or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1162

post #34831 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpickle View Post

I'm in a similar situation as quikky, as far as speaker selection. I was looking to put together a CB5/CC5 5.0 setup, and add a sub. Would you suggest that I go with the RC Micro 5.0, instead? I was thinking the larger drivers on the Connoisseur series would provide better overall sound quality than the RC Micros. But maybe the quality of the RC Micros is more important than the size of the Connoisseurs? I'd appreciate some guidance from the experts here.

It really depends on the sound that you prefer. I personally like the RC sound and prefer quality, but the best way for you to decide is to listen to both. Is there any way you could manage to get the RC-10's? You would be much further ahead if you could.
post #34832 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post

FYI, got an email from Vanns this morning, the Veritas sub (VSW10) is marked down to $350.

Is that a new low price? I need to do some research and see how good this sub is.

how does this 10 compare to the S10.3?
post #34833 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Yeah, refurbished is fine by me. Used might be too, but that might be hard to find.

As far as wires, what is considered a "quality" wire. I'm a newbie so the obvious might not be obvious to me. Do I want a certain type/gauge/brand for this particular setup? Does it matter much?

As for speaker wire, here is your answer: www.monoprice.com

14 ga. will be more than adequate, 16 ga. should be adequate. Check out the table in this link for recommended gauges for different length runs.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm


So for your speaker selections, it seems like its been narrowed down to RC-10's/s10.3 or RC micros/s10.3.

From here its really your decision depending on what you want for the near future. The micros will give you a complete 5.1 set up now that can be upgraded piece by piece in the future. Having a complete set will probably give you a better home theater experience because sounds will be coming from all around you, however the fullness of the sound be a thinner compared to the RC-10s. The RC-10's are a bigger, fuller, better quality speaker that will produce better sound than the micros, however it will only be coming from 2 locations (FR and FL). That could be upgraded piece by piece also, but it would be more adding new speakers. I would start with a center channel, then add 2 surrounds later on.

I wish I could help you make the decision, but its really your personal preference on what you are looking for right now.
post #34834 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Yeah, refurbished is fine by me. Used might be too, but that might be hard to find.

As far as wires, what is considered a "quality" wire. I'm a newbie so the obvious might not be obvious to me. Do I want a certain type/gauge/brand for this particular setup? Does it matter much?

No, it won't really matter much.
I buy my 12 gauge speaker wire by the 250 foot roll for about $60 or so off of ebay. I believe Boss is the manufacturer.
You should be fine with 14 or 16 gauge, I use 12 gauge only because I want to. If you buy from MonoPrice or Blue Jeans Cable, you shouldn't have a problem. I have never really noticed a sound difference from different sub cables. I have used Monster, Rocketfish, Radio Shack and they all produce the same results from what I can tell. I have never tried out $2000 cables, but I probably never will unless someone is selling some used for cheap

This receiver looks like it might do the trick for you.
http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Au...duct_info.html
post #34835 of 51590
Wow, anyone interested in a higher end receiver, that doesn't mind refurbished, should consider the huge savings on the top end models.
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...log=DenonNA_US
post #34836 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post


It really depends on the sound that you prefer. I personally like the RC sound and prefer quality, but the best way for you to decide is to listen to both. Is there any way you could manage to get the RC-10's? You would be much further ahead if you could.

I would love to get the RC-10s, but it's a WAF issue. They won't fit in our entertainment center (less than 11" vertical clearance), and I haven't been able to convince her on stands or towers on either side of the unit. Until I can convince her of this, my options are limited.
post #34837 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpickle View Post

I would love to get the RC-10s, but it's a WAF issue. They won't fit in our entertainment center (less than 11" vertical clearance), and I haven't been able to convince her on stands or towers on either side of the unit. Until I can convince her of this, my options are limited.

Just so you know, the RC-10s do great on their sides too (and actually don't look half bad that way either). My wife LOVES the look of the RC-10 compared to other speakers.
post #34838 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpickle View Post


I would love to get the RC-10s, but it's a WAF issue. They won't fit in our entertainment center (less than 11" vertical clearance), and I haven't been able to convince her on stands or towers on either side of the unit. Until I can convince her of this, my options are limited.

Show her the rosenut finishes. Whalaa!
post #34839 of 51590
With all the recent discussions on the V6.3's and the RC-70 bundle, I am questioning if I should keep on waiting for some V1.8's to pop up on the used market. I think I read from one person that the V1.8 is still way better than the V6.3. Is that correct? Does anyone know how the slightly less old V2.3's compare to the V6.3's? Thanks.
post #34840 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

Wow, anyone interested in a higher end receiver, that doesn't mind refurbished, should consider the huge savings on the top end models.
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...log=DenonNA_US

Aside from the 3310, Accessories 4 Less has much better pricing on Denon refurbs and they throw in a iPod dock. For instance the 4310 is $150 cheaper from AC4Less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...results/1.html
post #34841 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

With all the recent discussions on the V6.3's and the RC-70 bundle, I am questioning if I should keep on waiting for some V1.8's to pop up on the used market. I think I read from one person that the V1.8 is still way better than the V6.3. Is that correct? Does anyone know how the slightly less old V2.3's compare to the V6.3's? Thanks.

From what I've read in this thread all the older Veritas models are better than their new V counterparts.
post #34842 of 51590
how does the S10.3 compare to some of the current energy lines, like the VSW10 or something like that
post #34843 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpickle View Post

I'm in a similar situation as quikky, as far as speaker selection. I was looking to put together a CB5/CC5 5.0 setup, and add a sub. Would you suggest that I go with the RC Micro 5.0, instead? I was thinking the larger drivers on the Connoisseur series would provide better overall sound quality than the RC Micros. But maybe the quality of the RC Micros is more important than the size of the Connoisseurs? I'd appreciate some guidance from the experts here.

What's your total budget for speakers?

You may want to look at something like the NHT SuperZero which is larger than the RC Micro but smaller than the RC-10 and will fit within your 11" limit.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772


the CB-5's wouldn't be bad either.
post #34844 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ22 View Post

how does the S10.3 compare to some of the current energy lines, like the VSW10 or something like that

The s10.3 plays deeper but the VSW10 has a higher quality build with its high gloss urethane finish. It may also be a little tighter with music.

I've had a s10.3 for 3 years and I'm perfectly happy with it. Don't know if I'd spend the extra $150 for the Veritas sub. My sub sits hidden in a corner so the beautiful finish would be wasted on me.
post #34845 of 51590
afrogt,

Thanks. So I guess I just need to hold firm and not succumb to the temptation.
post #34846 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

With all the recent discussions on the V6.3's and the RC-70 bundle, I am questioning if I should keep on waiting for some V1.8's to pop up on the used market. I think I read from one person that the V1.8 is still way better than the V6.3. Is that correct? Does anyone know how the slightly less old V2.3's compare to the V6.3's? Thanks.

You could be a looong time, but if they ever did come up, you would be so glad you held out. Impossible to say for sure. jasonmichaelh said that going from the 6.3's to the 1.8's was the equivalent of going from the RC-10's to the RC-70's or more. I am almost positive that I would buy any older models over the new ones if I had the chance and the price was good.
post #34847 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Aside from the 3310, Accessories 4 Less has much better pricing on Denon refurbs and they throw in a iPod dock. For instance the 4310 is $150 cheaper from AC4Less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...results/1.html

That place looks fantastic. They also ship to Canada!
I am going to keep these guys in mind.
post #34848 of 51590
Thanks a lot everyone, again, for the input. I am settled on RC-10s and s10.3.

I have the last (I hope) couple of questions. Which receiver is better of the following Denons:

-391 $150 (refurbished)
-591 $200 (refurbished)
-1612 $250

Also, is ~$220 for s10.3 and ~$280 for the RC-10s a good price?
post #34849 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

With all the recent discussions on the V6.3's and the RC-70 bundle, I am questioning if I should keep on waiting for some V1.8's to pop up on the used market. I think I read from one person that the V1.8 is still way better than the V6.3. Is that correct? Does anyone know how the slightly less old V2.3's compare to the V6.3's? Thanks.

the new Veritas models seem more like incremental improvements on the RC's (better build, nicer finish, flatter / brighter sound signature).

the older Veritas models (whether 1st gen 1.8/2.8 or the 2nd gen 2.2/2.3/2.4/etc) are the "true" flagship models. I haven't heard the new Veritas but I have little doubt that the V2.3i would blow away the V6.3.
post #34850 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Thanks a lot everyone, again, for the input. I am settled on RC-10s and s10.3.

I have the last (I hope) couple of questions. Which receiver is better of the following Denons:

-391 $150 (refurbished)
-591 $200 (refurbished)
-1612 $250

Also, is ~$220 for s10.3 and ~$280 for the RC-10s a good price?

yes, for the last time it's a GREAT price. Why do you think we keep recommending them to you over and over again?

as already noted, scratch the 391 off your list. The 591 is a big step up due to the Audyssey MultEQ calibration software.

the 1612 is the newer version of the 591, the biggest difference is that (1) it has a USB port on the front to plug in an iPod/iPhone for music and (2) it can output a color GUI on your screen for setup menus, volume overlay, etc.
post #34851 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, for the last time it's a GREAT price. Why do you think we keep recommending them to you over and over again?

as already noted, scratch the 391 off your list. The 591 is a big step up due to the Audyssey MultEQ calibration software.

the 1612 is the newer version of the 591, the biggest difference is that (1) it has a USB port on the front to plug in an iPod/iPhone for music and (2) it can output a color GUI on your screen for setup menus, volume overlay, etc.

Got it

I think the final setup is:

RC-10s
s10.3
Denon 1612 (refurb)

The total is ~$750. ...I really hate (in a good way ) this forum.
post #34852 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The s10.3 plays deeper but the VSW10 has a higher quality build with its high gloss urethane finish. It may also be a little tighter with music.

I've had a s10.3 for 3 years and I'm perfectly happy with it. Don't know if I'd spend the extra $150 for the Veritas sub. My sub sits hidden in a corner so the beautiful finish would be wasted on me.

I'm not sure how much deeper the S10.3 really plays... the specs only show a 2Hz different in -3dB point. I think in "real world" the difference in extension would be negligible, whereas the V sub will have more output and less distortion (i.e. tighter). The build quality difference is beyond just the glossy finish, the Veritas sub (ESW-V10 or V-SW10) is heavier, has a more powerful amp, bigger voice coil, and a beefier driver/magnet assembly.

Not necessarily saying that the S10.3 isn't a better value at the current pricing, but I think it's safe to say that the V subs are better subs than their SX.3 counterparts beyond just the aesthetics. I haven't heard the S8.3 but my current Prestige S8 (same as V8 as you know) is much better than the S8.2 it replaced.
post #34853 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Just so you know, the RC-10s do great on their sides too (and actually don't look half bad that way either). My wife LOVES the look of the RC-10 compared to other speakers.

That's good to know. I'll measure when I get home tonight. Unfortunately, I think the space is narrower than it is tall. As much as we like the entertainment center, I regret that we bought it BEFORE I got serious about building out my HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Show her the rosenut finishes. Whalaa!

My wife is chieftess of the speakers-should-be-heard-not-seen tribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What's your total budget for speakers?

You may want to look at something like the NHT SuperZero which is larger than the RC Micro but smaller than the RC-10 and will fit within your 11" limit.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

the CB-5's wouldn't be bad either.

Total budget is somewhat flexible, but I need to add components in $200-$300 increments. That keeps me from hearing, "You spent HOW MUCH on speakers?!?!"

Thanks for the tip on the NHTs. I don't think I've stumbled across those before. Have you actually compared the SuperZeroes to the CB-5s? Interesting that the web site also promotes them as a center channel.
post #34854 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Thanks a lot everyone, again, for the input. I am settled on RC-10s and s10.3.

Great Choice!!! Thats what I was hoping you would go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

I have the last (I hope) couple of questions. Which receiver is better of the following Denons:

-391 $150 (refurbished)
-591 $200 (refurbished)
-1612 $250

Take a read through this: http://batpigworld.com/models.html

The 591 is better than the 391. It comes with Audyssey which is very helpful in setting up your system properly.

The 1612 is basically the equivalent of the 591, just a year newer. I dont know what the spec differences are though, if any.

edit: looks like batpig answered this already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Also, is ~$220 for s10.3 and ~$280 for the RC-10s a good price?

The s10.3 was being sold for $199 at one point, but $220 is also a great price. I think $280 is the lowest the RC-10's have sold for brand new. I got a customer return from vanns for $280, and I thought I was getting a great deal.

So yes.....very good prices.
post #34855 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post

Got it

I think the final setup is:

RC-10s
s10.3
Denon 1612 (refurb)

The total is ~$750. ...I really hate (in a good way ) this forum.

BTW - if you want a very inexpensive local HDMI switching receiver I found this on Tucson craigslist: http://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/2698942701.html

doesn't have quite as many features as the Denon 1612 but it would be a good "starter" receiver if you'd rather save the 100 bucks right now (and maybe more if the guy will negotiate).
post #34856 of 51590
What is the recommended center to go with the V5.1s? Will the RC-LCR match or do I need to go with the 5.2 center or V-Mini center?
post #34857 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post

Hi everyone. I'm planning a road trip to purchase a pair of the older Audissey APS 5+2's. The seller is actually interested in purchasing my S12.3 sub. I am curious if you all would have any opinions on my replacing my dedicated sub with the integrated (and self-powered) subs in the APS 5+2's?

IMHO the built-in subs in the towers cannot compete with the S12.3 for HT performance. I think you are probably right that it won't matter as much for 2ch music where you can run the two Audissey speakers full-range, but the S12.3 is a pretty monstrous sub.

In this "seismic subs" review it was the output king, having the highest avg SPL, tying for highest max SPL, and 2nd in 20Hz output only to the PSB Subsonic 6i: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...-subs?page=0,3

I'm sure the built-in 8" subs in the towers are nice but they are not a substitute for a true dedicated 12" sub for HT performance. If big impact/slam for movies is a priority, I wouldn't get rid of it (unless you planned to upgrade to an even better sub sometime soon).

Used I would probably expect $350-400.
post #34858 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

The RC Micros are far too tiny. I would definitely go with a CB-5 setup. As far as sound quality, again the Micros are too tiny so any sound from them would be tiny, so sure it can be clear, but the sound falls flat as there are little to no bass notes. The CB-5s produce a fuller sound because of the extra bass extension and the CB-5s tweeter is no slouch at .75inch tweeter vs the Micro's .5inch.

The Micros only purpose is if you really have size limitations and or really, really high WAF, and want better price/performance vs something like Bose for the size.

I forgot to say thanks for the sanity check. Thanks!
post #34859 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Mardukous View Post

That place looks fantastic. They also ship to Canada!
I am going to keep these guys in mind.

A4L is a great vendor. I got a refurb Onkyo from them and changed my mind after I submitted the order for a higher end Onkyo. I sent them an email expecting to have to call them in the morning. Very early the next morning I got a call from THEM confirming the change and I received the Onkyo 3 days later. Its hard to find excellent service like that in this day and age imo.
post #34860 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillpickle View Post

My wife is chieftess of the speakers-should-be-heard-not-seen tribe.

I'll bet ya her reaction will surprise you if you gather up some photos from this thread and energy's website.

Hey, I'm just trying to help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread