or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1446

post #43351 of 51452
RC-LCR or the V5.2 center? Currently using the RC-70s for fronts. I'm looking at the v5.2 as they are available now and on sale. Is there a noticeable difference in those.

Also, I'm upgrading from a Bose Vcs-10. Please tell me I'll notice a difference with the energy over the bose. I can't seem to match the sound, I'm blaming it on my center!! Plus the dialogue is constantly flat and drowned out.
post #43352 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanG30 View Post

Nah, I don't need to save space. I was just wondering if the ESW-M8 was good or not. It seemed to be an expensive sub going for a good deal and I was originally under the impression that all Energy products were quality. What you guys have mentioned makes sense.

I'll look into the Polk PSW 250 and Klipsch RW-12d. Do you guys think they would integrate with my system well?
Pioneer VSX-1326k, RC-70 left & right, V5.2C center & rears.

I'm not a big audiophile, trust me there are a ton of people who know more about this stuff (Batpig being one of them). I'm not sure what you will be using the sub for more (movie, music etc) or how big the area is but, if your looking for a decent budget sub I have a Bic pl 200 and love it! (room size about 15x17x8 with one door way and 3panel windows on one side) I have it setup with rc-50,rc lcr, and now rc-10's for a 5.1 setup for movies. It's fantastic and I think I paid about 279 for a couple months back. If you go to the Bic america site you can make your best offer and they'll get back to you.

I've been told for music your better off with the energy s10.3 (again I'm just talking about budget subs there are tons better). Just do yourself a favor, it's something I've learned probing this and many other forums. Decide what your budget is going to be and try your best to get the most value your budget will allow for. I truely belive that the majority of the poeple on avsforms have the best intentions in mind when they recommend something. but if 250 is your budget then thats your budget. Sure for another 250 you can get another type of sub that will be alot better then the 250 one, but how long would it take for you to save for it? Times can be tight and maybe you won't have the extra cash for a long time. smile.gif just trying to save you some time before your lets say 500 dollar budget turns into 2,000 biggrin.gif lmao..
post #43353 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

just trying to save you some time before your lets say 500 dollar budget turns into 2,000 biggrin.gif lmao..

It's hopeless if Nathan keeps reading these forums, especially if he diggs into the subwoofer threads. It took me just a bit over one year to laugh out loud at the suggestion that I might drop above $500 into a subwoofer, to upgrading my $700 SVS SB12 for Dual SVS PC12-Pluses biggrin.gif
post #43354 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

It's hopeless if Nathan keeps reading these forums, especially if he diggs into the subwoofer threads. It took me just a bit over one year to laugh out loud at the suggestion that I might drop above $500 into a subwoofer, to upgrading my $700 SVS SB12 for Dual SVS PC12-Pluses biggrin.gif



That's how I ended up with:

Rc-50
rc-lcr
rc-10
bic plc200
and denon 1713

All because of avsforums.com, I never heard of any of this stuff till I got on this website. I blame batpig for the rc-50, afrogt for the rc-10 's and lcr. you If you guys aren't salesmen in your normal 9-5's you should be wink.gif lmao!
post #43355 of 51452
So I'm loving the V-5.2c's that I bought from WWStereo. Thanks again to this community for sharing that deal. I can't believe that it hasn't sold out yet. I'm starting to feel like it's a sign that I should buy two more... I can't fit them in my current arrangement, but I really want to.

Anyways, so now I'm looking at AVRs and I'm needing a little help. I have a Yamaha RX-V665 from 2009 that is powering the new fronts just fine but I'm getting attracted by all the new consumer features of the new AVRs. Most notably the built in airplay and iOS app control. I figure if I can get a good deal on a new AVR I can justify moving the Yamaha upstairs with two more V-5.2c's and run them off my PC in the office.

I initially started researching the standard Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer offerings in the ~$350 range but eventually talked myself out of it. That is, until I came across the Harmon/Kardon AVR 1700 for $200 @ Best Buy. It has the consumer features that I'm looking for but it's probably not any better than what I got for power output. In many ways it would be a step down but I don't really use the extra features of the Yamaha like zone 2 and preouts. I'm really just looking for something to tide me over until the 4K/UHD TVs become affordable. That is when I plan on investing a lot of money in my home theater. What do you guys think? Is there any other good deals out there?

Thanks in advance.
post #43356 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post

So I'm loving the V-5.2c's that I bought from WWStereo. Thanks again to this community for sharing that deal. I can't believe that it hasn't sold out yet. I'm starting to feel like it's a sign that I should buy two more... I can't fit them in my current arrangement, but I really want to.

Anyways, so now I'm looking at AVRs and I'm needing a little help. I have a Yamaha RX-V665 from 2009 that is powering the new fronts just fine but I'm getting attracted by all the new consumer features of the new AVRs. Most notably the built in airplay and iOS app control. I figure if I can get a good deal on a new AVR I can justify moving the Yamaha upstairs with two more V-5.2c's and run them off my PC in the office.

I initially started researching the standard Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer offerings in the ~$350 range but eventually talked myself out of it. That is, until I came across the Harmon/Kardon AVR 1700 for $200 @ Best Buy. It has the consumer features that I'm looking for but it's probably not any better than what I got for power output. In many ways it would be a step down but I don't really use the extra features of the Yamaha like zone 2 and preouts. I'm really just looking for something to tide me over until the 4K/UHD TVs become affordable. That is when I plan on investing a lot of money in my home theater. What do you guys think? Is there any other good deals out there?

Thanks in advance.
Don't have any experience with hk but it seems to be a good brand and from looking at the 1700s features that seems hard to beat.
post #43357 of 51452
Might get 3 V5.2's for a 3.1 Setup in my upstairs living room. Think they would sound good like that?
post #43358 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaudiophile View Post

RC-LCR or the V5.2 center? Currently using the RC-70s for fronts. I'm looking at the v5.2 as they are available now and on sale. Is there a noticeable difference in those.

Also, I'm upgrading from a Bose Vcs-10. Please tell me I'll notice a difference with the energy over the bose. I can't seem to match the sound, I'm blaming it on my center!! Plus the dialogue is constantly flat and drowned out.

Good lord that Bose is a piece of garbage! You'd be better off disconnecting it and running a "phantom" center from the RC-70s.

The RC-LCR is the perfect match but it's hard to find these days. The V center won't be a perfect march but it will be a million times better than your current center!
post #43359 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post

Might get 3 V5.2's for a 3.1 Setup in my upstairs living room. Think they would sound good like that?

Of course, why not? Do you think all these happy posts from people jumping on that deal aren't enough to convince you? biggrin.gif
post #43360 of 51452
I just moved into a new place, and my living room is not perfectly ideal. I am renting, so unfortunately I cannot make any serious modifications. The room has hardwood floors, so no running wire under the floor or baseboards. It is pre-wired for 5.1, but the wiring is in the ceiling (I guess it was set up for in-ceiling speakers). I have Veritas 6.2 as R/L up front, and a 5.2C for the center channel. I need to ceiling mount the rear speakers. I was going to go with a couple of V-Minis for the rear surrounds, which would be simple to mount as they come configured for mounting. However, afrogt suggested I consider getting a couple more 5.2Cs from WWStereo while they are running their current promotion. For about $100 more than a couple of V-Minis, that seems like a much better option, quality-wise.

I would like to take that path, however I am having trouble figuring out how to mount such large speakers to the ceiling. The 5.2C is 21.5 lbs, and is not set up for mounting.

First, how do you mount speakers that are not pre-configured for mounting? My first thought is just to drill a couple of holes in the back, but is that recommended? If not, is there another option?

Second, I've found some ceiling mounts online that are rated over 20 lbs, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks all!

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and pose this question to the larger community. If anyone has any V5.3c-specific advice, I would greatly appreciate it (such as where NOT to drill so as to not drill into the crossover).
Edited by wryan - 1/14/13 at 8:36pm
post #43361 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanG30 View Post

I ordered three rosenut V5.2c's, picked them up on Friday, set them up Friday and they came in without any issues! They sound phenomenal!
That was a great deal! I wish my RC-70's were in rosenut also. Ahh well.
as far as sound quality, which do you prefer between the two?
post #43362 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Of course, why not? Do you think all these happy posts from people jumping on that deal aren't enough to convince you? biggrin.gif

I keep wanting to jump on that deal, and I don't need any more speakers! biggrin.gif
post #43363 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post

Might get 3 V5.2's for a 3.1 Setup in my upstairs living room. Think they would sound good like that?

Certainly, I'm using one for a center and during my initial setup I was surprised at the amount of bass it was able to produce. I actually toned down the bass a bit from what my auto setup chose for the crossover. Love it as my center channel.
post #43364 of 51452
HI All,

Recently upgraded from Klipsch to RC 70's. Thrilled with the sound so far and can't wait for the break in to be done. Got a pair form Futureshop for $720 Canadian open box. I'm going to change the rest of the Klipsch to Energy. The RC series is impossible to find and the Veritas line is really expensive here in Canada. What would work better for a centre, cc 10 or V-Mini-C and for surround CB 10 or Mini V? The C series have larger drivers but the Mini's are probably closer to the RC 70's in style.

Thanks,

John
post #43365 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

as far as sound quality, which do you prefer between the two?

Well I can't say that I have had anywhere near the amount of time required to see which sound I prefer between the two. I've made a number of changes in my receiver and some tweaking to my system, i'm way happier with the sound i'm getting for music.

I'm using my RC-70s as my F - R&L and the three v5.2Cs as center and rears. I'd like to swap the RC-70s with the V5.2Cs and see what that sounds like.

I was testing out the system with a BluRay movie (300) but wasn't completely satisfied with the sound, I figure it should be a lot better. I'm not sure if I have my reciever setup quite correctly.

Cheers
post #43366 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

It's hopeless if Nathan keeps reading these forums, especially if he diggs into the subwoofer threads. It took me just a bit over one year to laugh out loud at the suggestion that I might drop above $500 into a subwoofer, to upgrading my $700 SVS SB12 for Dual SVS PC12-Pluses biggrin.gif
Yeah. im in the same boat after looking at the subwoofer threads...leading me to submersives or captivators....of course, this is all in my head and i dont think i can get myself to pull the trigger.......yet.
post #43367 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

HI All,

Recently upgraded from Klipsch to RC 70's. Thrilled with the sound so far and can't wait for the break in to be done. Got a pair form Futureshop for $720 Canadian open box. I'm going to change the rest of the Klipsch to Energy. The RC series is impossible to find and the Veritas line is really expensive here in Canada. What would work better for a centre, cc 10 or V-Mini-C and for surround CB 10 or Mini V? The C series have larger drivers but the Mini's are probably closer to the RC 70's in style.

Thanks,

John
What about another rc70 ?
post #43368 of 51452
Far too large. It's going to be either the cc 100 or the mini v. The cc 100 sounds alright, I've got it installed right now. The mini v because it is smaller would fit better in my rack. I might just have to try both out. The smaller drivers, 4.5 inches has me worried that it wouldn't keep up with the rc 70's. Does anyone here run the mini v with RC 70's?

Thanks
post #43369 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

Far too large. It's going to be either the cc 100 or the mini v. The cc 100 sounds alright, I've got it installed right now. The mini v because it is smaller would fit better in my rack. I might just have to try both out. The smaller drivers, 4.5 inches has me worried that it wouldn't keep up with the rc 70's. Does anyone here run the mini v with RC 70's?

Thanks

I did for some time. Eventually got tired of the "small" sound coming from it. In the end I raised my TV just so I could get the RCLCR
post #43370 of 51452
Anyone have any experience with the cc 10 and RC 70's? Any good suggestions for changing the angle up? My old Klipsch center had a screw to adjust the front height. I currently have a few small foam pads under the front to better aim in at the couch.

Thanks
post #43371 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

Anyone have any experience with the cc 10 and RC 70's? Any good suggestions for changing the angle up? My old Klipsch center had a screw to adjust the front height. I currently have a few small foam pads under the front to better aim in at the couch.

Thanks

If foam pads aren't thick enough to angle it up I recommend rubber door stoppers. That's what I use! I use a couple of small rubber pads in the back and then a pair of rubber door stoppers up front, which angles it up nicely.
post #43372 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

Anyone have any experience with the cc 10 and RC 70's? Any good suggestions for changing the angle up? My old Klipsch center had a screw to adjust the front height. I currently have a few small foam pads under the front to better aim in at the couch.

I used the CC-10 as a center with the RC-70s for a while and it did sound alright. The CC-10 is big enough not to feel "small". However the RC-LCR, as unavailable as it is, is a much better match timbre-wise, and is also smoother and an all-around better speaker (interestingly, it's a 3-way center, which is a bit rare).

As for angle... I think it was batpig (or was it Hank) that suggested using rubber doorstops. Cheap and effective.

EDIT: it was batpig.
post #43373 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If foam pads aren't thick enough to angle it up I recommend rubber door stoppers. That's what I use! I use a couple of small rubber pads in the back and then a pair of rubber door stoppers up front, which angles it up nicely.
Did you atleast cut them so that they don't stick out past the front of the center? tongue.gif I stacked some 2" diameter foam pads and tucked them under it so that you can't see them except from straight on.
post #43374 of 51452
No need, they are facing backwards. So the thickest part is up front. Nothing sticks out wink.gif
post #43375 of 51452
Thanks, I think I'll try some rubber door stops if I can fine some in black. The cc 10 seems to be good enough and I think I'll be adding the CB 10's for surrounds which can be had at Futureshop for $150 a pair right now. I already have an Energy Xl s10 sub. The RC 70's are amazing. Smooth, clear and very dynamic.
post #43376 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No need, they are facing backwards. So the thickest part is up front. Nothing sticks out wink.gif
It is a good idea. You must have it angled up quite a bit or the stops don't have much of an angle to them. I'm just thinking that a standard door stop placed completely under my center would raise the front about 1.5". Too much for my purpose. It would be pointing above my head. But if I cut it in half that might work.
Edited by Bond 007 - 1/15/13 at 1:25pm
post #43377 of 51452
I'm using "Auralex SpeakerDude" for my center and it works and looks good. There are different pads available for up to 8 degree angle.
post #43378 of 51452
the SpeakerDude / MoPads are a good option but much more expensive than rubber door stops. If you are willing to drop $40-50 on a solution then definitely they are the way to go as they are custom designed for this specific function.

I actually use MoPads for my L/R speakers (RC-10's) to angle them up as well because they are a bit low. I wish I had SpeakerDudes instead (just for aesthetics, because it would be one piece instead of two separate pieces) but I'm not willing to eat the $$$ to make the switch.

this photo shows the RC-LCR angled up with the door stops as well as the MoPads on the left/right speakers (although they were with the V2.1's I had for a bit):

post #43379 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryan View Post

I just moved into a new place, and my living room is not perfectly ideal. I am renting, so unfortunately I cannot make any serious modifications. The room has hardwood floors, so no running wire under the floor or baseboards. It is pre-wired for 5.1, but the wiring is in the ceiling (I guess it was set up for in-ceiling speakers). I have Veritas 6.2 as R/L up front, and a 5.2C for the center channel. I need to ceiling mount the rear speakers. I was going to go with a couple of V-Minis for the rear surrounds, which would be simple to mount as they come configured for mounting. However, afrogt suggested I consider getting a couple more 5.2Cs from WWStereo while they are running their current promotion. For about $100 more than a couple of V-Minis, that seems like a much better option, quality-wise.

I would like to take that path, however I am having trouble figuring out how to mount such large speakers to the ceiling. The 5.2C is 21.5 lbs, and is not set up for mounting.

First, how do you mount speakers that are not pre-configured for mounting? My first thought is just to drill a couple of holes in the back, but is that recommended? If not, is there another option?

Second, I've found some ceiling mounts online that are rated over 20 lbs, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks all!

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and pose this question to the larger community. If anyone has any V5.3c-specific advice, I would greatly appreciate it (such as where NOT to drill so as to not drill into the crossover).

After a couple of days of research, I am thinking about ceiling mounting the V5.2Cs with this: http://www.projectorpeople.com/accessories/proddtls.asp?itemid=23631 .

I know ceiling mounting a bookshelf speakers isn't ideal, but ceiling mounting is the only option I can figure for the room.

Does anyone have any experience drilling into one of these speakers? Anyone know what type of wood (MDF?) they are constructed from? Couldn't get an answer from Energy, and the manual isn't specific.

Thanks!
post #43380 of 51452
ignore
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread