or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 985

post #29521 of 30962
Not sure where you are but I just listed my BP7001 mains and SVS PB13 Ultras on ebay. I'm in Houston.
post #29522 of 30962
I'm in Wisconsin, lol. Darn.
post #29523 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

Hello all. I am currently running a CS-8080HD center with Studio Monitor 450s for L/R fronts.

I also have a DIY 15" sub in a sealed enclosure with a Crown XLS 2000 amp driving it.

So what is on my mind, with a roughly $2000 budget is should I....

A. Purchase a separate sub and run a .2 system

B. Purchase some very bass capable Definitive BPxxxx towers

C. Split the difference and get cheaper towers AND a cheaper subwoofer

Another factor is my Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver that has lame global crossovers of 50, 80, 100, 150, and 200 hz.
I would like the added mids that nice towers would bring to my system but I also want to even out the bass in the room.

Nothing against the 450s but my first thought was larger towers for a fuller, larger main channel presence with prowess in the mid bass punch area. You could all the way to the 8080 towers or if you like the sound of the 450s you could go old school with BP-2000s or BP7001/7000s etc. Any of the three will accomplish the above well. This of course is if bipolar fits your config and style. Best bang for buck could be the 2000s for $700ish and $1300 remaining for another sub and/or AVR. 7001s would cost ya in the $1500ish range and 7000s anywhere between $1800-$2800ish. If you go this route I would run the DT towers "Large" given the limitation of your Pio AVR.

On the other hand many swear by the small "mains" and several subwoofer model. I myself love the mid-bass slam of multiple large DT towers and the addition of two or more subs for the 15-40ish Hz devastation. biggrin.gif. If you like your DIY sub what about building it a friend/twin? I went DIY as well yet with two Rythmik 15s.

What are you running for surrounds/rears? You could always use the 450s for heights/wides?

Just some initial thoughts prior to dinner.. :-).
post #29524 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

Hello all. I am currently running a CS-8080HD center with Studio Monitor 450s for L/R fronts.

I also have a DIY 15" sub in a sealed enclosure with a Crown XLS 2000 amp driving it.

Don't get me wrong I have pretty good sounding bass but I'm thinking its time I need some differently placed low frequency to even out the room a little.

So what is on my mind, with a roughly $2000 budget is should I....

A. Purchase a separate sub and run a .2 system

B. Purchase some very bass capable Definitive BPxxxx towers

C. Split the difference and get cheaper towers AND a cheaper subwoofer

Another factor is my Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver that has lame global crossovers of 50, 80, 100, 150, and 200 hz.
I would like the added mids that nice towers would bring to my system but I also want to even out the bass in the room.

Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I would get BP2000s or BP30s. You could cross both at 80Hz with subs and that would work well. I had BP7000s and BP2000TLs and they both drop off at 25Hz. $400-$800 on speakers leaves you with plenty to build another DIY sub or 3 to place around the room. My 15" Daytons were flat down to 10Hz in my living room where my BP7000s dropped off like a rock at ~27Hz.

If you want to be cheaper, you could get BP30s for $400 if you find a good deal and that would leave plenty for 3 more subs and amps if you want or 1 more and a new AVR. There are a lot of choices. Most bang for your buck would be BP30s and 3 more subs, if your sub now is good quality.

The older towers at least cannot compete with dedicated subs. Just 2 of my SI 18's easily beat BP7000s in output and extension. The only reason I would ever recommend powered towers alone is if space is a huge issue.

Plus it's terrible Definitive claims 11Hz on the BP7000s (and their claims on other speakers). If the mic can pick it up at all, they seem to claim it as their FR, so don't trust their published responses as a measure of their capability. For people that don't know any better, they are being terribly deceived. My BP7000s were 27dB down at 20Hz, not even close to a useable FR and not even close to 11Hz. I doubt they could hit 11Hz in a closet. In my small bedroom they got down to 23Hz before dropping off hard.

Having said that, the midbass isn't bad though. If you get BP2000s they would help blend the range between the dedicated subs and mids. So it just depends on what deals you can find.
Edited by bradthebold88 - 7/16/13 at 4:50pm
post #29525 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I listed a pair of 8060 towers for sale on Amazon. Excellent condition. 4 months old with original packaging etc. Price is > 10% LOWER than all other used listings at the time I listed them. Seller name is notgeorgeii. Great speakers but bipolar and side firing woofers are the wrong design for my layout. Perhaps, if I had done research beyond reading professional reviews and searching this thread, I would have realized the possible problems and bought front firing or at least sent them back to Amazon before the 30 days were up. Such is life. If interested and have questions, PM me. Thanks

SOLD!
post #29526 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

SOLD!

Looks like I need to list my stuff on Amazon! Was it a fellow AVS member or another who bought?
post #29527 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Looks like I need to list my stuff on Amazon! Was it a fellow AVS member or another who bought?

I don't think he was an AVS member based upon email back and forth between us. Several reasons for using Amazon but from marketing standpoint I think you get more traffic and since I only sell things I no longer need or want, selling price is not my highest priority. I always price slightly lower than any other used listing and potential buyers can see that.
post #29528 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I don't think he was an AVS member based upon email back and forth between us. Several reasons for using Amazon but from marketing standpoint I think you get more traffic and since I only sell things I no longer need or want, selling price is not my highest priority. I always price slightly lower than any other used listing and potential buyers can see that.

Yea, I have my towers I'm selling to a friend for 1100. 8060's. of course it's all tentative until you have cash in hand. Also have multiple other speakers. I'll take a look into amazon when I get back from Oahu after next week
post #29529 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yea, I have my towers I'm selling to a friend for 1100. 8060's. of course it's all tentative until you have cash in hand. Also have multiple other speakers. I'll take a look into amazon when I get back from Oahu after next week
Just curious why are you selling your 8060's?...I have the same and have debated on selling because I'm interested in the Aon 3's plus a sub...I have listed them once on my local Craig's list...I'm in Columbus Ohio...I would sell for 1400 if anyone is willing to pick up...smile.gif...otherwise I might try Amazon...I just don't want to ship them...to much of a hassle...there in perfect condition though.
post #29530 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Just curious why are you selling your 8060's?...I have the same and have debated on selling because I'm interested in the Aon 3's plus a sub...I have listed them once on my local Craig's list...I'm in Columbus Ohio...I would sell for 1400 if anyone is willing to pick up...smile.gif...otherwise I might try Amazon...I just don't want to ship them...to much of a hassle...there in perfect condition though.

Well I have lofty goals/plans for my sound system. I wouldn't upgrade unless you plan on going with something significantly better. These speakers sound great. I am heading towards a JTR setup consisting of LCR 212 Noesis speakers and either dual Captivator S2's, dual Orbit Shifters or a DIY Stereo Integrity 18 setup. Of course that's 12.5k in LCR and subs...

The Noesis speakers have beat speakers costing much more in shoot outs. And music is big for me
post #29531 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

Hello all. I am currently running a CS-8080HD center with Studio Monitor 450s for L/R fronts.

I also have a DIY 15" sub in a sealed enclosure with a Crown XLS 2000 amp driving it.

Don't get me wrong I have pretty good sounding bass but I'm thinking its time I need some differently placed low frequency to even out the room a little.

So what is on my mind, with a roughly $2000 budget is should I....

A. Purchase a separate sub and run a .2 system

B. Purchase some very bass capable Definitive BPxxxx towers

C. Split the difference and get cheaper towers AND a cheaper subwoofer

Another factor is my Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver that has lame global crossovers of 50, 80, 100, 150, and 200 hz.
I would like the added mids that nice towers would bring to my system but I also want to even out the bass in the room.

Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Well I just bought a 2nd sub. A Definitive Supercube 4000 with the wireless connectivity kit.
I went with the SC4000 cause I wanted something I could easily move around from spot to spot until I find where it blends well with my main sub.
I will admit I am very curious/weary of how the small SC will interact with my 15". I'm hoping that it will fill in the major null my 15" has around 59hz.

But this leaves my budget open for a decent pair of Def Tech towers. I'm not sure I will even need powered towers anymore so I am looking more toward the BP10s. Or if I can find a pair of BP20s or 30's that would rock. Hard to find though!
post #29532 of 30962
I also need an answer or opinions on how far a bipolar speaker needs to be away from a rear wall for good sound.
I have heard SO many different answers and honestly I have about 10" at the most of room away from the wall that I can work with.
If this in any way compromises sound then I am seriously gonna have to consider a new NON bi polar front stage and sell my CS-8080HD. mad.gif
post #29533 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

I also need an answer or opinions on how far a bipolar speaker needs to be away from a rear wall for good sound.
I have heard SO many different answers and honestly I have about 10" at the most of room away from the wall that I can work with.
If this in any way compromises sound then I am seriously gonna have to consider a new NON bi polar front stage and sell my CS-8080HD. mad.gif

That's something you just need to experiment with in "your" room. In our main room I have a pair of BP2000s that are only 8 or so inches from the back wall and sound great. The 4 BP7000s in the HT are closer to 12 inches. In the HT I seriously couldn't tell a difference between 12 and 24 inches - but I attribute that to a somewhat narrow room etc. Typical DT recommendation is 6+ inches. Some owners love them at 3 ft out yet your room and accommodations will dictate.

Congrats on your new sub!
post #29534 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

I also need an answer or opinions on how far a bipolar speaker needs to be away from a rear wall for good sound.
I have heard SO many different answers and honestly I have about 10" at the most of room away from the wall that I can work with.
If this in any way compromises sound then I am seriously gonna have to consider a new NON bi polar front stage and sell my CS-8080HD. mad.gif

Why would you need to sell your center? It's not bi polar.
post #29535 of 30962
Also I had my 8060 towers about 11-12 inches off the wall and toed in DIRECTLY at the main listening position. Sounded great. They really sounded good when I changed from a slight toe to more toe in
post #29536 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Why would you need to sell your center? It's not bi polar.

No it's not. But do I really wanna go different brands for a front stage?

The only Def Tech towers that are not BP are the STS and ST and they are way out of my budget.
post #29537 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

No it's not. But do I really wanna go different brands for a front stage?

The only Def Tech towers that are not BP are the STS and ST and they are way out of my budget.

You can get those used for cheaper than new 8060s.
post #29538 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

No it's not. But do I really wanna go different brands for a front stage?

The only Def Tech towers that are not BP are the STS and ST and they are way out of my budget.

I would just get some 8040's or 8060's. you can most likely at least manage 10-11 inches off the wall. That's not much at all. Besides, IMO, even cosmetically they look funny backed up against to wall. Just don't forget to toe them in
post #29539 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I would just get some 8040's or 8060's. you can most likely at least manage 10-11 inches off the wall. That's not much at all. Besides, IMO, even cosmetically they look funny backed up against to wall. Just don't forget to toe them in

Based upon my experience, I would add a caution regarding wood paneling. I finally gave up and sold my 8060s because I couldn't get them to sound right to my ears. The bass portion of the speakers had about 2 feet of space between the ends of a Salamander console and wood paneled walls. The back of the speakers had plenty of space on booth sides but was about 1 foot from rear wood paneled walls and about 18 inches from the corners where the 2 walls met if the fronts were aimed at the main listing position. Bass boomed even with speaker wire connections and speakers set to small with a 80 hz crossover and power setting set to Noon. Toe in or out by as little as 2 inches caused the tone of very familiar voices to change significantly.
post #29540 of 30962
Hey all. I still have an 8040 center, a pair of 8040 surrounds and a pair of pro monitor 1000's in the classifieds smile.gif
post #29541 of 30962
Hi friends!

I'm putting together what I would like to think as a "good" H/T setup.

A friend of mine has a complete set of Definitive Technology Speakers: 2 of each: BP 2002TL, BP2X, CLR 2500 (1) for about $850. I thought about getting them because I've heard them, like them and the price is where I'd like to be.

With that being said, I came across a pair of bp7002's online for around $400. They seemed like a better speaker for less? Not sure tho.

Before I came across this deal, I was going to pick up a Aperion set, but wasn't sure what would be "on par"

This is my first "real" H/T purchase that isn't from Best Buy, so some input would be AWESOME.

my room has sound panels, seats 10, is roughly 22x24, and we listen to things VERY LOUD.

Thanks in advance!!
post #29542 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunsson View Post

Hi friends!

I'm putting together what I would like to think as a "good" H/T setup.

A friend of mine has a complete set of Definitive Technology Speakers: 2 of each: BP 2002TL, BP2X, CLR 2500 (1) for about $850. I thought about getting them because I've heard them, like them and the price is where I'd like to be.

With that being said, I came across a pair of bp7002's online for around $400. They seemed like a better speaker for less? Not sure tho.

Before I came across this deal, I was going to pick up a Aperion set, but wasn't sure what would be "on par"

This is my first "real" H/T purchase that isn't from Best Buy, so some input would be AWESOME.

my room has sound panels, seats 10, is roughly 22x24, and we listen to things VERY LOUD.

Thanks in advance!!

If it's $400 for a pair, that's a great price for 7002s. If it's $800 for a pair, that's still a pretty good price, but I'd rather have BP2000s with bigger mids for the same price or less. I wouldn't hesitate if it's $400/pair though if the other options is 2002s.
post #29543 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 View Post

If it's $400 for a pair, that's a great price for 7002s. If it's $800 for a pair, that's still a pretty good price, but I'd rather have BP2000s with bigger mids for the same price or less. I wouldn't hesitate if it's $400/pair though if the other options is 2002s.

thanks for the reply!
i ended up picking up the 2002TL's, a CLR2500, and (2) BP2X's and pioneer elite VSX-94THX for $1k from a guy in my condo complex.
however, after doing alot of comparison, I may want to sell my 2002s for either the 2000s or 7002s? Still contemplating, since I haven't even hooked these up yet. Wife is already made I said that.

I actually made a mistake in my post. it was $400/pr for the 7006s not 7002s. There's a set of 7002's for $800. I wasn't aware at the time of the drastic change between the ending numbers!

OH. I should mention I have a Mirage BPS-400 for that lower rumble when needed smile.gif so that may influence speaker decision?

thoughts?

Thanks for your help and input!
post #29544 of 30962
If I plan on running an 80hz crossover for all my speakers is it really important that I try to get the bigger models (BP2000, 7002, 8080, 8060) of powered towers for good mids?

Wont the powered sub in the smaller models (BP2002, 7004, 8040, 8020) help produce mid-bass over 80hz just as well as the larger models or no?

This is the only question keeping me from what to pull the trigger on at the moment.

Thanks for any help!
post #29545 of 30962
Currently putting together my first Reference system. Going all out(almost). Looking for any feedback on positioning, settings and any other recommended equipment for best performance, and ease of system use.

Front Left and Right : BP7000SC
Center : CS8080HD
Rear Left and Right : SR8080BP
Receiver : Pioneer SC - 55
Power Center : Panamax M7500 Pro
BluRay : Sony S790
Game System : Xbox 360
Cables: Rocketfish Speaker wire, Audioquest Forest HDMI

I know for most its a cardinal sin but my wife is nagging hardcore about running wires. Anyone recommend a good wireless kit?

Eventually i intend to add two dedicated def tech references how have people run the fronts with the built in subs with dedicated subs? especially witht he powerful 1800watt sub in teh bp7000sc.
post #29546 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunsson View Post

thanks for the reply!
i ended up picking up the 2002TL's, a CLR2500, and (2) BP2X's and pioneer elite VSX-94THX for $1k from a guy in my condo complex.
however, after doing alot of comparison, I may want to sell my 2002s for either the 2000s or 7002s? Still contemplating, since I haven't even hooked these up yet. Wife is already made I said that.

I actually made a mistake in my post. it was $400/pr for the 7006s not 7002s. There's a set of 7002's for $800. I wasn't aware at the time of the drastic change between the ending numbers!

OH. I should mention I have a Mirage BPS-400 for that lower rumble when needed smile.gif so that may influence speaker decision?

thoughts?

Thanks for your help and input!

I like bigger mids, but at the least listen to what you have now before you buy anything else. I think the 7002s would sound better than the 2002 and I think 2000s would sound better than both of them. If you get 2000s, then the towers would have bigger mids than the center, which would probably be ok, but matching the center to the towers is ideal. I would see if you like what you have though, because 7002s or 2000s would be a fairly expensive upgrade now.

I'm not sure how powerful the sub is, but matching it with the subs in the towers can be a pain. You could set the towers are small with a 40/60/80Hz crossover and see what sounds good.
post #29547 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

If I plan on running an 80hz crossover for all my speakers is it really important that I try to get the bigger models (BP2000, 7002, 8080, 8060) of powered towers for good mids?

Wont the powered sub in the smaller models (BP2002, 7004, 8040, 8020) help produce mid-bass over 80hz just as well as the larger models or no?

This is the only question keeping me from what to pull the trigger on at the moment.

Thanks for any help!

I think the bigger mids sound better. Plus you get an MTM arrangement in the top models of the older series which seems like the biggest improvement I've heard. Vocals and mids can go pretty low, you dont' want the sub on the side of the tower producing any vocals that should be coming out of the mids on the front and back. Bigger mids are more capable and, to me, sound better.

It just depends on what sounds good to you though. I had BP7000s that sounded great. The BP7006s I've heard in a showroom were easily the worst Definitives I've heard. I preferred BP6's.
post #29548 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteroth View Post

Currently putting together my first Reference system. Going all out(almost). Looking for any feedback on positioning, settings and any other recommended equipment for best performance, and ease of system use.

Front Left and Right : BP7000SC
Center : CS8080HD
Rear Left and Right : SR8080BP
Receiver : Pioneer SC - 55
Power Center : Panamax M7500 Pro
BluRay : Sony S790
Game System : Xbox 360
Cables: Rocketfish Speaker wire, Audioquest Forest HDMI

I know for most its a cardinal sin but my wife is nagging hardcore about running wires. Anyone recommend a good wireless kit?

Eventually i intend to add two dedicated def tech references how have people run the fronts with the built in subs with dedicated subs? especially witht he powerful 1800watt sub in teh bp7000sc.

I wouldn't get Definitive Subs, they just under perform and over claim for the price. If you don't want to do DIY, then buy from an internet direct company like Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, etc. I had BP7000s and was not impressed with the subs on their own because they don't go that low. Adding separate capable subs for the low end and using the 7000 subs for mid/upper bass sounds great though, so that's a good idea.

General advice, just play with the distance from the wall and toe-in to find what sounds best for your room. If you don't have any other subs now, I would set the towers to large and run LFE to them, set the center as small around 40-60Hz if you can, and the surrounds as small, 80Hz maybe, I'm not sure how low they can go.

I have no idea about a wireless kit though.
post #29549 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteroth View Post

Anyone recommend a good wireless kit?

Using speakers like these wirelessly is not really practical. Only low-level signals can be legally transmitted, which means you have to use powered speakers, which none of these are (except for the bass drivers). In any case, wireless technology is still not reliable for transmitting a full-range, full-fidelity continuous signal with no distortion, compression, interference, or dropouts.

In-wall or under-carpet wiring; baseboard conduit; going under the floors... there are solutions, but you need some good 14ga or better stranded wire for the system you list. No getting around it.
post #29550 of 30962
1) I've had a listen to the def tech subs and i personally think they perform pretty well for music, in my listening tests i found they were definitely more responsive than similarly priced larger sub-woofers due to the radiators. Eventually i will DIY or get another set but right now i have the opportunity to get all my def tech components at 50% off. So for that price i think they perform admirably. Though i wish i could get my hands on the Supercube trinity. Alas not for sale any more.

2) I'm new to personal tweaking, I normally run the calibration through the receiver. Why do you recommend the crossovers that you do? If you could link any threads taht give a good review on where to set corssovers and frequency setting it would be much appreciated, currently starting to search myself. The SR8080BP surrounds are rated to 40HZ and the CS8080HD center is rated to 20HZ on the low end. So is there a reason not to utilize the full range of the speaker?

3) @RDCLARK, I'm in an apartment so my options are limited until i move. I love sounds. Love it. And so i have a cable run straight through the living room. Trying to talk the wife into a big rug to cover the majority of it. If i were in a house it would be an easy solution.

4) Also I intend to set up the system as a 5.2 system, seen as a 5.1 + B speaker(2nd sub) and run LFE to each BP7000SC or split the .1 connection and run to each until i can get dedicated sub(s).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread