or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1299

post #38941 of 51452
I am looking for opinions on the energy LRC reference speaker I am thinking of using 3 of them across the front, I am unable to audition so I am asking for opinions thanks
post #38942 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSquid View Post

Where can I buy one of those metal strips used to connect the dual binding posts on the RC-30's? I let my dad use my speakers and the geezer not only managed to lose the strip but also two of the terminal screws. Now the speakers are not functioning properly and I had to borrow the metal strip from my RC-10s.

I would think you can get a part like that from Energy still. Call them.... otherwise a good piece of wire connected between the terminals will work just fine also..
post #38943 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

I am looking for opinions on the energy LRC reference speaker I am thinking of using 3 of them across the front, I am unable to audition so I am asking for opinions thanks

I assume since you say "reference" speaker you mean the RC-LCR? Or do you mean the Take LCR? I can not speak for the quality of the Take version, but 3 RC-LCRs for the front would be excellent! Highly recommended....
post #38944 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlivingstone View Post

Today at Future Shop I saw three RC8Cs in ceiling speakers.

I never saw RC8Cs at FutureShop... Next time I go I'll try to ask but I didn't know they even sold those.

Also FutureShop sells Energy car speakers. I guess it's a totally different brand? Still the ENC12B subwoofer lists "ribbed elliptical surround" as a feature...

Quote:
What do you think of using the RC8Cs instead of the RC10s for surround/rear speakers ?

The RC6 in-walls and RC-8C in-ceiling have really good reputation in this thread. I guess they would be great repleacements for RC-10s. I'm just unsure how they would do as surrounds. I think someone just installed RC-8C surrounds and RC-6W front heights...


Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

I am looking for opinions on the energy LRC reference speaker I am thinking of using 3 of them across the front, I am unable to audition so I am asking for opinions thanks

3 RC-LCR on the front would be excellent with a full 3-way, timbre-matched front stage and excellent dispersion. But somehow most people rather go for the lower-budget option of a single RC-LCR center and RC-10 bookshelves or the higher-budget option of a single RC-LCR center and RC towers.
post #38945 of 51452
Went on a overnight trip to the US and on the way back I picked up my (2) VS Surrounds from the Kinek Point near Niagara Falls. I declared the $298.00 I paid to Vann's and either I got a generous Border guard or it's because I was in the States for more than 24 hours but they didn't even charge me the Provincial Taxes. So I've done the Kinek Point twice now with no issues and would do it again without hesitation.

Anyway, anyone thinking about Surrounds need to get a pair of these, they sound amazing and really immerse you into the action.
post #38946 of 51452
Turrmoil,

What do you think of the VTF3??? I'm thinking that might be the sub for me VTF3 MK4. Your thoughts??
post #38947 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Vanns doesn't ship to Canada, hence the reason we were discussing using a Kinek point on the previous page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21937548

Thank you for the link. I guess I will stick to having the larger items shipped to Chicago and the smaller items to SFO.
post #38948 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSquid View Post

Where can I buy one of those metal strips used to connect the dual binding posts on the RC-30's? I let my dad use my speakers and the geezer not only managed to lose the strip but also two of the terminal screws. Now the speakers are not functioning properly and I had to borrow the metal strip from my RC-10s.

Just use a small piece of speakers wire. That's what I do....works like a charm.
post #38949 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Went on a overnight trip to the US and on the way back I picked up my (2) VS Surrounds from the Kinek Point near Niagara Falls. I declared the $298.00 I paid to Vann's and either I got a generous Border guard or it's because I was in the States for more than 24 hours but they didn't even charge me the Provincial Taxes. So I've done the Kinek Point twice now with no issues and would do it again without hesitation.

Anyway, anyone thinking about Surrounds need to get a pair of these, they sound amazing and really immerse you into the action.

How did you get the VS for $298? I see them on the website for $200 each. Did you have to call in? I'm interested in replacing my Mirage OMD5 with the VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Turrmoil,

What do you think of the VTF3??? I'm thinking that might be the sub for me VTF3 MK4. Your thoughts??

How about the PB12-nsd from sonicboomaudio.com in Markham? I got this sub a couple of weeks ago and it's great. It has a 5 year warranty that is handled by Sonic Boom as they are an authorized SVS dealer.
post #38950 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

What do you think of the VTF3??? I'm thinking that might be the sub for me VTF3 MK4. Your thoughts??

That's a very highly regarded sub, and should be quite nice for both HT and music even in fairly decent sized rooms. How big is the room?
post #38951 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Turrmoil,

What do you think of the VTF3??? I'm thinking that might be the sub for me VTF3 MK4. Your thoughts??

I agree with audit13. Also look at the SVS PB12-NSD. Both it and the VTF 3.4 are equally well-regarded on the AVS subwoofer forum and are considered equivalent in class. You can't go wrong with either. Here's a review of the PB12-NSD: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/pb12-nsd
post #38952 of 51452
I got them for $298 at Vann's when they were on sale just 3-4 weeks ago for $149 each. I actually missed the sales because they end midnight of the quoted end date of the sale. I called and talked with the guys there and they honored the $149.

I am seriously looking for a really good sub but with my budget of $600 of great value and my top top end of $1,000 it is a really tough decision. Some subs are talked about highly and SVS is no exception however I always have to take into account the Wife factor and the grills on the SVS don't look passable. They are not the soft cloth grills from what I see. That is really the only reason I have steered away from SVS.

I have (I think) narrowed my choices to the VTF3 MK4, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Rythmik Subs. Trouble is there are so many arguments over down firing, ported or not ported. It's hard to make a educated (feel good) decision for the limited amount of knowledge I have for audio.

I use my system for about 20% music (mostly FM) and 80% HT and I love the bass on movie soundtracks. I currently have a 8" Velodyne DLS-3500R so I know I'm missing out on some great bass.
post #38953 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I got them for $298 at Vann's when they were on sale just 3-4 weeks ago for $149 each. I actually missed the sales because they end midnight of the quoted end date of the sale. I called and talked with the guys there and they honored the $149.

I am seriously looking for a really good sub but with my budget of $600 of great value and my top top end of $1,000 it is a really tough decision. Some subs are talked about highly and SVS is no exception however I always have to take into account the Wife factor and the grills on the SVS don't look passable. They are not the soft cloth grills from what I see. That is really the only reason I have steered away from SVS.

I have (I think) narrowed my choices to the VTF3 MK4, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Rythmik Subs. Trouble is there are so many arguments over down firing, ported or not ported. It's hard to make a educated (feel good) decision for the limited amount of knowledge I have for audio.

I use my system for about 20% music (mostly FM) and 80% HT and I love the bass on movie soundtracks. I currently have a 8" Velodyne DLS-3500R so I know I'm missing out on some great bass.

You will be fine with any of those subs. They are very good for music and excellent for movies.
post #38954 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I got them for $298 at Vann's when they were on sale just 3-4 weeks ago for $149 each. I actually missed the sales because they end midnight of the quoted end date of the sale. I called and talked with the guys there and they honored the $149.

I am seriously looking for a really good sub but with my budget of $600 of great value and my top top end of $1,000 it is a really tough decision. Some subs are talked about highly and SVS is no exception however I always have to take into account the Wife factor and the grills on the SVS don't look passable. They are not the soft cloth grills from what I see. That is really the only reason I have steered away from SVS.

I have (I think) narrowed my choices to the VTF3 MK4, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Rythmik Subs. Trouble is there are so many arguments over down firing, ported or not ported. It's hard to make a educated (feel good) decision for the limited amount of knowledge I have for audio.

I use my system for about 20% music (mostly FM) and 80% HT and I love the bass on movie soundtracks. I currently have a 8" Velodyne DLS-3500R so I know I'm missing out on some great bass.

All good choices, so you can't go wrong. The VTF3 MK4 will solve some of your dilemmas as it can be run in sealed or ported mode. I have the VTF 15H (I went larger because of the size of my room), and I have played around with the various modes. I'm very happy with it and the way it blends with my RC-70's RC-LCR and VS surrounds. My upgrade was from an old htib sub, and the difference is amazing. I love my RC's, but the sub has made the biggest difference by far in my HT listening.
post #38955 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I got them for $298 at Vann's when they were on sale just 3-4 weeks ago for $149 each. I actually missed the sales because they end midnight of the quoted end date of the sale. I called and talked with the guys there and they honored the $149.

I am seriously looking for a really good sub but with my budget of $600 of great value and my top top end of $1,000 it is a really tough decision. Some subs are talked about highly and SVS is no exception however I always have to take into account the Wife factor and the grills on the SVS don't look passable. They are not the soft cloth grills from what I see. That is really the only reason I have steered away from SVS.

I have (I think) narrowed my choices to the VTF3 MK4, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Rythmik Subs. Trouble is there are so many arguments over down firing, ported or not ported. It's hard to make a educated (feel good) decision for the limited amount of knowledge I have for audio.

I use my system for about 20% music (mostly FM) and 80% HT and I love the bass on movie soundtracks. I currently have a 8" Velodyne DLS-3500R so I know I'm missing out on some great bass.

The new PB12-nsd has the black metal grill which some like, some don't. I like it because I have cats!

Were you able to make the purchase with a Canadian credit card? I called and they told me they don't accept Canadian cards. I had to ask my friend in SFO to buy a pair of Mirage speakers for me and send them to Chicago for pick up by me.
post #38956 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I have (I think) narrowed my choices to the VTF3 MK4, Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Rythmik Subs. Trouble is there are so many arguments over down firing, ported or not ported. It's hard to make a educated (feel good) decision for the limited amount of knowledge I have for audio.

The biggest consideration would probably be room size. If you have a big room and/or an open floor plan, the VTF 3.4 and EX will give the most SPL output and be best able to fill the room with bass. Otherwise, I agree with batt50; you can't go wrong.
post #38957 of 51452
has anyone had the chance to compare these two models? I currently have the RC-70's and was one of the lucky ones getting them for the 2 for 1 pricing error by futureshop. I got mine for $200 a piece. I am impressed by the rc 70's but how much better are the SVS speakers, taking into account the big price difference, would it be worth jumping to the MTS-02's? basicly are the SVS that much better?
post #38958 of 51452
Thanks for the thoughts.....i think I am leaning towards the VTF3 for it's versatility and looks and value.

Audit13....Cats....LOL!!

I do have a big room, open concept so I think I'll be happy with the results. I have the exact same setup/components as MACinPittsford. I've enjoyed the new speakers very much!! Everything is heard with more clarity and detail, price was right as well. Love em'.

I used an American credit card (as mentioned before) Vann's won't take Canadian Credit cards. If I had taken advantage of the sale a day earlier I could have gone through Amazon.com as they had them for the same price of $149 each and Amazon.com accepts Canadian credit cards.
post #38959 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I do have a big room, open concept so I think I'll be happy with the results.

You'll be excited then. Your big room is certainly swallowing up the bass produced by the 8" Velodyne compared to what the VTF 3.4 can do, in addition to the significant gain in low end frequency range you will get. I have the EX in about 6,000 cubic feet--which is probably its limit for room size--and it was a dramatic improvement for HT over the 10" ported sub I have.
post #38960 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan__ View Post


No problem. I plan to get a VTF-2 Mk4 when we finish my basement in the next several months. They make nice subs and have good customer service.

Oh, and whatever you do. Do not, DO... NOT!! Do NOT look into something called a SubMersive, by Mark Seaton.

Just... say... no.

Well I decided to get the VTF-15H due to the openness of the floor plan, can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks again to all who put in their advice/knowledge, most appreciated.
post #38961 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post


Well I decided to get the VTF-15H due to the openness of the floor plan, can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks again to all who put in their advice/knowledge, most appreciated.

Be sure to post in the HSU threads in the subwoofer forum because Dr Hsu himself is helping people with their sub setup! If you can give him a room layout with some measurements he'll tell you the best spot to put the sub and what settings should work best for you. I just picked up the ULS 15 and he was a huge help in getting it dialed in. Really nice guy too!
post #38962 of 51452
Cel4145,

Is that EX you got the Outlaw LFM-1EX. If so, would that one be a better choice over the VTF3 MK4??? I have hard wood floors and I hear that down firing subs are not recommended. My room is just over 3,000 cu. ft.

Does HSU make the Outlaw subs?? They look kinda the same.
post #38963 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Went on a overnight trip to the US and on the way back I picked up my (2) VS Surrounds from the Kinek Point near Niagara Falls. I declared the $298.00 I paid to Vann's and either I got a generous Border guard or it's because I was in the States for more than 24 hours but they didn't even charge me the Provincial Taxes. So I've done the Kinek Point twice now with no issues and would do it again without hesitation.

Anyway, anyone thinking about Surrounds need to get a pair of these, they sound amazing and really immerse you into the action.

Congrats on that deal... I love the RC-10 as surrounds (especially when playing music) but a pair of V-Ses for the same price would have tempted me a lot. Maybe next time

As for staying in the US... if it's less than 24h, you get no exemption. Between 24 and 48h, you get a $50 exemption on taxes. If you stayed more than 48h, then you get $400 in exemption. Next step is $750 exemption if you stayed for a whole week or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

I am seriously looking for a really good sub but with my budget of $600 of great value and my top top end of $1,000 it is a really tough decision. Some subs are talked about highly and SVS is no exception however I always have to take into account the Wife factor and the grills on the SVS don't look passable. They are not the soft cloth grills from what I see. That is really the only reason I have steered away from SVS.

I think the VTF-3 Mk 4 is a great choice being a favorite in this thread and elsewhere on AVS. So you already got our collective two thumbs up for that. But just fort the record, the metal grill on my SVS sub is one of my favorite feature. I think it looks awesome -- much better than in the pictures and awkward drawings on sonicboomaudio.com -- and I don't fear anybody kicking a ball in that woofer (I'm looking at you, 18-mo toddler).

Still I'm grateful I didn't knew about Kinek before shopping for subs. Chosing from SVS only is much easier than having all the ID subs at your disposal
post #38964 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesb View Post

has anyone had the chance to compare these two models? I currently have the RC-70's and was one of the lucky ones getting them for the 2 for 1 pricing error by futureshop. I got mine for $200 a piece. I am impressed by the rc 70's but how much better are the SVS speakers, taking into account the big price difference, would it be worth jumping to the MTS-02's? basicly are the SVS that much better?

I doubt anyone has compared these two directly, but what makes you think the SVS is better? The RC-70 is the flagship model of the RC line and was over $2000msrp for the pair. All pro reviews of the RC-70 say they are a steal at their price, and they are competitive with nearly any towers in the $4000-and-under segment. Just because you got them for $400/pr doesn't mean they perform like that!

Let's say for the sake of argument the MTS-02 were a bit better.... when you factor in the price you paid for the RC-70's, you still got a much better deal.
post #38965 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I doubt anyone has compared these two directly, but what makes you think the SVS is better? The RC-70 is the flagship model of the RC line and was over $2000msrp for the pair. All pro reviews of the RC-70 say they are a steal at their price, and they are competitive with nearly any towers in the $4000-and-under segment. Just because you got them for $400/pr doesn't mean they perform like that!

Let's say for the sake of argument the MTS-02 were a bit better.... when you factor in the price you paid for the RC-70's, you still got a much better deal.

Stop your logical talk batpig. You're supposed to tell him the SVS's are way better, so he can sell his RC-70's to me for the $400 he paid for them.
post #38966 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesb View Post

has anyone had the chance to compare these two models? I currently have the RC-70's and was one of the lucky ones getting them for the 2 for 1 pricing error by futureshop. I got mine for $200 a piece. I am impressed by the rc 70's but how much better are the SVS speakers, taking into account the big price difference, would it be worth jumping to the MTS-02's? basicly are the SVS that much better?

The MTS-02 go for $1400/pr while the RC-70's used to go for $2000/pr. You got an incredible deal on the RC-70's. You may not have a problem selling your RC's for $800-1000/pr. Based on the reviews of both speakers the build quality on the RC is much better, at least compared to the MTS-01. Maybe they upgraded the veneer on the MTS-02 so it might be improved now.

Listening preferences are subjective. You may like the SVS better, who knows?

Review of MTS-01, didn't see a professional review of MTS-02
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/two-c...er-review.html

Review of RC-70
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm

According to the specs, the MTS-02 is 4 ohm nominal whereas the RC-70 is 8 ohms nominal. You're going to need some nice equipment to drive the MTS-02, dont expect a low end receiver to do the trick with 4 ohm loads. What receiver do you have Miles?
post #38967 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Cel4145,

Is that EX you got the Outlaw LFM-1EX. If so, would that one be a better choice over the VTF3 MK4??? I have hard wood floors and I hear that down firing subs are not recommended. My room is just over 3,000 cu. ft.

Does HSU make the Outlaw subs?? They look kinda the same.

My understanding is that Dr. Hsu consulted on the design of some of the Outlaw subs.

I've read that some people use something called a Gramma Subdude which is a pad placed under the sub to isolate it from the floor. Some people have made their own isolation pads. I have a vague recollection of something in the Hsu forums about placing their subs on a small rug or carpet remnant, but I could be mistaken about that. The feet of my sub rest on 4 small furniture sliding pads, but that's primarily so I could slide the sub around the hardwood floor without damaging the floor.
post #38968 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmka View Post

Cel4145,

Is that EX you got the Outlaw LFM-1EX. If so, would that one be a better choice over the VTF3 MK4??? I have hard wood floors and I hear that down firing subs are not recommended. My room is just over 3,000 cu. ft.

Does HSU make the Outlaw subs?? They look kinda the same.

I have hardwood floors, and the Outlaw pounds in my living room. LOL

The LFM-1 series was originally designed in consultation with Dr. HSU. On paper, all estimates seem to indicate that the VTF 3.4 slightly edges out the EX in performance on a couple of metrics. In real use, you may not notice a difference (someone who has both the earlier VTF 3.3. and the EX has testified to this).

Outlaw has very good customer support, but HSU is a step better. They will even help you figure out how to set up your sub in your room to optimize the bass.

If the same price and I was buying again at full price, I would go with the HSU VTF 3.4. But 2 or 3 times a year, Outlaw puts the EX on sale for under $600 shipped (I got mine for $574 on b-stock). Then the EX is clearly the best deal on a sub for HT for under $800.

One other thing if you are interested in saving money. HSU used to rate the VTF-2 MK3 as good in rooms up to 4,500 cubic feet. If you call HSU and describe your room and ask them what they recommend (don't tell them which sub you are thinking about), they may tell you the VTF-2 MK4 would be a good fit. Compare the specs. The 2.4 and 3.4 are pretty similar except for the difference in output because of the stronger amp power and slightly larger enclosure size (I understand the driver is the same). Unless you are a bass head, you could be fine with the slightly smaller sub. See what they say.
post #38969 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The MTS-02 go for $1400/pr while the RC-70's used to go for $2000/pr. You got an incredible deal on the RC-70's. You may not have a problem selling your RC's for $800-1000/pr. Based on the reviews of both speakers the build quality on the RC is much better, at least compared to the MTS-01. Maybe they upgraded the veneer on the MTS-02 so it might be improved now.

Listening preferences are subjective. You may like the SVS better, who knows?


According to the specs, the MTS-02 is 4 ohm nominal whereas the RC-70 is 8 ohms nominal. You're going to need some nice equipment to drive the MTS-02, dont expect a low end receiver to do the trick with 4 ohm loads. What receiver do you have Miles?

I have an onkyo NR809, kicks my RC70's pretty good
post #38970 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

You can just order through Amazon.com, or I guess you could also order through Vann's and pay using Amazon Payments. Amazon.com accepts canadian cards and let you register multiple delivery adresses if you want.

And yes you likely won't find anything cheaper. Note that the price is for a single V-S though.

Thanks a lot for all your answers (Neutro, AfroGT, Sharp10..).

I will order the VS from Amazon and use Kinek point delivery and bring them back in Canada. I will let you know how it went.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread