or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 974

post #29191 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

And the difference for a y splitter to the two towers and the other lfe out to the center would be the Denon X4000 has Sub EQ HT which is for setup of more than one sub (technically Audyssey will think the two towers connected y splitter via lfe are one sub. Which is why it's important to level match). This is an advantage over the 2313 if you wanted to run all front 3 lfe because the L/R towers will be a greater distance than the center to the MLP.

JL,
Just another nudge for you to use your 8060 with either speaker wire only or if want the RCA connection us the full range low level center out on the Denon. I've been a huge proponent of running the dedicated LFE/sub out into my DTs for the past 16 years. But never even considered it for the center. Full range center/amp low level out yes, but not from the sub out.

Your first trial is the way I would leave it until you purchase a dedicated sub then split one LFE to the 8040s and the other to the new sub(s) as others have mentioned. Because we know you will have one if not a pair of subs someday... biggrin.gif.

I'm a Yamaha guy yet am anxious to hear how the new Denons perform (with the DTs of course to keep it relevent :-))Keep us posted

Let the fun begin!
post #29192 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post

The towers should be the same distance from the listening position though, so they would get set with the same delay anyways, so it shouldn't be different than any other version of Audyssey. If for some reason they are different distances, then it could have a positive effect. I don't know why you would run LFE to the center either, it doesn't sound like a good idea and Definitive specifically says not to. If you did run LFE to the center, then it could delay it different than the towers.

Properly setting the speakers up, Sub EQ should have no effect if you don't have dedicated subwoofers and are just using equal distant towers for LFE. The center has a small, lower power sub that is only meant to help extend the frequency response of that channel, not act as a dedicated LFE channel. Getting Sub EQ specifically for this reason would most likely just make your system sound worse. Trying to push LFE though the center will just cause it to distort and sound bad, and with no high pass filter, I would guess it could damage it. If you're running it hot and send a <20Hz signal to it, I'm sure it wouldn't be happy.

Right, I was explaining a possible scenario of running lfe to the towers from a y splitter and the other lfe out to the center. I would never do lfe to the center but if someone actually wanted to then sub EQ could come into play. Then the delay would be properly timed with sub EQ locating what Audyssey would believe to be 2 subs (the towers as one and the centers as one).

But like it was mentioned running all speaker wire or lfe to the two towers is the same thing since both the sub and speakers have 512x resolution filters on multi EQ XT 32. All though if you run lfe to the towers you can have better manual control over crossovers
Edited by jlpowell84 - 5/4/13 at 10:14am
post #29193 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

JL,
Just another nudge for you to use your 8060 with either speaker wire only or if want the RCA connection us the full range low level center out on the Denon. I've been a huge proponent of running the dedicated LFE/sub out into my DTs for the past 16 years. But never even considered it for the center. Full range center/amp low level out yes, but not from the sub out.

Your first trial is the way I would leave it until you purchase a dedicated sub then split one LFE to the 8040s and the other to the new sub(s) as others have mentioned. Because we know you will have one if not a pair of subs someday... biggrin.gif.

I'm a Yamaha guy yet am anxious to hear how the new Denons perform (with the DTs of course to keep it relevent :-))Keep us posted

Let the fun begin!

Happy Saturday Smitty. We have been talking to Carminus. He has a 5.1 8040 towers, 8060 center, sr 8040 surrounds. He pre ordered the new Denon X4000 and has been inquiring about setup.

I have 8060 towers, 8040 center, 8040 back surrounds, pro monitor 1000 as side surrounds and a HSU VTF 15H subwoofer all processed by a Denon 3313 with Audyssey multi EQ XT.

On a side note I would be curious how you think your Rythmiks sound with Audyssey multi EQ XT 32... Considering Yamaha doesn't EQ lower frequencies correct?

I am advising a final setup for him of lfe to his towers and speaker wire elsewhere. This way one could have more control over crossovers.
post #29194 of 30941
I might throw in my studio monitor 350's in for 7.1. I may put the 350's in the back and the sr8040's for surrounds.

From my reading speakers in the front have more impact then the rears. I believe the 350's in a wide left right config would not work? Not that it matters since I don't have room for a wide front l/r.

June feels like a year away lol.
post #29195 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminus View Post

I might throw in my studio monitor 350's in for 7.1. I may put the 350's in the back and the sr8040's for surrounds.

From my reading speakers in the front have more impact then the rears. I believe the 350's in a wide left right config would not work? Not that it matters since I don't have room for a wide front l/r.

June feels like a year away lol.

You can do front heights, front wides or 2 extra surrounds with your Denon X4000 that's coming. Actually you can have 9 channels with an external amp with that new avr. Yes speakers in the front have more impact. They are supposed to. Although surrounds are called upon when planes, cars, someone throwing a table or anything that moves across the room.
post #29196 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

On a side note I would be curious how you think your Rythmiks sound with Audyssey multi EQ XT 32... Considering Yamaha doesn't EQ lower frequencies correct?

In regards to my Yamaha Z11 and YPAOing the subs, I would be lying if I said yes or no... :-). All I can say is I am not a bit disappointed in either the Rythmik 15HPs or how YPAO configured them and/or my Definitives. Been many a year since I played with a Denon/Audyssey. Audyssey has come a long way since then thus even I would be curious to see what it can do. I just like my/the Yamaha DSP and 11.2 setup more thus may never find out.... biggrin.gif
post #29197 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

In regards to my Yamaha Z11 and YPAOing the subs, I would be lying if I said yes or no... :-). All I can say is I am not a bit disappointed in either the Rythmik 15HPs or how YPAO configured them and/or my Definitives. Been many a year since I played with a Denon/Audyssey. Audyssey has come a long way since then thus even I would be curious to see what it can do. I just like my/the Yamaha DSP and 11.2 setup more thus may never find out.... biggrin.gif

Well like you say on here often It's about having fun with your system! 11.2 is what I'm after eventually. You know some places will let you take home equipment and try it out, just a thought.biggrin.gif
post #29198 of 30941
Hey guys...don't know if this is the right place for me to be posting this but I just wanted to add that I'm a new & very happy owner of a Definitive ProCinema 600 system. Wasn't sure if I should've been posting this over in the HTIB section of the forum but I saw all of you other proud DefTech owners & figured I mention my little apartment system!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!
Carmine
post #29199 of 30941
Congratulations and welcome carminepesce:-)
post #29200 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

Hey guys...don't know if this is the right place for me to be posting this but I just wanted to add that I'm a new & very happy owner of a Definitive ProCinema 600 system. Wasn't sure if I should've been posting this over in the HTIB section of the forum but I saw all of you other proud DefTech owners & figured I mention my little apartment system!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!
Carmine

Hey, Carmine!

First, congratulations. Even at the entry level, DT speakers offer a genuine high-fidelity experience. You made a fine choice.

Second, it's a legitimate hifi speaker system, not a HTIB (which include electronics and are often non-standard in a variety of ways).

Third, if you're interested, there's a thread dedicated to the ProCinema series at http://www.avsforum.com/t/863945/definitive-technology-procinema-series-600-800-1000-or-60-80-100-thread.

Welcome to AVS!
post #29201 of 30941
Hey guys thank you all very much for the warm welcome!!!!!
post #29202 of 30941
SM350s on sale at Newegg for $200 if anyone is looking for them
post #29203 of 30941
I have a few questions for the fellow Definitive owners regarding some setup options....Ok, I used the "Option to Method 1" hookup scenario where I have the Front Left & Right going to the Sub & the Sub LFE input going to my Yamaha receiver. I chose "Large" for Fronts within my Yamaha speaker configuration menu & I also chose "Use" for the Subwoofer. Yamaha has 9 crossover frequency options to choose from - 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz (default), 90Hz, 100Hz, 110Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz & 200Hz. Which of these will I need to choose or do I just leave at default setting of 80Hz? Which "size" setting should I use for Center & Surrounds? My final question regards power for the Sub....I noticed that the owner's manual recommends connecting the AC cord of the Sub to a non-switched outlet. My APC power conditioner only has 2 rear unswitched outlets which I'm using for my TV & Bluray player respectively. I do not want to connect the Sub to the front panel outlet as it will be a tremendous eye sore & I would much rather not plug the Sub directly into an unprotected wall outlet. Can I use one of the switched outlets on my APC for the Sub?


Thanks so much guys for all the help!!!
Carmine.
post #29204 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

My APC power conditioner only has 2 rear unswitched outlets which I'm using for my TV & Bluray player respectively. I do not want to connect the Sub to the front panel outlet as it will be a tremendous eye sore & I would much rather not plug the Sub directly into an unprotected wall outlet. Can I use one of the switched outlets on my APC for the Sub?

Using a switched power source like your APC isn't an issue at all. I do the same - prefer to have them / HT completely powered down during the week when not in use.

As for your speaker/sub configuration. Bottom line, if you set the mains to LARGE on your Yamaha you can't set a crossover frequency - only if SMALL is selected. I'm no expert on the ProCin 600 system yet I believe with the main speakers wired through the sub setting your AVR to LARGE is proper and then you use the sub controls for the crossover with the mains. Your center and surround speakers need to be set to SMALL on the AVR - I would think a crossover freq around 120 maybe even as high as 200 is appropriate given the drivers in the 600s.

Someone with experience with the 600s should jump in soon..

Congrats on your new system!
post #29205 of 30941
So I just recently picked up a 11.2 pre/pro and now I am looking to find the 4 speakers I need to round things out.

I currently have Definitive Tech BP2000TL mains and a C/L/R 3000 for my Center and BPVX/P for my rears and surrounds.

The amp that will be driving the new additions will either be another Rotel 1095 (200w per) or a Rotel 1075 (120w per)

Not sure where to begin here.

Am I pigeon holed into Def tech for sound matching? or can I branch out a little?

I have noticed the new Def Tech line has some decent little speaker for the front highs, something along the line of the Studio Monitor 55's.

And I am considering possibly something like Mythos 5's for the wides.

Not looking to spend much more than about 300-500 per speaker if possible.

Any recommendation you guys can make would be great.

Thanks
post #29206 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

So I just recently picked up a 11.2 pre/pro and now I am looking to find the 4 speakers I need to round things out.

I currently have Definitive Tech BP2000TL mains and a C/L/R 3000 for my Center and BPVX/P for my rears and surrounds.

The amp that will be driving the new additions will either be another Rotel 1095 (200w per) or a Rotel 1075 (120w per)

Not sure where to begin here.

Am I pigeon holed into Def tech for sound matching? or can I branch out a little?

I have noticed the new Def Tech line has some decent little speaker for the front highs, something along the line of the Studio Monitor 55's.

And I am considering possibly something like Mythos 5's for the wides.

Not looking to spend much more than about 300-500 per speaker if possible.

Any recommendation you guys can make would be great.

Thanks

Since you're running 6.5 drivers all over, I'd pick up two pairs of sm450's from newegg and call it a day. I'm using them as side surrounds and am considering getting some as rears if I can ever sell my bp2000's.
post #29207 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

So I just recently picked up a 11.2 pre/pro and now I am looking to find the 4 speakers I need to round things out.

I currently have Definitive Tech BP2000TL mains and a C/L/R 3000 for my Center and BPVX/P for my rears and surrounds.

The amp that will be driving the new additions will either be another Rotel 1095 (200w per) or a Rotel 1075 (120w per)

Not sure where to begin here.

Am I pigeon holed into Def tech for sound matching? or can I branch out a little?

I have noticed the new Def Tech line has some decent little speaker for the front highs, something along the line of the Studio Monitor 55's.

And I am considering possibly something like Mythos 5's for the wides.

Not looking to spend much more than about 300-500 per speaker if possible.

Any recommendation you guys can make would be great.

Thanks

Go to newegg.com and search for SM45.
post #29208 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

So I just recently picked up a 11.2 pre/pro and now I am looking to find the 4 speakers I need to round things out.

I currently have Definitive Tech BP2000TL mains and a C/L/R 3000 for my Center and BPVX/P for my rears and surrounds.

The amp that will be driving the new additions will either be another Rotel 1095 (200w per) or a Rotel 1075 (120w per)

Not sure where to begin here.

Am I pigeon holed into Def tech for sound matching? or can I branch out a little?

I have noticed the new Def Tech line has some decent little speaker for the front highs, something along the line of the Studio Monitor 55's.

And I am considering possibly something like Mythos 5's for the wides.

Not looking to spend much more than about 300-500 per speaker if possible.

Any recommendation you guys can make would be great.

Thanks

You have plenty of Definitive choices for that price, if you go used. You could get 2 more BP2000s for wides for $300-500 each or BP30s would be cheaper. SM450s for heights would work well and they're only $300 a pair new on Newegg right now.
post #29209 of 30941
Wow, those look pretty great, and pretty nicely priced too!

Thanks
post #29210 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Using a switched power source like your APC isn't an issue at all. I do the same - prefer to have them / HT completely powered down during the week when not in use.

As for your speaker/sub configuration. Bottom line, if you set the mains to LARGE on your Yamaha you can't set a crossover frequency - only if SMALL is selected. I'm no expert on the ProCin 600 system yet I believe with the main speakers wired through the sub setting your AVR to LARGE is proper and then you use the sub controls for the crossover with the mains. Your center and surround speakers need to be set to SMALL on the AVR - I would think a crossover freq around 120 maybe even as high as 200 is appropriate given the drivers in the 600s.

Someone with experience with the 600s should jump in soon..

Congrats on your new system!

Hey KJ thanks so much buddy for the help. Now at least I have the starting point to start tweaking the controls on the sub for my room.

Again I just wanna thank everyone here for the continued help & advice!!!!

Carmine.
post #29211 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

Wow, those look pretty great, and pretty nicely priced too!

Thanks

BTW, what pre amp did you pick up?
post #29212 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

One other thing: since Audyssey XT32 has the same 512x resolution for both speakers and subs (unlike earlier versions of Audyssey), you don't need to run your towers though LFE connections either. You can run all three speakers on speaker wire, and XT32 will give them individual delay settings and trims.

Having said that, getting a Denon with XT32 is definitely an upgrade over a MultiEQ XT version of Audyssey, even if you don't neccessarily need Sub HT for the towers. OTOH, if Carminus also has two standalone subs (or may down the road, if he finds the towers lower bass doesn't reach down far enough), Sub EQ HT is useful for the independent sub inputs allowing them to also have fhe independent delay amd trim as well.

Regardless, having the towers level matched (and more to the point, the 'sub' and 'non-sub' sections of each tower and the center) is good advice.
Hello Stuart, Brad, RD, KJ, and all the others who keep jumping in when people ask receiver room EQ questions: thank you for contributing! The big receiver manufacturers have made a lot of strides with the room correction software, and if I had time to make myself an expert on each brand, I would jump in more frequently on these questions.
But you guys are doing your research, and helping out your fellow DT fans, and I appreciate it. That family spirit of helping others is what makes this site work so well. Keep up the good work. The newbies thank you and Definitive does too - smile.gif best, Joe
post #29213 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 View Post

So I just recently picked up a 11.2 pre/pro and now I am looking to find the 4 speakers I need to round things out.

I currently have Definitive Tech BP2000TL mains and a C/L/R 3000 for my Center and BPVX/P for my rears and surrounds.

The amp that will be driving the new additions will either be another Rotel 1095 (200w per) or a Rotel 1075 (120w per)

Not sure where to begin here.

Am I pigeon holed into Def tech for sound matching? or can I branch out a little?

I have noticed the new Def Tech line has some decent little speaker for the front highs, something along the line of the Studio Monitor 55's.

And I am considering possibly something like Mythos 5's for the wides.

Not looking to spend much more than about 300-500 per speaker if possible.

Any recommendation you guys can make would be great.

Thanks
Hi Cofn, I wouldn't say pigeon holed, but as several folks have pointed out, you have a lot of choices within the brand. It's not an ironclad law, but if you can keep a family sound among the speakers, you'll get a more seamless experience when the actors move around the room, or the car drives from front to back, etc. The SM 55's that you are considering might be ideal if you want to stay around $300 - $500 per speaker, and while the older 350's and 450's are very good values, we've done a ton to make the new SM's sound better. Let us know what you settle on - best, Joe
post #29214 of 30941
OK, so I have a little issue with the tweeters on my BP30's. I've tried searching this a little here on AVS as well as other sites with no definitive answers/solutions. My setup is as follows:

Integra DTR-7.8 receiver (running Audyssey)
BP30 fronts (wired via plain old 12AWG wire)
CLR 2000 center (wired via Canare 4S11 wire & bananas)
BPX surrounds (wired via plain old 16AWG wire)
No sub, no amps, just the receiver.

So when JUST the receiver is on and no source is playing there is an excessive 'hiss' or 'buzz' coming from the tweeters (front and back of both BP30's). None of the other speakers have this issue, and none of the woofers on the BP30's have this issue.....just the tweeters confused.gif? Like I said, I've tried to search this problem and haven't had much luck, so I figured I'd try the Def Tech forum. Not sure if this is a receiver/power issue or a tweeter issue? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated biggrin.gif !!!
post #29215 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeatdefinitive View Post

Hi Cofn, I wouldn't say pigeon holed, but as several folks have pointed out, you have a lot of choices within the brand. It's not an ironclad law, but if you can keep a family sound among the speakers, you'll get a more seamless experience when the actors move around the room, or the car drives from front to back, etc. The SM 55's that you are considering might be ideal if you want to stay around $300 - $500 per speaker, and while the older 350's and 450's are very good values, we've done a ton to make the new SM's sound better. Let us know what you settle on - best, Joe

Thanks Joe, until I started looking I didn't realized just how big a line Def Tech now has, back when I bought my original speakers the line was pretty narrow.

I think bang for the buck wise I may grab the 450's mentioned here, they seem like great little speakers. Unless I can find a sweet deal online on the 55's ,this will likely be the way I go.

Thanks all for the quick responses.
post #29216 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

BTW, what pre amp did you pick up?

Grabbed a Marantz AV8801. My god this thing is awesome.

Coming from a Rotel 1570 it is night and day, I can hear SO much more around the room now, didn't know what I was missing, and I have yet to even calibrate it yet, this is just stock settings.
post #29217 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00cbirdw View Post

OK, so I have a little issue with the tweeters on my BP30's. I've tried searching this a little here on AVS as well as other sites with no definitive answers/solutions. My setup is as follows:

Integra DTR-7.8 receiver (running Audyssey)
BP30 fronts (wired via plain old 12AWG wire)
CLR 2000 center (wired via Canare 4S11 wire & bananas)
BPX surrounds (wired via plain old 16AWG wire)
No sub, no amps, just the receiver.

So when JUST the receiver is on and no source is playing there is an excessive 'hiss' or 'buzz' coming from the tweeters (front and back of both BP30's). None of the other speakers have this issue, and none of the woofers on the BP30's have this issue.....just the tweeters confused.gif? Like I said, I've tried to search this problem and haven't had much luck, so I figured I'd try the Def Tech forum. Not sure if this is a receiver/power issue or a tweeter issue? Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated biggrin.gif !!!

That's strange. It seems unlikely that something would just happen to all 4 tweeters. Try hooking them up to the surround channels on the receiver and see if the problem remains. I would think the receiver would more likely be the problem than both crossovers or all 4 tweeters somehow making noise if the receiver isn't sending a signal. You might as well try different speaker wire too, someone recently had an issue that was fixed by replacing the speaker wire.
post #29218 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post

That's strange. It seems unlikely that something would just happen to all 4 tweeters. Try hooking them up to the surround channels on the receiver and see if the problem remains. I would think the receiver would more likely be the problem than both crossovers or all 4 tweeters somehow making noise if the receiver isn't sending a signal. You might as well try different speaker wire too, someone recently had an issue that was fixed by replacing the speaker wire.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give those a try when I get home tonight. I actually have a set of the Canare 4S11 wires for my fronts but haven't got around to hooking them up yet redface.gif I'm hoping that does the trick....if not I have my buddy going thru my old Carver m-1.5t right now that I'm planning on running the BP30's with biggrin.gif Either way I'll let you know what my results are! Thanks again for your input!
post #29219 of 30941
In my signature you see my new gear I picked up this past week. I still need a sub. I have not read thru this thread just yet. Can anyone tell me how they like or dislike the Def Tech SC 6000 or 8000? thanks very much.smile.gif
post #29220 of 30941
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterguy View Post

In my signature you see my new gear I picked up this past week. I still need a sub. I have not read thru this thread just yet. Can anyone tell me how they like or dislike the Def Tech SC 6000 or 8000? thanks very much.smile.gif
What's your budget? I think you might get better performance at the same or cheaper price from some ID brand than getting a DefTech sub IMHO.

Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, I am and consider myself a huge DefTech fan and currently have a total of 20 DefTech speakers/sub from every one of their speaker line (besides the sound bar) in my house now. So I'm not a "DefTech hater" to make the above statement. cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread