or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1595

post #47821 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Currently I can get the CF-50 for $150 more than the CB-20. If I get the stands for it, $90 more.

Also, I'm looking at the RC-10. I can get that for $40 less than the CF-50's.

In talking in terms of pair btw.

I'm currently in a 20 x 20 living room.


Which one should I get? Its gonna go with CC-10 center and CB-10 sorrounds...

CF-50... Original MSRP = $800 pair vs the CB-20 at about $350 to $400!
post #47822 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Currently I can get the CF-50 for $150 more than the CB-20. If I get the stands for it, $90 more.

Also, I'm looking at the RC-10. I can get that for $40 less than the CF-50's.

(...)

Which one should I get? Its gonna go with CC-10 center and CB-10 sorrounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Beancounter View Post

CF-50... Original MSRP = $800 pair vs the CB-20 at about $350 to $400!

I agree. If it's going with a CC-10 and CB-10s, there's no point in considering RC-10s -- front stage will be mismatched. If you have to buy stands if you go with the CB-20s, I think the CF-50s are really worth $90 more!
post #47823 of 51470
CF-50's for sure, if its in your price range, they will also give you a fuller sound in your front stage. Not sure if your talking
new CF-50's or used? If your talking CF-50 new check the used market out for CF70's that you should be able to get cheaper than
new CF-50's
post #47824 of 51470
Not sure if those were mentioned in the thread before... RC-Rs don't come often these days. $250 each, free shipping from Ontario.
post #47825 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I know this is wrong forum and all, but we are all in the Energy brotherhood! Having trouble deciding between that and the ST60 or holding out for the ZT60, or even going plasma at all. I'm a bit worried about IR, because I do enjoy sitting down to a 6 or 7 hour gaming session occasionally. Never owned a plasma, and my XBR has been wonderful to me for years. 40" just no longer suffices my thirst for more and better audio/video equipment. Decisions, decisions...
Maybe it was just in Canada, but I do recall hearing that Panasonic was exiting the plasma market altogether in the near future. With that said, I've been happy with my ST30 for the past 18 months and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Not sure if those were mentioned in the thread before... RC-Rs don't come often these days. $250 each, free shipping from Ontario.
pretty sure those are the ones that were originally listed as VS surrounds. Pawn shop or similar most likely...
post #47826 of 51470
^^^^ those RC-R not bad at all if you leave in Canada.
post #47827 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

^^^^ those RC-R not bad at all if you leave in Canada.
elaborate please...
post #47828 of 51470
Panasonic departure from the plasma market rumors have been around for a few years.
And will probally be around for a few more years. If or when a company like Panasonic
does leave a certain market they usually will carry parts for 7 years. I think there also is some
kind of regulation stating comapnies need to keep stock parts for x amount of years.

Until OLED becomes better devoloped and more reasonably priced I wouldnt expect Panasonic
to leave the plasma business.
post #47829 of 51470
I went to magnolia today and demoed out the CB 20 and CF 50 and I think I'm gonna go with the CF 50's.

Though CB - 20 were still good, considering my room size, I think its better to go with CF 50s and it also has a bi amping option. I have a pioneer 7.1 receiver so it should fit nicely.

One thing I noticed about the CF-50 was that it was a lot more engaging and enveloping. Good speakers. They sounded real good with music too. Good imaging and bass response was real good.

I can currently get these for $370 shipped to door (pair) so i should have a set up soon.
post #47830 of 51470
The bi amping shouldn't be the selling point. For most people it doesn't make a difference whether you bi-amp or not. I know it doesn't for me and my speakers.
post #47831 of 51470
The sales manager there said you should always bi-amp the CF-50's. Do you have the CF-50'S by any chance? After I came home and did some research (after I posted here) I'm having mix feelings about it. Some say you cam damage your speaker and amp. Do you think I should take the risk?
post #47832 of 51470
No, I have Energy RC-70 which can be bi-amped also. It is a higher end speaker than the CF-50. It they don't need to be biamped I doubt the CF-50 needs it either.

Try it on your own. If you feel you hear a difference then leave it that way.
post #47833 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

grizimes I really think you should buy that VT60:D
If its the 65" its one hell of a tv. I sold one to a client of mine and saw it in his house. Looks absolutely incredible.
post #47834 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

The sales manager there said you should always bi-amp the CF-50's. Do you have the CF-50'S by any chance? After I came home and did some research (after I posted here) I'm having mix feelings about it. Some say you cam damage your speaker and amp. Do you think I should take the risk?


You are right that you need to connect them correctly to avoid damage, but feel free to try it out and see if you hear a difference.
post #47835 of 51470
Alright decided that I'm going to go ahead and get the new Denon AVR-X2000. Also after a lot of thought I decided to use different speakers for my rear surrounds. I was going to use my Martin Logan Motion 4's because they actually mesh well with the Energy's i'm getting, problem is, I started thinking about tonal differences. Soo, I think i'm going to get CB-5 energy's for my rear surrounds and use my Motion 4's on a second zone for stereo audio.

Any thoughts?
post #47836 of 51470
I was thinking of getting CR -10's for sorrounds but can't afford it atm. They got it up on eBay for $270 a pair with free shipping. Have you considered those???

And also adrift, what center are you using for your RC 70's???


Thanks.
post #47837 of 51470
Sorry, phone auto "worded". Question was for afrogt..
post #47838 of 51470
afrogt uses an RC-LCR, which is the proper center to match the RC-70's.
post #47839 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

The sales manager there said you should always bi-amp the CF-50's. Do you have the CF-50'S by any chance? After I came home and did some research (after I posted here) I'm having mix feelings about it. Some say you cam damage your speaker and amp. Do you think I should take the risk?

Salesmen at best buy say a a lot of things, but not many of them should be considered to be accurate. Using two extra channels of a receiver to biamp is close to useless; it won't hurt anything but its not going to make the speakers sound better. The CF-50s are pretty sensitive so don't take a lot of power to get loud.

The only risk though is if you hook it up incorrectly. But I'd much rather just expand to a 7.1 system if possible then use the two extra channels for biamping.
post #47840 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Salesmen at best buy say a a lot of things, but not many of them should be considered to be accurate. Using two extra channels of a receiver to biamp is close to useless; it won't hurt anything but its not going to make the speakers sound better. The CF-50s are pretty sensitive so don't take a lot of power to get loud.

The only risk though is if you hook it up incorrectly. But I'd much rather just expand to a 7.1 system if possible then use the two extra channels for biamping.

+1000

I've heard some bad advice given to people at Best Buy. Agree completely on biamping unless you're using independent amps and even then it's probably wasted on efficient speakers, as batpig notes.
post #47841 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron2 View Post

*

THeCozen1, Welcome to the Energy Family. smile.gif

Thx...good to be here. I'm sure it will be much better once my speakers arrive in a few days. Hook-up seems easy enough in theory, but this motto always holds true...Nothing's ever easy. I also need to purchase accessories...and fast (speaker wire, sub cord, banana plugs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Yes. They wouldn't be surround effects if they were coming in front of you. The easiest placement is hung up on the wall (I used a push pin they were so light, but a nail or screw would be safer). But if you can't, to the right and left of your seating position works too.

If you're wondering because of what your wife thinks, you can always do what I do: run wire around the edge of the room, or if you can't, under couches or rugs. What really works though is getting her favorite movie and showing her what it sounds like before letting her see it. Once she goes, "WOW this sounds great!" you can tell her you'll fix the wire situation, but then she'll at least know she'll have to compromise to still get that same sound smile.gif

The wife factor is definitely a touchy one. I'm in the market for the best setup for an unconcealed installation. Basically, most aesthetically pleasing cover strips or as you mentioned...flat, paintable wires. I could actually get (3) speakers on the TV stand (left - front - right) with the sub on the floor. That only leaves (2) speakers to mount (rear). Wish me luck.
post #47842 of 51470
Sorry to blow up the board, but I'm looking to buy accessories for the Energy Take 5.1 without actually having the speakers yet. My receiver = Yamaha RX-V473.

I've filled up the monoprice cart with the following:
- Speaker wall mount bracket (set of 2) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=3012&seq=1&format=2
-subwoofer cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2
- 100ft. 16 gauge speaker wire http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2793&seq=1&format=2
- banana plugs (5 pairs) x2 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

Anything jumping out at you or ommissions from that cart?
I opted for the monoprice speaker wire for quality of copper...necessary? Probably no run over 30'.
Is a subwoofer cable necessary, or should I just use speaker wire?
Not planning on moving/unplugging speakers, so the banana plugs are just for ease of installation. I could cut the quantity in half by just getting enough to plug into the receiver with wire connection at speakers. Thoughts? The wall mounts seem to be far enough off the wall that banana plugs would work is desired.

As stated previously, to cut down on wall mounting, I was planning on placing (3) speakers on the TV stand. Approximately 30" AFF. Am I losing much on the surround sound effect with them not hung above the TV?
post #47843 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1 View Post

Sorry to blow up the board, but I'm looking to buy accessories for the Energy Take 5.1 without actually having the speakers yet. My receiver = Yamaha RX-V473.

I've filled up the monoprice cart with the following:
- Speaker wall mount bracket (set of 2) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=3012&seq=1&format=2
-subwoofer cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2
- 100ft. 16 gauge speaker wire http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2793&seq=1&format=2
- banana plugs (5 pairs) x2 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

Anything jumping out at you or ommissions from that cart?
I opted for the monoprice speaker wire for quality of copper...necessary? Probably no run over 30'.
Is a subwoofer cable necessary, or should I just use speaker wire?
Not planning on moving/unplugging speakers, so the banana plugs are just for ease of installation. I could cut the quantity in half by just getting enough to plug into the receiver with wire connection at speakers. Thoughts? The wall mounts seem to be far enough off the wall that banana plugs would work is desired.

As stated previously, to cut down on wall mounting, I was planning on placing (3) speakers on the TV stand. Approximately 30" AFF. Am I losing much on the surround sound effect with them not hung above the TV?

16 gauge will be more than sufficient with the Take Classics. As far as a subwoofer cable (which you'll need) you can get the 15 ft cable for a little bit more and that will give you freedom to put the sub wherever it sounds best (or wherever the wife wants you to hide it wink.gif ). 6 ft is a lot shorter than it seems.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6306&seq=1&format=2
Essentially you can use any RCA cable to connect your sub to the receiver though.

The monoprice wire is excellent quality for the price. I spent an equal amount on monstercable and RadioShack wire my first time around and the wires were thinner and not as high quality of copper. I think as far as banana plugs go, you will be fine with enough for the receiver end. The receiver end was the main reason I purchased mine due to wanting clean connections and to avoid frayed wire. The Takes have slanted binding posts so if you put banana plugs on them they would almost be to your threaded insert you would use for the wall mounts. So they might not even fit. I just looked at one of my Take Classics and they are able to use banana plugs, so it's up to you. They're cheap enough that you could get them just in case and use them on future speakers if they're spare.

Placing the speakers on the stand would work just fine. I have had speakers above my TV and honestly I didn't like the way the sound came to my ears. It's harder to slant speakers to aim at your listening area from up high, and even when you can it still doesn't project the sound the same way IMO. If you NEED to, that is a different story. Some sound is better than no sound smile.gif

(Also, if this is your first set of speakers, or just for the heck of it, you should pick up a pair of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10509&cs_id=1050903&p_id=7037&seq=1&format=2

Made getting the speaker wire SO MUCH EASIER!!! You just clamp it on the wire where the gauge number is (you'll know when you see it), and then pull the covering off. There are probably internet videos to show you how if it's confusing. And they're only $5.95 and you can use them anytime you want/need to do wiring in the future. They're at least worth the money for the first time to save time and frustration. smile.gif
post #47844 of 51470
These are kinda nice rather than wall mounting, or putting them on the TV stand. Will enable you to widen your front field (provided you have room for them)

Only $10.08 a pair.


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082819&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
post #47845 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

16 gauge will be more than sufficient with the Take Classics. As far as a subwoofer cable (which you'll need) you can get the 15 ft cable for a little bit more and that will give you freedom to put the sub wherever it sounds best (or wherever the wife wants you to hide it wink.gif ). 6 ft is a lot shorter than it seems.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6306&seq=1&format=2
Essentially you can use any RCA cable to connect your sub to the receiver though.

The monoprice wire is excellent quality for the price. I spent an equal amount on monstercable and RadioShack wire my first time around and the wires were thinner and not as high quality of copper. I think as far as banana plugs go, you will be fine with enough for the receiver end. The receiver end was the main reason I purchased mine due to wanting clean connections and to avoid frayed wire. The Takes have slanted binding posts so if you put banana plugs on them they would almost be to your threaded insert you would use for the wall mounts. So they might not even fit. I just looked at one of my Take Classics and they are able to use banana plugs, so it's up to you. They're cheap enough that you could get them just in case and use them on future speakers if they're spare.

Placing the speakers on the stand would work just fine. I have had speakers above my TV and honestly I didn't like the way the sound came to my ears. It's harder to slant speakers to aim at your listening area from up high, and even when you can it still doesn't project the sound the same way IMO. If you NEED to, that is a different story. Some sound is better than no sound smile.gif

(Also, if this is your first set of speakers, or just for the heck of it, you should pick up a pair of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10509&cs_id=1050903&p_id=7037&seq=1&format=2

Made getting the speaker wire SO MUCH EASIER!!! You just clamp it on the wire where the gauge number is (you'll know when you see it), and then pull the covering off. There are probably internet videos to show you how if it's confusing. And they're only $5.95 and you can use them anytime you want/need to do wiring in the future. They're at least worth the money for the first time to save time and frustration. smile.gif

Just put the wire cutter/stripper in the cart. Thanks. So these banana plugs work in both the speakers and receiver, correct? I don't need "pin screws" for the speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

These are kinda nice rather than wall mounting, or putting them on the TV stand. Will enable you to widen your front field (provided you have room for them)

Only $10.08 a pair.


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082819&p_id=3022&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Those are nice...I like them. Know who else would like them?...my 3 and 5 year olds. Say bye-bye to the rear speakers. Wish I could use them because I have a bit of a dilemma. My living room is open to the dining/kitchen with no back wall behind the couch. I have to go with the side wall rear speaker placement with walls left and right of the couch. Problem is, I can't get the left rear speaker to the side. There is a stair opening then foyer which hinder my speaker wire routing. I'll fall a few feet short of getting the left rear speaker to qualify as a side wall placement. The right speaker can go farther back, but will not be in line with the left. Just not sure what kind of surround sound affect I'll be getting.
post #47846 of 51470
I used those stands for the RC Micro 5.0 line and they work fine. I have 2 sets of those and use it to hang my tv micros for sattelites currently. TheCozen 1, are you by any chance currently shopping for HTIB's still? If you are I am willing to sell you my Energy RC Micro 5.0 system for $70.00 including 2 sets of the stands mentioned above. As you can see through the thred, I am upgrading to A bigger system. Energy Micro 5.0 was reviewed as better than the Take classics line. (It's RC line) Its barely been used for only about 5 hours and I never used them as fronts only sorrounds, (used CB-10/CC-10) as fronts. PM if interested.
post #47847 of 51470
Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1 View Post

Just put the wire cutter/stripper in the cart. Thanks. So these banana plugs work in both the speakers and receiver, correct? I don't need "pin screws" for the speakers?

I didn't have an extra banana plug to try it with, but I believe the pin screw type is only if you have the speakers where you have to push the tab down to open the hole for the wire.

Like this: http://sell.lulusoso.com/selling-leads/123225/DOUBLE-JACK-SPRING-WIRE-SPEAKER-TERMINAL-CONNECTOR.html
post #47848 of 51470
Anyone ever hear of the RC-50 being manufactured in real Mahogony wood? There is
someone on Ebay with a pair, didnt think they came in anything other than black ash, cherry or rosenut
post #47849 of 51470
Yeah, I don't think the came in anything but those 3 finishes. Looks like the rosenut to me.
post #47850 of 51470
Rosenut for sure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread