or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1373

post #41161 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Complaining about the lack of RC model availability seems a bit weird when the line has been discontinued for several years. Once Klipsch took over, the fact that special arrangements were made with Future Shop and Vanns to get some additional RC stock speaks to the popularity of this Energy series. But, it should be looked at only as a nice bonus and a 2nd chance for those people who missed out on them before. And now with Audiovox calling the shots, it truly appears that the Energy name will no longer by synonymous with quality sound, but with lower level budget offerings only...

+1
post #41162 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Complaining about the lack of RC model availability seems a bit weird when the line has been discontinued for several years. Once Klipsch took over, the fact that special arrangements were made with Future Shop and Vanns to get some additional RC stock speaks to the popularity of this Energy series. But, it should be looked at only as a nice bonus and a 2nd chance for those people who missed out on them before. And now with Audiovox calling the shots, it truly appears that the Energy name will no longer by synonymous with quality sound, but with lower level budget offerings only...

Agreed. But in the end the RC line *is still being produced*! Why do they do it so bass-awkwardly? I mean they could ensure a stable supply and sell them internet-direct only. But why turn the faucet on and off like that? Energy also has distribution problems in Canada, where no one store carry all the Connoisseur line. In fact nowadays I'm not even sure it's possible to find CF-70s in Canada. Whereas if I were interested in Paradigm stuff I can just go to the local audio store and get what I want; worst case they will order the item for me if it's not in stock. I'm not sure if this is some kind of experiment but it's extremely frustrating for people who genuinely want the stuff. Either offer it or not! Fluctuations in price are also very maddening; people hold back their purchase in case the price would be slashed in half; or feel robbed when the stuff they bought a year ago is now available for 1/3 the original price.

As I said before, I love my RCs but acquiring the setup was one of the worst customer experience in my life.
post #41163 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Fluctuations in price are also very maddening; people hold back their purchase in case the price would be slashed in half; or feel robbed when the stuff they bought a year ago is now available for 1/3 the original price.
As I said before, I love my RCs but acquiring the setup was one of the worst customer experience in my life.

I always felt that this was the whole point behind this new Veritas line. An opportunity for Energy to correct their pricing and get out of the low price spiral they were in with RC clearance. The price for the Veritas here in Canada does indeed suck, but it does put Energy RC/Veritas back on par with similar offerings from other companies like Paradigm and their Studio line. However it seemed like it only took a year or so until they started slash and burn pricing again on the Veritas line in the US.

So in short, who the F knows what the hell the thought process was over at Energy (or whoever owns them now)
post #41164 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by --DANNY-- View Post

Just ordered a pair of V6.2 and a V5.2 for my living room. Excited to see how they compare to my 12 year old Veritas line-up of V2.2i mains, V2.0i center, and V2.1i surrounds.

I look forward to your comparison, please do report back with your impressions. On "paper" the V6.2 tower has superior specs but the V2.2i bookshelfs were truly wonderful speakers, with a full 3-way design and the full Veritas quality that Energy was (once) known for. They are almost like "mini towers" in a way. The consensus (as indicated above) would be that the newer Veritas will be a step down from your "i series" models, but do keep an open mind and let us know what you hear! smile.gif
post #41165 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Thank you neutro,
I do want to stress that these may not be the final measurements and that my listening space is not a dedicated HT room sealed off from the rest of the house. That being said a lot of people have living room HT's open to the rest of the house and I feel that this may give those that do not have the perfect dedicated HT reason to explore multiple subs.
As to your request. It seems that I got very lucky with this new listening space as my initial measurements are nearly as good with stereo subs next to the L&R speakers when measured at the MLP. I do have the feeling though that despite the close measurements at the MLP that I will subjectively prefer the quad subs. I say this because I believe I will find the measurements of quad vs dual subs to be more consistent for every seat in the room and perhaps sub localization may be almost impossible with quads. When I ran a single sub, I never got the feeling that small speakers like my surrounds were truly integrated with the low end from the sub. When I added a second sub at my previous home, I felt this was a huge improvement when a effect in the surround channels was supposed to be full range.
Stereo S10.3's!
stereosubs.jpg
biggrin.gif

When you say "stereo," do you mean you direct the bass from each main speaker individually to each front sub? Or do you mean you have two subs up front, next to your main speakers, but running off the (mono) LFE out from your receiver?
post #41166 of 51443
post #41167 of 51443
Quote:

It's about par for the course right now. I mean hell yes, it's a spectacular deal but it's not the only route.
post #41168 of 51443
Quote:

Its only 2 dollars cheaper than Vanns has at this time. Both places have free shipping, I would check to
see what return policy is with Worl Wide Stereo. Also check to see who pays return shipping if damaged.
post #41169 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Its only 2 dollars cheaper than Vanns has at this time. Both places have free shipping, I would check to
see what return policy is with Worl Wide Stereo. Also check to see who pays return shipping if damaged.

Thanks!
post #41170 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

When you say "stereo," do you mean you direct the bass from each main speaker individually to each front sub? Or do you mean you have two subs up front, next to your main speakers, but running off the (mono) LFE out from your receiver?

Sorry for the confusion. This is the mono sub out split to two 10.3's in a stereo configuration with one each next to my FL & FR speakers for that measurement. All four subs are connected from the avr's mono out to a Y splitter to miniDsp 2x4 which is currently only acting as a splitter for the two inputs coming in.
post #41171 of 51443
Quote:
WWstereo will ship to Canada. Vanns will not, so that IS a deal for some people!! smile.gif
post #41172 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Sorry for the confusion. This is the mono sub out split to two 10.3's in a stereo configuration with one each next to my FL & FR speakers for that measurement. All four subs are connected from the avr's mono out to a Y splitter to miniDsp 2x4 which is currently only acting as a splitter for the two inputs coming in.

Aha, thanks! Actually it confirms what little knowledge I have--I should expect that true stereo subs would not improve the response as well as properly-located mono subs, since stereo signals and output wouldn't be in phase (am I wrong about that?) In any case that's an admirable response and the fact that you achieve it with just duals, without EQ, is inspiring.

Next month. Next month I join the dual sub club.
post #41173 of 51443
Hey Guys -

I need to order a pair of wall mounts for my VS surrounds. Which mount do most people recommend? I was going to go with this 20 lb Omnimount version. Do they just screw directly into the speaker? Is there any need for the plastic mounting brackets that come with the speakers? I am missing one bracket and 2 rubber feet when I received them from Vann's last week, and Energy doesn't have these parts.

http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Stainless-Steel-Speaker-Mount/dp/B00013BNLQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348058024&sr=8-3&keywords=omnimount+speaker


When mounting, I was going to mount them against the wall that my couch is backed up against. I was planning on mounting them ear height or a bit higher. From what I have read here, this is the ideal mounting height.


As usual, thanks for your expertise.
post #41174 of 51443
I know Crutcfield doesn't carry the RC line... that's Vanns territory, or it was. But, they did sell the CF series. Well, it looks like that's not the case, anymore. They aren't listed on the Crutchfield website at all. Does anyone have an idea about the future of the Energy speaker line-up, what it is, and who can sell what? Is Energy heading for the Veritas series being the only line that has floor-standing speakers?
post #41175 of 51443
I decided to jump on the Meijers deal for the RC-LCRs so now I have three in the front and RC-10s as my surrounds and a S10.3 sub and everything sounds amazing.

What would be a good stand for the RC-LCRs for the fronts? Right now I'm looking at the Sanus NF24 Foundations Natural Series: http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-natural/NF24. Would this a good stand to support these speakers? Or is there another model or brand someone recommends?
post #41176 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerome View Post

I decided to jump on the Meijers deal for the RC-LCRs so now I have three in the front and RC-10s as my surrounds and a S10.3 sub and everything sounds amazing.
What would be a good stand for the RC-LCRs for the fronts? Right now I'm looking at the Sanus NF24 Foundations Natural Series: http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-natural/NF24. Would this a good stand to support these speakers? Or is there another model or brand someone recommends?

I had Sanus stands for a pair of CB-20's that looked just like that but in black. I wasn't that thrilled with them. One didn't sit perfectly flat on my hardwood floor. There were pretty light (although I think you can fill them) and there was no easy way to fasten the speakers to them. (had to use 2 sided foam tape)

I wouldn't want to put LCR's on them if you were going to stand them on their ends. Especially if you have little kids or pets.

If you were going to place them horizontally instead, maybe a couple stands meant for center channels with a wider plate to sit them on. It would also angle them slightly upward towards the listening position.
Edited by MuaySteve - 9/19/12 at 8:45am
post #41177 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Aha, thanks! Actually it confirms what little knowledge I have--I should expect that true stereo subs would not improve the response as well as properly-located mono subs, since stereo signals and output wouldn't be in phase (am I wrong about that?) In any case that's an admirable response and the fact that you achieve it with just duals, without EQ, is inspiring.
Next month. Next month I join the dual sub club.

A stereo signal could be in or out of phase. Funny thing is before I measured the stereo sub placement, I simply listened to it and the sound was horrible. I had to set one 180 degrees out of phase with the other (didn't matter which one) I don't no for sure if there is a issue with the phase knob on one sub and I actually put them in phase, or if my room is such that two subs with little separation on the same wall would end up 180 degrees out of phase. I may swap out subs as a control.
post #41178 of 51443
Looking for wall mount surround speaker to pair with RC-30 and LCR (all rosenut) in the fronts to setup 5.1, RC-R is discontinued, will the new Veritas surround a good match? any other options? Thanks.

EDIT: how about Veritas V-Mini (rosenut)? they would on the back wall of seating.
Edited by wlee1225 - 9/19/12 at 10:03am
post #41179 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerome View Post

I decided to jump on the Meijers deal for the RC-LCRs so now I have three in the front and RC-10s as my surrounds and a S10.3 sub and everything sounds amazing.
What would be a good stand for the RC-LCRs for the fronts? Right now I'm looking at the Sanus NF24 Foundations Natural Series: http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/speaker-foundations/sp-natural/NF24. Would this a good stand to support these speakers? Or is there another model or brand someone recommends?

I would go with the SF series. I have those and they are much more solid and I have the RC-LCR placed vertically.
post #41180 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

A stereo signal could be in or out of phase. Funny thing is before I measured the stereo sub placement, I simply listened to it and the sound was horrible. I had to set one 180 degrees out of phase with the other (didn't matter which one) I don't no for sure if there is a issue with the phase knob on one sub and I actually put them in phase, or if my room is such that two subs with little separation on the same wall would end up 180 degrees out of phase. I may swap out subs as a control.

Todd nice work with the Subs, looks like you are only around 20 miles or so from where I am in Washington State.
post #41181 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

Sorry for the confusion. This is the mono sub out split to two 10.3's in a stereo configuration with one each next to my FL & FR speakers for that measurement. All four subs are connected from the avr's mono out to a Y splitter to miniDsp 2x4 which is currently only acting as a splitter for the two inputs coming in.

I think you'd better refer to this configuration as "duals" instead of "stereo", because you're running two subs off a mono output. It is perfectly feasible to use two subs in a stereo arrangement (L/R) but I think this is more popular with music. If you do that (using the L/R outputs to drive two subs) then you must set your speakers to Large in the receiver options so that they get the whole frequency range + LFE channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Aha, thanks! Actually it confirms what little knowledge I have--I should expect that true stereo subs would not improve the response as well as properly-located mono subs, since stereo signals and output wouldn't be in phase (am I wrong about that?) In any case that's an admirable response and the fact that you achieve it with just duals, without EQ, is inspiring.
Next month. Next month I join the dual sub club.

I think the benefit from running stereo subs would be improved localization of bass, which would be most noticeable with crossovers way over 80 Hz. Obviously when running stereo subs you have to place them close to your mains. This is not necessarily the best position for HT applications so that's why stereo subs are mostly for music (vs dual mono subs).

I'm planning on joining the dual sub club next month too, if all goes well an no other major appliance fails in the house. I'll get a second SVS SB12 if all goes well. I haven't seen anyone regret going dual (vs buying a single, bigger sub) yet so that's encouraging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

A stereo signal could be in or out of phase. Funny thing is before I measured the stereo sub placement, I simply listened to it and the sound was horrible. I had to set one 180 degrees out of phase with the other (didn't matter which one) I don't no for sure if there is a issue with the phase knob on one sub and I actually put them in phase, or if my room is such that two subs with little separation on the same wall would end up 180 degrees out of phase. I may swap out subs as a control.

So you *did* have one sub out of phase? I commented on the video you took of the four subs when they were colocated and I wondered then if one of them was out of phase, judging by driver movement. Sometimes the drivers themselves are connected with reversed polarities in the subs. When running single subs this has no effect whatsoever but when two subs are brought together with opposed polarities they cancel each other. The fix is easy (180 degree phase switch, or opening the sub and swapping the connectors). A good way to know if any two subs are in phase is to stack them, and see if you gain +6 dB SPL when they're playing together vs alone. (They have to be co-located though -- if not, the gain might be lower since they would excite different room modes, i.e. their acoustic power are used differently to fill the room and provide bass uniformity instead of just providing more SPL at the listening position).
post #41182 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve View Post

I had Sanus stands for a pair of CB-20's that looked just like that but in black. I wasn't that thrilled with them. One didn't sit perfectly flat on my hardwood floor. There were pretty light (although I think you can fill them) and there was no easy way to fasten the speakers to them. (had to use 2 sided foam tape)
I wouldn't want to put LCR's on them if you were going to stand them on their ends. Especially if you have little kids or pets.
If you were going to place them horizontally instead, maybe a couple stands meant for center channels with a wider plate to sit them on. It would also angle them slightly upward towards the listening position.

Thanks for the info. I really liked the looks of these stands. It's disappointing that they won't be secure enough for those speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

I would go with the SF series. I have those and they are much more solid and I have the RC-LCR placed vertically.


I'll definitely look into them, thanks. I was hoping for a wood look but I guess it's more important that the speakers are secure. The last thing I want to do is tipping them over by accident because I'm clumsy...and I am unfortunately clumsy. redface.gif
post #41183 of 51443
So I posted a couple days ago about getting the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers with the S-10.3 sub. However, I just went to add the Energy's to my cart at Crutchfield and they are offering the Mirage OMNI S8 for $200. I can also get the S-10.3 for $199 at NewEgg so price is not an issue, but I am just wondering which would be a better fit for this system.

My needs will be about 60% TV and movies and 40% music.
post #41184 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1225 View Post

Looking for wall mount surround speaker to pair with RC-30 and LCR (all rosenut) in the fronts to setup 5.1, RC-R is discontinued, will the new Veritas surround a good match? any other options? Thanks.
EDIT: how about Veritas V-Mini (rosenut)? they would on the back wall of seating.

Like you said, the RC-R's would be ideal, but they are extremely hard to find and expensive when you can find them. The next best would be the VS surround.

If you want to go with minis for the lower price or size, you could use a pair of rc-mini's, a pair of rc-mini centers, or a pair of the v-minis or v-mini centers. Any of these should work well for your surround speakers. The rc-mini line would be preferred because it should match the timbre slightly better, but you likely wouldnt notice the difference too much going with the v-mini line. Also, the center channel speakers should have a fuller sound stage with the extra "woofer" and the slightly larger cabinet.
post #41185 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

I would go with the SF series. I have those and they are much more solid and I have the RC-LCR placed vertically.
Just wondering, do these stands need to be filled with sand or are they solid right out of the box?
post #41186 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post

So I posted a couple days ago about getting the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers with the S-10.3 sub. However, I just went to add the Energy's to my cart at Crutchfield and they are offering the Mirage OMNI S8 for $200. I can also get the S-10.3 for $199 at NewEgg so price is not an issue, but I am just wondering which would be a better fit for this system.

My needs will be about 60% TV and movies and 40% music.

the Mirage OMNI series are clones of the Energy SX.3 series, so the S8 = the S8.3 and the other sub (S10.3) is a step up (the 10 inch version compred to the 8 incher). For the same price go with the S10.3. They will essentially have identical "quality" but the S10.3 will play louder and lower.
post #41187 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Todd nice work with the Subs, looks like you are only around 20 miles or so from where I am in Washington State.

maybe we can arrange a time for you to listen if you're curious about the difference. smile.gif
post #41188 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post

So I posted a couple days ago about getting the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers with the S-10.3 sub. However, I just went to add the Energy's to my cart at Crutchfield and they are offering the Mirage OMNI S8 for $200. I can also get the S-10.3 for $199 at NewEgg so price is not an issue, but I am just wondering which would be a better fit for this system.
My needs will be about 60% TV and movies and 40% music.

Batpig beat me to it. They're really the same build but the S10.3 is the model one notch higher, so at the same price you should go with it. In fact if "price is not an issue" you could take two. Or four rolleyes.gif
post #41189 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1225 View Post

Looking for wall mount surround speaker to pair with RC-30 and LCR (all rosenut) in the fronts to setup 5.1, RC-R is discontinued, will the new Veritas surround a good match? any other options? Thanks.
EDIT: how about Veritas V-Mini (rosenut)? they would on the back wall of seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

Like you said, the RC-R's would be ideal, but they are extremely hard to find and expensive when you can find them. The next best would be the VS surround.
If you want to go with minis for the lower price or size, you could use a pair of rc-mini's, a pair of rc-mini centers, or a pair of the v-minis or v-mini centers. Any of these should work well for your surround speakers. The rc-mini line would be preferred because it should match the timbre slightly better, but you likely wouldnt notice the difference too much going with the v-mini line. Also, the center channel speakers should have a fuller sound stage with the extra "woofer" and the slightly larger cabinet.

Another option you may want to look into is the Mirage OMD5. I've used them as the rear channels with RC-10's up front and it is amazing how close the timbre is. They sound surprisingly good with multi-channel music and are great with movies.
Vanns is the only place that carries them and they are currently out of stock. However I confirmed with them two days ago that they are in fact getting more in. I did not confirm however if they are getting rosenut or just the piano black.
post #41190 of 51443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post

So I posted a couple days ago about getting the Energy Take Classic 5.0 speakers with the S-10.3 sub. However, I just went to add the Energy's to my cart at Crutchfield and they are offering the Mirage OMNI S8 for $200. I can also get the S-10.3 for $199 at NewEgg so price is not an issue, but I am just wondering which would be a better fit for this system.
My needs will be about 60% TV and movies and 40% music.

I have the Mirage S8, the Energy S8.3 and the Energy S10.3. You want the S10.3. I really like the other subs, and they do yeoman work in a couple of bedrooms, but the S10.3 (s - dual sub config in my living room) is great. Stayed small due to being in an apartment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread