or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 800

post #23971 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobamaniac View Post

That looks like a substantial tweeter ding. I'd imagine it would affect the sound somewhat. Perhaps ask the shop if they will order a new tweeter part for you. You can install it yourself pretty easily. If you go this route just PM me and I can give you all the details on how to do it without damaging anything. In a nutshell it would involve removing the adjacent 5-1/2" midrange driver. Then you'd push out the tweeter from behind. There are tricks for getting the 5-1/2" out if it seems stuck, and for prying off the leads to the tweeter without bending the tangs, etc. You need a 3mm allen bit tool or allen key, plus my secret home made 5'1/2" midrange/woofer driver extraction tool. I'll be glad to help.
Bob

Since I've had the misfortune to have several defective RC series speakers, I've gotten proficient at taking them apart My first defects were lackluster tweeters in a pair of cherry RC-10's. I didn't want to ship them for repair since I was worried about shipping damage (with no cherry replacements readily available). I was able (with great effort and lots of delay) to have warranty replacement tweeters sent to me from Energy via my dealer. And then I had to go into an RC-LCR to fix a loose inductor coil on a crossover board (eBay RC-LCR).

So for any of you in similar situations, where getting an authorized repair may seem too difficult, expensive, or risky (with shipping, etc.) I have some photos and descriptions on how I remove/replace the drivers on these speakers. If you are reasonably good with basic tools, and careful, it's not all that difficult to do a successful disassembly/reassembly.

Please know that I received permission to do the RC-10 tweeter replacements myself after talking with Energy and then my dealer, thus not voiding my warranty. I'd suggest anyone with a valid warranty in effect and attempting what I've done should also contact their dealer and Energy first. You'll need to do that to get parts anyway. For the eBay RC-LCR I don't think I really have a warranty anyway so I wasn't worried.

I show my homemade "woofer extraction tool" in the photos. Specifically what I'm talking about is the 45 degree bit from a set of snap ring pliers interchangeable points/bits. See picture at bottom of this posting for example. Sears may carry these, or at least they used to. You may have something else lying around the house that will wedge itself into/under the screw hole...I just found this solution to work really nicely.

And here's the link to the photos and descriptions of my procedure:
http://public.fotki.com/shredbob/energy-rc-xx-speake/

Enjoy.
Bob
LL
post #23972 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjadhav View Post

i know! It's all so mysterious. I was thinking the same thing, but then i suppose it is probably easier to sell discontinued products under the radar than to sell current items at a significantly lower price. For example, if this guy were to sell the newer veritas series at a lower price, i am assuming someone would notice. Since most authorized energy retailers don't have the rc-lcr in stock anymore, this guy is not competing against them and hence is not encroaching on their market.

EDIT: to be clear, there is no reason to suspect that there are fake speakers out there...
post #23973 of 51452
scammers will do almost ANYTHING to make a buck...sad really.
post #23974 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post

Yeah. I don't want to alarm anyone, but IF it were to turn out that they weren't authorized production, I would fear the possibility of fake parts (tweeters/woofers) being used as well. However, it just seems to highly unlikely to me that a Chinese manufacturer would choose to make fake RC-LCRs. Seems like a lot of effort to set up the tooling just to produce a few hundred units. And if they did, you would think they would do more of the RC line up (RC-70 and RC-10, at least - possibly RC-R as well) to be able to offer a complete set, and yet aside from the remaining stock at the various B&M retailers, the RC-70 and RC-10 seem to be pretty rare now. It's all very odd.

Now watch a bunch of RC-10s show up on eBay!

EDIT: Although, somewhat amazingly, they have found fake Audyssey microphones on eBay - who would have thought somebody'd go through the effort to make those.

I hope these are just leftover stock and not substandard units manufactured for the gray market. I wish we could find the real story behind these speakers. You are right in that it would make more sense to do the other RC series such as the 70s... I suppose the profit margin would be greater for the 70s.

Hopefully this is just an extra batch of RC-LCRs!
post #23975 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobamaniac View Post

Did you ever find out if Energy will sell tweeters directly to you? If you're too far from a repair center to drive, then putting the new tweeters in yourself would make sense. I would be very hesitant to ship these big speakers without the original box. And even with the box I'd be nervous, since most of the styrofoam pieces in my RC-50 boxes ended up cracked or broken. I don't think these big speakers were packed well enough for shipping unless careful double boxing was to be used.

The Energy rep told me they could not and that I had to contact gentec (?) for parts, he also told me their designed in a way that a pushed in tweeter (both of mine are worse than the pic earlier) could definitely have a negative impact on sound, especially on the long term.

I did not call Gentec because it is not a toll-free number 905-513-7733 (I already spent way too much time over that purchase and research anyway, too much hassle if you ask me), and could not find their email for parts as their website is confusing. I will probably return my RC-70 that I paid 800$ + tax.

Please PM me if you have any new info, I will do too if I find anything (I really don't want to return them but I find it hard to buy a damaged and dust-filled product that's been used and maybe abused and could easily get even more damaged with nothing I could do about it).

Besides, my room is only about 13X10, does anyone here know if it would be a bit overkill to go for the RC-70 when my room is easily filled by my CF-30s?
post #23976 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

I did not call Gentec because it is not a toll-free number 905-513-7733 (I already spent way too much time over that purchase and research anyway, too much hassle if you ask me), and could not find their email for parts as their website is confusing. I will probably return my RC-70 that I paid 800$ + tax.

Please PM me if you have any new info, I will do too if I find anything (I really don't want to return them but I find it hard to buy a damaged and dust-filled product that's been used and maybe abused and could easily get even more damaged with nothing I could do about it)

Do NOT return them yet!! I have dealt with Gentec on a few occasions (I bought used Energy's and need a few things) and they are superb!! I am at work and can't log in to hotmail, but I will try and look up the info when I get home for you. Simply write them an email, tell them you can't call long distance and the should phone you for your credit card info and ship you a tweeter pronto. You should have gotten the part number from Energy, which saves the Gentec guys from looking it up. On one occasion, the part I wanted wasn't in stock, so I told them when they got it, to process the order and ship it...a few weeks later it just showed up at my door, I didn't have to call back to check up or remind them at all...
Also, they are Energy parts...they are simply the Canadian distributor...
post #23977 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post


Yeah. I don't want to alarm anyone, but IF it were to turn out that they weren't authorized production, I would fear the possibility of fake parts (tweeters/woofers) being used as well. However, it just seems to highly unlikely to me that a Chinese manufacturer would choose to make fake RC-LCRs. Seems like a lot of effort to set up the tooling just to produce a few hundred units. And if they did, you would think they would do more of the RC line up (RC-70 and RC-10, at least - possibly RC-R as well) to be able to offer a complete set, and yet aside from the remaining stock at the various B&M retailers, the RC-70 and RC-10 seem to be pretty rare now. It's all very odd.

Now watch a bunch of RC-10s show up on eBay!

EDIT: Although, somewhat amazingly, they have found fake Audyssey microphones on eBay - who would have thought somebody'd go through the effort to make those.

Wow. So my rc lcr from the eBay seller can be fake ? How do I find out?
post #23978 of 51452
Wait a minute, there is a whole lot of speculation going on here, unfounded too. Lets not jump to conclusions and start getting people worried about their RC LCR and whether they are authentic or not.
post #23979 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

The Energy rep told me they could not and that I had to contact gentec (?) for parts, he also told me their designed in a way that a pushed in tweeter (both of mine are worse than the pic earlier) could definitely have a negative impact on sound, especially on the long term.

I did not call Gentec because it is not a toll-free number 905-513-7733 (I already spent way too much time over that purchase and research anyway, too much hassle if you ask me), and could not find their email for parts as their website is confusing. I will probably return my RC-70 that I paid 800$ + tax.

Please PM me if you have any new info, I will do too if I find anything (I really don't want to return them but I find it hard to buy a damaged and dust-filled product that's been used and maybe abused and could easily get even more damaged with nothing I could do about it).

Besides, my room is only about 13X10, does anyone here know if it would be a bit overkill to go for the RC-70 when my room is easily filled by my CF-30s?

I called the Gentec 905-513-7733 number for you. I have Vonage and live in California and pay no charges for intl calls. The first thing the guy asked is where I'm calling from. When I told him Calif he said they only ship within Canada. But I asked for the price and part number anyway.

RC-70 tweeter
Part #5DR-53118
Cost $60, I think he first said $50 so $60 must include shipping.

Now if that's too much to pay can't you take them to an authorized service center? Since you bought them from Futureshop you've got a 5 year warranty.

I surely wouldn't return them for CF-30s. That is a huge step down in performance and build quality.

Quote:


Another question, is dust an issue when buying demo speakers? For instance, if I return them for repair, could Energy say it is abused thus void for guarantee if too dusty. Because there was a lot of it outside, I don't even want to imagine what's inside.

It's pretty easy to wipe dust off of a speaker.
post #23980 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

The Energy rep told me they could not and that I had to contact gentec (?) for parts, he also told me their designed in a way that a pushed in tweeter (both of mine are worse than the pic earlier) could definitely have a negative impact on sound, especially on the long term.

I did not call Gentec because it is not a toll-free number 905-513-7733 (I already spent way too much time over that purchase and research anyway, too much hassle if you ask me), and could not find their email for parts as their website is confusing. I will probably return my RC-70 that I paid 800$ + tax.

Please PM me if you have any new info, I will do too if I find anything (I really don't want to return them but I find it hard to buy a damaged and dust-filled product that's been used and maybe abused and could easily get even more damaged with nothing I could do about it).

Besides, my room is only about 13X10, does anyone here know if it would be a bit overkill to go for the RC-70 when my room is easily filled by my CF-30s?

I have had to contact Gentec for some speaker badges and tweeters in the past. The guy that I talked to was nice enough but had no clue of what he was talking about for what I needed. I didn't end up going through with the order as I found an amazing repair guy that I completely trust and also like
What area do you live in?
post #23981 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I called the Gentec 905-513-7733 number for you. I have Vonage and live in California and pay no charges for intl calls. The first thing the guy asked is where I'm calling from. When I told him Calif he said they only ship within Canada. But I asked for the price and part number anyway.

RC-70 tweeter
Part #5DR-53118
Cost $60, I think he first said $50 so $60 must include shipping.

I would take them to a service center but there is non in Quebec.

Now if that's too much to pay can't you take them to an authorized service center? Since you bought them from Futureshop you've got a 5 year warranty.



I surely wouldn't return them for CF-30s. That is a huge step down in performance and build quality.



It's pretty easy to wipe dust off of a speaker.

Thank you very much, you have been by far the most useful of all the people I spoke to about my issue.

Also I would take them to a service center but there is none in Quebec.

About the dust, I meant inside the speaker, is it wise to pass the vaccuum cleaner once il a while or no? Because there was a lot in the hole in the back...
post #23982 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

I have had to contact Gentec for some speaker badges and tweeters in the past. The guy that I talked to was nice enough but had no clue of what he was talking about for what I needed. I didn't end up going through with the order as I found an amazing repair guy that I completely trust and also like
What area do you live in?

Thank you for your reply,

I live in Montreal.
post #23983 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolthill View Post

Sorry, no pics available tonite, I'll see if I can get some up later this week.

Still waiting!! I found a great deal on TWRs AFTER I just finished renovating my entire HT with FPS up front (LCR in rear)... $109 ea. I think the extra 2 drivers per speaker would have made a nice improvement in my setup...alas, I stuck with the FPS (that I am not regretting by the way!)
post #23984 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

Bought a pair of RC-70 demo at FS today for 399, but missing all the accessories, even the front cover and spikes, any chance I can order it back from Energy, please help!

Yep, They will send you over to a shipping company. Nothing comes cheap though..especially cosmetic type parts. For $399 you have extra money to accomodate this. Nice find
post #23985 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

Bought a pair of RC-70 demo at FS today for 399, but missing all the accessories, even the front cover and spikes, any chance I can order it back from Energy, please help!

Did you really get both for 399? Which FS was that?
post #23986 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post

Quick question. I have a set of CF-50s and sit only 8 feet away from them. What should I do about toeing them in. Should I toe them in to the center of the listening position or right outside... or put them straight forward? They are also about 5.5ft away from each other.

Thanks for any opinions!

Toe them in to hit the main listening position. Your money paid for them so you should enjoy the benefits of the best sound. You can't keep everyone equally happy so screw 'em For 8 feet away never keep the towers facing straight forward or you will be wasting your money and wasting the sound
post #23987 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

Thank you very much, you have been by far the most useful of all the people I spoke to about my issue.

Also I would take them to a service center but there is none in Quebec.

About the dust, I meant inside the speaker, is it wise to pass the vaccuum cleaner once il a while or no? Because there was a lot in the hole in the back...

This place is in Montreal. Not sure if they are an authorized service center but they sell all the Energy speaker components. The RC-70 parts list is on page 29.
http://ndgservice.ca/data/pdf/energy_1.pdf

Actually the website says they are authorized to do in and out of warranty repairs on Energy speakers.
http://ndgservice.ca/index_en.php?lang=en
post #23988 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjadhav View Post

This same seller... or his affiliate has a couple of other listings for the RC-LCR on eBay which states the item is located in China. That makes me think this fellow may have a Chinese connection. He must have received some sort of bulk shipment from China. If he were to buy these many RC-LCRs in the US... it would be a significant investment. Even if he paid about $200 for each of them in the US market, that would be an investment of about $40,000 for the 200 LCRs. My hunch is that he must have got them much cheaper directly from China?

Or maybe it's just my imagination running wild!

You are talking about a discontinued speaker here. We know of them now but in a few years there won't be much talk of them because nobody else will know of them. There are going to be thousands of these kicking around that people will want to sell and not be stuck with. I would rather sell something for $10 and have $10 then to not be able to sell at all. When companies are bought and sold these miscalculations of production can happen. $40,000 of inventory for a business is really nothing in the big scheme of things
post #23989 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

This place is in Montreal. Not sure if they are an authorized service center but they sell all the Energy speaker components. The RC-70 parts list is on page 29.
http://ndgservice.ca/data/pdf/energy_1.pdf

Actually the website says they are authorized to do in and out of warranty repairs on Energy speakers.
http://ndgservice.ca/index_en.php?lang=en

Thank you so much for your time and efforts, you are really incredibly helpful!
post #23990 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

Bought a pair of RC-70 demo at FS today for 399, but missing all the accessories, even the front cover and spikes, any chance I can order it back from Energy, please help!

Woe woe woe $399 a pair?!!?!???
Amazing find!!!!
I thought it was each
WOW! Congrats to the best find I've heard about!!
post #23991 of 51452
You know, you got a good price and all, but considering FS was selling brand new in the box RC-70s for $499 each around Boxing Day I bet you could have knocked off another $100 on the pair of dusty demos with dented tweeters.

That would pretty much cover the cost of replacement drivers. Did you try to negotiate on price at all? Did you get all the other parts i.e. base, spikes, foam plugs, grilles, manual etc?
post #23992 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

Thank you for your reply,

I live in Montreal.

Afrogt's efforts are probably best for you. Montreal is far away from me and my repair / accessory guy . Good luck on the quest The 70's are well worth putting effort into. You will not be disappointed
post #23993 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You know, you got a good price and all, but considering FS was selling brand new in the box RC-70s for $499 each around Boxing Day I bet you could have knocked off another $100 on the pair of dusty demos with dented tweeters.

That would pretty much cover the cost of replacement drivers. Did you try to negotiate on price at all? Did you get all the other parts i.e. base, spikes, foam plugs, grilles, manual etc?

I got the grilles and the spikes and the base only.

I know I could have negociated lower but there were 3 sellers hovering around me telling me how lucky I was, one even going as far as to use the "if you don't take it I will" line so it was rather difficult to negociate. I'm not that good at it anyway, anyone has tips as to how to negociate a better bargain?

For sure if the person who had two for 399 confirms it was the price for a pair I am going to use that argument.

Thank you very much for your reply.
post #23994 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

They wouldn't budge with me on Jan. 13 and I am great at haggling. They weren't even interested in selling the floor models at all and there was no new ones in stock. Maybe the employees were already lined up to buy them.
I still drove to another location and got the very last new pair at any Future Shop

More and more I think that's what I should have done.
post #23995 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

More and more I think that's what I should have done.

Don't dwell on small details man. You bought a pair of $3000 speakers for $1000. (With a warranty) That is the main part here. The RC 70's are a killer speaker and for a few bucks more they will be close to new. Hardly anyone sells these used and there is a reason for it
I say you did fantastic and I wouldn't regret the purchase at all. The RC 70's were sold out in 5 minutes on Boxing Day at the Future Shop near me so maybe they weren't available for you to buy new anyways. In a few years all you'll be thinking about is the great speaker you are listening to and not the " I wonder if I could have saved $70 on them" .
post #23996 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

Don't dwell on small details man. You bought a pair of $3000 speakers for $1000. (With a warranty) That is the main part here. The RC 70's are a killer speaker and for a few bucks more they will be close to new. Hardly anyone sells these used and there is a reason for it
I say you did fantastic and I wouldn't regret the purchase at all. The RC 70's were sold out in 5 minutes on Boxing Day at the Future Shop near me so maybe they weren't available for you to buy new anyways. In a few years all you'll be thinking about is the great speaker you are listening to and not the " I wonder if I could have saved $70 on them" .

Thank you, I will seriously think about that.

I am a total newbie so I rely on greatly positive opinions of RC-70s from people here, but I never really listened to them in a proper environment so it is hard for me to really grasp the "ecstasy inducing" difference they have over other speakers.
post #23997 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 View Post

Wow. So my rc lcr from the eBay seller can be fake ? How do I find out?

It would be highly unlikely, I was just going off on a tangent. As I said, I don't think it would make sense for a factory in China to go through the effort of producing fake RC-LCRs. But if you are worried about it (I wouldn't be), weigh the speaker. I'd guess a fake would probably weigh quite a bit less than the real thing.

But like AfroGT said, what I said is wildly speculative.
post #23998 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

Thank you, I will seriously think about that.

I am a total newbie so I rely on greatly positive opinions of RC-70s from people here, but I never really listened to them in a proper environment so it is hard for me to really grasp the "ecstasy inducing" difference they have over other speakers.

I'm new here too but I have had many many Energy products in the past and present. The girlfriend will soon have to move out as there is no more room for her What amp are planning to use with these bad boys?
post #23999 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post

Thank you, I will seriously think about that.

I am a total newbie so I rely on greatly positive opinions of RC-70s from people here, but I never really listened to them in a proper environment so it is hard for me to really grasp the "ecstasy inducing" difference they have over other speakers.

I've been through a lot of speakers over the last 45 years.
I'm not sure the 70's induce ecstasy for me, but I can tell you that they are VERY nice.
I've had the 70's and an LCR for my front three about three years now, and feel no need to change any time soon.
Ya done good!
post #24000 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

I've been through a lot of speakers over the last 45 years.
I'm not sure the 70's induce ecstasy for me, but I can tell you that they are VERY nice.
I've had the 70's and an LCR for my front three about three years now, and feel no need to change any time soon.
Ya done good!

What is your favourite model of Energy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread