was blown away at the bass output. I have since added the PS212s back into the mix just for additional help. I'm running the 8060s as small with the lowest crossover that the 4311 allows. I haven't had enough time to tinker and find out what setup really works best but overall I am so excited about my new stuff. This is the best my movies have ever sounded.

On the downside, the movies sound great but two-channel music doesn't sound so good and I don't know why yet. I'm still hoping for some time to look into that too.

You might want to look at the final Audyssey XT32 settings for two-channel. If you want, you can choose "Custom" and set Subwoofer=yes, crossover at whatever setting you have for the regular setting (knowing Audyssey, that would be 40 Hz). Then the subs will always be "on" the way they are for multichannel content.

However, I should point out that you should experiment with a crossover of 60 or 80 Hz to see if the bass is better (meaning deeper and more integrated soundstage) in the 40 to 80 Hz region by having your subs handle it. If you're using standard Audyssey (vs. Pro), you can raise your crossover from the ones that Audyssey set. You just can't lower them from what Audyssey came up with.

FWIW, you'll find a lot of guys on the Audyssey & 4311 threads that run their mains, DefTech BP and Mythos towers included, at 80 Hz crossover. I've seen CS-8080HD crossover ranging from 60 Hz to as high as 90-100 Hz. I did a lot of agonizing, and utimately found that with my ULS-15s, the 90/100 Hz crossovers actually sounded better at the end of the day. YMMV, depending on your room and setup.
Edited by sdrucker - 3/14/13 at 11:07am
post #28802 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi Stuart, you raise a couple of very good points yourself! As I am both marketing manager and international sales manager, I would say that the average AVS Forum Definitive fan is quite a bit more enthusiastic about home theater and music than many of our customers! I can even see a difference between the interactions on this thread and on the DT Mythos thread, and the ProCinema thread.
A second point is that because we offer such a broad range of products, we sell to many consumer types. McIntosh or Pass Labs basically sell high-end goods, while other vendors play only in the low end. Definitive sells to audiophiles, yet we are equally proud of products like our SM 45 and ProCinema 600 (which I think are killer values BTW), and which appeal to a wide range of consumers. I hope this helps - best, Joe

The Mythos ST thread seems a little more settled down, probably because most of the initial guys that posted in the beginning are happy with them!

Those are two broad hats you wear, Joe. And there's something to be said for having a broad portfolio of products, so that consumers can move up (hopefully not down) in the line as lifestyle changes, plus it appeals to the broad cross-section of likely consumers. Narrow product niches only work if you have a) high margins or b) low overhead. Meaning we all can't be Seaton Submersive owners smile.gif
post #28803 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Joe your post was informative but I must disagree with your thoughts on the "powered subwoofer" in your center channel speakers. I would never ever recommend setting any center to Large (not even the awesome LCR3000). The best those 8" and 10" subs can do with the 150 watt amp and enclosure they're in, is at best 40Hz before dropping off and introducing distortion. The last thing you want your customers to do is to hinder the sound quality of their center speaker is by forcing the speaker to produce frequencies it can't possibly handle. Heck I have a separate Prosub1000 hooked to my LCR2002 with the larger enclosure 10" driver, 10" passive radiator and 300 watt amp and I have it set at 40hz. When set to Large not even the Prosub can handle any bass below 37Hz before it starts to break up. Best bet for any powered center speaker is set to small with a crossover of 40-80Hz.
Hello U of A, you make some fine points. But I am a little confused that you must disagree with my thoughts on the powered sub in the center channel. I did not say that the center must be set to large. In fact you're right that if you have a separate sub, you might as well let it handle what it does best - generate deep bass. But I sold as a rep / distributor fo 7 years, and many of the viewers of these posts might be surprised at how many couples simply refuse to buy a sub! In that case, especially if they don't plan to play the system too loud, setting the center channel to large is not such an unreasonable thing to do. What folks want to do with these products really runs the gamut. Again, thank you for your points as they are good ones - best, Joe
post #28804 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hello U of A, you make some fine points. But I am a little confused that you must disagree with my thoughts on the powered sub in the center channel. I did not say that the center must be set to large. In fact you're right that if you have a separate sub, you might as well let it handle what it does best - generate deep bass. But I sold as a rep / distributor fo 7 years, and many of the viewers of these posts might be surprised at how many couples simply refuse to buy a sub! In that case, especially if they don't plan to play the system too loud, setting the center channel to large is not such an unreasonable thing to do. What folks want to do with these products really runs the gamut. Again, thank you for your points as they are good ones - best, Joe

IMO that's what makes Definitive so great. There is no perfect setup for everyone. You have so many options to do what works for YOU!
post #28805 of 30958
Promonitor 800 or Studio Monitor 350?

I am having trouble deciding between them. I've listened to the promonitor 800's in store and I really liked their sound. I was looking at best buy's clearance department for my local store and I came across the pro studio 350's. The promonitors are $145 each, while the studio 350's are $200 a pair. I understand the 350's are larger and more powerful, and they are an excellent value at this price, but are they a bit much for a living room that is 18x11 feet? Also, my living room/dining room areas are connected in an L-shape and its dimensions are 12x10 feet. Both rooms have 8 foot tall ceilings. My receiver is a Harmon kardon avr1700 @100 watts/channel. I plan to use these in a 2.1 channel setup first, then I will look at some surrounds later on. Thanks in advance.
post #28806 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodaddy View Post

Promonitor 800 or Studio Monitor 350?

I am having trouble deciding between them. I've listened to the promonitor 800's in store and I really liked their sound. I was looking at best buy's clearance department for my local store and I came across the pro studio 350's. The promonitors are $145 each, while the studio 350's are $200 a pair. I understand the 350's are larger and more powerful, and they are an excellent value at this price, but are they a bit much for a living room that is 18x11 feet? Also, my living room/dining room areas are connected in an L-shape and its dimensions are 12x10 feet. Both rooms have 8 foot tall ceilings. My receiver is a Harmon kardon avr1700 @100 watts/channel. I plan to use these in a 2.1 channel setup first, then I will look at some surrounds later on. Thanks in advance.

zodaddy, I have 350s in a smaller room that's open to a larger room. They replaced ProMonitor 1000s, the larger cousin of the 800, which I then used as back-surrounds. The 350 is not even close to being too big for your room; indeed, the dimensions you cite would strike me as perhaps being too big for the 800 if you plan to play anything at all loud. The 1000 is closer to being sonically equivalent to the 350 than the 800 is. I would take a $200 pair of 350's over a $290 pair of 800s in a heartbeat, assuming I had an appropriate placement for them. The 450 for $280/pr shipped from Newegg may be an even better choice.

How would you be using the speakers? By themselves in a 2.0 system? With a subwoofer? As part of a surround system? There is definitely some variance among the speakers mentioned in this post as regards bass extension.
Edited by rdclark - 3/14/13 at 8:48pm
post #28807 of 30958
Thanks, I am considering the 450's now. I plan on using them with a subwoofer in a 2.1 speaker setup. I have a Polk psw505 that I really like and I want to use these two with it for the time being. Later on, maybe in a few months, I will upgrade to a 5.1 setup and maybe use these as the surrounds.
post #28808 of 30958
The combination of the 350s or the 450s and a decent sub will absolutely rock as a 2.1 system, particularly for music. You might be able to cross the 450s over a little lower and get a bit bigger sound as a result -- and that's what I'd do particularly for loud music -- but I think you'll get fine results with either one, and better than the 800s.
post #28809 of 30958
Hi guys quick question on the LFE for the BP200TL.
Does it make a huge difference if I use an RCA cable to the LFE on the BP2002 or is the speaker wire "enough"?

Option 1
Use RCA to the LFE and set Speaker size to Small?
- Does it make a difference if I use both both LFE RCA inputs?

Option 2
Use speaker wire to and set Speaker to Large?

-Brian
post #28810 of 30958
Due to placement and speaker height constraints (as it is sitting on the TV's stand) I was trying to get away with a ProCenter 1000 as a center to go with my Mythos 8 L/R and RSS II side surrounds, but I'm fairly underwhelmed by the ProCenter 1000's performance, which can be seen in the REW graph below comparing it with the Mythos 8. It seems that for the ProCenter 1000 in my room the SPL falls off by -6db around 150hz and is not audible at 80hz (the suggested crossover).

pc1000-v-m8.jpg 78k .jpg file

This setup is in a 20x20 room in an open floorplan that is ~8000 cubic feet. Is my room defeating this speaker? Or is the speaker defective? Both speakers have had 10's of hours on them.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #28811 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hello U of A, you make some fine points. But I am a little confused that you must disagree with my thoughts on the powered sub in the center channel. I did not say that the center must be set to large. In fact you're right that if you have a separate sub, you might as well let it handle what it does best - generate deep bass. But I sold as a rep / distributor fo 7 years, and many of the viewers of these posts might be surprised at how many couples simply refuse to buy a sub! In that case, especially if they don't plan to play the system too loud, setting the center channel to large is not such an unreasonable thing to do. What folks want to do with these products really runs the gamut. Again, thank you for your points as they are good ones - best, Joe

Sorry Joe I have a habit of posting in the middle of the night with very little sleep and a page back when you were posting on the benefits of the subs in the towers and center I mistook that as also setting the sub in the center as Large which from what I read many people do which to me is a mistake. But you are correct sir and you did not say that so I apologize. But do plead with you to help bring back the BP-30 at least on a limited run. ;-)
post #28812 of 30958
Question on center Upgrade.

I am in the process of upgrading my 50" pioneer plasma to a 65" model. The 50 was hung above the fireplace and I was limited to the size of my center as it had to fit on the mantel. Best I could do was a pro 2000. My 65 is being wall mounted with no restrictions underneath, and I have my BP 6b's on the floor. I was thinking of taking advantage of the new real estate and adding a mythos eight and selling the 2000.
What is the consensus on a good match with the 6b's? The new center can either be wall mounted or placed on top of a stand. I appreciate any input the forum can offer, thanks.
post #28813 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Due to placement and speaker height constraints (as it is sitting on the TV's stand) I was trying to get away with a ProCenter 1000 as a center to go with my Mythos 8 L/R and RSS II side surrounds, but I'm fairly underwhelmed by the ProCenter 1000's performance, which can be seen in the REW graph below comparing it with the Mythos 8. It seems that for the ProCenter 1000 in my room the SPL falls off by -6db around 150hz and is not audible at 80hz (the suggested crossover).

Hey Jeff,
Not sure if there may or may not be something wrong with your speaker, and not sure your exact height constraints, but if you decide to go a different route I have a 3 week old ProCenter 2000 for sale I could sell you for $250 shipped biggrin.gif Good luck with figuring out your problem, and if you're at all interested PM me!
post #28814 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos54 View Post

Question on center Upgrade.

I am in the process of upgrading my 50" pioneer plasma to a 65" model. The 50 was hung above the fireplace and I was limited to the size of my center as it had to fit on the mantel. Best I could do was a pro 2000. My 65 is being wall mounted with no restrictions underneath, and I have my BP 6b's on the floor. I was thinking of taking advantage of the new real estate and adding a mythos eight and selling the 2000.
What is the consensus on a good match with the 6b's? The new center can either be wall mounted or placed on top of a stand. I appreciate any input the forum can offer, thanks.

I think a CLR 2002 would be a better match than the Mythos center. I haven't heard the mythos center, but I would be willing to bet the CLR would match better (since it's the matching speaker) and it's only ~$150 used.
post #28815 of 30958
Joe,

I have the perfect product idea that I believe would sell off the shelves to the die hard audiophiles. How about bringing back the large speakers? It could have two 8 1/2" drivers on each side along with the standard aluminum tweeter. Put a subwoofer in there that will go so low that empty glasses in the same room would be a bad idea. I'll buy the first run smile.gif
post #28816 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleatusCat View Post

Joe,

I have the perfect product idea that I believe would sell off the shelves to the die hard audiophiles. How about bringing back the large speakers?

I TOTALLY agree!!!! I know a TON of people - not to mention the people on this forum - that absolutely LOVE the sound of the old bigger speakers (i.e. the BP30's, BP7000's) compared to that of the new BP towers. BRING BACK THE BEASTS biggrin.gif
post #28817 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Due to placement and speaker height constraints (as it is sitting on the TV's stand) I was trying to get away with a ProCenter 1000 as a center to go with my Mythos 8 L/R and RSS II side surrounds, but I'm fairly underwhelmed by the ProCenter 1000's performance, which can be seen in the REW graph below comparing it with the Mythos 8. It seems that for the ProCenter 1000 in my room the SPL falls off by -6db around 150hz and is not audible at 80hz (the suggested crossover).

pc1000-v-m8.jpg 78k .jpg file

This setup is in a 20x20 room in an open floorplan that is ~8000 cubic feet. Is my room defeating this speaker? Or is the speaker defective? Both speakers have had 10's of hours on them.

Thanks,
Jeff

If I go with a taller/deep speaker I'll have to mount it above my TV that is already above the fireplace mantel but is 16" from the wall (a chamfered corner). Thinking either a Mythos Eight, Mythos Nine, CS-8040HD or CS-8060HD -- leaning towards the 8060 else Nine, any suggestions?
post #28818 of 30958
KJSMITTY whats your opinion here im thinking about buying a used pair of bp7001sc towers to replace a set of my bp3000tl's that I use for surrounds. Than thinking maybe I should just use the 7001's as mains since I have a 7001 as a center and leave the bp3000's as surrounds.
Anyone can chime in
post #28819 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

KJSMITTY whats your opinion here im thinking about buying a used pair of bp7001sc towers to replace a set of my bp3000tl's that I use for surrounds. Than thinking maybe I should just use the 7001's as mains since I have a 7001 as a center and leave the bp3000's as surrounds.
Anyone can chime in

Greetings,
I ran my BP7000s as mains and BP2000s for surrounds for quite awhile and really liked it. The subs/low end is definitely different between the two yet complimented each nicely. Not sure of your config yet I had both left subs connected to one sub/LFE out and the two rights on the other sub/LFE out - thus all acting as one. I too would probably place the three 7001s across the front. The taller 3000s would give your surrounds that tad bit of height as well.

Fun times.

Cheers
post #28820 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Greetings,
I ran my BP7000s as mains and BP2000s for surrounds for quite awhile and really liked it. The subs/low end is definitely different between the two yet complimented each nicely. Not sure of your config yet I had both left subs connected to one sub/LFE out and the two rights on the other sub/LFE out - thus all acting as one. I too would probably place the three 7001s across the front. The taller 3000s would give your surrounds that tad bit of height as well.

Fun times.

Cheers
Here is a pic of my configuration

post #28821 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Here is a pic of my configuration


James:

Such a sweet setup!
post #28822 of 30958
Hey,

I recently purchased BP8080SR speakers to replace my Mythos Gems for rear surrounds. I have a Marantz SR6006 that allows me to move up to 7.1 and my question here is should I keep the Mythos Gems as my rear surrounds or move them to my L/R surround and the BP8080SR as rear surrounds?

Thanks for your help
post #28823 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4maous View Post

Hey,

I recently purchased BP8080SR speakers to replace my Mythos Gems for rear surrounds. I have a Marantz SR6006 that allows me to move up to 7.1 and my question here is should I keep the Mythos Gems as my rear surrounds or move them to my L/R surround and the BP8080SR as rear surrounds?

First, it's worth emphasizing that every room, system, and listener is different, so experimenting -- placing speakers in temporary locations to see what sounds best -- is always going to reveal what works best.

Next, let's clarify terminology. The speaker terminals on your AVR labeled "surround" -- the only surround speakers used in a 5.1 setup -- are intended for what people sometimes call the "side surround" (usually just called "surround") speakers. These are recommended by Dolby, THX, etc. to be located to the sides and perhaps a bit behind the listening position, aimed inward.

The "back surround" terminals are for the additional speakers in a 7.1 system, Located behind the listeners and aimed forward.

So... bipolar speakers are commonly used as surrounds and mounted on the side walls so that they can provide a diffuse, less directional source consistent with the idea that surround channels in movies are frequently used mostly for "ambience" rather than for specific, locatable sounds. This also emulates the way arrays of multiple surround speakers are used in theaters.

So based on that principle, it would make sense to use your BPs on the sides. Plus, they are perhaps a bit more capable than the Gems and, since the "side" surrounds are the primary surrounds in a system, it makes sense to use them there.

On the other hand, surround music is generally mixed using five identical directional speakers, all aimed right at the listening position. If you listen to much surround music, you might want to use the more conventional Gems as surrounds and the more ambient BPs as back-surround, where they would only come into play when you were using actual 7.1 sources (almost always movies) or 5.1 material in DPLIIx mode.

In the end it will be your needs and preferences, combined with the demands of the room and its layout and acoustics, that inform your choices.
post #28824 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

Due to placement and speaker height constraints (as it is sitting on the TV's stand) I was trying to get away with a ProCenter 1000 as a center to go with my Mythos 8 L/R and RSS II side surrounds, but I'm fairly underwhelmed by the ProCenter 1000's performance, which can be seen in the REW graph below comparing it with the Mythos 8. It seems that for the ProCenter 1000 in my room the SPL falls off by -6db around 150hz and is not audible at 80hz (the suggested crossover).

pc1000-v-m8.jpg 78k .jpg file

This setup is in a 20x20 room in an open floorplan that is ~8000 cubic feet. Is my room defeating this speaker? Or is the speaker defective? Both speakers have had 10's of hours on them.

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

If I go with a taller/deep speaker I'll have to mount it above my TV that is already above the fireplace mantel but is 16" from the wall (a chamfered corner). Thinking either a Mythos Eight, Mythos Nine, CS-8040HD or CS-8060HD -- leaning towards the 8060 else Nine, any suggestions?

Another update for whoever finds this useful:

I exchanged the ProCenter 1000 at Best Buy for another and found the replacement to have similar (lack of) low end performance ... so I returned it and ordered a CS-8060HD from Crutchfield -- very excited! I was able to get it from Crutchfield for ~28% off by picking up an open box and using gift cards from discover card cashback at a 20% discount.

Now I just have to figure out how to best mount the speaker above my TV. I will need to angle the speaker downward by about 10-15 degrees and the shelf will need to extend to about 16" from the wall to clear the top of the TV to avoid reflections. Any suggestions on an adjustable shelf -- ideally depth from 12-16", height up 3" or so, and up to 15 degree angle?
post #28825 of 30958
^^JJ,
Thanks for sharing your efforts with your gear,

The "mental image" I have of your TV above your FP had me thinking about utilizing your existing TV mount to facilitate a speaker mount above the display. How robust is your TV mount and how heavy is your TV? The 8060 center is around 25lbs thus if the combined weight of TV and 8060 would not exceed your mounts capacity a little DIY fabricated center stand might work well.

I would be considering two 90 degree angled brackets that mount up, over and out utilizing the mounting holes and brackets on the back of the display. You would have to devise a way to attach the 8060 to the 90 degree brackets, possibly utilizing the 8060s feet mounts/screw inserts (do they still have these?). Basically the 8060 would be perpendicular to the display thus at the same angle as the TV. I picture the top of your display being several inches away from the wall/FP thus the 8060 could be placed back against the wall helping to position the weight over the TV. The amount of the 8060 hanging out/over the display will probably result in a little flex or "hang" facilitating a better angle to the listener etc.

My goal here would be to minimize the look of a massive shelf and brackets given the setting yet at the same time ensuring the mount was robust and safe. I'm not sure what over the counter speaker stands are out there for this type of configuration but my guess is a custom mount is going to be the best option, functionally and cosmetically. Easy for me to say because I thrive on challenges and DIY projects like this... biggrin.gif

Cheers
post #28826 of 30958
^^KJ,

Yes I might look into building the VESA mount shelf. The TV is not yet mounted just sitting on its stand but the TV mount I've been looking at (Sanus VXF220) should handle both easily. But if I wall mount the speaker then I can defer TV mount until I replace the 58 with a 65/70 in a year or two..ah, decisions.

I wonder if the bass from the 8060 will be able to shake the mounted TV if they are coupled? I'll crossover at ~60-80 Hz to let the PSA XS15 (also arriving next week) do its job.
post #28827 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post

^^KJ,

Yes I might look into building the VESA mount shelf. The TV is not yet mounted just sitting on its stand but the TV mount I've been looking at (Sanus VXF220) should handle both easily. But if I wall mount the speaker then I can defer TV mount until I replace the 58 with a 65/70 in a year or two..ah, decisions.

I wonder if the bass from the 8060 will be able to shake the mounted TV if they are coupled? I'll crossover at ~60-80 Hz to let the PSA XS15 (also arriving next week) do its job.

Not sure if this is something that could work for you or not, but I ordered this heavy duty one from monoprice and it is mounting my 64in Sammy. (PN64E533). Plus it is about $140 shipped so a little cheaper

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=6517&seq=1&format=2
post #28828 of 30958
AppleMark

Got these for the 8040 center and 8060 towers. Cheap ones on Amazon. They look cool though.

So I just added a mac mini to the home theater system. I have loaded a few Apple lossless files and immediately noticeable differences in the mids and the bass thumps a little more. The biggest is the lower end of the more chesty vocals styles. i was playing a 256kbps vs ALAC of the same song. anyway the music just got a little bit better on these DT's! now if i can just figure out how to get PLIIx Music as a listening preset for the mac mini...
post #28829 of 30958
Does anyone know the exact depth of the CS-8060HD cabinet base without the knobs? DefTech's specs aren't clear if 12" depth is with or without knobs.

I'm looking for an aimable wall mount to install this weekend ahead of the speaker arrival early next week, such as using a pair of these:

Sanus WMS2

Another option is a CRT mount, although it'd mount to only one stud and the arm would be mounted to the wall 8" off center; the arm pivots and the shelf rotates so I could still center it though:

Sanus VMTV
Edited by jjcook - 3/20/13 at 7:45am
post #28830 of 30958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

AppleMark

Got these for the 8040 center and 8060 towers. Cheap ones on Amazon. They look cool though.

So I just added a mac mini to the home theater system. I have loaded a few Apple lossless files and immediately noticeable differences in the mids and the bass thumps a little more. The biggest is the lower end of the more chesty vocals styles. i was playing a 256kbps vs ALAC of the same song. anyway the music just got a little bit better on these DT's! now if i can just figure out how to get PLIIx Music as a listening preset for the mac mini...

What brand of cables are those? Look nicely built.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread