or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 95

post #2821 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

Do I really need the RC LCR with the 10's? Or will the C-C100 be ok?

Once again, I would stay with one complete line or the other for your Front-Center-Right surround (L-C-R). Either use C-200 for fronts with C-C100 center, or go with (the better, more expensive) RC-10 fronts with RC-LCR center.

The RC-MiniCenter will match just fine with the RC-10's, however it will limit your overall crossover range to 100Hz (unless you have separate, discrete, crossover settings on your receiver/processor).

While the SVS and other brand subs (ie. Velodyne) are very good I would probably go with one of the new Energy ESW-V10 subs.

And, finally, you can use your Take-Classic satellite's as rears.
post #2822 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

Isn't the price on AA good enough for you yet? lol

Full price at $599
post #2823 of 51587
Haha actually I'm kind of jumping ahead of the gun...I won't have the budget for these speakers until like fall...but when the time comes around I'll probably be getting a rc-mini center, rc-minis, and the c-r100s...hopefully by then the price will have come down some...maybe enough so that I can afford the rc-lcr, or the rc series surrounds...Good luck twisted dave, and when you get your speakers please come back and give us your thoughts on them...

Oh btw in the above system (rc-minis, rc-mini center, and c-r100s) would replacing the center with the rc-lcr or replacing the surrounds with the rc-r be more beneficial and make a bigger difference?
post #2824 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAInMo9 View Post

Haha actually I'm kind of jumping ahead of the gun...I won't have the budget for these speakers until like fall...but when the time comes around I'll probably be getting a rc-mini center, rc-minis, and the c-r100s...hopefully by then the price will have come down some...maybe enough so that I can afford the rc-lcr, or the rc series surrounds...Good luck twisted dave, and when you get your speakers please come back and give us your thoughts on them...

Oh btw in the above system (rc-minis, rc-mini center, and c-r100s) would replacing the center with the rc-lcr or replacing the surrounds with the rc-r be more beneficial and make a bigger difference?

There is absolutely no point of getting the bigger speakers for your surrounds. What you want to do if you are on a budget is to wait and buy your stuff one piece at a time. Start with fronts, then go with the center channel, and finally the surrounds
post #2825 of 51587
I'll ask again cuz I don't think anyone saw my question:

Would you get a demo product from AudioAdvisor?

I called them and they said it was returned shipments from unsatisfied customers or so. Like the 30-day policy at FutureShop or BestBuy. The thing is that at those stores, I can see the actual condition of the item. I don't want to receive a fairly damaged unit.

Price difference: 50$ (350 vs 300)
RC-10 in Rosenut
post #2826 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

I'll ask again cuz I don't think anyone saw my question:

Would you get a demo product from AudioAdvisor?

I called them and they said it was returned shipments from unsatisfied customers or so. Like the 30-day policy at FutureShop or BestBuy. The thing is that at those stores, I can see the actual condition of the item. I don't want to receive a fairly damaged unit.

Price difference: 50$ (350 vs 300)
RC-10 in Rosenut


Mo - I don't know about AA, but I do know that other I.D. sellers recondition their 'b-stock' or at the very least disclose fully what condition the 'b-stock' item(s) is in. If there is a scratch, they tell you. But, it is only cosmetic, and it doesn't affect the sound. Besides, at $300, who cares? As long as it works, you're not going to get next to new RC-10's for $300 anywhere at this point and time. If you're on a budget and can't afford the F/S sales on them ($500) then I would jump all over it. I'm sure they'll sound just fine
post #2827 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

If there is a scratch, they tell you.

No they don't. Speakers are in boxes and waiting to be shipped. They inspected them closely before reboxing them. They work and there might me some cosmetic blemishes. That's what Joe told me. It's like gambling and I hate casinos. I don't mind paying less and KNOWING what the item looks like. It doesn't seem so but I'm on a budget lol. Every penny worth saving I'm gonna get it. So I guess I'll give a shot at the casino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

But, it is only cosmetic, and it doesn't affect the sound. Besides, at $300, who cares? As long as it works, you're not going to get next to new RC-10's for $300 anywhere at this point and time. If you're on a budget and can't afford the F/S sales on them ($500) then I would jump all over it. I'm sure they'll sound just fine

The speakers have been tested and are 100% working. And you are right... they sound very good even with a scratch on them. But for me audio equipment is not all about sound. Esthetics play a big role here. You should've seen me unpack my RC-70 like I had white gloves on.
But like you said... at 400$ shipped, that's heck of a deal. Can't skip it.
post #2828 of 51587
Just ordered a SVS PB10-ISD to go with my Energy RC-10 fronts and RC mini centre. I know when listening to movies/TV in 5.1 using the mini centre crossover must be set to 100

BUT, when listening to music with the RC-10 fronts and sub only (thus, no sound into the RC mini centre) I can adjust the crossover down to 80 even 60, then switch back to 100 later.

Correct?
post #2829 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Just ordered a SVS PB10-ISD to go with my Energy RC-10 fronts and RC mini centre. I know when listening to movies/TV in 5.1 using the mini centre crossover must be set to 100

BUT, when listening to music with the RC-10 fronts and sub only (thus, no sound into the RC mini centre) I can adjust the crossover down to 80 even 60, then switch back to 100 later.

Correct?

Why bother! I would leave it at 100hz and let the sub do the rest. The pb10 is very capable and IMO the switching back and forth would be a real PITA.
post #2830 of 51587
I was just wondering if I'd getter better response from my RC-10's if they were set to 80 for music
post #2831 of 51587
Would any of the new center speakers (such as the C-C50) be an ok match for the older C-3s?
post #2832 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

I was just wondering if I'd getter better response from my RC-10's if they were set to 80 for music

Why don't you try them out with the sub. In my personal experience I didn't notice much if any audible difference between 80-100 especially for music.
post #2833 of 51587
Hey Sawjai I have the C-8's and the AC-300 and they sound great. I tried the AC-300 with the ex's C-7's and prefered the sound with the C-8's. I started with an Onkyo reciever and was offered an awesome deal on a HK 635. Wow a noticable difference....I love the TI auto calibration. I have since upgraded again and acquired a rotel amp ad am bi-amping the L & R C-8's. Talk about the best these babies have ever sung......they sound better than the demo rooms by a substantial margin. I can't imagine the the C-3's would reap any less benefit from the bi-amping if you can. Well JMHO hope it helps.
post #2834 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

The RC mini is not as good as the RC LCR, which is a truly outstanding centre

But, the RC mini centre will match the RC 10's. I have RC 10's as fronts along with the RC mini centre. I just couldn't bring myself to layout $500-600 or more for the RC LCR

Hi Sadchel,

Now that you've been living with your setup for a month or two, could you comment on your experience with the RC-mini center + RC-10's?

I'd rather not have a large center, and as I mentioned before, I briefly tried the Take 5.2 center with the AC-300's as L/R and I hated it, it sounded WAY better with the AC-300's alone and a "phantom" center. Toggling back and forth, it was very obvious with voices especially how much "fullness" I was missing when the tiny center tried to carry the load vs. the much more full-range AC-300's.

And for music.... fuhgetaboutit. I would toggle back and forth between 5-channel-stereo mode, Pro Logic 2 music mode, and just straight Stereo and it sounded SIGNIFICANTLY better in 2-channel mode every time.

How is your experience with this? Have you toggled back and forth between Stereo and Surround modes to see if it sounded better with the RC-10's handling everything (i.e. phantom center) vs. the RC-mini doing center speaker duties?

Do you ever feel like you're "missing something" with the center overpowered by the mains?

As I toy with the idea of jumping on the awesome audioadvisor deal on the RC-10's, I'm now pondering center speaker possibilities (since the RC-LCR is waaaaaaaay out of budget).

I will probably wait for a bit, however, as I just snagged a Denon AVR 3803 for a STEAL of a deal off my local craigslist so my next project is seeing how much more life a 38xx series Denon breathes into those AC-300's (vs. my current 2105).
post #2835 of 51587
Boy that is a lot to digest. First, I am happy with my setup so far. However, I did blow a driver on 1 RC-10 already!!!!!! Had it repaired with a new woofer, all is good now, sound is fantastic.

As for music, at first listening was done with 2 channel enhancer, but I've settled on Pure Direct. However, with a sub coming, I'm gonna have change to straight or stereo to get the sub involved.

I have been listening to BEATLES Love cd in 5.1, and it sounds great even without surrounds. Though it does feel weird to hear vocals coming from the centre speaker.

The only downside to me is the RC mini centre does, at times, sound a little thin to me.

I too wanted the RC-LCR but like you said, it's expensive!!!!!!
post #2836 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

I have been listening to BEATLES Love cd in 5.1, and it sounds great even without surrounds. Though it does feel weird to hear vocals coming from the centre speaker.

The only downside to me is the RC mini centre does, at times, sound a little thin to me.


Do you ever toggle back/forth between just using the RC-10's and using all three (RC-10's + RC-mini center) for music like that Beatles album? I'm curious if the RC-10's are "overpowering" the RC-mini, in which case it would sound better with just the two RC-10's running in stereo.
post #2837 of 51587
Wow how did you blow a driver sadchel???
post #2838 of 51587
Hey does the Monitor Audio Bronze series (price and performance) compare to the Energy RC series or Energy C series?
post #2839 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the RC-LCR is waaaaaaaay out of budget

the RC-LCR is definitely one of the best center speakers out there- period. It is a true 3-way design. Mid-range performance is exceptionally nice and "pronounced", combined with good hi-end and mid-bass. Works very well for movie dialog, as well as music. One of the reasons it is so much more expensive, than the other simliar RC-Series models (ie. RC-10's, RC-30's), is due to the fact that it employs an additional separate mid-range module. As opposed to dividing the mid-range/mid-bass duties into a single woofer driver (as with the RC-10's, RC-30's, RC-50's, RC-70's). So, if you can fit [the cost] of the RC-LCR into your system it will be worth it.
post #2840 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Do you ever toggle back/forth between just using the RC-10's and using all three (RC-10's + RC-mini center) for music like that Beatles album? I'm curious if the RC-10's are "overpowering" the RC-mini, in which case it would sound better with just the two RC-10's running in stereo.

Toggle, a little but not much. After doing that for a while you kinda lose perspective

I would say they very slightly overpower the centre, but then maybe I'm not used to hearing a 5.1 mix with vocals in the centre
post #2841 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAInMo9 View Post

Wow how did you blow a driver sadchel???

I watched the latest David Lynch film "Inland Empire", btw it was craptactular and I guess I had my volume set previously too high (around -15) and at the very start of the film there was a loud sound and my left speaker went crazy with distortion and rattling. After that, all low bass produced the same effect. Maybe it was my fault or maybe the woofer was ready to go??????????

Repaired and all good now
post #2842 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

I'll ask again cuz I don't think anyone saw my question:

Would you get a demo product from AudioAdvisor?

I called them and they said it was returned shipments from unsatisfied customers or so. Like the 30-day policy at FutureShop or BestBuy. The thing is that at those stores, I can see the actual condition of the item. I don't want to receive a fairly damaged unit.

Price difference: 50$ (350 vs 300)
RC-10 in Rosenut

I ordered two pairs of demo RC-10s from AA. One pair cherry, one pair black ash. All 4 speakers were in perfect condition. Absolutely no marks, scratches, etc. Both pairs were also carefully re-packaged in thier original materials. Whoever tried these before me (and odds are that it was two different whoevers) took very good care to protect and re-package them.

BTW, theey sound very nice with sub high pass set to 80hz...
post #2843 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Do you ever toggle back/forth between just using the RC-10's and using all three (RC-10's + RC-mini center) for music like that Beatles album? I'm curious if the RC-10's are "overpowering" the RC-mini

For fun I would experiment, using the 5.1 mix (not the CD version), comparing a 2.1 configuration to a 3.1 configuration (assuming you're using a sub).

Set your receiver/processor settings to use front's only (no center, or rears). Set front's = SMALL. Set LFE = subwoofer. See how it sounds with 5.1 audio (SACD or DVD-A). Notice how voices sound.

Then set your receiver/processor settings to use front's and center only (no rears). Set front's and center = SMALL. Set LFE = subwoofer. See how it sounds with 5.1 audio (SACD or DVD-A). Now see how voices sound.

I'd be very interested in your results............
post #2844 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

For fun I would experiment, using the 5.1 mix (not the CD version), comparing a 2.1 configuration to a 3.1 configuration (assuming you're using a sub).

Set your receiver/processor settings to use front's only (no center, or rears). Set front's = SMALL. Set LFE = subwoofer. See how it sounds with 5.1 audio (SACD or DVD-A). Notice how voices sound.

Then set your receiver/processor settings to use front's and center only (no rears). Set front's and center = SMALL. Set LFE = subwoofer. See how it sounds with 5.1 audio (SACD or DVD-A). Now see how voices sound.

I'd be very interested in your results............

I should be getting my new sub in day or 2, then I can do some more testing
post #2845 of 51587
So, it sounds like the demo RC-10's are a pretty reliable buy? I'm very happy to hear that. Those deals are always pretty sketchy, but it sounds like audioadvisor has a good deal going there.
post #2846 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouettus View Post

No they don't. Speakers are in boxes and waiting to be shipped. They inspected them closely before reboxing them. They work and there might me some cosmetic blemishes. That's what Joe told me. It's like gambling and I hate casinos. I don't mind paying less and KNOWING what the item looks like. It doesn't seem so but I'm on a budget lol. Every penny worth saving I'm gonna get it. So I guess I'll give a shot at the casino



The speakers have been tested and are 100% working. And you are right... they sound very good even with a scratch on them. But for me audio equipment is not all about sound. Esthetics play a big role here. You should've seen me unpack my RC-70 like I had white gloves on.
But like you said... at 400$ shipped, that's heck of a deal. Can't skip it.

White Gloves LOL - good for you!!!!! I certainly don't blame you there. I almost did the same thing but was worried I may lose my grip (and cause damage.

I also understand your take on asthetics - if you remember, one of my original RC-70's had a crushed corner (back right). No one noticed it until I pointed it out, but that didn't matter. I noticed it, and that's all that mattered to me. Since it was F/S - I wanted a new unblemished speaker (even if offered a further discount, I would have refused it, I want it perfect in sound and cosmetically).

I didn't mean 'not able to afford' in terms of being poor. That was 'poorly' written. The fact that you can save money is of course a huge thing, and I don't blame you. Even if the difference was only $20, that $20 is better in your pocket than someone elses!!!

It's a bit of a gamble for sure. But, the only thing I'd be wary about is duties. As weird as it may sound (Energy being Canadian and all), with the speakers made in China - there is a chance they (customs) could tack on duties as well as brokerage fee's, and all of a sudden you are paying $500 (or thereabouts) rather than $400. I'm not saying you will - you just never know. Have you checked with AA or their shipping company yet to make sure you won't get those 'surprise' charges?

@ $400 to your door, that's too sweet of a deal to pass up
post #2847 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Just ordered a SVS PB10-ISD to go with my Energy RC-10 fronts and RC mini centre. I know when listening to movies/TV in 5.1 using the mini centre crossover must be set to 100

BUT, when listening to music with the RC-10 fronts and sub only (thus, no sound into the RC mini centre) I can adjust the crossover down to 80 even 60, then switch back to 100 later.

Correct?

That should sound great. I have a SVS PB13- Ultra mated with my RC-70's and RC-LCR (don't ya just hate guys with more money than they know what to do with ).

I have the 70's crossed over at 60 hz, I run the LCR crossed over at 60hz for movies, 80 hz for music, and the RC-10's in my system are crossed over @ 80 hz.

It is extremely simple for me to change my crossover. I have an Outlaw ICBM that I use for multichannel music. I just put in a DVD-Audio or SACD, and simply turn a dial 40 to 60 to 80 to 100 and back. There is an audible difference with each one, and I find my settings work best in my room (room also will play a big part).

If I want to impress someone with nice bass, I put on my Gaucho DVD-Audio disc, and put my h/k up to -20, sit back and grin as my guest's mouth drops with the punch and the clarity of the bass (along with everything else). Then, I put in my Master recording SACD Patricia Barber discs to give them a special stereo treat. Those looks are something to behold.

I would not run your RC-10's at 60. I do think 80 would be better for music as it will make the RC-10's sound slighty fuller in sound. But 60 will hurt the overall performance of it (for music). 80 would be fine for movies as well for the RC-10's. Bass above 50hz becomes very directional, and I prefer my sub to be unlocalizable (though my room restricts this somehwhat) and crossing my speakers ove rtoo high can bring too much attention to the sub. Though truth be known, the PB13 is so sweet sounding (for a sub that is ) that it's not an issue, I just prefer to have it that way.
post #2848 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

I put in my Master recording SACD Patricia Barber discs to give them a special stereo treat. Those looks are something to behold

Patricia Barber's looks?
post #2849 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

It's a bit of a gamble for sure. But, the only thing I'd be wary about is duties. As weird as it may sound (Energy being Canadian and all), with the speakers made in China - there is a chance they (customs) could tack on duties as well as brokerage fee's, and all of a sudden you are paying $500 (or thereabouts) rather than $400. I'm not saying you will - you just never know. Have you checked with AA or their shipping company yet to make sure you won't get those 'surprise' charges?

I ordered some speakers from AudioAdvisor (NHT's in this case), and they shipped them to me via Fedex. I paid taxes and also 6.5% duties because they were made in China. The shipping was $90 for two boxes. In this case, the Energys RC10's will likely be over $500CAD after all is said and done. Not a big savings over the Canadian sale prices.
post #2850 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Patricia Barber's looks?


LOL - good one

You know what I mean..... thankfully I don't have it on a DVD video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread