or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 81

post #2401 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLSpiRE View Post

I would be using the Emotiva for both. I think I used the wrong term but I intend to use my current Onkyo as a procressor strictly. I'll take the 2.2i's into consideration but depending on the price difference between them and the 2.4i's, I might get the 2.4s instead as I do listen to quite a bit of music too.

As for the sub suggestions, I would need to find Canadian stores that sell them, right now i have contacts at two stores that carry Velodyne and Energy hence I would be able to get them a tad cheaper although I find Velodyne prices are hard to swallow I'll check again tonight at the cost of the 12".

My room size I beleive I would say is roughly 15x30-40

If you are going to use your receiver as process then you need an amplifier to take the amplification for the channels. There are a lot of good amplifier options.

If you want to go with 2.4i's for music that is a good idea. But I would recommend going with a different preamplifier than the emotiva.

I would get a dedicated 2 channel preamplifier with HT bypass. That way you get a good 2 channel side and still use a receiver as the processor for the HT side. It works great. I have a Cary SLP 2002 tube preamplifier with HT bypass and this was the best thing I've got for getting the sound quality I want out of my system.

Considering you are buying veritas, I side with Warpdrive and say that the energy sub isn't worth pairing to veritas gear as there is much better out there. Energy subs won't hold a candle to decent boutique manufacturers of subs like SVS and HSU. Velodyne make some great subs but they are pricey as you mentioned. Paradigm Servo's are good and made in Canada, but a little pricey compared to SVS. SVS is now distributed in Canada. Check out sonic boom audio. You can't go wrong with them. They offer huge quality and bang for the buck. But getting reference level quality bass isn't overly cheap. But it is a lot cheaper than it was a couple of years ago.

That is a huge room. I'd recommend getting two PB13 ultra's or something capable of that kind of output in order to get to reference SPL bass. A properly sized sub (generally subs) in HT can make the HT experience unforgettable. IMO, it is probably the most important piece of the HT puzzle.


Good luck.....

kw.........
post #2402 of 51590
Another question?

Running Yamaha 661
I have 2 speakers connected.........Energy RC 10's as fronts
no subwoofer connected

When I ran 'Sound Auto-setup'

*It set 'FRONT' to large and will NOT allow me to change 'FRONT' to small

*It set crossover at 40

been running it like this for 1 week

Is 40 crossover too low? or is it not relevent without a sub

cheers

sadchel
post #2403 of 51590
If there is no sub, what is there to crossover? The only reason for a "small" speaker setting is so that the receiver will conduct bass management and divert low-frequency sound to the sub. If there is no sub, your speakers have to be set as large (unless I'm missing something).
post #2404 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If there is no sub, what is there to crossover? The only reason for a "small" speaker setting is so that the receiver will conduct bass management and divert low-frequency sound to the sub. If there is no sub, your speakers have to be set as large (unless I'm missing something).

that makes sense to me.

I have been reading posts in here about doing possible damage to speakers if the crossover is set too low. But that was with 5.1/subwoofer setups.

I just was not clear whether crossovers settings applied to simple 2
speaker setups

cheers

sadchel
post #2405 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Running Yamaha 661
I have 2 speakers connected.........Energy RC 10's as fronts
no subwoofer connected

When I ran 'Sound Auto-setup'

*It set 'FRONT' to large and will NOT allow me to change 'FRONT' to small

*It set crossover at 40

Your RX-V661 should provide decent power for your RC-10's.

If you are only planning to use system for [primarily] home-theater surround(DVD-Movies and digital-cable broadcasts), and some casual music listening, then I would just go with one of the Energy S10.3 or S12.3 subs. You can even consider one of the new ESW-V10 series subs (if you can find one).

Also I would suggest using an RC-LCR for center, and RC-R's for rears (or two additional RC-10's for rears).

This set-up would provide you with a solid system for home-theater and music- for the least cost.

With this set-up you would set all speakers for SMALL (front's, center, and rear's), and LFE = SUBWOOFER. Set crossover for 80Hz.
post #2406 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post


If you are only planning to use system for [primarily] home-theater surround(DVD-Movies and digital-cable broadcasts), and some casual music listening, then I would just go with one of the Energy S10.3 or S12.3 subs. You can even consider one of the new ESW-V10 series subs (if you can find one).

Right now, that's exactly what my system is doing:

2 channel music and dvd movies/digital cable................70% music 30%HT

gonna build up to 5.1....

next up is, with some great advice from the good people here, is a sub

prolly either an Energy 10.3 or PB10-NSD

then decide on center/surrounds later

cheers

sadchel
post #2407 of 51590
I've use a PSB Subsonic 6i and am very happy with it. It easily handles the long, low rumbles for HT and is still fast enough for music. It's currently used in an approx 25x25x8 room.

FYI, Sound & Vision did a sub comparo "Seismic Subs" in September 2004 where it did very, very well. It wasn't the lowest sub in the test nor the loudest, but had by far the best bandwith uniformity.

In fact, it's lab results compare competitively with the winner Hsu VTF-3 mk3 (with Turbo) in their May 2007 mid-priced (USD650-800) sub shoot out.

You can buy these for as low as $500 on the internet, or closer to $700 at a Canadian B&M. It's definitely worth considering.

cheers
post #2408 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Right now, that's exactly what my system is doing:

2 channel music and dvd movies/digital cable................70% music 30%HT

gonna build up to 5.1....

since you're emphasis is 2-channel music (70%) then you would definitely want to step-up to a better, more articulate, sub to work with your RC-10 front's (just like warpdrive and others mention).
post #2409 of 51590
Here are my C7's upstairs, riding solo with an HSU VTF3 Mk2 in 2.1 mode.

They will eventually go to the basement with my C-C3 and CR-1's once I get a projector and some furniture.

BTW, the basement setup I put together last night for fun. It's an old 2ch receiver, Insignia bookshelfs, and Paradigm PW-2100. It sounds really good considering the price! (ignoring the cost of the sub)
LL
LL
LL
post #2410 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

Here are my C7's upstairs, riding solo with an HSU VTF3 Mk2 in 2.1 mode.

They will eventually go to the basement with my C-C3 and CR-1's once I get a projector and some furniture.

BTW, the basement setup I put together last night for fun. It's an old 2ch receiver, Insignia bookshelfs, and Paradigm PW-2100. It sounds really good considering the price! (ignoring the cost of the sub)

How's the Mk2 doing in your big opened room? I was thinking of that one too.

Are you more into music or HT?!
post #2411 of 51590
The HSU is doing great. It provides more than enough output for me. It can really gate the room shaking.

I am definetly more of a music guy. Hence why my center and surround speakers have been boxed for the last 6 months after I moved.

Here are some more pictures to show the space I am dealing with..
LL
LL
post #2412 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

The HSU is doing great. It provides more than enough output for me. It can really gate the room shaking.

I am definetly more of a music guy. Hence why my center and surround speakers have been boxed for the last 6 months after I moved.

Here are some more pictures to show the space I am dealing with..

Hey nice house btw... look really comfy! :P

Right now I have a Velodyne DPS-10B and I was thinking of changing it. I heard that HSU had great "musicality". That's what I'm looking for. Accuracy, tight punchy bass in the chest. I don't care much for sub-20htz frequencies.

I'm dying to hear the new energy subs as well... somebody still??
post #2413 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

since you're emphasis is 2-channel music (70%) then you would definitely want to step-up to a better, more articulate, sub to work with your RC-10 front's (just like warpdrive and others mention).

Can you explain why the Energy 10.3 would be inferior to the SVS PB10-NSD for music?

Another question:

Is the step down from an Energy RC-LCR center to RC mini center a drastic one?

cheers

sadchel
post #2414 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Can you explain why the Energy 10.3 would be inferior to the SVS PB10-NSD for music?

Another question:

Is the step down from an Energy RC-LCR center to RC mini center a drastic one?

cheers

sadchel

If you have room at the center, I would get another RC-10.

I have a pair of RC-Minis. The tweeter is not the same as RC-10s and does not sound as sweet and clean. I believe the tweeter or the RC-LCR is the same one on the RC-Mini.
post #2415 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homl View Post

If you have room at the center, I would get another RC-10.

I have a pair of RC-Minis. The tweeter is not the same as RC-10s and does not sound as sweet and clean. I believe the tweeter or the RC-LCR is the same one on the RC-Mini.

Actually, I don't think I have the room for the RC-LCR center or a RC10 . They are a little big!

A RC mini center would fit better, but I wonder if the quality would suffer too much.

cheers

sadchel
post #2416 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Can you explain why the Energy 10.3 would be inferior to the SVS PB10-NSD for music?
sadchel

I think these 2 subs are extrmely well designed. The cone construction of the Energy is superior to the SVS. You CANNOT blow it. Holy crap! It's built like a tank. For example, I'd be afraid of pushing the SVS with WOTW pod scene, not so with the S10.3. However, the SVS is louder and produces a more clearer bass. The S10 runs out of steam in bigger rooms. Both will go down into the 18hz range in a small room. The S10, for such a light and small sub is phenominal.
post #2417 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I think these 2 subs are extrmely well designed. The cone construction of the Energy is superior to the SVS. You CANNOT blow it. Holy crap! It's built like a tank. For example, I'd be afraid of pushing the SVS with WOTW pod scene, not so with the S10.3. However, the SVS is louder and produces a more clearer bass. The S10 runs out of steam in bigger rooms. Both will go down into the 18hz range in a small room. The S10, for such a light and small sub is phenominal.

Like I stated earlier, usage would be 70% music/ 30% HT.

room is 21x13ft

For music would running 2 fronts+sub.

Anyway, gonna wait till FS has a big sale on Energy 10.3 subs to decide about
Energy vs. SVS

cheers

sadchel
post #2418 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Actually, I don't think I have the room for the RC-LCR center or a RC10 . They are a little big!

A RC mini center would fit better, but I wonder if the quality would suffer too much.

cheers

sadchel

If space is a concern, the RC-Mini should do fine as a center.
Maybe an RC-R might fit as a center. They sound exactly the same as the RC-10s without the extra bass extension. In a 5.1 system it would be a seamless match.
post #2419 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Like I stated earlier, usage would be 70% music/ 30% HT.

room is 21x13ft

For music would running 2 fronts+sub.

Anyway, gonna wait till FS has a big sale on Energy 10.3 subs to decide about
Energy vs. SVS

cheers

sadchel

21x13x 8 feet, I would get the PB12 NSD. You'll be pushing the PB10 and too big for the S10.3. If you want tactile effects from the S10.3, you won't get much in a room like that. Both are very tight sub. Energy IMO designs their stuff for music first, then HT.
post #2420 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Can you explain why the Energy 10.3 would be inferior to the SVS PB10-NSD for music?

Actually, I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Energy S10.3 at all, it's very good.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...pecs.php?id=39

However the SVS will play a little better down into the lowest frequencies easier and a little more articulate, better control, has more power (300W compared to 200W).
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-...nsd.cfm#driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Is the step down from an Energy RC-LCR center to RC mini center a drastic one?

it's not necessarily a step-down, all the RC-Series product share similiar kevlar woofer construction with a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter (up to 23KHz). Consequently they all share a similiar sound-quality charateristic. However the RC-LCR has much more range combined with a very unique, dedicated, mid-range composed of two 2-inch aluminum drivers:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ecs.php?id=270
The RC-LCR has a much more "pronounced" mid-range, and will play louder (having larger drivers), with beautiful clarity, a very exceptional center speaker design.

The RC-MiniCenter is very good, has very nice high-end response with good mid-range. Only thing, it is limited in range, so you have to be aware to not set crossover below 100Hz. Otherwise it will work just fine with your RC-10's.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ecs.php?id=316

More than anything I would prefer to have the RC-LCR combined with any other RC-Series fronts (ie. RC-10's, RC-30's, RC-50's or RC-70's), it makes for the best center compliment. As much as possible I try to design my system around the best components, and not around the size of my center-speaker cabinet space.

Also I would'nt just use any coventional speaker as center (ie. RC-Mini, RC-R, RC-10, etc.,..), use a dedicated center speaker design (ie. RC-LCR, RC-MiniCenter, etc.,...).
post #2421 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

[
The RC-MiniCenter is very good, has very nice high-end response with good mid-range. Only thing, it is limited in range, so you have to be aware to not set crossover below 100Hz. Otherwise it will work just fine with your RC-10's.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...ecs.php?id=316

Westcoast, I read you state earlier in this tread for the RC mini crossover rate should no lower 100 as well.

So
2 RC 10s for fronts
1 RC mini center
2 RC minis as surrounds

set to 100 crossover works good?


cheers

sadchel
post #2422 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

21x13x 8 feet, I would get the PB12 NSD. You'll be pushing the PB10 and too big for the S10.3. If you want tactile effects from the S10.3, you won't get much in a room like that. Both are very tight sub. Energy IMO designs their stuff for music first, then HT.

21x13x7 is too big for the 10.3 or PB10 NSD?

is that considered a large room? I thought medium!


cheers

sadchel
post #2423 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

So
2 RC 10s for fronts
1 RC mini center
2 RC minis as surrounds

set to 100 crossover works good?

yes, this set-up will work good.
post #2424 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

21x13x7 is too big for the 10.3 or PB10 NSD?

is that considered a large room? I thought medium!


cheers

sadchel

They will be fine. The PB10 moreso, but for a 2000cu/f (yours), I would look at a 12. As I said before, with a 12, you'll get more tactile bass from the boost in power and driver size.
post #2425 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

21x13x7 is too big for the 10.3 or PB10 NSD?

is that considered a large room? I thought medium!


cheers

sadchel

It doesn't matter if the room is considered medium.

If you want to anywhere even beginning to get closer to reference level bass, do you think a single 10 inch driver will do it? Considering car audio nuts go with two 12's or more...

The smaller subs will play well, just not near as loud as a decently sized sub for the room.

IMO, most people undersize the their sub for the room.

You need to decide what your goal is.

Personally I'd go with a PB13 ultra for that room. Or two sb-12's if music is the priority....

kw....
post #2426 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

Personally I'd go with a PB13 ultra for that room.

kw....

WOW, $1600-1800 for a sub.............I think that is quite a bit more than I budgeted for a sub


cheers

sadchel
post #2427 of 51590
Two S10.3's would'nt be bad at all either (for the price)
post #2428 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

Hey nice house btw... look really comfy! :P

Right now I have a Velodyne DPS-10B and I was thinking of changing it. I heard that HSU had great "musicality". That's what I'm looking for. Accuracy, tight punchy bass in the chest. I don't care much for sub-20htz frequencies.

I'm dying to hear the new energy subs as well... somebody still??

I'd agree with that assessment. I'd also say that the HSU blends well with music, and does a good job at disappearing. Before the HSU I was running a Paradigm PW, and found that you could always tell it was on because the bass sounded a bit augmented. Not so with the HSU.
post #2429 of 51590
Hey im in the market for a nice set of floor standing speakers and a center, right now im using a klipsch slx center and infinity p142 bookshelfs as my fronts, ive recently been looking at energys RC 30 and there RC 70 for the fronts and the RC LCR for the center. The RC 30 sell for 1799.99 a pair and the center for 299.99 and the guys at futureshop are presistant that they are better then the polks and klipsch. Any Body have any knowledge they would like to share about these prices and the quality of these speakers?
post #2430 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.smith10 View Post

. The RC 30 sell for 1799.99 a pair

right now FS has the Cherry RC 30's for $800

cheer

sadchel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread