or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1403

post #42061 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It'll sound OK from the middle seat, but from either end of the couch one surround will tend to dominate the other because you'll be so much closer to it. If they were spaced further apart the end seats would be better.

I must admit this is a good point, but would 32" on each side make much of a difference? And be worth patching the wall? kgallerie's suggestion to try the setup before going further is warranted I think. Just play a DTS, Dolby, THX or Datasat Digital trailer and listen in all three positions to see if it's okay like that. Move the speakers 32" on each side and repeat the operation to see if the situation is much better.
post #42062 of 51587
On a side note... It's so frustrating that there's no surround content on Youtube. It would make such tests so much easier. And since DTS, Dolby, THX and Datasat all put their trailer on Youtube (to gain a bit of exposure I guess), why on Earth don't they provide a HD download with surround soundtrack?
post #42063 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I must admit this is a good point, but would 32" on each side make much of a difference? And be worth patching the wall? kgallerie's suggestion to try the setup before going further is warranted I think. Just play a DTS, Dolby, THX or Datasat Digital trailer and listen in all three positions to see if it's okay like that. Move the speakers 32" on each side and repeat the operation to see if the situation is much better.

Actually, I can only move one more stud over on each side making each one only 16 more inches further from your ear, but a total of 32 inches more from speaker to speaker. (16 +16 =32). If anything, it may make the point even more moot.
post #42064 of 51587
Just curious, since the good prices are gone from Vanns, has the value gone up on the energy veritas speakers? Or will it go up in the future?
post #42065 of 51587
neutro:

The Fantasia DVD has a quick setup feature for testing your 5.1 system as well as some GREAT music in 5.1 of course. My go-to DVD is "Finding Nemo". LOVE the mine explosions and fishtank thumping scenes for enjoying the subs. If you've got kids, you've already got these. If not, you should get them (the DVD's. Kids are optional).

OR:

Download this:

http://jarrodchristman.com/AudioTestDVDv2.exe

It's a 200mb file. Click on it and it will extract.Then burn it to a DVD. It will give you a bunch of 5.1 tests.
post #42066 of 51587
just in case any one is looking for energy veritas vs surround speakers they are on sale at newegg for 199 each. i bought a pair from vanns a few months ago and paid 149 each . think it was a one day special. just bought another pair from newegg. great price under 400 for the pair. dont wait they will go fast.
post #42067 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

just in case any one is looking for energy veritas vs surround speakers they are on sale at newegg for 199 each. i bought a pair from vanns a few months ago and paid 149 each . think it was a one day special. just bought another pair from newegg. great price under 400 for the pair. dont wait they will go fast.

Yay! Looks like my wish may be coming true. Newegg has the whole Veritas line. Now we just have to watch for those Newegg discounts
post #42068 of 51587
Scratch that. Those are just WWStereo listings at Newegg frown.gif
post #42069 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Uranus View Post

Hi Guys -
I have a question on surround speaker distance. Everything I have been able to read tells me the surrounds should be further away, so not to overwhelm the listener. I have mounted only one at this point, but I think it might be too close to the center listening position. They are located 2 ft above my head when seated, with a distance of 5 ft away. As a reference, my front speakers are 10 ft from the listener.
Due to a door one one side, I only have the ability to go one more stud over. Is it worth patching the drywall and going over 16 inches on each side? That will increase the distance between the speakers another 32 inches, basically placing the speakers over the lamps shades.

Patching a couple small screw holes is easy and well worth it to properly position your speakers..... if the patch just doesn't blend in well, hang some artwork there...or better yet, put up a couple of decorative acoustic panels. They are supposed to be your surrounds, not your rear surrounds, so space them out as far as you can. And to be honest, in your photo they look be mounted a bit on the low side. Getting them up higher will help mitigate how close they are to the end seating positions on the couch and help spread the sound out into the room better...
Edited by deano86 - 11/19/12 at 5:33pm
post #42070 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fears4Ears View Post

neutro:
The Fantasia DVD has a quick setup feature for testing your 5.1 system as well as some GREAT music in 5.1 of course. My go-to DVD is "Finding Nemo". LOVE the mine explosions and fishtank thumping scenes for enjoying the subs. If you've got kids, you've already got these. If not, you should get them (the DVD's. Kids are optional).

Thanks for the hint about Fantasia. Of course I can pop in about any bluray I own but the DTS, Dolby, etc. trailers are just over the top with whirling sound effects all around, and they're only a few seconds long. Since they're basically ads for surround sound, I really wonder why they're not more widely distributed in frick'in surround sound!

By the way I'm in the process of watching Evangelion 1.11. Not really recommended for a general audience since it's a pretty bizarre anime, but for those of you who like the genre or watched the series in the 90's, it's okay, and it features interesting surround usage (it's in DTS 6.1). For example sometimes you have people in a crowd speaking in the back while we follow the main characters on the front stage. Pretty convincing effect. They also "extend" the stereo effect by playing the same content on the front and surround on the same side. Well I guess those tricks are not necessarily new but I admit it's the first time I notice them so clearly.

Come to think of it now that I reverted to a 5.1 system (due to furniture shuffling mandated by my GF), and now that my surrounds are properly positioned, I generally notice surround content way more than before rolleyes.gif
Quote:
OR:
Download this:
http://jarrodchristman.com/AudioTestDVDv2.exe
It's a 200mb file. Click on it and it will extract.Then burn it to a DVD. It will give you a bunch of 5.1 tests.

I'm a bit wary of launching a self-extracting archive on a random URL I admit... Anyway it's just that I heard the latest Datasat Digital trailer is awesome and I'm frustrated I can't find it in surround anywhere in surround. At least it got superb LFE smile.gif
post #42071 of 51587
You can email that company requesting a bluray copy of the trailer and they will send it to you free.
post #42072 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

You can email that company requesting a bluray copy of the trailer and they will send it to you free.

+1

I emailed them about it and they sent it a few weeks later (it was oos). Absolutely incredible. I just wish it was longer.
post #42073 of 51587
neutro:

I downloaded the file earlier today, clicked on it, and then my laptop burner happily made a DVD out of it. I then put it in my Blu-ray player. No viruses yet! Actually it was created by a forum member:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=742969

It allows you to pick different freqs or sweeps and tests your surrounds, sub, and phase. Not bad for free!

BTW: For anybody that would like to get into SACD's but don't want to spend the bucks on an OPPO, the Sony BDP-s390/s590 play SACD's! The Sony BDP-BX39 is available on Amazon right now, which is the same as the s390 but with a free HDMI cable. $89.99! So now I've got an s590, s570 (legacy component outs), an s270 (no wireless) and 2- SMP-N200's (same functtions but no Blu-ray/DVD). All have Netflix and Amazon and such but the SACD, DLNA, USB, Smartphone Remote, Wi-Fi, and the larger Netflix icons on the BDP-BX39 make it a real winner.

Wow! Checked out the Dataset link. Saw the fireflies and thought of the glow worms I found in my yard last night. Then the shooting stars reminded me of standing outside freezing hoping to see one tonight. Then I was reminded of the time I saw a UFO...but i digress. Thanks for the link!
post #42074 of 51587
erhurd and Sousa86 - I actually ended up placing an old computer tower on its side and set the tv on top of that (I knew id get use out of that old/fried computer some day haha). The speaker is sitting directly on the tv stand in front of the computer tower platform. It works nicely and the tv stand seems fine....i just hope it doesnt come crashing down one day because I cannot recall what the weight limit is! That is part of the reason why i decided to put the tv behind the center speaker instead of directly on it (so that the weight of the speaker and tv is more distributed instead of directly pressing down together at the same point).
post #42075 of 51587
Anyone have thoughts on mixing Connoisser and Veritas series? Looking at the Veritas V-S as my side surrounds and Connoisseur CR-10s for rears. Originally I was going with CR-10s for the sides and rears, however the V-S would work better in the area for the side surrounds for me.
post #42076 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post

erhurd and Sousa86 - I actually ended up placing an old computer tower on its side and set the tv on top of that (I knew id get use out of that old/fried computer some day haha). The speaker is sitting directly on the tv stand in front of the computer tower platform. It works nicely and the tv stand seems fine....i just hope it doesnt come crashing down one day because I cannot recall what the weight limit is! That is part of the reason why i decided to put the tv behind the center speaker instead of directly on it (so that the weight of the speaker and tv is more distributed instead of directly pressing down together at the same point).

Please share a photo to illustrate your solution.
post #42077 of 51587
Are the new Veritas speakers still the same quality? World Wide Audio has the v6.2 and the V5.2 center channel on sale i was thinking of upgrading. Any thoughts?
post #42078 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyence View Post

Anyone have thoughts on mixing Connoisser and Veritas series? Looking at the Veritas V-S as my side surrounds and Connoisseur CR-10s for rears. Originally I was going with CR-10s for the sides and rears, however the V-S would work better in the area for the side surrounds for me.

That'll work. I've been doing it myself. The only difference is I'm using the older veritas as surrounds, not the vs.
post #42079 of 51587
Kewl bat, thanks!
post #42080 of 51587
Potentially good news for Canadians. Probably last chance for RC-70's. Got a newsletter from Futureshop "Save over $1000 on a pair of tower speakers" with a picture of a pair of 70's. [ LINK ] . VIP in-store only sale on 22 Nov.

post #42081 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Potentially good news for Canadians. Probably last chance for RC-70's. Got a newsletter from Futureshop "Save over $1000 on a pair of tower speakers" with a picture of a pair of 70's. [ LINK ] . VIP in-store only sale on 22 Nov.
Those are v6.3s, which would put them at about $1150ish each.
Edited by brendelac - 11/20/12 at 6:06pm
post #42082 of 51587
oh yeah, you are right, I was at work and had 10 people around chatting and didn't really look closely at all. Saw black and assumed 70s since it was FS LOL !!!
Plus, I think they are around 1500 ea (3000 pr) so 1k off would be 2000 pr or 1000 ea... ish ... Prices used to be around 1800 ea as well
post #42083 of 51587
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Front sound stage of the same brand and model is very important to have, But surrounds from the same brand and model is not so critical.You should be fine with this Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround for only $125 a pair free shipping.Is $25 over your budget .Is very hard to found bipolar or dipolar speakers for $100.
http://fluance.com/product/AVBP2_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Satellite_Speakers.eng-79.html
I recommend dipole/bipole speakers because they are easy to wall-mount also they look better on the wall.

They only go down to 130hz, so I should set the crossover for them close to that right? I'm torn between these and RCR's, but they seem pricey. Would the RCR be enough of of an improvement to justify the cost difference?

Here's what I have now. RC70 mains, LCR center, RC10 surrounds, and RC50 front heights (yes, they're sitting on top of the 70's). I can't really do a normal 7.1 setup because my couch is against a side wall and only 2 feet from the back wall, and it's a small room. I was thinking of selling the 50's, move the 10's for front heights, and either the RCR or Fluance for surrounds. What would you suggest?
post #42084 of 51587
You don't mind uploading a pic of that setup do you?
post #42085 of 51587
Quote:
Here's what I have now. RC70 mains, LCR center, RC10 surrounds, and RC50 front heights (yes, they're sitting on top of the 70's). I can't really do a normal 7.1 setup because my couch is against a side wall and only 2 feet from the back wall, and it's a small room. I was thinking of selling the 50's, move the 10's for front heights, and either the RCR or Fluance for surrounds. What would you suggest?

I'm trying to figure out the point of heights if you stack RC-50's on top of your RC-70's.

Does your receiver allow Front Wide speakers?

Of course if you to decide sell your RC-50's you'll have no shortage of takers which is a plus for you!
post #42086 of 51587


As you can see, I'm not exactly an expert on speaker placement, but it looks cool at least! I took the bases off and put some black felt in between them. The TV is a 65" DLP for size reference.

Afrogt, I just stacked them for the hell of it. I was using the 50's as surrounds and the 10's were boxed up, but I thought that was a waste of speaker so I tried this. I got a Marantz 5006 so it does wides, but I dont have the space for it. My room is shaped really weird. From my couch, the ceiling slopes down to the back where the height is only maybe 4 feet, so I have the 10's right behind the couch driver side up. I was thinking by getting bipole/dipoles, I can mount them on the side walls where they're supposed to be.
post #42087 of 51587
Those rc-50 on top can be dangerous for little kids.
post #42088 of 51587
Yeah or drunken adults smile.gif
post #42089 of 51587
No kids, girlfriend has her own place, and I don't drink nearly enough to sumo wrestle the speakers. They're safe guys. biggrin.gif
Edited by gostillerz - 11/21/12 at 5:53pm
post #42090 of 51587
So Fry's will be selling the RC-70's for $350 each on Black Friday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread