or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1066

post #31951 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Also, I know the recommended setup is the center to lie flat and the left and right to sit upright

as others have pointed out, this is actually not true. It is not "recommended" that centers be horizontal for performance reasons, it only happens because that's the only way to get a speaker under/over a TV screen!!

in an ideal world, you'd have identical speakers identically oriented for all channels. The RC-LCR (like pretty much any speaker) actually performs better vertically, but like others have said these "rules" are just recommendations and you do the best you can given your constraints (wife included ).

thankfully LCR type speakers are designed to operate either horizontally or vertically, with wide dispersion in either axis, so it should still sound great with three horizontal RC-LCR's across the front.

all plugging the ports does is cut off the lowest octave or so of bass output, and also reduces the speaker sensitivity slightly since it isn't "reinforced" by the port. But the sound will still be sweet and clean. Instead of reaching down to 50Hz, the RC-LCR will probably get to 80-90Hz with ports plugged, still plenty good enough if you have a subwoofer to fill in the bottom.
post #31952 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

Funny ever since the recent discussion on the old Veritas I am checking Kijji regularly looking for a pair even though I don't have anywhere to put them. Even considered picking up some 22s to see what they are like.

My 22 Pro Monitors are great, but if I had your Veritas, I probably wouldn't bother, unless you found the old RC 22's for cheap. I will say that the 22 Pro Monitors will smoke some of Energy's new offerings, but in your case, I wouldn't spend the cash unless they are fully functional and super cheap.
post #31953 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post


I can't get them at ear level, but I can always angle them up if needed.

The thing is, my wife hates speakers. She likes music, but not big speakers sitting on the ground. About 10 years ago, I bought some Magnepans that are like 6' tall and 3' wide. It was the final straw. Ever since then, she critiques every speaker I buy to death. Not for sound, but for how big they are. It's in everyone's best interest if I install shelves and get them up off the ground.

I really wish lumber yards carried shelving over 12" wide. Solid wood shelving, not particle board or plywood.

I won't be buying for a few weeks. I hope the RC-LCR's don't sell out.

I can understand her getting mad about a pair of 6x3 ugly Magnepans but the RC LCR is a piece of art. It is very appealing to the eyes.
post #31954 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I can understand her getting mad about a pair of 6x3 ugly Magnepans but the RC LCR is a piece of art. It is very appealing to the eyes.

Yeah the RC-LCR looks tons better in person than in the manufacturer pictures, etc.
post #31955 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I can understand her getting mad about a pair of 6x3 ugly Magnepans but the RC LCR is a piece of art. It is very appealing to the eyes.

I actually think that the Magnepans are more like art pieces. I love the looks of them compared to conventional normal boxed speakers. I would prefer them for looks any time.
post #31956 of 51472
he ain't talkin' about what YOU like, he's talkin' about what a WIFE would like

I also think having a pair of giant Maggies would be pretty studly, but no doubt my wife would divorce me if I showed up with a pair of 3ft wide / 6ft tall speakers
post #31957 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

he ain't talkin' about what YOU like, he's talkin' about what a WIFE would like

I also think having a pair of giant Maggies would be pretty studly, but no doubt my wife would divorce me if I showed up with a pair of 3ft wide / 6ft tall speakers

I have a very understanding girlfriend that agrees that functionality trumps looks when I give my recommendation about sound and machines. (I do have six tower speakers in the living room). But she also likes the way Magnepans look, I am admittedly lucky in a few ways.
post #31958 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateFg2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

The RC-10, RC-R and in ceiling models are the only RC's I haven't heard yet. If you get some, make sure you don't accidentally shoot them

Haha I won't.

You're forgetting that the RCs come with Kevlar woofers. What's the point if they can't take having a few rounds put in 'em?
post #31959 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc^2 View Post

You're forgetting that the RCs come with Kevlar woofers. What's the point if they can't take having a few rounds put in 'em?

LOL I was worried he might hit the tweeter or cabinet!
post #31960 of 51472
So nobody saw my post on the 'new' Energy EF-500?

We saw them on futureshop advertised, but now Energy is announcing them as an all new speaker on their own website:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...f-500-overview


Thing that makes this funny is if you search Energy EF-500, you'll get sent to a page of the EF-500 fireplace sold by a store with Energy in their name Serves Energy right!
post #31961 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

So nobody saw my post on the 'new' Energy EF-500?

We saw them on futureshop advertised, but now Energy is announcing them as an all new speaker on their own website:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...f-500-overview


Thing that makes this funny is if you search Energy EF-500, you'll get sent to a page of the EF-500 fireplace sold by a store with Energy in their name Serves Energy right!

I do remember CalgaryCowboy and a few others posting about those speakers since they first
received their undeserved Energy badges.

I'm glad fireplaces show up first, maybe those speakers will come in handy on a cold winter day.
post #31962 of 51472
Hank, I still haven't watched a movie in my bedroom on the e:XL set. Any suggestions?
post #31963 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

So nobody saw my post on the 'new' Energy EF-500?

We saw them on futureshop advertised, but now Energy is announcing them as an all new speaker on their own website:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...f-500-overview


Thing that makes this funny is if you search Energy EF-500, you'll get sent to a page of the EF-500 fireplace sold by a store with Energy in their name Serves Energy right!

Wrong! It serves Audiovox right! I am fairly certain Energy has no say in this....
post #31964 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Wrong! It serves Audiovox right! I am fairly certain Energy has no say in this....

Okay, but when a kid does something stupid do we blame the parents? When I say Energy I mean the company, but if the parents "didn't teach their kids right" then I guess I'm talking about them too haha
post #31965 of 51472
Hey guys, I am having a party tomorrow night and I want to show my Energy set up off. I don't have my surrounds hooked up yet but I have my CF-70's and a CC-10 up front with two X-Ref 12's handling the lower end. I went and bought Transformers today (the first one) since I've never seen any of them. I want to show my system off, especially to my father in law who thinks Bose are the best speakers in the world. What are some good scenes with good right to left panning across the front sound stage and also what seems have the deepest bass.

Thanks guys.
post #31966 of 51472
I'm wanting to get the CF-70s, but I can only find them for $640 for the pair(including tax) at newegg so I'm not so sure I want to pull the trigger on them anymore.

If only I would have known about the vanns sale with the stacked coupon codes where I could have gotten them for less than half that. Someone please shoot me in the face
post #31967 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Hey guys, I am having a party tomorrow night and I want to show my Energy set up off. I don't have my surrounds hooked up yet but I have my CF-70's and a CC-10 up front with two X-Ref 12's handling the lower end. I went and bought Transformers today (the first one) since I've never seen any of them. I want to show my system off, especially to my father in law who thinks Bose are the best speakers in the world. What are some good scenes with good right to left panning across the front sound stage and also what seems have the deepest bass.

Thanks guys.

There's a bunch of them in that movie. I can't remember the exact times, but when the first decepticon reveals himself, when the autobots land, the scorpion in the desert, and of course the battle at the end. I can remember those off the top of my head. 2 x-ref12's and the energies should change his mind quick. Have fun.
post #31968 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenicus View Post

I'm wanting to get the CF-70s, but I can only find them for $640 for the pair(including tax) at newegg so I'm not so sure I want to pull the trigger on them anymore.

If only I would have known about the vanns sale with the stacked coupon codes where I could have gotten them for less than half that. Someone please shoot me in the face

Man, you will never see the CF-70's for $500 a pair ever again. It was a Energy promotion that was supposed to last until October 31st but they're sold out. I jumped on the early and after listening to them for the past month, in my opinion they really are worth $400-$500 a piece so get them while you can for the lower prices. At $250 a piece there is absolutely no tower I know of that can hang with them in that price range. They are way over qualified for that price
post #31969 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Man, you will never see the CF-70's for $500 a pair ever again. It was a Energy promotion that was supposed to last until October 31st but they're sold out.

It'll get down to $500 again. It's had that sale more often than not in the past 4 months or so. I expect another sale having them at that price in the next month or so.


Oh, and ObsceneJesster, one of the coolest goosebump-raising ways to show off a theater system is with the intros to movies. If you show the very beginning where the Paramount stars fly around (they fly behind the audience) and then when Optimus Prime starts talking, his voice is really low, adding a cool effect. The scene where the police car transformer is chasing the camaro transformer is pretty sweet. (forgive my basic writing, I'm trying to write it for you considering you haven't seen it haha)

If you can, get the THIRD one. With all of the chaos going on in the third one, it's excellent for soundstage and especially bass. All of them have great sound, but the third one has the most going on overall.
post #31970 of 51472
Got my first two acoustic panels down and a couple more to go. How do they look? Also I got these pretty cool LD bulbs that use a remote. You can turn them on and off, dim them and change colors. Picked them up at Lowes and made my acoustic panels. They are 24x24x2 made with Rock Wool.





post #31971 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post


It'll get down to $500 again. It's had that sale more often than not in the past 4 months or so. I expect another sale having them at that price in the next month or so.

Oh, and ObsceneJesster, one of the coolest goosebump-raising ways to show off a theater system is with the intros to movies. If you show the very beginning where the Paramount stars fly around (they fly behind the audience) and then when Optimus Prime starts talking, his voice is really low, adding a cool effect. The scene where the police car transformer is chasing the camaro transformer is pretty sweet. (forgive my basic writing, I'm trying to write it for you considering you haven't seen it haha)

If you can, get the THIRD one. With all of the chaos going on in the third one, it's excellent for soundstage and especially bass. All of them have great sound, but the third one has the most going on overall.

Damn, that would be cool if they did that sale again. My RC-10's come in on Monday and I just got the CB-10's for my surrounds today. Im still waiting on their mounts though. I decided im going to send the Samus adjustable stands back to Vanns and use the Pinpoint AM40 to mount them on the walls. Tge mount only tilts down slightly at 7 degrees but I think it will be enough considering they are going to be mounted 3 feet above ear livel and about 9 feet from the center listening position. Ever since starting this hobby. I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

Next purchase, a house out in the country with a dedicated sound proof Home Thater. Years away though considering we just moved 5 months ago.
post #31972 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

What are some good scenes with good right to left panning across the front sound stage and also what seems have the deepest bass.

ummm, that's pretty much the whole movie. It basically alternates between that, closeup shots of Megan Fox glistening, and cheezy dialogue. So, basically, fast forward and if you don't see anyone talking or Megan Fox glistening, you are good to go.
post #31973 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Damn, that would be cool if they did that sale again.

It'll happen. It always happens after a bunch of people on here make huge purchases of speakers at full price So once people start posting on here saying they bought 4 CF-70s for $2000, then you know the sale is coming up haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

ummm, that's pretty much the whole movie. It basically alternates between that, closeup shots of Megan Fox glistening, and cheezy dialogue. So, basically, fast forward and if you don't see anyone talking or Megan Fox glistening, you are good to go.

Seriously!!! That's why I said the third one was good. More action and way less emphasis on girls. If we wanted to see girls we'd buy something else. We want to see (and HEAR) giant robots shooting, wrestling, and sword fighting!
post #31974 of 51472
Your setup looks fantastic ObsceneJesster, and very clean. It'd be awesome if there was a way to camouflage that power socket below your center channel.
post #31975 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

It'll happen. It always happens after a bunch of people on here make huge purchases of speakers at full price So once people start posting on here saying they bought 4 CF-70s for $2000, then you know the sale is coming up haha

I agree with Macstatic, it will happen again. I would just wait a bit (which kind of sucks) but the sales will happen again for sure. I got my CF-70s at $179 earlier last year. A few months later, they were back at $179-$199 at different stores but mostly Vanns. Whoever is looking for the newer C series speakers, just be patient, they will show up cheap again soon. They always do.
post #31976 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Hey guys, I am having a party tomorrow night and I want to show my Energy set up off. I don't have my surrounds hooked up yet but I have my CF-70's and a CC-10 up front with two X-Ref 12's handling the lower end. I went and bought Transformers today (the first one) since I've never seen any of them. I want to show my system off, especially to my father in law who thinks Bose are the best speakers in the world. What are some good scenes with good right to left panning across the front sound stage and also what seems have the deepest bass.

Thanks guys.

It's funny, I think you really would have to have already watched the movie to know exactly what you like.

I would think about a movie with some good music in it as well as some interesting over the top scenes.

I watched a movie tonight, Cloverfield. It was the first time I have watched it. Of the movies I have seen since doing the home theater thing, I think this movie has the most bass in it. They even just put a stupid amount of bass right in the opening frame with just a plain black screen, which I immediately rewinded and watched again.

One scene I like is in the movie Knowing (or maybe it's The Knowing). Well it's the plane crash scene, without giving to much away (I hope). Lots of explosions and right to left, and left to right flying objects. I swear one object just goes right through ya. It's a pretty cool scene (kind of an odd movie though).

Transformers 3, in it's opening scene has a pretty cool sound check as it puts a machine sound through every speaker, basically one by one. It's basically the first frame I believe.

Everyone raves about the Kung Fu Panda movie, but I have never seen it.

I thought Inception had a really strong audio side to it. Just the whole movie really. Pick a scene. Opening with the waves crashing works.

The Matrix movies were pretty good I thought.

For music, if you can get of a hold of Bass Mekanik "Bass I Love You", that song is a must for subwoofer demoing. Subs go crazy on that stuff. Obviously this is not a sub thread, but I think it is definitely worth mentioning.

Just regular stuff too. The other night I found myself cranking the volume while watching baseball. It was just kind of special when the ball was hitting the catchers mitt. And the crowd and all at Yankee stadium. It's like you can hear individual conversations almost. You certainly hear all kinds of things going on, especially when it's kind of a low key moment and the crowd is just kind of relaxed. Dolby Digital is pretty nice from the high definition tv channels.

(Hopefully your father in law doesn't think your a moron for having such a nice system.)
post #31977 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Got my first two acoustic panels down and a couple more to go. How do they look? Also I got these pretty cool LD bulbs that use a remote. You can turn them on and off, dim them and change colors. Picked them up at Lowes and made my acoustic panels. They are 24x24x2 made with Rock Wool.






Set up looks great! It makes me very jealous that I don't have a dedicated HT room haha.
post #31978 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by aassad1 View Post


Set up looks great! It makes me very jealous that I don't have a dedicated HT room haha.

My wife would tell you our basement isn't a dedicated Home Theater but I tell her otherwise. I think I have won that argument though. I just ask her a couple simple questions.

1. Do you go down to the basement to take a nap?
2. Do you go down to the basement to read a book?
3 Do you go down to the basement to sit in silence and think?

And then I say....NO OF COURSE YOU DONT! YOU GO DOWN THERE FOR ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY. TO WATCH MOVIES/TV AND LISTEN TO MUSIC.

After I put it into perspective like that, she usually gives up and agrees.
post #31979 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Your setup looks fantastic ObsceneJesster, and very clean. It'd be awesome if there was a way to camouflage that power socket below your center channel.

Funny you say that. It never gets used so im going to pull it out, apply a dry wall patch and paint it.
post #31980 of 51472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Funny you say that. It never gets used so im going to pull it out, apply a dry wall patch and paint it.

Watch, the moment you do that, you go downstairs to vacuum the room and realize that was the optimal place to plug in your vacuum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread