or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Ascend SE Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 108

post #3211 of 3912
I don't know how you can wait! Mine should arrive next wednesday and I can hardly contain my excitement. I also have a pair of klipsch rw-12d subs that should arrive Thursday!biggrin.gif I just now got done ordering Sub cables,a splitter for the subs and a 100 feet of speaker wire.
smile.gif
post #3212 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

I don't know how you can wait! Mine should arrive next wednesday and I can hardly contain my excitement. I also have a pair of klipsch rw-12d subs that should arrive Thursday!biggrin.gif I just now got done ordering Sub cables,a splitter for the subs and a 100 feet of speaker wire.
smile.gif

Congrats, I have a feeling once you have everything dialed in, you will be amazed at how everything sounds. After having my CBM-170's and CMT-340C for a few months now, I think I personally made the right choice in going with Ascend for my new speakers. Dave has a new customer for years to come, as I don't see myself parting with them anytime soon. Now just to scrape together some money for a pair of speaker stands, some new speaker wire(nothing wrong with the speaker wire I have now, but I would like to get a little bit of a longer length for the surrounds), and a pair of HTM-200's for surround use. smile.gif
post #3213 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Congrats, I have a feeling once you have everything dialed in, you will be amazed at how everything sounds. After having my CBM-170's and CMT-340C for a few months now, I think I personally made the right choice in going with Ascend for my new speakers. Dave has a new customer for years to come, as I don't see myself parting with them anytime soon. Now just to scrape together some money for a pair of speaker stands, some new speaker wire(nothing wrong with the speaker wire I have now, but I would like to get a little bit of a longer length for the surrounds), and a pair of HTM-200's for surround use. smile.gif


I do need speaker stands and hope they get the new stands in soon so I can decide between those or opt to go with something else.

So Dave if your reading this hurry up and get the new stands for the CBM 170's! smile.gif
post #3214 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=6839&seq=1&format=2
Will these fit CBM-170's? I don't want to spend a lot of money on fancy brackets since I will be moving in a few months.
Even though it can support the weight limit for the CMB-170's it did not hold up well at all. The problem was the speakers are kinda front heavy and the mount just couldn't hold it up. You get what you pay for. Then I made "floating"shelf with two "L" brackets on the left and right side of the tv. Only problem was I couldn't toe the speakers in. So eventually I made speaker stands 30"Hx9Wx10D. I've had these speakers for about 3yrs now and still enjoy them. I might just get the CMT-340's for the mains and use the 170's for surrounds. You can probably got with out a sub with this set-up because I'm running them at "large" and they sound great and only use the JTR captivator for special occasions.
ea3d014d.jpg
post #3215 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Even though it can support the weight limit for the CMB-170's it did not hold up well at all. The problem was the speakers are kinda front heavy and the mount just couldn't hold it up. You get what you pay for. Then I made "floating"shelf with two "L" brackets on the left and right side of the tv. Only problem was I couldn't toe the speakers in. So eventually I made speaker stands 30"Hx9Wx10D. I've had these speakers for about 3yrs now and still enjoy them. I might just get the CMT-340's for the mains and use the 170's for surrounds. You can probably got with out a sub with this set-up because I'm running them at "large" and they sound great and only use the JTR captivator for special occasions.
ea3d014d.jpg

Did you build the tv stand as well? Your setup looks sharp -- I'm trying to achieve a similar look, but not having any luck with prebuilt cabinets.
post #3216 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

Did you build the tv stand as well? Your setup looks sharp -- I'm trying to achieve a similar look, but not having any luck with prebuilt cabinets.
That's an Ikea piece. I forgot the name of the model but you can still get it from Ikea. It's in the cabinet section I think.
post #3217 of 3912
Thanks!
post #3218 of 3912
Stupid question here..........anyone have the number for Ascend?? I'm on a computer that won't allow me to enter their website, but I can get on here...confused.gif I want to order some 170SE's after extensive research( and reading many testimonials here)........
post #3219 of 3912
ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.
1062 Calle Negocio Suite G
San Clemente, CA 92673
Tel 949/366-1455
Fax 310/388-1500
Office Hours: 10:30am to 6:30pm PST
post #3220 of 3912
Excellent, thanks...............
post #3221 of 3912
I recently purchased a Panasonic 55ST50 and Denon AVR-1712. I want to achieve a 2.1, maybe 3.1 setup, for movies, video games, and music in my 11'x11'x8' room. Originally I was thinking of matching two CBM-170 SEs with a $200-300 subwoofer and then possibly adding a matching center channel down the line. I came across a post in another forum recommending two CBM-340 SEs, thus creating a phantom center, and forgoing an actual center. Would I still want a sub with the CBM-340 SEs? Would the CBM-340 SEs be overkill in my small room?

So my options are:

1) CBM-170 SEs + subwoofer for $500-600 (adding a center would increase total to $700-800)
2) CBM-340 SEs alone for $568 (adding a subwoofer would increase total to $768-868)

What do you guys think?
post #3222 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic 55ST50 and Denon AVR-1712. I want to achieve a 2.1, maybe 3.1 setup, for movies, video games, and music in my 11'x11'x8' room. Originally I was thinking of matching two CBM-170 SEs with a $200-300 subwoofer and then possibly adding a matching center channel down the line. I came across a post in another forum recommending two CBM-340 SEs, thus creating a phantom center, and forgoing an actual center. Would I still want a sub with the CBM-340 SEs? Would the CBM-340 SEs be overkill in my small room?

So my options are:
1) CBM-170 SEs + subwoofer for $500-600 (adding a center would increase total to $700-800)
2) CBM-340 SEs alone for $568 (adding a subwoofer would increase total to $768-868)
What do you guys think?
For movies and video games, you will definitely want a subwoofer for either setup.

Why do you think a center channel will cost you $700-$800??
post #3223 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

For movies and video games, you will definitely want a subwoofer for either setup.

Although I've never owned a decent sub - only a sub from a 5.1 Klipsch 5.1 PC package - that's what I was thinking. I don't need or really want room shaking bass, but I want to experience the low range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Why do you think a center channel will cost you $700-$800??

I don't think a center channel will cost me $700-800. If I add a $200 center channel to the $500-600 spent on the CBM-170 SEs and subwoofer that would equal $700-800 for the whole 3.1 setup.
post #3224 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I don't think a center channel will cost me $700-800. If I add a $200 center channel to the $500-600 spent on the CBM-170 SEs and subwoofer that would equal $700-800 for the whole 3.1 setup.
Ooops...sorry, I read it wrong.

I think 3xCBM-170SE and a $300 subwoofer will do you well....a Hsu STF-2.
post #3225 of 3912
Or for the sub get the Klipsch RW12-D from newegg when it's on sale for 299 shipped. By the way I'm really enjoying my new speakers the only problem i have now is my interest in those new Sierra towers, thankfully there out of my price range.
By the way for anyone looking for stands for the 170's I bought the Sanus SF34B1 Black 34-inch Steel Speaker Stands and am very happy with them, I first ordered the Sanus BF-31B MDF speaker stands and they arrived banged up so i returned them and happy I did.
post #3226 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Ooops...sorry, I read it wrong.
I think 3xCBM-170SE and a $300 subwoofer will do you well....a Hsu STF-2.

No worries. wink.gif Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to get this all figured out soon, like before Christmas, before the CBM-170 SE sale is over. I will most likely go with them, but am still considering the CBM-340 SEs. A dark horse is the Arx A1bs, but I haven't seen much info on them yet, especially in comparison to the CBM-170 SEs.
post #3227 of 3912
Are the brackets for the 170 SE stiff enough to be mounted on the ceiling?
post #3228 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic 55ST50 and Denon AVR-1712. I want to achieve a 2.1, maybe 3.1 setup, for movies, video games, and music in my 11'x11'x8' room. Originally I was thinking of matching two CBM-170 SEs with a $200-300 subwoofer and then possibly adding a matching center channel down the line. I came across a post in another forum recommending two CBM-340 SEs, thus creating a phantom center, and forgoing an actual center. Would I still want a sub with the CBM-340 SEs? Would the CBM-340 SEs be overkill in my small room?

So my options are:

1) CBM-170 SEs + subwoofer for $500-600 (adding a center would increase total to $700-800)
2) CBM-340 SEs alone for $568 (adding a subwoofer would increase total to $768-868)

What do you guys think?

In a room that small unless you really desire high spl I think the 170s will do fine but if you watch a lot of tvs and movies the center gets a lot of work and I'd get one, couldn't tell you about games and wouldn't matter for music unless multichannel music is in your future (thinking 5 channel in that case, though). That Klipsch RW12D sub is a good deal at 300 (I actually got one recently, while it's not a super sub it's good for the $). I'd still want a sub with pretty much any bookshelf speaker, but I like a lot of bass (I have Sierra1s L/C/R, 170SEs for surrounds, 200SEs for rear surrounds, plus 3 subs albeit in a much bigger room (about 4500 cubic feet as against your 968 cuft)
post #3229 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

In a room that small unless you really desire high spl I think the 170s will do fine but if you watch a lot of tvs and movies the center gets a lot of work and I'd get one, couldn't tell you about games and wouldn't matter for music unless multichannel music is in your future (thinking 5 channel in that case, though). That Klipsch RW12D sub is a good deal at 300 (I actually got one recently, while it's not a super sub it's good for the $). I'd still want a sub with pretty much any bookshelf speaker, but I like a lot of bass (I have Sierra1s L/C/R, 170SEs for surrounds, 200SEs for rear surrounds, plus 3 subs albeit in a much bigger room (about 4500 cubic feet as against your 968 cuft)

I agree...for my room I think the 170 SEs will be fine. The problem I see with the 170 SEs is if I decide to add a center the 340SE is really the only true matching center that Ascend offers, unless I'm mistaken. After shipping and taxes that's $350 for just the center. Some of the other ID companies I looked at that had bookshelf speakers for $300 a pair also had centers for $150-200. I'm also limited on space and placement options for a center and the 340 SE is bigger than some of the other companies offerings. What to do.
post #3230 of 3912
Well there is a 170SE center speaker and there's nothing wrong with using just a regular 170SE (but you'd have to call to arrange the order) and they're so squarish it isn't a huge difference positioned vertical or horizontal. Three 340SEs on the other hand are a nice ideal all the same...but they are fairly large.

Not even sure the 170SE Center is anything but a grill with the logo appropriately positioned (maybe the rear terminal as well). There's no waveguide on my 170SEs so can't see how positioning is that critical horizontal vs vertical.
post #3231 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well there is a 170SE center speaker and there's nothing wrong with using just a regular 170SE (but you'd have to call to arrange the order) and they're so squarish it isn't a huge difference positioned vertical or horizontal. Three 340SEs on the other hand are a nice ideal all the same...but they are fairly large.
Not even sure the 170SE Center is anything but a grill with the logo appropriately positioned (maybe the rear terminal as well). There's no waveguide on my 170SEs so can't see how positioning is that critical horizontal vs vertical.

I guess I could do three 170 SEs. I could position the center 170 SE vertical or horizontal. Instead of ordering just two 170 SEs I could order three and save on shipping. Maybe Ascend would be willing to cut me a deal. I'll contact them tomorrow.

P.S. Would the HTM-200 SE Center match the 170 SEs?
post #3232 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well there is a 170SE center speaker and there's nothing wrong with using just a regular 170SE (but you'd have to call to arrange the order) and they're so squarish it isn't a huge difference positioned vertical or horizontal. Three 340SEs on the other hand are a nice ideal all the same...but they are fairly large.
Not even sure the 170SE Center is anything but a grill with the logo appropriately positioned (maybe the rear terminal as well). There's no waveguide on my 170SEs so can't see how positioning is that critical horizontal vs vertical.

I guess I could do three 170 SEs. I could position the center 170 SE vertical or horizontal. Instead of ordering just two 170 SEs I could order three and save on shipping. Maybe Ascend would be willing to cut me a deal. I'll contact them tomorrow.

P.S. Would the HTM-200 SE Center match the 170 SEs?

I've used my 200SE center with the 170SEs as L/R and thought they went together well, that was in my bedroom which is a little larger than your room. I'm currently still using the 200SE center with some SVS MB-02s in the bedroom (with some Energy Take sats for surrounds in that room).
post #3233 of 3912
I currently have Polk monitor 60's and CS2 in my setup with Pioneer THX receiver. Do you think a 340 3.0 upgrade will be a huge difference? Anyone go from Polk to Ascend?
post #3234 of 3912
Is the CBM-340 SE overkill for a small room (11'x11'x8')? I don't particularly like listening to movies & music at very loud volumes. I'm more interested in moderate levels without losing detail.
post #3235 of 3912
I used 3 CBM-340SE speakers by themselves for about 4 months before I could afford to add a sub. I was very impressed with their performance with no sub. Movies were enjoyable, even without the lowest frequencies being played.
post #3236 of 3912
I think the answer is yes, but want to make sure. Will the CBM-170 SEs accept banana plugs like these ones?

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/waveflex-banana/WF8.html
post #3237 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I think the answer is yes, but want to make sure. Will the CBM-170 SEs accept banana plugs like these ones?
http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/waveflex-banana/WF8.html
Yup....no problem.
post #3238 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Is the CBM-340 SE overkill for a small room (11'x11'x8')? I don't particularly like listening to movies & music at very loud volumes. I'm more interested in moderate levels without losing detail.

Not at all. I have a pair of CBM-170's and use a CMT-340C in a 700 sq. ft. apartment and they sound great. I have a Yamaha RX-A700, and usually keep the volume between -55db's and -60db's, and they still have a very full bodied and rich sound without being overpowering. These are very efficent speakers and with a little more volume don't get overly bright, harsh and don't break up. Clean and smooth sounding speakers, plus Dave and Dina are great to deal with.
post #3239 of 3912
Just ordered a pair of CMT-340s, a CMT-340 center, and a pair of CBM-170s for surround!
post #3240 of 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

Just ordered a pair of CMT-340s, a CMT-340 center, and a pair of CBM-170s for surround!

Awesome, let us all know what you think of them when you have had time to set-up and listen. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Ascend SE Owner's Thread