or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1368

post #41011 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I watched Hunger Games on BD as well and didn't experience the sound issues you're having. I wonder what happened to cause this. Was your copy a rental?
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7102/hunger_games.html
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hunger-Games-Blu-ray/40952/#Review
http://www.amazon.com/forum/blu-ray?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2R11KXGJPWBTU&cdThread=TxGQMKPUECCSBR

No, brand new from Amazon.ca. It was very odd. I'm going to try it again soon. Something just didn't seem right. I couldn't tell if something on the receiver was messed up, but movies since have been fine.
post #41012 of 51496
So far RC-LCR sound great - still in early stage of breaking in but definite and noticeable improvement over my old generic HTIB

Re Sub choice .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

You should be estatic, Rc-lcr is a great speaker. How big is your room ? And will it be primarily home theater ? If I were you, I would hold off on the sub until you can buy something good. .... The Klipsch is Ok, but I would imagine, it may leave you wanting more, and subs are hard to sell once you have them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post

Ummm....one step at a time....like asking waht size room he is trying to fill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nation View Post

I second the recommendation to save a little for a better sub.......

Sage advice from around here yet again.
I'm definitely on board with the "buy once, buy right" philosophy - certainly no point 'wasting' $300 on the Klipsch if it isn't going to perform on par with the rest of my new setup.

The challenge is a somewhat largeish space - the immediate listening area is only 1,760 cuft (17x 13 x 8) but left side is open to much larger kitchen/dining/entry/stair area of an additional 5,000 cuft (30x21x8) - I don't need or want thumping bass throughout and its also a townhouse set up and I like my neighbors smile.gif
I think I've got some reading to do over in the subwoofer forum !!
post #41013 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

My Crappy Energy S10.3 Sub LED replacement guide
I just took that sub apart this morning to replace the LED on the power module.
Its very easy to get into
From front:
four torx screws on control module
a. disconnect plastic connector for volume pot,
lay down pillow on floor or use soft surface
turn sub on its back. looses all the torx screws on the driver evenly.
disconnect connector for sub cable. (no need to disconnect the prongs from the driver connectors) You are free to set the sub to the side somewhere safe.
reach in and around, and follow led harness to circuit board.
work off led harness connector
unloop the wire and free from the clips, and you are free to remove control module.
take heat gun and melt down glue bond just enough to pull out the led,
Replace led harness into defuser (for pretty blue light)
make sure you seat it good in the difuser / logo plate.
I dont have a hot glue gun ( so I just picked off the old glue on the faulty led harness, wraped it around the top
used heat gun to melt it down , made nice glue blob-head.
reassemble everything.
test sub.
Fixed!

Did Energy supply you with the LED and approve of the Home repair? Seems to me I might have read that other Owners did get Energy's approval to do so. If not you just voided your Warranty, unless the repair can not be detected. Granted subs don't tend to go bad compaired to other Audio equipment so the gamble may have been worth it to you. Good chance the new LED will go out as well. I suspect the LED failure has nothing to do with the LED, but circuit design.
post #41014 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp View Post

I'm definitely on board with the "buy once, buy right" philosophy - certainly no point 'wasting' $300 on the Klipsch if it isn't going to perform on par with the rest of my new setup.
The challenge is a somewhat largeish space - the immediate listening area is only 1,760 cuft (17x 13 x 8) but left side is open to much larger kitchen/dining/entry/stair area of an additional 5,000 cuft (30x21x8) - I don't need or want thumping bass throughout and its also a townhouse set up and I like my neighbors smile.gif
I think I've got some reading to do over in the subwoofer forum !!

The thing is, with bass, you can't really buy once, buy right, as I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste. You say you don't need or want thumping bass throughout but once you get a good but modest sub that hints at what greater subs can do, you'll once again climb on the upgrade threadmill.

For example my living room is quite small at 1600 cu. ft. and I bought an SVS SB12-NSD, the smallest, sealed SVS sub. It's still quite capable and I'm amazed at what it does to both movies and music. Some songs are completely different once you can hear their bass lines properly. During movies, my GF once stood up thinking something crashed on the ceiling. Yet it's SVS's smallest offering. It's been less than a year and I'm already considering an upgrade, not because I'm not satisfied but because I want to know what happens when there's more of it.

You speak about thumping bass and I agree that it's not the main reason to have a sub. I don't listen to music or movies very loud in fact. But the low frequency rumbles really add to the atmosphere even when the goal is not to blow you out of your armchair.

So my advice would be to indeed read a bit about subs, save up for a good ID brand sub, and give it a try. You have a very large volume to fill so try to aim a bit higher that you would have at first thought. But keep in mind that you may want to upgrade in short order if you really like it. SVS may not represent the absolute best bang for the buck nowadays but they do have elegant subs and an excellent service. In particular, their upgrade policy (you can send back your sub at your cost but get full credit towards an upgrade in the first year of ownership) is really good if you're not sure which sub to get.
post #41015 of 51496
Quote:
Did Energy supply you with the LED and approve of the Home repair? Seems to me I might have read that other Owners did get Energy's approval to do so. If not you just voided your Warranty, unless the repair can not be detected. Granted subs don't tend to go bad compaired to other Audio equipment so the gamble may have been worth it to you. Good chance the new LED will go out as well. I suspect the LED failure has nothing to do with the LED, but circuit design.

The Energy s10.3 sub from Newegg only has a 1 year warranty, depending how long he's had the sub it may not be much of a risk. I don't think the LED going out is a big deal, I actually prefer mine out but others may want their bright LED.
post #41016 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

The thing is, with bass, you can't really buy once, buy right, as I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste. You say you don't need or want thumping bass throughout but once you get a good but modest sub that hints at what greater subs can do, you'll once again climb on the upgrade threadmill.
For example my living room is quite small at 1600 cu. ft. and I bought an SVS SB12-NSD, the smallest, sealed SVS sub. It's still quite capable and I'm amazed at what it does to both movies and music. Some songs are completely different once you can hear their bass lines properly. During movies, my GF once stood up thinking something crashed on the ceiling. Yet it's SVS's smallest offering. It's been less than a year and I'm already considering an upgrade, not because I'm not satisfied but because I want to know what happens when there's more of it.
You speak about thumping bass and I agree that it's not the main reason to have a sub. I don't listen to music or movies very loud in fact. But the low frequency rumbles really add to the atmosphere even when the goal is not to blow you out of your armchair.
So my advice would be to indeed read a bit about subs, save up for a good ID brand sub, and give it a try. You have a very large volume to fill so try to aim a bit higher that you would have at first thought. But keep in mind that you may want to upgrade in short order if you really like it. SVS may not represent the absolute best bang for the buck nowadays but they do have elegant subs and an excellent service. In particular, their upgrade policy (you can send back your sub at your cost but get full credit towards an upgrade in the first year of ownership) is really good if you're not sure which sub to get.

+1
I completely agree with the first paragraph. I think I went thru 5 different subs, most of them ID, before I stopped where I am now. I think once you decide if you prefer ported or sealed, it gets a little easier. Especially since the rc's sound great with both.
post #41017 of 51496
Hello all. I just got my RC-lcr I ordered from meijers and I love it... huge step up from using a phantom center.
Right now my front three speakers are rc-10x2 and LCR. I want to upgrade to towers and would love to have rc-30 but the only place I can find them is on eBay and they are $600.. my question is would the LCR be a comparable speaker to the rc-30? I can get 2 LCR for only 400$ right now. What would be the main difference between using LCR or rc-30 as mains?
post #41018 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

The thing is, with bass, you can't really buy once, buy right, as I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste. You say you don't need or want thumping bass throughout but once you get a good but modest sub that hints at what greater subs can do, you'll once again climb on the upgrade threadmill.
For example my living room is quite small at 1600 cu. ft. and I bought an SVS SB12-NSD, the smallest, sealed SVS sub. It's still quite capable and I'm amazed at what it does to both movies and music. Some songs are completely different once you can hear their bass lines properly. During movies, my GF once stood up thinking something crashed on the ceiling. Yet it's SVS's smallest offering. It's been less than a year and I'm already considering an upgrade, not because I'm not satisfied but because I want to know what happens when there's more of it.
You speak about thumping bass and I agree that it's not the main reason to have a sub. I don't listen to music or movies very loud in fact. But the low frequency rumbles really add to the atmosphere even when the goal is not to blow you out of your armchair.
So my advice would be to indeed read a bit about subs, save up for a good ID brand sub, and give it a try. You have a very large volume to fill so try to aim a bit higher that you would have at first thought. But keep in mind that you may want to upgrade in short order if you really like it. SVS may not represent the absolute best bang for the buck nowadays but they do have elegant subs and an excellent service. In particular, their upgrade policy (you can send back your sub at your cost but get full credit towards an upgrade in the first year of ownership) is really good if you're not sure which sub to get.

+1 also.

Funny, I bought dual PC12NSD's in the spring (coming from a small $75 sub), and really loved them. Having lived with them for quite a few months now...I decided to use the SVS upgrade policy (get a credit for your orig purchase in first year) and just got dual PC12-Plus's this weekend biggrin.gif I hope this is my last upgrade rolleyes.gif
post #41019 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post

+1 also.
Funny, I bought dual PC12NSD's in the spring (coming from a small $75 sub), and really loved them. Having lived with them for quite a few months now...I decided to use the SVS upgrade policy (get a credit for your orig purchase in first year) and just got dual PC12-Plus's this weekend biggrin.gif I hope this is my last upgrade rolleyes.gif

I hope you managed to test the new arrival properly. Of course every room is different so maybe your two PC12-NSDs were undersized for your listening area rolleyes.gif But I can't believe how two Pluses would sound, let alone two Ultras. I myself am planning on buying a second SB12 to help with bass uniformity across listening positions in the living room; but I hesitate between that and upgrading the SB12 to a PB12-Plus for about the same investment if I can sell the SB12 for $500 (which I guess would be rather easy).

The problem is that the upgrade policy don't hold for canadians purchasing their subs at sonicboomaudio.com (SVS's canadian distributor). I'm sure I'd love the Plus but that would do nothing for uniformity in my case. I do hope that a second SB12 will give me a bit more headroom to boost the low-end. But the SVS tool really recommends a Plus as a match with the RC-70s (yeah I'm trying to stay on-topic as this is not a sub thread biggrin.gif).

Anyway congrats on your upgrade, I just can't imagine how awesome would two PC12-Plus be in my living room (until my GF would roll both of them off in the driveway).
post #41020 of 51496
Neutro,

Yeah, I spent Friday night testing the pluses, using REW first, then Audy XT. Sound really good. I think the NSD's might have been a little undersized, as our theater area has a kitchenette also (in basement). Total of about 4800^ft open. Also, the PC12-pluses are currently $100 off...between that and the upgrade policy..figured why not smile.gif

You are for sure right on the uniformity. I first got a single NSD, but the uniformity was really an issue. The second made a great difference. Luckily the wife did not notice the extra 4" height of the PC pluses over the NSD's biggrin.gif
post #41021 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpa View Post

I think the NSD's might have been a little undersized, as our theater area has a kitchenette also (in basement). Total of about 4800^ft open.

Yeah that's a pretty big volume to fill. Do you have a whole year to upgrade to Ultras now? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Also, the PC12-pluses are currently $100 off...between that and the upgrade policy..figured why not smile.gif

A no-brainer indeed -- that rebate probably covers the cost of shipping the NSDs back. For Americans, the 5-year warranty and upgrade policies are really interesting I think. For Canadians, well they're about the only ID sub makers making business in Canada. Importing any other brand would cost hundreds, so they're also a no-brainer unless you plan on spending $2500 and above, in which case you're threading Funk Audio territory.
Quote:
You are for sure right on the uniformity. I first got a single NSD, but the uniformity was really an issue. The second made a great difference.

Well that encourages me even more to go the dual way...

I'm waiting for this month's credit card bill to see if I should click on "buy" now or a bit later smile.gif
post #41022 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlearn View Post

Hello all. I just got my RC-lcr I ordered from meijers and I love it... huge step up from using a phantom center.
Right now my front three speakers are rc-10x2 and LCR. I want to upgrade to towers and would love to have rc-30 but the only place I can find them is on eBay and they are $600.. my question is would the LCR be a comparable speaker to the rc-30? I can get 2 LCR for only 400$ right now. What would be the main difference between using LCR or rc-30 as mains?

Do you have a subwoofer in your setup? The RC-30's will give you better bass with the larger cabinet, but the LCR will likely have better detail with the true 3-way design.

If you dont have a sub, you may want the 30's to provide the lower end, but if you do, I would say go for the LCR's.

If it were me, I would get the LCR's for the killer price they're at now and the seamless front stage, and spend the money you save on a subwoofer like the energy S10.3 at newegg.
post #41023 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

If it were me, I would get the LCR's for the killer price they're at now and the seamless front stage, and spend the money you save on a subwoofer like the energy S10.3 at newegg.

+1000 on that. The RC-30 are cute but I'm not sure if the cabinet volume is even that much larger than an RC-LCR. The RC-30 may go a tad lower but if using a sub this is indeed a moot point, and the 3-way design of the RC-LCR and the seamless front stage will more than make up for that. IMHO the only downside to LCRs as mains is that they may require stands. At $200 the LCRs are a no brainer I'd say. At this price you can get two more for surrounds also smile.gif
post #41024 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

The thing is, with bass, you can't really buy once, buy right, as I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste. You say you don't need or want thumping bass throughout but once you get a good but modest sub that hints at what greater subs can do, you'll once again climb on the upgrade threadmill.
For example my living room is quite small at 1600 cu. ft. and I bought an SVS SB12-NSD, the smallest, sealed SVS sub. It's still quite capable and I'm amazed at what it does to both movies and music. Some songs are completely different once you can hear their bass lines properly. During movies, my GF once stood up thinking something crashed on the ceiling. Yet it's SVS's smallest offering. It's been less than a year and I'm already considering an upgrade, not because I'm not satisfied but because I want to know what happens when there's more of it.
You speak about thumping bass and I agree that it's not the main reason to have a sub. I don't listen to music or movies very loud in fact. But the low frequency rumbles really add to the atmosphere even when the goal is not to blow you out of your armchair.
So my advice would be to indeed read a bit about subs, save up for a good ID brand sub, and give it a try. You have a very large volume to fill so try to aim a bit higher that you would have at first thought. But keep in mind that you may want to upgrade in short order if you really like it. SVS may not represent the absolute best bang for the buck nowadays but they do have elegant subs and an excellent service. In particular, their upgrade policy (you can send back your sub at your cost but get full credit towards an upgrade in the first year of ownership) is really good if you're not sure which sub to get.

The thing is, no matter what you buy you will always be wondering about upgrading. I have dual Outlaws, a Plus and an EX, in a room that is about 4500 cubic feet with an open floor plan (kitchen and living room) and yeah I wonder what a 15" Hsu would sound like, but that is not to say I am not 110% completely satisfied with my setup. If I were you I would look closely at Outlaw subwoofers. I'm still pretty new to HT and am now on my 3rd speaker upgrade (Energy RC-70s, LCR, and VS surrounds) and have never considered upgrading the subs. If anything I would add another. Now I'm looking at upgrading my Sony 40" XBR4 to a Panasonic 55" VT50. They look amazing.
post #41025 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

The thing is, no matter what you buy you will always be wondering about upgrading.

Depends! I have no desire to upgrade my Energy RC setup to something else. They're already better speakers that I ever dreamed of owning, and I'm not audiophile enough that I could appreciate higher end speakers properly. I'm pretty sure if I ever upgrade it will be for the heck of it, or for the looks, not to get actual improvement on sound quality.
Quote:
If I were you I would look closely at Outlaw subwoofers.

They are very well reputed, as are most ID brands. But in Canada, the shipping / importing premium erases a good part of the appeal of american ID subs. SVS has a canadian ID distributor, and to my knowledge, they're almost alone in that position in Canada. If I had / when I will have more money to upgrade subs, things will be different. When closing on $2k I feel other options open up -- Funk Audio is canadian, for starters, so between a Funk 18.0 and a PB13-Ultra, I think I'd be tempted to try the Funk. And once you're ready to blow this kind of money on a sub, you might as well spend a bit more for getting a Submersive or a Captivator. But in Canada, keeping things well under $2k, I'd say SVS is the only game in town.

But if I ever go for the big guys I'll have to find somewhere else to put the HT setup. A dedicated HT / entertainment room is more pressing than monster subs now, and require considerably more investment in the form of heavy reno work in the basement. So, for the moment, I want to experience duals in a small living room, so barring an impromptu and interesting offer for my SB12, I'll just get another.
Quote:
I'm still pretty new to HT and am now on my 3rd speaker upgrade (Energy RC-70s, LCR, and VS surrounds) and have never considered upgrading the subs. If anything I would add another.
biggrin.gif I'd say that counts as an upgrade...
post #41026 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I would think that if you are going to use four RC-70s in an HT setup that you would want any additional speakers to timbre match.
BTW: Just one VTF-15H will significantly out perform dual sw-450s on SQ, SPL, and low frequency extension. No need to wait until you can afford two.

I was wondering if It would be worth the money to buy either V 5.1, V minis, or VS surrounds in monopole mode to replace the def tech pro monitor 1000s for height speakers? Also, what about a pair of VS surrounds to replace the def tech SR8080s? Will there be a noticeable change in sound quality?
post #41027 of 51496
Man there are some good deals in the AVS classifieds on some subwoofers. Local pickup especially.
post #41028 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

A big thank you to the person/people who recommended dire straits. I got my hands on the "brothers in arms" sacd. Very impressive. Eventually I will get the bluray. The only thing that sucks is that I ran out of belvedere tongue.gif. Gonna have to spike my drink with something else biggrin.gif.
You are welcome !!
post #41029 of 51496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Man there are some good deals in the AVS classifieds on some subwoofers. Local pickup especially.

Indeed! I wish I was "local" biggrin.gif
post #41030 of 51496
Finally snagged a pair of Veritas 2.2i's. What amazing sounding speakers they are. I thought it was strange though that the Veritas i manual says it was printed in China. confused.gif
post #41031 of 51496
Need help from the Energy experts...

Im setting up a small theater (11x16x9) and was pretty much set on going with the Energy V5.1, V5.2 and VS to go with my Outlaw sub in a 5.1 set-up. Went away for a few weeks and just saw that the V5.1's and VS surrounds are now sold out at Vanns.

Given the sale on RC-LCR's at Meijers, I'm considering using 3 across my front. The issue is that I'm placing these on a shelf under a projection screen so they need to be less than 14 inches high. The LCR's would only work if all three were placed horizontally. Reading the specs/reviews etc. it seems that this speaker may be ok in this set-up. Does anyone use 3 horizontally and could comment on the sound quality? If not, could someone who has three set them up horizontally and let me know if you hear any noticeable differences?

Also, I guess RC-R's are no longer available anywhere? Would RC-10's work? They would be placed within a few feet of the MLP. Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #41032 of 51496
LCR means left, center, right so yes they can be placed horizontally. In fact most of us who own the RC LCR use it as a horizontal center. 3 horizontal RC LCR's would be perfect.

RC-R's haven't been available for a very long time, years.

According to the Vanns website they have two VS Surrounds left in black, so if you want them you better buy now!

RC-10s will also work as surrounds and will be much cheaper, $219/pr vs $500.
post #41033 of 51496
Thanks afrogt!

I realize that most ppl use the LCR horizontally as a center but I expect this is generally out of convenience/space constraints. There seem to be a lot of threads/articles about the concerns of horizontally oriented speakers (especially M-T-M designs). It seems the LCR was designed to accomodate either orientation effectively (home theater review seems to confirm) so I guess this shouldnt be an issue.

I just called Vanns and they confirmed that they will not be receiving more of the veritas so this seems to be my best option, especially at the current price. I was sold on the piano black finish of the veritas line but hopefully the RCs will look and sound almost as nice.

Will a budget receiver (Denon 1713) be adequate for the LCR's?
post #41034 of 51496
yes, the RC-LCR specifically doesn't have an MTM design, the two diagonally mounted midranges are designed to work well in vertical or horizontal orientation without the dispersion issues of traditional MTM centers.

The 1713 will be more than adequate given the size of your room, the RC-LCR is quite easy to drive.

if you place them all horizontal below the screen I would strongly recommend tilting them up slightly to aim at the ears, this will help with the imaging and clarity.

the last note is that, considering how close you will be to the surrounds and the longish shape (I'm assuming the 11 is the width and the 16 is the depth of the theater?) I would try to go with wall-mounted bipole/dipole type surrounds.
post #41035 of 51496
Quote:
Will a budget receiver (Denon 1713) be adequate for the LCR's?

Yes, I have RC-10's and RC LCR with my Denon 591 so your 1713 will be enough.
post #41036 of 51496
Thanks a lot guys.

I guess I'll just go with the 3 LCRs for now and wait to see if more VS surrounds show up or maybe try to find some gently used RC-Rs. Otherwise I'll wait until there is a deal on CR-10 surrounds rather than try RC-10s. Let me know if you have any suggestions for any other reasonably priced surrounds that might work for me.
post #41037 of 51496
Massengil the energy veritas v are a discontinued product ,Just keep an eye on vanns sometimes they put some leftover back in stock ,But is very rare for that to happen at this point.also keep an eye on world wide stereo for discount ,They still have vs surrounds but at $299 each.


http://www.wwstereo.com/Search?query=veritas+vs
post #41038 of 51496
the energy s10.3 is $200 right now. i want to jump on it when it goes back to $180, if it ever goes that low again.

should i just jump on it now? looks like these subs are on their last few runs on newegg and i dont want to miss out.
post #41039 of 51496
Is it worth the $20 savings if you have to wait 3 months to get it? That's less than $7 month.

If I needed a new sub I'd buy it now at $200.
post #41040 of 51496
im actually already tired of waiting for $180. going to order now. feels good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread