or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1451

post #43501 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryan View Post

I'm thinking my plan B is to use the 20lbs-rated OmniMount ceiling mounts - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LHDV/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 - and attach a piece of wood to the back of the speaker via two of the existing holes, then screwing the metal plate that comes with the kit to that piece of wood.

I have spent a couple of hours searching the forums for an answer to this, but haven't come up with anything good. There is one guy on this thread who posted in May of last year about ceiling mounting a couple of V-Minis, so I sent him a PM.

Can you let me know what you hear?
post #43502 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

Thanks guys.
How do the V5.2s compare to the V2.1s? I'm guessing the latter is a higher quality speaker.

That is a RC-10 and a V2.1. There is no comparison to those two speakers. The V2.1 will beat it in every way in regards to sound.
I would imagine the same outcome between the V2.1 and the V5.2.
post #43503 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

It may be easier than that... first check the thread size against the v-mini when you get the omnimount, it might match. Even if it doesn't, one reviewer at amazon used an adapter:

Thanks! I actually saw that same post and did a little research - turns out the thread on the back of the V-mini is smaller than 1/4", and uses a metric size, whereas, the smallest OmniMount ceiling bracket uses the 1/4" referred to in the post you found for us (thanks again btw). I looked into adapters, and what found that unfortunately those great tripod adapters that some use to convert mounts to their speakers' threads use american sizes, and seem to be 1/4" minimum. So the problem is that with the mount using American sizing, and the speaker using metric, adapters that fit one side don't fit the other. So really the only option on that route is to custom-machine an adapter.

Tonight I took a stab at one solution I thought of. Pretty simple really. It looks janky as is, but I was just trying it out to see how it would work. If I can't come up with something better, I'll cut another piece of wood to fit the bracket a bit better, cut it less thick, and paint it black. I'm also waiting on some binding post plates to come in from Monoprice, so as soon as I get those I'll install them on the ceiling as well. Finally, I think I will paint the steel black as well.

So these are OmniMount 20.0Cs, with a piece of 1x2. I simply drilled a hole through the wood, and countersunk the screw from the mount that was included with the speaker and screwed it into the speaker. Then I used the screws included in the OmniMount kit to screw the metal plate to the wood, then I was good to go.



post #43504 of 51590
Hi all, Got a pair of RC 70's open box return item from Futureshop for $360 each. Loving them so far. The rest of the RC line can't be bought new here in Canada so I went with the cc 10 for a centre and cb 10's for surrounds. So far it sounds great. Now I've found someone on kijiji will with deliver a pair of rc 10's with stands for $300. I was thinking of returning the c series stuff and pulling the trigger and getting the rc 10's. Should I just run a 4.1 system until I eventually find a matching centre, (that may take a long while) or run a 5.1 with the veritas V-Mini LCR?
Gaining a lot of knowledge from this thread.

Thanks
post #43505 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryan View Post

Thanks! I actually saw that same post and did a little research - turns out the thread on the back of the V-mini is smaller than 1/4", and uses a metric size, whereas, the smallest OmniMount ceiling bracket uses the 1/4" referred to in the post you found for us (thanks again btw). I looked into adapters, and what found that unfortunately those great tripod adapters that some use to convert mounts to their speakers' threads use american sizes, and seem to be 1/4" minimum. So the problem is that with the mount using American sizing, and the speaker using metric, adapters that fit one side don't fit the other. So really the only option on that route is to custom-machine an adapter.

Tonight I took a stab at one solution I thought of. Pretty simple really. It looks janky as is, but I was just trying it out to see how it would work. If I can't come up with something better, I'll cut another piece of wood to fit the bracket a bit better, cut it less thick, and paint it black. I'm also waiting on some binding post plates to come in from Monoprice, so as soon as I get those I'll install them on the ceiling as well. Finally, I think I will paint the steel black as well.

So these are OmniMount 20.0Cs, with a piece of 1x2. I simply drilled a hole through the wood, and countersunk the screw from the mount that was included with the speaker and screwed it into the speaker. Then I used the screws included in the OmniMount kit to screw the metal plate to the wood, then I was good to go.




That's not too bad. Are you not able to drill into the speaker cabinet itself? I don't know the rules on that sort of thing.
post #43506 of 51590
Nice work wryan. Doesn't even look that janky; if you paint the wood black it will be basically insvisible.
post #43507 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

Hi all, Got a pair of RC 70's open box return item from Futureshop for $360 each. Loving them so far. The rest of the RC line can't be bought new here in Canada so I went with the cc 10 for a centre and cb 10's for surrounds. So far it sounds great. Now I've found someone on kijiji will with deliver a pair of rc 10's with stands for $300. I was thinking of returning the c series stuff and pulling the trigger and getting the rc 10's. Should I just run a 4.1 system until I eventually find a matching centre, (that may take a long while) or run a 5.1 with the veritas V-Mini LCR?
Gaining a lot of knowledge from this thread.

Thanks

Do you have room to stand one of the RC-10s up as a center channel? That would probably give you a better matching front sound stage, and then keep the CB-10s for the rear. And maybe someone on here would want the other RC-10 for the same reason. Might be easy to sell.
post #43508 of 51590
You could even lay the RC-10 on its side as a center. I did that for a few days with my pair just to try it out, they still sound great.
post #43509 of 51590
I have nothing special to add, just wanted to share a picture of my setup. RC-70 fronts, RC-10 front presence, RC-LCR center, SVS PC-12 NSD sub, Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver. I also have 2 white Take surrounds mounted on the side walls. Cheers.

post #43510 of 51590
^^^

Im also with cel4145 and afrogt recommendation : a RC-10 is a way better match.
post #43511 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

That's not too bad. Are you not able to drill into the speaker cabinet itself? I don't know the rules on that sort of thing.

From what I gather, it's ok to drill into the speaker if you are willing to do so. However, with the OmniMount 20 the metal bracket doesn't fit anywhere on the back of the v-mini flat. You'll either cover the port (which would also keep the bracket from lying flat on the speaker), or you'll partially cover the port and be touching the posts. You won't want to touch the posts because you'll then be conducting power between + and - .

I'm guessing that the OmniMount 10 has a smaller bracket, and you may be able to drill that one directly. The reason I didn't go with that is that I didn't feel comfortable mounting these speakers to those and positioning them at an angle. I kept reading that they shouldn't be rated at 10 lbs, but more like 5 lbs.
post #43512 of 51590
The audio gods are smiling on me. The guy selling the RC 10's has a RC-LCR he's willing to sell. He didn't have them advertised but I asked and I'm getting the pair of RC 10's with stands and the RC-RCL delivered to my door for a great price. Going to go great the the RC 70's. Bought the wife flowers.

Thanks
post #43513 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

The audio gods are smiling on me. The guy selling the RC 10's has a RC-LCR he's willing to sell. He didn't have them advertised but I asked and I'm getting the pair of RC 10's with stands and the RC-RCL delivered to my door for a great price. Going to go great the the RC 70's. Bought the wife flowers.

Thanks

Congratulations...and good thinking on the flowers. smile.gif
post #43514 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

The audio gods are smiling on me. The guy selling the RC 10's has a RC-LCR he's willing to sell. He didn't have them advertised but I asked and I'm getting the pair of RC 10's with stands and the RC-RCL delivered to my door for a great price. Going to go great the the RC 70's. Bought the wife flowers.

Thanks
Thats a great set up! Enjoy!!
post #43515 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

The audio gods are smiling on me. The guy selling the RC 10's has a RC-LCR he's willing to sell. He didn't have them advertised but I asked and I'm getting the pair of RC 10's with stands and the RC-RCL delivered to my door for a great price. Going to go great the the RC 70's. Bought the wife flowers.

Thanks

You lucky dog biggrin.gif
post #43516 of 51590
Here's on odd question:

I have a set of Energy Take 2 speakers from the mid/late 90's. I bought them new, and they've been well cared for since. However, the strangest thing happened a few years ago. All four satellites and the center unsealed themselves. In other words, the front panels with the drivers just drop right out of the boxs. Like the adhesive which had been in there just stopped working. Crazy.

Anyone else experience this?
post #43517 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaudiophile View Post

I'm currently using the RC-70s for my fronts, looking at the DefTech BP8080STs. Any thoughts? Are they worth it? They have subs built in, along with their center, it too has a built in sub.

I know this was posted a bit back (I'm working my way to the 'present day' from about a month back...!) -- but I thought I'd chime in here.
I finally have a pair of Energy Audissey APS5+2's, which I had been seeking out for years, and are [in a lot of ways] just like the DT speakers -- bipolar, integrated subs...mine are just back from 1997, and Energy brand. Depending on which DT speakers you're looking at, the integrated subs might be larger in the DT -- my APS5+2's have 2 8" powered subs per speaker...I think the DT's can have 10" or 12" (not sure about the latter).

Anyway, Batpig is pretty much on the money (as he always is): the speakers sound great, and they throw quite a big soundstage.
He is also correct, however, in that the integrated subs, by themselves, aren't a substitute for a high-end dedicated sub.
That being said, if you're not hell-bent on getting absolutely amazing bass, you could get the DT's and be without a dedicated sub. With my speakers at least, it wasn't so much about output (the knob on each powered sub is literally at only a '2' on a scale of '10'), but the quality of the bass was definitely not on-par with a high quality dedicated sub ... it was a bit boomy.
Audyssey calibration (XT32 in my case) did help fix that quite a bit though.

Without rambling for too much longer, the DT's, I think, are likely great speakers -- if I'm correct in saying that they're fairly comparable to my Energy model. I've found that I do like the bipolar design, but it will be a preference...
...I found myself liking them much more for movies & games, but missing some of the "directness" of regular direct-radiating speakers when listening to music (at times). At other times, I loved the spread out soundstage in music too, though.

If you really, really want the best of both worlds...depending on where you live...you can look for some older, used Veritas speakers. I spent more on my Veritas 2.2i's than I did on my APS 5+2's...which by looking at them you'd think would be ridiculous...
...but the 2.2i's have an AMAZING soundstage, even significantly surpassing the bipolar designed A5+2's...have the 'pinpoint accuracy' of direct radiating -- AND sound substantially smoother. Extremely, extremely impressive. They sound so good, to the point where I wish I would have just spent the money on some older Veritas speakers long ago & been "done" -- but then again, funds change over time, as do living environments, and I don't think I could have afforded (or accommodated!) such speakers in the past. smile.gif
That being said, the older veritas' might be harder to track down; I'm in southern California, so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard...but try out craigslist! smile.gif

The only downside to any smaller veritas, is you will need a sub (maybe not needed with the DT's, depending on how critical you are). I still haven't ran Audyssey with my 2.2i's, so I've been listening to them in Pure Direct mode on my Denon. Amazing sound, but they [understandably] can't go as low as much larger speakers, or a dedicated sub.

Hope this is of some help to the OP, and anyone else in gauging what type of jumps in sound some different types of speakers might make. smile.gif
post #43518 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I actually agree with Dustin, some of these topics are "obvious" to the regulars on this thread but for newcomers it's not always clear what the current status of the brand and the major product lines is.

It's typical on forums like these to chide people to search before asking, but as Dustin notes the search utilities make it difficult to come across accurate and specific information on more open ended topics like this.

I thought this was funny to reply to, as I've been spending hours going through the last month or so...trying to get caught up. I had asked questions along the line (I think), and hate to re-ask, so I'm trying to get caught up in happenings.
I've laughed more than once along the way at some "Audio Nirvana-related" postings. wink.gif

But yeah...this thread is extremely hard to wade through: if I ask a question, and don't check back constantly, I never know if I accidentally missed the response, or needed to revisit it...since I'm guessing the same holds true for people who often answer the questions (they get missed).

Overall though...
I. Love. This. Thread.
Even if I mostly just look at / for 'vintage' gear. wink.gif
post #43519 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nash View Post

Here's on odd question:

I have a set of Energy Take 2 speakers from the mid/late 90's. I bought them new, and they've been well cared for since. However, the strangest thing happened a few years ago. All four satellites and the center unsealed themselves. In other words, the front panels with the drivers just drop right out of the boxs. Like the adhesive which had been in there just stopped working. Crazy.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I have experienced this too. The front bezel begins to separate from the speaker cabinet over time and eventually pops out completely. I have lots of experience with these speakers; a good friend has a pair as surrounds. And I've bought a few sets used off craigslist to hook up friends with setups. Actually more of them have experienced this separation than haven't in my experience.
post #43520 of 51590
One more question. Some articles mention the RC series often getting into the 4 ohm territory. I'll be running everything off an Onkyo 609. Anyone have any experience with the RC's and this or a similar AVR?

Thanks
post #43521 of 51590
what kinds of mounts would be recommended for a pair of rc-10's?

Thanks

edit: i'm thinking of making my own angled mount panels and anchoring them to my wall, but just wanted to get a few ideas of ready made options before i go the DIY route, as i did with my subs wink.gif
post #43522 of 51590
Energy/API/Athena Macromounts if you can find them.


Also Omnimount makes a speaker mount that works with the RC-10 and holds up to 20lbs.
http://www.omnimount.com/products/speaker_mounts_and_stands/speaker_mounts/stainless_steel_series/20.0_w/

The RC-10 has a 3/8" 16 thread insert on the back so just find a bracket that uses thread pattern.

Or you can get a universal side clamping wall mount like the Pinpoint AM40 or VideoSecu bracket.
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-3LH/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358634428&sr=8-2&keywords=pinpoint+am40

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358634428&sr=8-1&keywords=pinpoint+am40
post #43523 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wryan View Post

Thanks! I actually saw that same post and did a little research - turns out the thread on the back of the V-mini is smaller than 1/4", and uses a metric size, whereas, the smallest OmniMount ceiling bracket uses the 1/4" referred to in the post you found for us (thanks again btw). I looked into adapters, and what found that unfortunately those great tripod adapters that some use to convert mounts to their speakers' threads use american sizes, and seem to be 1/4" minimum. So the problem is that with the mount using American sizing, and the speaker using metric, adapters that fit one side don't fit the other. So really the only option on that route is to custom-machine an adapter.

Tonight I took a stab at one solution I thought of. Pretty simple really. It looks janky as is, but I was just trying it out to see how it would work. If I can't come up with something better, I'll cut another piece of wood to fit the bracket a bit better, cut it less thick, and paint it black. I'm also waiting on some binding post plates to come in from Monoprice, so as soon as I get those I'll install them on the ceiling as well. Finally, I think I will paint the steel black as well.

So these are OmniMount 20.0Cs, with a piece of 1x2. I simply drilled a hole through the wood, and countersunk the screw from the mount that was included with the speaker and screwed it into the speaker. Then I used the screws included in the OmniMount kit to screw the metal plate to the wood, then I was good to go.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Wow, that actually looks pretty clean. Nice job!
post #43524 of 51590
very nice!!!! I like it smile.gif

do you have the cover for the outlet box?
post #43525 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Yes, I have experienced this too. The front bezel begins to separate from the speaker cabinet over time and eventually pops out completely. I have lots of experience with these speakers; a good friend has a pair as surrounds. And I've bought a few sets used off craigslist to hook up friends with setups. Actually more of them have experienced this separation than haven't in my experience.

Wow. Thanks for that info. Good to know I wasn't some lone, unlucky sole. I actually Gorilla-glued two of the speakers back together, for the time being. But, I'm going to be replacing everything with some new, better pieces soon. Likely, I'll be starting with a set of Monitor Audio Silver RX2 speakers for mains, and I'll slowly build up from there. By the way, in no small part due to your fantastic work, I bought a Denon 2113CI to run the show. It's still boxed up, waiting for new speakers!
post #43526 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

I have nothing special to add, just wanted to share a picture of my setup. RC-70 fronts, RC-10 front presence, RC-LCR center, SVS PC-12 NSD sub, Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver. I also have 2 white Take surrounds mounted on the side walls. Cheers.


Looks nice but out of curiosity, what kind of "presence" can the RC-10s add sitting basically underneath the front main speakers? Aren't presence speakers essentially height speakers that generate ambiance to make the room feel larger? I can't imagine that they are doing much of anything in their current location.

Anyway, looks good!
post #43527 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post

If you really, really want the best of both worlds...depending on where you live...you can look for some older, used Veritas speakers. I spent more on my Veritas 2.2i's than I did on my APS 5+2's...which by looking at them you'd think would be ridiculous...
...but the 2.2i's have an AMAZING soundstage, even significantly surpassing the bipolar designed A5+2's...have the 'pinpoint accuracy' of direct radiating -- AND sound substantially smoother. Extremely, extremely impressive. They sound so good, to the point where I wish I would have just spent the money on some older Veritas speakers long ago & been "done" -- but then again, funds change over time, as do living environments, and I don't think I could have afforded (or accommodated!) such speakers in the past. smile.gif
That being said, the older veritas' might be harder to track down; I'm in southern California, so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard...but try out craigslist! :

So I take it you aren't regretting the Veritas purchase?

Those "real" Veritas are truly amazing speakers, especially considering the price they can be had used. I think your comment of "best of both worlds" really sums it up well. They are no compromise speakers. As detailed and transparent as you could want while still being incredibly smooth, you can play them as loud as you want without any hint of harshness. Not like the RCs where the "laid back" sound comes at the expense of that holographic transparency. I was shocked at how much better the V2.1s were than the RC-10s; they basically preserved everything I like about the RC-10s while "fixing" everything that I didn't like. I can only imagine how good the V2.2s sound (or the tower versions).

One of these days though I will own the original Veritas. I need a bigger house first though tongue.gif
post #43528 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

So I take it you aren't regretting the Veritas purchase?

Those "real" Veritas are truly amazing speakers, especially considering the price they can be had used. I think your comment of "best of both worlds" really sums it up well. They are no compromise speakers. As detailed and transparent as you could want while still being incredibly smooth, you can play them as loud as you want without any hint of harshness. Not like the RCs where the "laid back" sound comes at the expense of that holographic transparency. I was shocked at how much better the V2.1s were than the RC-10s; they basically preserved everything I like about the RC-10s while "fixing" everything that I didn't like. I can only imagine how good the V2.2s sound (or the tower versions).

One of these days though I will own the original Veritas. I need a bigger house first though tongue.gif

Haha, yeah...I'm really pleased with them. Sometimes I get a twang of guilt, as I really didn't "need" them -- but you're right...for the relatively modest price I bought them used for, they're amazing. I really do love the used market for buying. Everything I've gotten over the years has been used Energy, all with the guidance of this thread...and I'm super-pleased with the outcomes.

The used market, however, has been difficult in sales (of course). Still have my rosewood finish C-8's up on craigslist. Honestly not in any hurry to sell them, but it would be nice to recover some of the cost that was involved in purchasing the 2.2's. Here's my ad...do you think my asking price is reasonable?
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3482053967
I remember Hank saying he wouldn't part with his C-8's for any less than $400, and that he thought my finish might be able to warrant more (they are beautiful!)...I just don't have any room for more speakers at this point...two rooms in my house are decked out to the gills with Energy!
(Though I'm sure I still can't claim 'audio Nirvana'...as I'm sure I don't have enough 'power' wink.gif )

I'll be happy the day you get a pair of legacy veritas again...for all your knowledge and zeal for Energy, you definitely deserve them! I've never heard the towers, but am more than happy with my 'bookshelf' 2.2i's. Especially once I get everything calibrated via Audyssey; have been holding off, knowing that 'sometime soon' I'm hanging pictures in that room.

Out of curiosity, do you think my Onkyo 797 would power the 2.2's sufficiently? I ask only because I've been spending so much time in my 'office' working, that it'd be great to be able to listen to them more. But I do LOVE their sound on the 4311.

LASTLY...a quick Audyssey question -- if I recalibrate, does the receiver automatically include 'B' speakers in the calibration process (since the 2.2's are set on dedicated 2ch duty)?

You sold off your 2.1's more due to the matching aesthetics more than anything, right? They were beautiful...but like you mentioned -- you MADE furniture to match your RC-10's! smile.gif

Hank...you still working on those comparisons with your new beast-vintage Energy titans? smile.gif I remember you mentioning you were going to compare to RC-70's, etc. I haven't even heard the newer Energy line, but am always interested in hearing. smile.gif
post #43529 of 51590
I had bi-amped my RC-70's and it did seem to change the sound but it didn't seem as natural to me as it was more bassy. Then it could have just been Audyssey messing too much with the EQ as I wasn't running a sub at the time.1.gif
post #43530 of 51590
Quote:
Originally Posted by durhambird View Post

One more question. Some articles mention the RC series often getting into the 4 ohm territory. I'll be running everything off an Onkyo 609. Anyone have any experience with the RC's and this or a similar AVR?

Thanks

Check your manual, but from what I can find you should be mindful of the 6 ohm limitation of your receiver. If you like to listen at loud to very loud volume levels, it would be a concern that you probably want to be aware of. Once some receivers get tripped from an undeliverable power demand, they will not function properly afterwards and will shut down and behave differently. If you don't listen at really loud levels that are obviously testing or stressing the receiver, I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy what you have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread