or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 136

post #4051 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien View Post

So given this fact, would you say that RC-10s and a good sub would perform better than the RC-70s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

This is just speculative on my part, but since the RC-10 is only a 2-way design I'm not sure it can match the RC-70 in the midrange, even if both are cut off at 80 or 100Hz. That's only the low to mid bass, and the RC-70 would still have an advantage in the fullness/detail of the mids.

Now, I would think that if you had a pair of RC-LCR's matched with a top-notch sub, then you might start talking.

Batpig kind of answered it already. The RC-70s have more depth - a bigger soundstage and better imaging, than the RC-10's do. A sub will fill out the bottom end, but it won't add the depth/soundstage. However, that being said, a pair of RC-10's with a nice sub integrated properly would sound very nich and probably not leaving you wanting an upgrade anytime soon.
post #4052 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Batpig kind of answered it already. The RC-70s have more depth - a bigger soundstage and better imaging, than the RC-10's do. A sub will fill out the bottom end, but it won't add the depth/soundstage. However, that being said, a pair of RC-10's with a nice sub integrated properly would sound very nich and probably not leaving you wanting an upgrade anytime soon.


I like the RC-LCRs best with a subwoofer, but they are no bargain at the price they go for.
post #4053 of 51587
Futureshop now has the RC-30 for $249, the RC-50 for $399, and the RC-70 for $1249!!! Buy them while you can...

EDIT - Apparently futureshop has changed their deal for these. These are PER speaker... Apparently they got tired of refunding the shipping charges when selling them in pairs...
post #4054 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan.Croft View Post

Futureshop now has the RC-30 for $249, the RC-50 for $399, and the RC-70 for $1249!!! BUY THEM WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Watch out! Those are now SINGLE prices. Double it up for pairs and its the same as before. The Cherry and Rosenut speakers are now end of line.
post #4055 of 51587
Ahh, you are right... I didn't see that... Oopsies.. I will edit my original post...

Hopefully the RC-LCR in Rosenut drops down in price since it is the end of the line.... That is the only thing I need in Rosenut, the RC-R are all black anyways...
post #4056 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post

Watch out! Those are now SINGLE prices. Double it up for pairs and its the same as before. The Cherry and Rosenut speakers are now end of line.

Looks like their shipping charges have doubled. It now costs $59.98 to ship a pair of RC30 to Edmonton, while it used to cost $29.99.
post #4057 of 51587
I noticed that too...I was about to throw the RC-50 in the cart till I seen "Single s"stated, that bummed me out.
post #4058 of 51587
I meant to ask you guys for recommendation on rears for both of the setups listed below. Not sure if they are all on sale or the cheapest yet at FS, but the prices seem reasonable on the C-R100 (100 each), C-50 (249 a pair) and RC Mini's (249 singles?) Have any of you heard or actually like the C-50 over the C-R100's, designs seems good but does it compare. I have to complete the setups since the deals are almost ending...

First setups are C-300 for fronts and C-50 for center (11 by 15 room), Second setup are the C-500 for fronts, C-100 for center (13 by 13 room) both rooms have 8 ft ceilings.

Like to have some incite on the rear speaker selection since FS is just to large to audition and compare to the rooms. Thanks for your time guys.
post #4059 of 51587
Red flag deals has a thread indicating some killer prices on the RC-70 at Calgary only Future Shops.
post #4060 of 51587
Has anyone here ever compared the RC-10s with Ascend 170s or 340s? I have a pair of C-3s I'm thinking about upgrading, and was intrigued with the Ascends. I'm just wondering if maybe they wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the C-3s?

Also, I have a C-C3 center channel - how would that match with the RC-10s? It's a pretty nice speaker, and I would hate to get rid of it. although the LCRs do look pretty amazing.
post #4061 of 51587
I'm pretty sure Krunch has 340's and RC-10's and prefers the RC. I've heard both at the stores and am pretty sure that the RC-10 is a significant upgrade.
post #4062 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

Has anyone here ever compared the RC-10s with Ascend 170s or 340s? I have a pair of C-3s I'm thinking about upgrading, and was intrigued with the Ascends. I'm just wondering if maybe they wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the C-3s?

Also, I have a C-C3 center channel - how would that match with the RC-10s? It's a pretty nice speaker, and I would hate to get rid of it. although the LCRs do look pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

I'm pretty sure Krunch has 340's and RC-10's and prefers the RC. I've heard both at the stores and am pretty sure that the RC-10 is a significant upgrade.

Yep - Star - here's a pic (though note the RC-10s I have are not in the picture:



I did a direct comparison of the 170's vs. the RC-10's (oh,the 170's aren't in the pic either) and it lasted less than 5 minutes. 170's sound like a transistor radio speaker next to the RC-10. No bass, no depth, in comparison.

The 340's are a much closer match to the RC-10's for overall imaging, but the depth still isn't there.

Now, bear in mind two things:

1. This is not a putdown of Ascend. I still have them and still use them in another system with my Xbox360 and plasma (need to upgrade my receiver though).

2. The Ascends I have are the 'classic' version. The new SE's that replaced use different drivers and are supposed to be a significant improvement. If that is true (I won't argue it, I've never heard them) I'd say the improvement would more than likely match that of the RC's, but I doubt it would surpass them except for one area - the Ascends are a more forward speaker. I don't mean to say they're bright, they are not. They are neutral like the RC's are, but the RC's roll off the highs slightly as compared to the Ascends, which I like especially when listening at loud volumes, as the Ascends at loud volumes I find can beam at you a little bit. The RC's don't beam at all.

Hope this helps you out a little
post #4063 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

Red flag deals has a thread indicating some killer prices on the RC-70 at Calgary only Future Shops.


can you post the link? or pm
post #4064 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Yep - Star - here's a pic (though note the RC-10s I have are not in the picture:

I did a direct comparison of the 170's vs. the RC-10's (oh,the 170's aren't in the pic either) and it lasted less than 5 minutes. 170's sound like a transistor radio speaker next to the RC-10. No bass, no depth, in comparison.

The 340's are a much closer match to the RC-10's for overall imaging, but the depth still isn't there.

Now, bear in mind two things:

1. This is not a putdown of Ascend. I still have them and still use them in another system with my Xbox360 and plasma (need to upgrade my receiver though).

2. The Ascends I have are the 'classic' version. The new SE's that replaced use different drivers and are supposed to be a significant improvement. If that is true (I won't argue it, I've never heard them) I'd say the improvement would more than likely match that of the RC's, but I doubt it would surpass them except for one area - the Ascends are a more forward speaker. I don't mean to say they're bright, they are not. They are neutral like the RC's are, but the RC's roll off the highs slightly as compared to the Ascends, which I like especially when listening at loud volumes, as the Ascends at loud volumes I find can beam at you a little bit. The RC's don't beam at all.

Hope this helps you out a little

Yes and no! It's exactly the aspects I was wondering about, because the main reason I wanted to upgrade is because the C-3s don't seem quite forward enough. But I like the fullness, so if the ascends typically sound thinner, that's not what I want, either.

So it definitely helps, but also leaves me back at square one wondering what to upgrade to. The RC-10s are tempting and most definitely would be an upgrade, but I think they might be even more slightly recessed than the C-3s. I guess the search continues. If I could only find the Energy sound, but in something a little more foward, I would really be satisfied. There's not a lot of demo opportunities around here, so comparisons like yours really helps. thanks.
post #4065 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

I've heard both at the stores and am pretty sure that the RC-10 is a significant upgrade.

BTW, I was reffering to the C-3 vs RC
post #4066 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

Yes and no! It's exactly the aspects I was wondering about, because the main reason I wanted to upgrade is because the C-3s don't seem quite forward enough. But I like the fullness, so if the ascends typically sound thinner, that's not what I want, either.

So it definitely helps, but also leaves me back at square one wondering what to upgrade to. The RC-10s are tempting and most definitely would be an upgrade, but I think they might be even more slightly recessed than the C-3s. I guess the search continues. If I could only find the Energy sound, but in something a little more foward, I would really be satisfied. There's not a lot of demo opportunities around here, so comparisons like yours really helps. thanks.

I haven't heard the C-3 so I can't comment on how it sounds next to the RC-10. However, the RC line is second from the top. I do understand what you're looking for though. Not sure if you've read my other posts from a page or two back, but I recently got a great deal on a real nice tube amp and I was looking for a pair (2 channel only) speakers for it as all my other speakers are already in use.

I tried the RC-10's and the RC-70's - the 70's were far too much for the size of room I had it in, the RC-10's sounded very nice, but like you said, a little bit more recessed than what I like for two channel listening (for multichannel listening, with the music all around, I like the RC's very much as their 'laidbackness' (is that a word) doesn't apply in a surround field). I was looking seriously at Totem as their speaker size / sound fit in my rather small room, and I did not want a bookshelf as I did not want to put a sub in there either.

Well, the Totems were nice, but they did not have that "energy" sound. I did find one speaker that did though.... an Energy of course. But it's the TOTL Veritas that I got on a demo clearout. It's the bookshelf (2.2i) but it's exactly the sound I was after and it bested the Totems I was auditioning rather easily (in my view, I know there's people that would feel just as strongly the other way though - so don't take that as one being better).

The Veritas has the Energy sound, is forward but not at all bright (very smooth highs actually). Very 'true' to the recording and all the detail is there, and it really shows off my tube amp. Unfortunately, it also shows off my Pioneer 563a universal DVD player I'm using as a transport right now. It's not exactly a 'music' machine. Though my tube amp does a very nice job of mellowing out the sound, I know I can get better separation of the instruments with a proper transport that would be worthy of the Veritas and the amp. Damn upgrades - it's costing me a fortune.. beware of half price sales as it can still cost you in the end . Still need to get a pic - if I can find the camera I'll do that tonight.

Bear in mind though you can by 3 pair of RC-10's and still have money left over instead of 1 pair of the 2.2i's, so it all depends on your budget.
post #4067 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcycle View Post

So it definitely helps, but also leaves me back at square one wondering what to upgrade to. The RC-10s are tempting and most definitely would be an upgrade, but I think they might be even more slightly recessed than the C-3s. I guess the search continues. If I could only find the Energy sound, but in something a little more foward, I would really be satisfied.

The RC-10's will not be more "forward" than the older C-series models. They have a smoother treble and richer, more refined sound, but they are not "forward" speakers at all. In fact, I think they will be LESS forward, although I've never heard the C-3's to be honest. My older C-2's (which my buddy still has) are definitely more forward and bright than the RC's.

If you want bookshelves with that caliber of refinement, but more forward, look into the Monitor Audio RS1 for sure. The MA RS line is really excellent, with a very forward, airy treble. I thought they were significantly better than the lower end Paradigms (Monitor series) which had a very bright "forward" treble but the high end tended to be much too harsh and tinny. You'd have to go up to the Studio 20's in the Paradigm line to get that kind of quality, but I think the RS1's are a better value and better looking too.
post #4068 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashiro81 View Post

can you post the link? or pm

Just go to the futureshop website, and go to the Flyer section, for the postal code, enter T2P2B3. It is the 3 Day Sale flyer. Price is 1499...
post #4069 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The RC-10's will not be more "forward" than the older C-series models. They have a smoother treble and richer, more refined sound, but they are not "forward" speakers at all. In fact, I think they will be LESS forward, although I've never heard the C-3's to be honest. My older C-2's (which my buddy still has) are definitely more forward and bright than the RC's.

If you want bookshelves with that caliber of refinement, but more forward, look into the Monitor Audio RS1 for sure. The MA RS line is really excellent, with a very forward, airy treble. I thought they were significantly better than the lower end Paradigms (Monitor series) which had a very bright "forward" treble but the high end tended to be much too harsh and tinny. You'd have to go up to the Studio 20's in the Paradigm line to get that kind of quality, but I think the RS1's are a better value and better looking too.

Thanks, Paradigm was one of the brands I was considering, specifically the Titan or more likely the Studio 20. The Monitors sound closer to what I'm thinking of, as long as the highs aren't too harsh or pronounced. I definitely don't want an overly bright speaker, but one that is rich, full and balanced. I demoed some Axioms a year or so ago, and they were too bright for me. The way I've been thinking of it is that it seems like the mids or upper mids need to be more forward, but I might be wrong. I've heard PSB B25s which seemed very middy and they sounded boxy and fake to me. It might just be more upper mids/low highs that give the sound in my head that I'm looking for. I guess I'll know it when I hear it. Maybe something in the B&W line? Another name that sticks in my head for no particular reason is MIssion (know nothing about them, will have to research) and also NHT, come to think of it. thanks
post #4070 of 51587
FS is really doing some weird things with their prices... RC-30 are now 749 each, RC-50 still 399 each...
post #4071 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan.Croft View Post

FS is really doing some weird things with their prices... RC-30 are now 749 each, RC-50 still 399 each...

Not really the 50's are selling for $399.00 each but if you scroll further down on the 30's you'll see the second speaker is free when you add it to your cart and the pair sell for $749.00.
BTW the 70's are $1249 each.
post #4072 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Not really the 50's are selling for $399.00 each but if you scroll further down on the 30's you'll see the second speaker is free when you add it to your cart and the pair sell for $749.00.
BTW the 70's are $1249 each.

I just checked the RC-30... The description for each of them state that they are single. I tried adding it to my cart and none of the RC-30's included the second speaker, and in each of the descriptions, it states that only 1 speaker is included....

The note at the bottom of the description is old. That is what it used to say when they were sold as pairs. It appears they just haven't removed the note yet, because a second speaker is not added, and they are no longer sold as pairs..
post #4073 of 51587
Two things are going on here. 1) FutureShop appears to be moving to a single vs pairs pricing strategy. 2) the Rosenut and Cherry finishes of ALL Energy speakers are now end-of-line and being cleared out. No wonder the FutureShop website is a bit of a mess...
post #4074 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post

FutureShop appears to be moving to a single vs pairs pricing strategy.

I appluade this. Makes it much simpler to buy 3 identical speakers for the LCR.
post #4075 of 51587
If you are going to replace your C-C3 and looking for a buyer, give me a PM.
post #4076 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post

Two things are going on here. 1) FutureShop appears to be moving to a single vs pairs pricing strategy. 2) the Rosenut and Cherry finishes of ALL Energy speakers are now end-of-line and being cleared out. No wonder the FutureShop website is a bit of a mess...

Yeah, I have heard they are phasing them out... They need to have a nice firesale on the RC-LCR before they are gone though
post #4077 of 51587
hi i'm from south africa

we still have stock of rc50's i wanted to know what is replacing them if they ar being phased out
also wanted to know how do the rc50's compare to the monitor audio, the b&w 683's, paradigm studio 60's

i will have to order the speakers so listening to them first is not possible
also buying a receiver so looking at cambridge audio 640r with 99 dvd player and also looking at marantz 7002

any advise would be greatly appreciated
cheers guys!!!
post #4078 of 51587
After being caught up in the FS web site speaker pricing mess myself, I got it in my head I wanted to buy RC-50s, but now I'm thinking I might as well just go for the 70s. Since they still retail $2499CAD for the pair at FS, I was thinking of going through Audio Advisor to get the pair for $1099US (still a great bargain). Those of you who have dealt with them, what is estimated shipping to Vancouver? And they are authorized correct? So I will get a valid receipt for full manufacture warranty? They arrive in mint condition yes? Also, since I am doing this I was wondering if I should go with RC-R's for sides or RC-Mini`s. I am moving to a smaller place and don't have the space for 6 towers anymore. I am keeping my RC30s/LCR and 1 pair of C-7s(now computer speakers), once I place the order for RC70s they will become my fronts and 30s go to the rear.

Thoughts??
post #4079 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

After being caught up in the FS web site speaker pricing mess myself, I got it in my head I wanted to buy RC-50s, but now I'm thinking I might as well just go for the 70s. Since they still retail $2499CAD for the pair at FS, I was thinking of going through Audio Advisor to get the pair for $1099US (still a great bargain). Those of you who have dealt with them, what is estimated shipping to Vancouver? And they are authorized correct? So I will get a valid receipt for full manufacture warranty? They arrive in mint condition yes? Also, since I am doing this I was wondering if I should go with RC-R's for sides or RC-Mini`s. I am moving to a smaller place and don't have the space for 6 towers anymore. I am keeping my RC30s/LCR and 1 pair of C-7s(now computer speakers), once I place the order for RC70s they will become my fronts and 30s go to the rear.

Thoughts??

The RC-70's at Audio Advisor are $1099 each, not per pair.
I bought my 70's from them; no problems. They are an authorized dealer.
You'd have to check with them re: shipping prices.
post #4080 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

The RC-70's at Audio Advisor are $1099 each, not per pair.

Oops, my bad. Maybe I will go with the 50s at FS then if they are $399ea ($800pair).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread