or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1565

post #46921 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 504 View Post

What kind of wall mounts are you guys using for your RC-R, CR-3, or VS surround speakers? I decided to mount my CR-3s on the wall but have no clue which mount will work with this heavy speaker(13.9lbs).
VS have a nifty mount that comes with it. Simple screw that they hook onto. Use a stud in the wall or a good drywall anchor (EZ anchor, or toggle)
post #46922 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 504 View Post

What kind of wall mounts are you guys using for your RC-R, CR-3, or VS surround speakers? I decided to mount my CR-3s on the wall but have no clue which mount will work with this heavy speaker(13.9lbs).
VS have a nifty mount that comes with it. Simple screw that they hook onto. Use a stud in the wall or a good drywall anchor (EZ anchor, or toggle)
post #46923 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuEv0splash View Post

Also I have to just say how much I love AVS...I saw the posts earlier about those posters using manufacturer logos and made myself a Walmart special in about 20 mins. I love it ..please excuse the off angle photo though. Too much glare with the direct angle.


Freaking Awesome!! how did you make it? I am definitely doing this if possible.
post #46924 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoelo View Post

It sounds as though you may prefer a brighter speaker over the RC-70's. I definitely don't find the midrange of the 70's "muddy" in the least. They have some of the best midrange I've heard in any speaker, they really shine in that aspect. Though sound, as always, is a very subjective thing.
so what will be the best placement for you if you will be the one to decide?
post #46925 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

Welcome!!

Did you run Audyssey with the mic?
post #46926 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

so what will be the best placement for you if you will be the one to decide?

I haven't even explored placement yet. I have my RC-70's set up in 2.0 stereo mode at the moment as we're currently revamping that floor of the house.
post #46927 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astley2013 View Post



I did run audessey. But the sound from the central speaker still sounded muffled. Music and sound effects down out voices and makes it hard to hear. that's why I figured I should raise the decibels on the central speaker in comparison to the rest. Is there a recommended setting?
post #46928 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

I dont think that's gonna help you.They are a decent speaker.A little warm,muddy and at referance levels they tend to to start to resonate.I think the woofers are too much or are not isolated away from the mids.Dont get me wrong.They work well for what they are worth.Maybe that's why the price has gone from $1100 a speaker to $500.
A little EQ never hurt anyone... A big difference in sound quality to me (and my wife) with a little EQ on my external sound card. (Turtle Beach)
post #46929 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astley2013 View Post

I did run audessey. But the sound from the central speaker still sounded muffled. Music and sound effects down out voices and makes it hard to hear. that's why I figured I should raise the decibels on the central speaker in comparison to the rest. Is there a recommended setting?

Not sure if you can check the speaker on the takes or not but look for a dented tweeter. Also double check your connections on the avr and speaker to make sure they are solid - and you didn't switch the + and -.

When you run the test tone does it sound ok (like the rest)? What did Audyssey set the center at db wise? Add 2 db and test it out again.

It is a little concerning, that you used the word muffled....Center should sound really clear and bright. Hopefully it's not damaged.
post #46930 of 51452
I wouldn't said muddy ,the midrange in the rc-70 is very good, I will said the lack of very small details on the tweeters so pronunciations can be more clear is the problem, also the over emphasis in the bass over kill the midrange and tweeter.my recommendations is using the port plugs specially for music.


Dont get me wrong the rc tweeter is very good and to me it sounds very natural but it lacks in small details.



a review claim that details improve drastically with higher end gear.
Edited by losservatore - 4/17/13 at 8:25am
post #46931 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I wouldn't said muddy ,the midrange in the rc-70 is very good, I will said the lack of very small details on the tweeters so pronunciations can be more clear is the problem, also the over emphasis in the bass over kill the midrange and tweeter.my recommendations is using the port plugs specially for music.


Dont get me wrong the rc tweeter is very good and to me it sounds very natural but it lacks in small details.



a review claim that details improve drastically with higher end gear.

EXACTLY..I am on the same page as you then.I am thinking of adding a Emotiva 2channel or 3 channel to see if i get cleaner headroom and/or they open up a bit.Oncee again they ARE decent sounding speakers.Slight nuances hear and there and they could be better.
Now trying to figure a 3 channel or 2 channel....confused.gif
post #46932 of 51452
One of the things that make me keep the veritas when I was trying to make the decision between the Rc and Veritas was the ability to heard extra details very easily ,there was obvious things that I couldn't hear clear in the RC specially a percussionist in the back ground was very easy to hear clean and clear, if you can hear a percussionist in the background clean and clear that's a very good sign of detail.


However I didn't try the RC with a more expensive gear it was a budget system, I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to push more detail from the RC with a more expensive gear or different setups,You just have to look for the right combination.
Edited by losservatore - 4/17/13 at 11:42am
post #46933 of 51452
The 2nd gen Veritas are truly the "best of best worlds" for what you guys are describing. The major flaw of the RC's is that the combination of a slight mid-bass emphasis and a "laid back" tweeter can make them seem a little congested or lack detail slightly. The newer Veritas "corrects" this with a flatter response and a brighter tweeter, so it is more detailed, but can be bright or harsh to lots of people. The 2nd gen "real" Veritas speakers do it all. They are just as smooth and unfatiguing as the RC's but are utterly transparent and superbly detailed and neutral. That's what happens when you build a more expensive speaker, you can be good at both without having to compromise one for the other.
post #46934 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Freaking Awesome!! how did you make it? I am definitely doing this if possible.

Once I registered at tinstudio and downloaded all the high res images I wanted, I used Picasa to combine the images into a collage. Once the collage was complete I just uploaded that file to Walmart.com's photo center and submitted an order for a 20x30 poster print. It was ready for pickup within a few hours.
post #46935 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The 2nd gen Veritas are truly the "best of best worlds" for what you guys are describing. The major flaw of the RC's is that the combination of a slight mid-bass emphasis and a "laid back" tweeter can make them seem a little congested or lack detail slightly. The newer Veritas "corrects" this with a flatter response and a brighter tweeter, so it is more detailed, but can be bright or harsh to lots of people. The 2nd gen "real" Veritas speakers do it all. They are just as smooth and unfatiguing as the RC's but are utterly transparent and superbly detailed and neutral. That's what happens when you build a more expensive speaker, you can be good at both without having to compromise one for the other.

Reading this reminds me why I am on my quest to find the V2.2i Anything bigger from the 2nd generation would probally be out of my price range anyways.
So I think this would work for my needs / wants.The hard part can be finding them at a decent price.
Edited by baron2 - 4/17/13 at 1:12pm
post #46936 of 51452
Whats a good reasonably priced stand to support the V2.2i
post #46937 of 51452
In a perfect world you would find a pair with the custom stands that are designed to work with them.

The problem with finding another stand is that the bottoms are not 100% flat because of the little mounting "foot" that is designed to bolt onto the custom stand. I grabbed a couple of photos from that dealer's eBay listing so you can see, it's the bulge sticking out the back on the bottom:








It would probably be easy to get around it by attaching some small rubber bumpers to the bottom of the speaker to elevate it slightly so it can sit flat, clear of the "mounting foot".

After that, pretty much any solid, high quality stand would work. Remember that these guys are *heavy*, over twice the weight of the RC-10 and much larger, so the stand should support 30lbs plus.
post #46938 of 51452
Speaking of which, on a funny side note, the dude listing those must be a reader of this thread because he lowered his price from $2,399 down to $999, and now he has a bid! Maybe it was due to us making fun of him tongue.gif

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Speakers-Veritas-V2-2i-Speaker-System-/230964252893
post #46939 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

In a perfect world you would find a pair with the custom stands that are designed to work with them.

The problem with finding another stand is that the bottoms are not 100% flat because of the little mounting "foot" that is designed to bolt onto the custom stand. I grabbed a couple of photos from that dealer's eBay listing so you can see, it's the bulge sticking out the back on the bottom:








It would probably be easy to get around it by attaching some small rubber bumpers to the bottom of the speaker to elevate it slightly so it can sit flat, clear of the "mounting foot".

After that, pretty much any solid, high quality stand would work. Remember that these guys are *heavy*, over twice the weight of the RC-10 and much larger, so the stand should support 30lbs plus.

Thanks batpig. I noticed that also once he lowered his expectations on price he got 1 bid. Did notice the plastic is still on the edges of the speakers
post #46940 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Speaking of which, on a funny side note, the dude listing those must be a reader of this thread because he lowered his price from $2,399 down to $999, and now he has a bid! Maybe it was due to us making fun of him tongue.gif

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Speakers-Veritas-V2-2i-Speaker-System-/230964252893

I emailed him and we talked about it. He had thought the original price was $1800 per speaker, when it was actually $1800/pair. So when he realized that, he lowered his starting price. I had told him they usually sold for $600 to $1000, depending on condition and, well, the randomness of eBay.
post #46941 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

I emailed him and we talked about it. He had thought the original price was $1800 per speaker, when it was actually $1800/pair. So when he realized that, he lowered his starting price. I had told him they usually sold for $600 to $1000, depending on condition and, well, the randomness of eBay.

If I am not mistaken the ones on ebay are an earlier version of the V2.2i. Those cabinets on the front and rear have a seam and from what I gather are the older V2.2i
Hence the issues with the glue coming undone on the sides.
post #46942 of 51452
The grilles look like the newer "i" version. I don't know anything about changes to the seams.
post #46943 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Speaking of which, on a funny side note, the dude listing those must be a reader of this thread because he lowered his price from $2,399 down to $999, and now he has a bid! Maybe it was due to us making fun of him tongue.gif

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Speakers-Veritas-V2-2i-Speaker-System-/230964252893

That's what I was thinking too. jasonmichaelh and I were laughing about that the other day.
post #46944 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

The grilles look like the newer "i" version. I don't know anything about changes to the seams.

They are the i version but they also made cabinet changes later to eliminate the sides from coming unglued. I have seen pictures of both i versions.
Its interesting finding all about these older Veritas lines
post #46945 of 51452
I have to admit, they are beautiful speakers, I have a soft-spot for oversized bookshelf speakers such as these. Over 15-17 years ago, I sold audio for circuit city, circuit city was an entirely different company at this timeframe too. However, The infinity crescendo 3006 was an amazing speaker with the emit tweeters, I remember the Sterling series 2005 MKII as well in their black ash color. and ultimately the the kappa 5.1s i think they were called. These were all perhaps the same size, After those I thought most everything was junk including the polk RTs that followed at circuit city. The overtures were crap too, those subs sounded aweful etc.

But I kept going back to the 3006s, Great imaging and soundstage. I can only imagine the finesse of Veritas 2.2i, I ended up later with a pair of CS3007s and a kappa center, which are to this day in dry storage. Someday will get around to refoaming them. Im letting them age more wink.gif


Someone will be very happy, that I am sure of.
post #46946 of 51452
cheap enough for someone

http://goo.gl/ryn2e
post #46947 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The 2nd gen Veritas are truly the "best of best worlds" for what you guys are describing. The major flaw of the RC's is that the combination of a slight mid-bass emphasis and a "laid back" tweeter can make them seem a little congested or lack detail slightly. The newer Veritas "corrects" this with a flatter response and a brighter tweeter, so it is more detailed, but can be bright or harsh to lots of people. The 2nd gen "real" Veritas speakers do it all. They are just as smooth and unfatiguing as the RC's but are utterly transparent and superbly detailed and neutral. That's what happens when you build a more expensive speaker, you can be good at both without having to compromise one for the other.

The 2nd gen Veritas 'towers' do still have the mid bass emphasis.They are very analytical and uncompromising on detail (which can become a negative depending on the source, more often than you'd think).

The highs never get too hot, but the mids and upper mids can often become distant, more so when the mid bass gets unruly. Dispersion is also not one of its greatest strengths. They dont completely vanish, nor do they extend much beyond their soundstage.

Unlike other tweeters like the Diamond tweeters in the B&W or the Beryllium tweeters in the Paradigm Signature series, the alluminium dome tweeter can get shrilly, but something in the CSM module manages it so well that it never sounds shrilly in the Veritas. The non-kevlar bass drivers are also different in the second gen veritas that they have the advantage of being slightly faster.

The front and rear vented bass ports on the larger tower is a good thing, in that it helps with less restrictive placement of the speaker. Cabinet is still pretty deep though. Built like a tank and pretty decent styling too. But with the grills off, they might not appeal to everyones taste.
post #46948 of 51452
Just worked out a purchase of the V2.2i. Got the original boxes along with them as well. Excited to get these, should have them next week sometime.smile.gif
post #46949 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Just worked out a purchase of the V2.2i. Got the original boxes along with them as well. Excited to get these, should have them next week sometime.smile.gif

Congrats !!!!! Your persistence paid off biggrin.gif. Now get ready to find yourself lost for a few days listening to music tongue.gifwink.gif.
post #46950 of 51452
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

Just worked out a purchase of the V2.2i. Got the original boxes along with them as well. Excited to get these, should have them next week sometime.smile.gif

Awesome! You WILL love them! I was looking for those in the $800 range but scored some V2.3 towers for $660 instead. I just wanted to point out that the V2.3's ports are in the front and they aren't quite as deep as the V2.4's so they are even more forgiving with placement. Works much better for me. As far as the sound...no more "muffled"!
Edited by Fears4Ears - 4/17/13 at 11:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread