or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 88

post #2611 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharia View Post

Picked up a cherry RC-LCR at Audio Advisor last week on sale. ($425 delivered). Arrived yesterday and along with my new two AVS123 MFW-15's, I can't get the big silly grin off my face. . Lovin it! HD DVD Eagles Farewell Tour I in DTS 5.1 and HD DVD Heart Alive in Seattle in DD TrueHD 5.0 are just incredible. RC-10's for fronts and surrounds and through a Toshiba HD-A35 and Onkyo TX-NR905. AA still has the deal on for the center. Good time to get it as they are authorized dealer as well. I'm really impressed with these Energy speakers. I think for the price and the quality of sound and finish that they can't be touched by any other brand. Even better when you can get them for the sale prices. I thought I would have to pay thousands more to get this level of sound. With the money I saved on the RC-LCR, I treated myself to some Senheisser HD650's.

I don't understand. I'm pissed of that Canadians can't even have better prices than US residents; Energy is a canadian brand. I paid 500$ plus taxes on sale at FutureShop for the same speaker (in rosenut) and I consider it a good deal.

Congrats on your purchases by the way. I don't have anything against it.
post #2612 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

I don't understand. I'm pissed of that Canadians can't even have better prices than US residents; Energy is a canadian brand. I paid 500$ plus taxes on sale at FutureShop for the same speaker (in rosenut) and I consider it a good deal.

Congrats on your purchases by the way. I don't have anything against it.

If it makes you feel any better - I am a Canadian living in the US.
post #2613 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcel View Post

tried passive Bi-Amping on my RC-50's. I have to agree with you 100%...they do sound better, definitely can hear a difference....

glad you had good results with (passive) bi-amping
post #2614 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

I don't understand. I'm pissed of that Canadians can't even have better prices than US residents; Energy is a canadian brand. I paid 500$ plus taxes on sale at FutureShop for the same speaker (in rosenut) and I consider it a good deal.

Congrats on your purchases by the way. I don't have anything against it.

What I find unusual about Future Shop is both the RC70's & RC30's have sold for 50% off MSRP AT some point. But the LCR & RC10's have never being offered up for less than 499.99 per. Living in Canada really does sucks because if I was to buy the RC10's at $350 from audio advisor and pay the duty and brokerage fee it would still be cheaper than the 500.00 at future shop.
post #2615 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharia View Post

Picked up a cherry RC-LCR, along with my new two AVS123 MFW-15's, RC-10's for fronts and surrounds and through a Toshiba HD-A35 and Onkyo TX-NR905

sounds like a "killer" set-up!
post #2616 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

But the LCR & RC10's have never being offered up for less than 499.99 per.

Check out Top Choice Electronics in Woodbridge.

They had the RC 10's for $425 around Boxing day

Don't know what they'd go for now?
post #2617 of 51489
WestCoastD,

Are you still thinking about upgrading to B&W ?
post #2618 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Are you still thinking about upgrading to B&W ?

no, I ended-up getting all new Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GS-LCR center, still using Energy RC-R rears). Very Happy.

While I really liked the sound of the B&W CM-Series (CM-7 fronts, and CM-Center), I preferred the Monitor Audio GS-Series better overall.
post #2619 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

I don't understand. I'm pissed of that Canadians can't even have better prices than US residents; Energy is a canadian brand. I paid 500$ plus taxes on sale at FutureShop for the same speaker (in rosenut) and I consider it a good deal.

Congrats on your purchases by the way. I don't have anything against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

What I find unusual about Future Shop is both the RC70's & RC30's have sold for 50% off MSRP AT some point. But the LCR & RC10's have never being offered up for less than 499.99 per. Living in Canada really does sucks because if I was to buy the RC10's at $350 from audio advisor and pay the duty and brokerage fee it would still be cheaper than the 500.00 at future shop.


Hey, don't worry guys, it's not that much of a difference (less that $100 for the LCR). Don't forget, everything costs less in the US for the most part, but wages are less (on average) so that kind of evens things out a bit.


Also - the RC's are made in China, not Canada - therefore we pay higher duties than the US I believe (though I have no factual proof and am going by heresay only).

What gets me going is CANADIAN MADE product selling for less MSRP than here. Deals - that's going to happen. Far more retailers down there, far more crooks, far more shady deals behind closed doors, I can live with that (the lower sale prices). But MSRP? Give me a freaking break. Though I bought the RC line, I emailed both Paradigm and Energy asking them why the CANADIAN made models of their speakers carried a higher MSRP here than in the US with the $ on Par. As I figured, no response. I guess it's just the way it is, so I bought a US made SVS sub for the same price in Canadian $'s that you could buy it for in the US, payed half the shipping, and ZERO brokerage or duty fees (shipped from Sonic Boom). Would have gladly bought a Servo, but screw them. May as well buy US products since I can get a better deal.
post #2620 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Hey, don't worry guys, it's not that much of a difference (less that $100 for the LCR). Don't forget, everything costs less in the US for the most part, but wages are less (on average) so that kind of evens things out a bit.


Also - the RC's are made in China, not Canada - therefore we pay higher duties than the US I believe (though I have no factual proof and am going by heresay only).

What gets me going is CANADIAN MADE product selling for less MSRP than here. Deals - that's going to happen. Far more retailers down there, far more crooks, far more shady deals behind closed doors, I can live with that (the lower sale prices). But MSRP? Give me a freaking break. Though I bought the RC line, I emailed both Paradigm and Energy asking them why the CANADIAN made models of their speakers carried a higher MSRP here than in the US with the $ on Par. As I figured, no response. I guess it's just the way it is, so I bought a US made SVS sub for the same price in Canadian $'s that you could buy it for in the US, payed half the shipping, and ZERO brokerage or duty fees (shipped from Sonic Boom). Would have gladly bought a Servo, but screw them. May as well buy US products since I can get a better deal.

Hello K_k! Its funny that you mentioned sonicboom because I sent Mason an email about the new svs mts line up. In his return email he mentioned that the new speakers will include a 6.5% duty plus whatever little currency exchange is at the time. Yes, sonicboom is a good alternative for subwoofers, but why is there a duty tax on American made goods selling in Canada in the first place.
PS: I am looking to buy the sb12 from Sonicboom hopefully after my tax refund.
Regards, Billy p
post #2621 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Check out Top Choice Electronics in Woodbridge.

They had the RC 10's for $425 around Boxing day

Don't know what they'd go for now?

Thanks I'll check them out! Heh.. one thing or another I always seem to be in that area!
post #2622 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hello K_k! Its funny that you mentioned sonicboom because I sent Mason an email about the new svs mts line up. In his return email he mentioned that the new speakers will include a 6.5% duty plus whatever little currency exchange is at the time. Yes, sonicboom is a good alternative for subwoofers, but why is there a duty tax on American made goods selling in Canada in the first place.
PS: I am looking to buy the sb12 from Sonicboom hopefully after my tax refund.
Regards, Billy p

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. North American made goods are all duty free. Just pay the ole sales taxes. For example, I've been considering Era speakers which are made in China, but MSRP is $1000 vs $900 in the US. With the duty, the price in Canada is very close (not worth it for me to buy from a US dealer unless they can discount it agressively - which they don't)
post #2623 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. North American made goods are all duty free. Just pay the ole sales taxes. For example, I've been considering Era speakers which are made in China, but MSRP is $1000 vs $900 in the US. With the duty, the price in Canada is very close (not worth it for me to buy from a US dealer unless they can discount it agressively - which they don't)

I am hoping to audition the D5's? I have tired to locate a dealer via the search engine provided by Signal Path but no luck. I was told by another member to drop them a Email for further assistance. I would love to own the v2.2's but they cost more here than in the States. That is why I am now considering the ERA's or Ascend Sierras.
post #2624 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hello K_k! Its funny that you mentioned sonicboom because I sent Mason an email about the new svs mts line up. In his return email he mentioned that the new speakers will include a 6.5% duty plus whatever little currency exchange is at the time. Yes, sonicboom is a good alternative for subwoofers, but why is there a duty tax on American made goods selling in Canada in the first place.
PS: I am looking to buy the sb12 from Sonicboom hopefully after my tax refund.
Regards, Billy p

Hi Billy

6.5% duty makes no sense to me either unless the speakers are deemed to be made outside North America. Where are the SEAS tweeters made? If the components are sourced outside N/A - it may be classified as such and therefore duty applies. But, I'm not up to all the duty laws either. I'm sure though if Mason told you that it's the case, then I'm sure there's something there.

Did you read the Wisconsin GTG thread? Looks like the SVS's midrange is lacking compared to other speakers (like the Sierra).

Only issue I have with the Sierra is it is over twice the cost of the RC-10, and I don't think it is twice the speaker. I much prefer my RC line over the older Ascend line (340's and 170's) for music and h/t. That does not mean I don't like the Ascend, I still have them and still use them in another setup. But when wanting to listen to music, the RC is far superior, and h/t is also better as the speakers have far more depth to them.


I know from research (not first hand) the Sierra is a vast improvement over the original Ascends, but the RC-10's are a great speaker at their price point (oh, I'm talking on sale here for $500, retail to retail it's close to the Ascend, but the Sierras are never on sale) and even better when on sale.
post #2625 of 51489
I was a bit confused as well about the duty. Even at 6.5% its not a deal breaker. I don't know if this was a slip on his part or not? I do know that Sonicboom helps to bridge the gap for us Canucks, but there still a decent markup by them. I often check there web site and know the prices haven't changed to indicate a stronger Canadian dollar. As for the RC'10's I know you shared your thoughts with me(thanks again)and I really love them but everyones owns Energy Rc's now and I am kinda ANAL that way.
post #2626 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

but everyones owns Energy Rc's now and I am kinda ANAL that way.

Should I go and sell mine so you feel a little better?
post #2627 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I was a bit confused as well about the duty. Even at 6.5% its not a deal breaker. I don't know if this was a slip on his part or not? I do know that Sonicboom helps to bridge the gap for us Canucks, but there still a decent markup by them. I often check there web site and know the prices haven't changed to indicate a stronger Canadian dollar. As for the RC'10's I know you shared your thoughts with me(thanks again)and I really love them but everyones owns Energy Rc's now and I am kinda ANAL that way.

LOL - hear ya there Billy! It's nice to own something that is 'unique', no matter what it is, that's for sure. If I were in the market for a bookshelf speaker and my budget was $500 - $1000, the Sierra's would most definitely be at the top of the list for the I.D. brands, and in fact would probably be the only I.D. brand on that list. If you do end up getting them - please let me know your impressions of them!
post #2628 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I am hoping to audition the D5's? I have tired to locate a dealer via the search engine provided by Signal Path but no luck. I was told by another member to drop them a Email for further assistance. I would love to own the v2.2's but they cost more here than in the States. That is why I am now considering the ERA's or Ascend Sierras.

I saw a set used at canuckaudiomart that was a smoking deal. If that is wait you want, I'd go used. Even if not available instantly they come up over time.

kw........
post #2629 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

I saw a set used at canuckaudiomart that was a smoking deal. If that is wait you want, I'd go used. Even if not available instantly they come up over time.

kw........

I didn't even know we had that site. My budget is about $1500.00 for the entire front soundstage and I am not considering floors.
post #2630 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I am hoping to audition the D5's? I have tired to locate a dealer via the search engine provided by Signal Path but no luck. I was told by another member to drop them a Email for further assistance. I would love to own the v2.2's but they cost more here than in the States. That is why I am now considering the ERA's or Ascend Sierras.

Era's are available in Canada.... contact the distributor http://www.konnectson.com/ for the nearest dealer in Toronto. It's a very small speaker, but it puts out a really full sound for its size.
post #2631 of 51489
Hello,

I need help in knowing which receiver to get. My current speaker system is the following:

2 RC-70's for the FL and FR
2 RC-10's
2 RC-R's
1 RCLR for the main center
1 HSU Sub

I think I might go with the Denon 3808 or Onkyo TXsr875. I have a 65 toshiba dlp hm167 and I heard the Onkyo has problems overheating and with hdmi connections. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
post #2632 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg653t View Post

Hello,

I need help in knowing which receiver to get. My current speaker system is the following:

2 RC-70's for the FL and FR
2 RC-10's
2 RC-R's
1 RCLR for the main center
1 HSU Sub

I think I might go with the Denon 3808 or Onkyo TXsr875. I have a 65 toshiba dlp hm167 and I heard the Onkyo has problems overheating and with hdmi connections. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I have RC-10.s and RCLR and subs with a Onkyo TX-905. No overheating and no hdmi problems. Using Monoprice hdmi 1.3 cables. I am VERY happy with the Onkyo. I have only seen one case here at AVS where someone's Onkyo overheated and he was really clipping hard to drive speakers all the time. I can play mine all day and it gets warm on top, but never hot.
post #2633 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg653t View Post

I need help in knowing which receiver to get. My current speaker system is the following:

2 RC-70's for the FL and FR
2 RC-10's
2 RC-R's
1 RCLR for the main center
1 HSU Sub

I think I might go with the Denon 3808 or Onkyo TXsr875

I would prefer the denon AVR-3808CI
post #2634 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg653t View Post

Hello,

I need help in knowing which receiver to get. My current speaker system is the following:

2 RC-70's for the FL and FR
2 RC-10's
2 RC-R's
1 RCLR for the main center
1 HSU Sub

I think I might go with the Denon 3808 or Onkyo TXsr875. I have a 65 toshiba dlp hm167 and I heard the Onkyo has problems overheating and with hdmi connections. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Interesting, I'm looking for a receiver too. I've scratched the Onkyo off my list for now, as I've heard some interesting things about it. Nothing specific, just one particular mid/hi fi dealer here in town refuses to carry them anymore. He told me nothing specific, just got agitated and said too many problems to mention.

My choice for an Onyko though would be the 875. Still may get it at next years boxing day sale when they are selling it half price (I hope), but not now.

The other two I'm looking at is Denon and Yamaha. I'm thinking more the 1800 or 2808 series as opposed to the higher end, as you only get a bit more wattage and network capibility, but pay a huge premium for it (though would get the 3808 or 3800 if on a great sale).

Which one is better, after all my research, the Onk is the best for video scaling by far from what I have gathered, the Denon is probably best sounding for music, and the Yamaha is probably in the middle of both for music and h/t. And I don't think the difference is night and day between any of them.

Decisions decisions. I hate to say it, but when it comes time to buy, it might very well boil down to price and asthetics, who knows.
post #2635 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Interesting, I'm looking for a receiver too. I've scratched the Onkyo off my list for now, as I've heard some interesting things about it. Nothing specific, just one particular mid/hi fi dealer here in town refuses to carry them anymore. He told me nothing specific, just got agitated and said too many problems to mention.

My choice for an Onyko though would be the 875. Still may get it at next years boxing day sale when they are selling it half price (I hope), but not now.

The other two I'm looking at is Denon and Yamaha. I'm thinking more the 1800 or 2808 series as opposed to the higher end, as you only get a bit more wattage and network capibility, but pay a huge premium for it (though would get the 3808 or 3800 if on a great sale).

Which one is better, after all my research, the Onk is the best for video scaling by far from what I have gathered, the Denon is probably best sounding for music, and the Yamaha is probably in the middle of both for music and h/t. And I don't think the difference is night and day between any of them.

Decisions decisions. I hate to say it, but when it comes time to buy, it might very well boil down to price and asthetics, who knows.

I was all set to buy the Onkyo 805 but the audio-sync and slow format switching killed that idea. I ended up buying the Pio Elite 92. I have no audio-sync issues and it switches audio formats incredibly fast. It supports the new TrueHD and HD MA formats but doesn't have the ethernet that the 94 has. I listened to the Denon and did not like the sound. Before you decide definitely do an A-B comparison because there is more of a difference between these receivers than you might think. I am very happy with my choice and this receiver will last me years.
post #2636 of 51489
FWIW, I have the Yamaha 3800 (and a 2700 in a second system).
Both are terrfific with my system:
RC-70 mains
RC-LCR center
Mirage Omnican 6 side and rear surrounds
Mirage S12 and S10 subs (stacked)
BTW, I also was never interested in the network capabilities, until I tried the internet radio. I used a pair of the now discontinued Logitech Play Link gizmos to connect the 3800 to my hard wired router. Works like a charm, and the sound quality through my system is VERY good.
post #2637 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

that's okay.

no worry, you can use the port plugs as well.

yeah, I'm using an S8.3 right now, it works great for my space. However I just ordered a new JL Audio Fathom F110, hope to get it in the next two weeks.

I direct bass to my fronts for music. I re-direct bass to my sub-woofer when watching movies and digital-cable broadcasts.

WestCoast, we jumped in today and ordered the Energys from AudioAdvisor. Final decision was RC30s for the fronts and RC10s for the surrounds, all in cherry. They came in at just over $1K delivered. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll be seeking for a good deal on nice sub next. We are really looking forward to the new sound. Thanks for the help in picking out this great combo.
post #2638 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by begreen View Post

we jumped in today and ordered the Energys from AudioAdvisor. Final decision was RC30s for the fronts and RC10s for the surrounds, all in cherry

great! you will be very happy. So what about center speaker?
post #2639 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

...
The other two I'm looking at is Denon and Yamaha. I'm thinking more the 1800 or 2808 series as opposed to the higher end, as you only get a bit more wattage and network capibility, but pay a huge premium for it (though would get the 3808 or 3800 if on a great sale).
...

The 3808 and 3800 are pretty similar in features and performance, but if you drop down to the lower model I think the Yamaha 1800 gives up less than the Denon 2808.

It's fair to call the 1800 a 3800 minus networking (any other differences are minor), but the 2808 also loses two HDMI inputs and it weighs a lot less than the 3808, which is a sign it loses something significant in the power section too.

I'm running the Yamaha 1800 with RC-10s, RC-LCR, and RC-Mini surrounds. I'm very pleased with it, the result is quite a warm sound and much less harsh at the top end than my previous Athena speakers with an older model Yamaha. I think the Energy speakers account for 3/4 of the improvement, but the new Yamaha helps too (the new models can't be called "bright" as used to be the case).
post #2640 of 51489
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The 3808 and 3800 are pretty similar in features and performance, but if you drop down to the lower model I think the Yamaha 1800 gives up less than the Denon 2808.

It's fair to call the 1800 a 3800 minus networking (any other differences are minor), but the 2808 also loses two HDMI inputs and it weighs a lot less than the 3808, which is a sign it loses something significant in the power section too.

I'm running the Yamaha 1800 with RC-10s, RC-LCR, and RC-Mini surrounds. I'm very pleased with it, the result is quite a warm sound and much less harsh at the top end than my previous Athena speakers with an older model Yamaha. I think the Energy speakers account for 3/4 of the improvement, but the new Yamaha helps too (the new models can't be called "bright" as used to be the case).

Thanks for the info - asthetically, the Yamaha is probably the worst, but sound quality and features is what counts. I have an older Yamaha analog receiver right now that is on the bright side for sure, but the Yamaha's I've heard (the 1800 though in another form -6190 which I belive is the same as the 1800) sounded very nice with some Veritas 2.4i's. Not that I got much of a chance to listen, a bunch of kids came in the room (teenagers), pulled up some boxes, and started playing cards if you can believe that. I wanted to just crank it right up when they did that, and would have too if I was able to get my BIA sacd in the blueray player. They had a cable on the player so I couldnt' eject the disc, and a salesperson was no where to be found. Too bad, it was on sale and I would have probably bought it - but all the circumstances involved told me to hold off.

I'm still shaking my head on that one though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread