or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1483

post #44461 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

believe me i want to,BUT i just can't convince myself into doing so. for the following reasons:

-my experience with UPS is they suck big time ie;handling of pkgs...

-no double boxed....

-imho would be a hassle to go through a damage claim...

and finally my primary listening is 90% movies, and 10% 2ch music. (maybe an hours worth a week of casual listening) i have a killer sub to handle all lower freq's.

If your doing very little music listening then good choice not getting them unless you moved these to fronts and the 50;s to sides for movies.. My guess
you already have a 5.1 anyways. UN55B8500 will be delivered on Wendsaday morning.
Edited by baron2 - 2/18/13 at 5:02pm
post #44462 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

So it means the Rc 70 is not good for movies?


From all that people say about the RC-70's is that there clarity makes them better formusic then there younger brother the RC-50s. I would think they'd do well for movies, I owned the RC-50s I use them 75% ht, and the rest tv/pandora. and they're fantastic for what I use. very warm and full sounding..
post #44463 of 51452
Ok...I unboxed the 70's and I think they sent me a floor model. They don't look anything like they did online.





Now the honest part. They were not double boxed and I had a few small bruises on the boxes. Nothing to bad. I took the first one out of the UPS truck and put it in my garage. When I turned around the nice UPS lady was struggling with the second box. I quickly said I WILL GET THAT. She had no problem with that.

I took them out of the box and gave them a look. Everything looks fine, no damage. SWEET!. Pulled out the LCR's that I have been using and connected the 70's. It's a good thing that I am familiar with the RC line (I have had 50's - 30's - 10's, and LCR's) because out of the box the 70's mids sound compressed and the bass is a somewhat muffled. I never bought into the break in period until I experienced the RC's. The 30's I sold last week actually sound better than the 70's at this time. I know that will change.

The break in has begun!
Edited by Darrin_R - 2/18/13 at 8:54pm
post #44464 of 51452
I pretty much ran mine for 24 hours continuously starting Friday morning with music from my CD changer and then jazz from one of the DirecTV music stations. I don't know if you really need 100 hours to break them in.

Wasn't home or awake much of that initial 24 hour period but Saturday afternoon I played a lot of music and they sound great! Already have RC-10s, LCR and Mini's so I'm very familiar with the RC sound too.

Glad your 70's arrived undamaged. Hope everyone else who ordered online gets the same results.
post #44465 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok...I unboxed the 70's and I think they sent me a floor model. They don't anything like they did online.



Im looking for the perfect emoticon for this but I couldn't found one biggrin.gif too funny.
post #44466 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

Thanks to you and other forum members thoughts have now made me want to upgrade my budget sub to something better thanks a lot tongue.gif. I guess in the future that might happen I'll have to sell the Bic..

Or you could always keep the BIC and go the dual route wink.gif
post #44467 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Im looking for the perfect emoticon for this but I couldn't found one biggrin.gif too funny.

Yea...I googled 'ugliest speaker' and I think I found it.
post #44468 of 51452
^^^

Sonic Nirvana
post #44469 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

well I just receive my veritas v minis about 40 minutes ago ,I decide to take a look at one of then and to my surprise their finish dont look at all to the larger veritas speakers ,their finish is flat and not glossy also darker than the large speakers ,the finish still looks nice but doesn't match with the larger veritas speakers, also I decide to unplug one verita 6.3 and plug in the verita mini while the other verita 6.3 was playing and to my impression they dont sound alike, I used to have the RC-minis and to my impression they sound more like the RC-minis.well I will let then break in a little bit to see if they get a little bit brighter but when I bought my veritas larger speakers I did tell right away their sound so Im not sure if they will get any brighter .


That's it for now I will keep posting about then.

Sounds like they're just RC Mini's with a new silver plate around the drivers. Not necessarily a bad thing since the RC Mini's were quite good. I like the flat rosenut color actually. I guess they match the old Rosenut RC speakers. Maybe they had a bunch of RC Mini cabinets left over and filled them with V Mini drivers?


They definitely have the same rosenut finish.I will let you know about the sound ,but out of the box they didn't sound like veritas at all.
post #44470 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

So it means the Rc 70 is not good for movies?

The RC70s are AMAZING home theater speakers. They happen to be really good at music, too.
post #44471 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok...I unboxed the 70's and I think they sent me a floor model. They don't anything like they did online.





Now the honest part. They were not double boxed and I had a few small bruises on the boxes. Nothing to bad. I took the first one out of the UPS truck and put it in my garage. When I turned around the nice UPS lady was struggling with the second box. I quickly said I WILL GET THAT. She had no problem with that.

I took them out of the box and gave them a look. Everything looks fine, no damage. SWEET!. Pulled out the LCR's that I have been using and connected the 70's. It's a good thing that I am familiar with the RC line (I have had 50's - 30's - 10's, and LCR's) because out of the box the 70's mids sound compressed and the bass is a somewhat muffled. I never bought into the break in period until I experienced the RC's. The 30's I sold last week actually sound better than the 70's at this time. I know that will change.

The break in has begun!

Congrats on your purchase
post #44472 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok...I unboxed the 70's and I think they sent me a floor model. They don't anything like they did online.





Now the honest part. They were not double boxed and I had a few small bruises on the boxes. Nothing to bad. I took the first one out of the UPS truck and put it in my garage. When I turned around the nice UPS lady was struggling with the second box. I quickly said I WILL GET THAT. She had no problem with that.

I took them out of the box and gave them a look. Everything looks fine, no damage. SWEET!. Pulled out the LCR's that I have been using and connected the 70's. It's a good thing that I am familiar with the RC line (I have had 50's - 30's - 10's, and LCR's) because out of the box the 70's mids sound compressed and the bass is a somewhat muffled. I never bought into the break in period until I experienced the RC's. The 30's I sold last week actually sound better than the 70's at this time. I know that will change.

The break in has begun!

Break-in is always one of those controversial topics, with some people not buying into it at all. With all my Energy speakers, I heard substantial differences during the break-in period. My 70s were actually demo speakers from American, so they were already broken in. I also owned the 30s, but I never warmed up to them. To me, the 70s are head and shoulders better. Once your70s break in properly, I suspect you'll feel the same. smile.gif
post #44473 of 51452
First time posting......have been reading the Thread for months and enjoy hearing all the knowledge being shared by long time participants/addicts:)
My current set up is: Denon 3312ci, CF70 for R/L fronts, CC10 for center, and EAS-C8 in ceiling for surrounds, and ESW-C8 sub. When I purchased this setup a little over a year ago, I figured I would be set for many years. Wrong! Not even 6 months later I was suffering from upgradeitis. Ha rolleyes.gif I watched the Fry's website every day waiting for the RC70's to go on sale. Needless to say I picked up two RC70s at my neighborhood Fry's here in Phoenix on Saturday. Pristine condition!! I hope everyone who has them shipped receives them in the same condition! I think they are boxed fairly well, so keep positive thoughts!

I figure many changes are going to occur with my system over time, like a new sub etc. One of my first questions is about my center channel. Somebody brought up the idea of getting a third RC70 and laying it horizontally below the TV. There were no comments from anyone who has done this, but I was just wondering what people with experience think about this idea?? I would lay the RC70 horizontally on my entertainment stand and then place the HDTV base directly on the side of the speaker. Thanks in advance!!
post #44474 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeydvm View Post

First time posting......have been reading the Thread for months and enjoy hearing all the knowledge being shared by long time participants/addicts:)
My current set up is: Denon 3312ci, CF70 for R/L fronts, CC10 for center, and EAS-C8 in ceiling for surrounds, and ESW-C8 sub. When I purchased this setup a little over a year ago, I figured I would be set for many years. Wrong! Not even 6 months later I was suffering from upgradeitis. Ha rolleyes.gif I watched the Fry's website every day waiting for the RC70's to go on sale. Needless to say I picked up two RC70s at my neighborhood Fry's here in Phoenix on Saturday. Pristine condition!! I hope everyone who has them shipped receives them in the same condition! I think they are boxed fairly well, so keep positive thoughts!

I figure many changes are going to occur with my system over time, like a new sub etc. One of my first questions is about my center channel. Somebody brought up the idea of getting a third RC70 and laying it horizontally below the TV. There were no comments from anyone who has done this, but I was just wondering what people with experience think about this idea?? I would lay the RC70 horizontally on my entertainment stand and then place the HDTV base directly on the side of the speaker. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome! You're in Phoenix? What part? I'm in North-west Mesa. Brings it to 4 members (that I know of in Arizona) in this thread, as Energy owners.

I have heard people ask that same question, and somebody, can't remember who, has done this with an RC-30 I believe. A long time ago on this thread. They were selling some speakers and had their RC tower horizontal. Only problem I can see is the weight of the tower, not to mention needing some isolation from the stand to prevent vibrating/rattling. I have used the RC-10s horizontal before and didn't have a problem but those are so much smaller.
post #44475 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Break-in is always one of those controversial topics, with some people not buying into it at all. With all my Energy speakers, I heard substantial differences during the break-in period. My 70s were actually demo speakers from American, so they were already broken in. I also owned the 30s, but I never warmed up to them. To me, the 70s are head and shoulders better. Once your70s break in properly, I suspect you'll feel the same. smile.gif

Sorry if I didn't clearly articulate what I was saying. I meant that the well broken in 30's sound better than the 'just out of the box 70's'. The 30's sounded like crap until they were broken in. The LCR was the biggest break in change. WOW what difference. So I know the 70's will be great.

I never did believe in break in - I do now.

As I am typing this, I am running 20hz - 20khz sweeps...And all I hear is a voice coming from upstairs " How long will you be doing that?" My response - they recommend 100 hours so we should be good by Friday:D.
post #44476 of 51452
I would have loved to use an RC70 as a center channel, but all the conventional wisdom says it's not going to work well. I don't see how you're going to get balanced sound with the drivers so radically out of position. If you position the tweeter in the middle, the lower drivers are going to way off to one side, not to mention that the tweeter is designed for a vertical orientation.
post #44477 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeydvm View Post

First time posting......have been reading the Thread for months and enjoy hearing all the knowledge being shared by long time participants/addicts:)
. One of my first questions is about my center channel. Somebody brought up the idea of getting a third RC70 and laying it horizontally below the TV. There were no comments from anyone who has done this, but I was just wondering what people with experience think about this idea?? I would lay the RC70 horizontally on my entertainment stand and then place the HDTV base directly on the side of the speaker. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome.

Disclaimer: I have never laid the 70 on it's side.

I have played with multiple center configurations. 1 RC-10 horizontal/vertical, 2 RC-10's horizontal/ vertical, 1 & 2 LCR's. All have +'s and -'s.

My opinion, which is only an opinion because I haven't tried it, if you lay a 70 on it's side I would think you would get some serious lobing because of the size of the speaker. The 70 was designed to be vertical, not horizontal.

I might be wrong. It has happen before.

^^^^^^ and what Mr. Clark said.
post #44478 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

If you have time maybe if u can post a picture of youre rc 70?

Ok but they look the same as everyones.

Yes I took my border off of the screen.




post #44479 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok but they look the same as everyones.

Yes I took my border off of the screen.






Nice looking setup
post #44480 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok but they look the same as everyones.

Yes I took my border off of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Nice looking setup

Yes, indeed! That is what I hope mine will look like someday.
post #44481 of 51452
Frys website now states that the RC-70's are now only available for in-store pick up.

My order status says shipped.....I'm glad that I got in on this when I did......!!!!!!
post #44482 of 51452
Finally pull my trigger at 2:48AM EST time. I had the RC70 last March from Vanns for $800 new for 6 months and sold for $900 and the rest of my RC10, RCLCR. I upgraded to POLK LSI. For $598 I can't stop checking Frys website since Friday. Now I have to find a excuse to build myself a 2 channels music room.

I had this RC70 side-by-side with lsi15 for about a week. They are very closed but the lsi15 has better finish (cherry, piano) IMO.
post #44483 of 51452
Quote:
I had this RC70 side-by-side with lsi15 for about a week. They are very closed but the lsi15 has better finish (cherry, piano) IMO.

I've had assorted RC speakers in all 3 finishes; black, rosenut and cherry. Rosenut is my favorite, then cherry and last black. The rosenut and cherry colors look like furniture. The black ash is plain relatively speaking but goes with everything.
post #44484 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer8210 View Post

Frys website now states that the RC-70's are now only available for in-store pick up.

My order status says shipped.....I'm glad that I got in on this when I did......!!!!!!
They are still shipping them. I keep getting as far as making payment but I just can't pull the trigger eek.gif
post #44485 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R View Post

Ok but they look the same as everyones.

Yes I took my border off of the screen.





thanks sir, set up looks good.
post #44486 of 51452
I've been looking for an RC-LCR and RC-10's the past few days since I picked up my RC-70's. For what the RC-10's are going for now, it's almost easier to justify a second set of RC-70's for wides. Almost. smile.gif
post #44487 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

They are still shipping them. I keep getting as far as making payment but I just can't pull the trigger eek.gif

Still on the website with free shipping as of now.
http://www.frys.com/product/7386304
post #44488 of 51452
Darrin_R - Congrats on the speakers...scared me for a good 5 seconds with the initial photo eek.gif....still waiting for mine to arrive today or tomorrow. The sweep you are running to break in - is that suggested and did you find it on the web and burn a cd? Just want to do it right....I have never had high end speakers and have only broken in some HD280 headphones. Thanks!!
post #44489 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

Darrin_R - Congrats on the speakers...scared me for a good 5 seconds with the initial photo eek.gif....still waiting for mine to arrive today or tomorrow. The sweep you are running to break in - is that suggested and did you find it on the web and burn a cd? Just want to do it right....I have never had high end speakers and have only broken in some HD280 headphones. Thanks!!

Theres no real science to breaking in speakers like there is for something like a car. Just play them. As long as the drivers are moving, they will break in. So just pick some music and set it on repeat for a couple days or as much as you can. Even if you play them for an hour or 2 every day, that would be fine. It would just take longer to break them in.
post #44490 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

Darrin_R - The sweep you are running to break in - is that suggested and did you find it on the web and burn a cd? Just want to do it right....I have never had high end speakers and have only broken in some HD280 headphones. Thanks!!

It's a Stryke audio CD that I bought years ago. It has various different test tones - white and pink noise - and so on. Anything will work I just like to use something that is full range. I image you could download something and burn it. Maybe others will chime in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread