or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1670

post #50071 of 51494
Yep, I joined the binge today. 2 V-6.3's and a V-5.2 in rosenut to go with 4 V-S surrounds.

eek.gif
post #50072 of 51494
@ batpig,

If I were interested in the Denon 4520 or the Marantz 8801, what is the going market price now? I saw there is a Marantz 7008 as well. How does that compare to the Denon 4520? Thanks.
post #50073 of 51494
I think I'm almost finished with my binge, been happy with my speaker set up for some time now. Just got a Panasonic 60ST60 plasma (off topic, but is amazing), and the only itch I have left is a new AVR. Hoping for a Denon X4000 sometime soon. biggrin.gif
post #50074 of 51494
@ torht -- You should call JDSmoothie who now works for AVScience as a sales rep. I don't know the specific pricing but he will give you the scoop on the current street price, probably around 20-25% below msrp I would imagine. They aren't allowed to quote anything below msrp online.

I imagine you could easily recoup $1000+ for the 4311CI selling it used.

The Marantz 7008 is actually based on the Denon X4000, not the higher end 4520CI platform. It has 9 amps built in (vs only 7 on the X4000) but it is similar in having 9 channel MAX capability; it is NOT capable of 11ch simultaneous output. So it really sits in between the X4000 and 4520CI (both in price and features), basically you are paying for two extra amp channels and the extra proprietary Marantz audio circuitry (this Audioholics article explains that part). But the 4520CI can run 11 channels and has a more powerful amp section (150W/ch instead of 125W/ch and 4-ohm stable).
post #50075 of 51494
I have a question about receiver/amplifier to power RC-70 speakers. I'm using a pioneer vsx-1021 k. - 90wpc 7.1 receiver to power a 3 channel setup in my living room with 2 RC-70s and an RC-LCR. Do you guys think I need to upgrade my receiver to a more powerful one to get better sound? In other words, am I under powering my RC-70s and RC-LCR? Your opinion is appreciated.
Thanks, murali
post #50076 of 51494
With a 3 channel setup, no, not unless you are trying to play at ridiculously high volume levels.
post #50077 of 51494
Thank you batpig. That helps!
post #50078 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

@ torht -- You should call JDSmoothie who now works for AVScience as a sales rep. I don't know the specific pricing but he will give you the scoop on the current street price, probably around 20-25% below msrp I would imagine. They aren't allowed to quote anything below msrp online.

I imagine you could easily recoup $1000+ for the 4311CI selling it used.

... But the 4520CI can run 11 channels and has a more powerful amp section (150W/ch instead of 125W/ch and 4-ohm stable).

Thanks for the heads up. I thought Marantz 7008 supported 11 channels simultaneously. What do you think of the Onkyo 5010?
post #50079 of 51494
The Marantz AV8801 offers eleven simultaneous channels.
post #50080 of 51494
Just hung my new Panny ST60 earlier this week. Here's some eye candy with my RC setup. An amazing TV to go with amazing speakers.

post #50081 of 51494
I currently own an older Panny ST, a TC-P46ST1, and it's still amazing. I'm looking at the 60ST60 too now, knowing that if I want one it's pretty much now or never. However I'd have to see how's the budget going after the Holidays. Not sure how many ST60 will be left afterwards though. Looks like production has already stopped for the STs.
post #50082 of 51494
Question, I currently have a Mirage OMD 15 setup, im looking at buying the Energy V6.3 setup. Is this considered a upgrade to the Mirages?

Thanks
post #50083 of 51494
Not really. More lateral, just different, depending on subjective taste. What do you not like about the Mirages?
post #50084 of 51494
I actually ran across a video with both the RC-70s and the V6.3s playing. It just swayed my mind for sure. The Vs are much more detailed to me. I can only imagine its better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx3PohPty2o
post #50085 of 51494
that's my video lol.
post #50086 of 51494
I really enjoy the OMD 15s for music, I'm not a huge fan of the center, when I use it I point it directly at me, rather than leave it on its base. I also feel that the OMD 15s overpower the center dialogue sometimes. IDK maybe I want a LCR situation.
post #50087 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

that's my video lol.

LOL.. awesome! I commented on it at Youtube also.
post #50088 of 51494
How can you possibly judge how a speaker sounds by a YouTube video?
post #50089 of 51494
Video not available on mobile?
post #50090 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoelo View Post

How can you possibly judge how a speaker sounds by a YouTube video?

Im comparing how they sound compared to each other. I can now see why people say the RC-70 is a warmer sound and how the Vs are brighter. I can hear the differences in the video. Can you tell the true SQ of a speaker through a video, no, but I can hear the differences.
post #50091 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoelo View Post

How can you possibly judge how a speaker sounds by a YouTube video?

You can't but it does provide a bit of an indication at least when comparing the two head to head. I listened to an RC-70 and V6.3 back to back at a Future Shop over here in Canada however and my impression was that the V6.3 does sound more detailed, however the RC-70 is still the weapon of choice for music. It's tough to explain but I feel like the RC-70's could play at a higher volume and get more bottom end before vocals and higher frequency sounds get uncomfortably 'loud' rather than a lack of bottom end on the V6.3's.

I have posted it in this thread (probably a few times actually) that I think the actual best combo would be RC-70's and a V5.2C. That way you get the best of both worlds, clearer, cripser dialogue in movies/TV and the best 2ch music sound (IMHO). I do own both the RC-LCR and the V5.2C. My fiancee however prefers all the speakers to match so i'm still running the RC-LCR while the V5.2C sits under my desk (did have to give a little considering my speakers are dominating the living room in our condo and I told her my RW-12D would be only 'slightly' larger than my PSW-111!). I was always planning on 'upgrading' to the V6.3's and ditching the RC-70's but I just can't get over how well they do with music and while I initially thought the V6.3 looked better, the wood finish of the RC-70's has started looking better and better to me (still think the V6.3's still have a bit of an edge in the looks dept).
post #50092 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

You can't but it does provide a bit of an indication at least when comparing the two head to head. I listened to an RC-70 and V6.3 back to back at a Future Shop over here in Canada however and my impression was that the V6.3 does sound more detailed, however the RC-70 is still the weapon of choice for music. It's tough to explain but I feel like the RC-70's could play at a higher volume and get more bottom end before vocals and higher frequency sounds get uncomfortably 'loud' rather than a lack of bottom end on the V6.3's.

I have posted it in this thread (probably a few times actually) that I think the actual best combo would be RC-70's and a V5.2C. That way you get the best of both worlds, clearer, cripser dialogue in movies/TV and the best 2ch music sound (IMHO). I do own both the RC-LCR and the V5.2C. My fiancee however prefers all the speakers to match so i'm still running the RC-LCR while the V5.2C sits under my desk (did have to give a little considering my speakers are dominating the living room in our condo and I told her my RW-12D would be only 'slightly' larger than my PSW-111!). I was always planning on 'upgrading' to the V6.3's and ditching the RC-70's but I just can't get over how well they do with music and while I initially thought the V6.3 looked better, the wood finish of the RC-70's has started looking better and better to me (still think the V6.3's still have a bit of an edge in the looks dept).

I can understand using the YouTube video as a very slight indicator of a comparative sound, but there's nothing that compares to an in-person audition. I haven't heard the v6.3's, so I couldn't possibly comment. I own an RC 7.1 setup and really enjoy the sound. I'm not sure I'd like the v6.3 if they tend toward being "bright", but again, I'd have to hear them. That rosenut finish is certainly beautiful, though.
post #50093 of 51494
I already said it few post back, both speakers have different sound characteristics and I also mentioned some speaker brands for sound reference.
post #50094 of 51494
I went and finally broke out the old credit card. I figured it was now or never and I missed my chance at getting the full set of RCs and only got the 70s. Now I'll have 7 speakers sitting on my door Monday. Will be nice to finally have that Rosenut and a whole matching setup.
post #50095 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

Video not available on mobile?

Okay I fix it ,its block because of copyrights.
post #50096 of 51494

I'm pretty stoked, I've been able pick up all the RC line that I wanted for my set up, RC-70's...RC-LCR...RC-10's...RC-R's, don't have them all at my house yet, but they are on their way, now working on a quality sub, cant wait to hear the full 7.1 set up.. I'm sure I'll love it...

Thanks to you AVS / Energy guys, for the input so far...


Edited by HfxHiFi - 12/19/13 at 10:29pm
post #50097 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I currently own an older Panny ST, a TC-P46ST1, and it's still amazing. I'm looking at the 60ST60 too now, knowing that if I want one it's pretty much now or never. However I'd have to see how's the budget going after the Holidays. Not sure how many ST60 will be left afterwards though. Looks like production has already stopped for the STs.

I've been noticing the ST60 going out of stock at many local stores (Sears and Best Buy) as I am in the market for a new screen as well, trying to get the RC setup and new screen all to come together at the same time but getting worried that once I finish the RC setup the Panasonic supply of remainng screens will be depleted, anyone else seeing this?
post #50098 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforowls View Post

I've been noticing the ST60 going out of stock at many local stores (Sears and Best Buy) as I am in the market for a new screen as well, trying to get the RC setup and new screen all to come together at the same time but getting worried that once I finish the RC setup the Panasonic supply of remainng screens will be depleted, anyone else seeing this?

Panasonic is finished manufacturing their 2013 plasmas. This will be the last year for production and they are getting out of the plasma game. Manufacturing was set to end this month and probably already has. It seems that once stores are out of stock, they will be out of stock permanently. I would recommend going for the TV and then looking for the RC speakers, as it seems that used speakers are much more readily available that used TV's.
post #50099 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HfxHiFi View Post

I'm pretty stoked, I've been able pick up all the RC line that I wanted for my set up, RC-70's...RC-LCR...RC-10's...RC-R's, don't have them all at my house yet, but they are on their way, now working on a quality sub, cant wait to hear the full 7.1 set up.. I'm sure I'll love it...
Thanks to you AVS / Energy guys, for the input so far...

You are going to love that setup. We have them in a 5.1 setup connected to a Panny x700 and still love it after several years.
post #50100 of 51494
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax View Post

You can't but it does provide a bit of an indication at least when comparing the two head to head. I listened to an RC-70 and V6.3 back to back at a Future Shop over here in Canada however and my impression was that the V6.3 does sound more detailed, however the RC-70 is still the weapon of choice for music. It's tough to explain but I feel like the RC-70's could play at a higher volume and get more bottom end before vocals and higher frequency sounds get uncomfortably 'loud' rather than a lack of bottom end on the V6.3's.

I own the 6.3s and I agree that as you increase volume to HIGH levels the treble tends make these very forward and maybe even a little uncomfortable. However, looking at FR graphs, It doesn't look to have anything do with the bass dropping off but rather to the highs not been rolled off. The V 6.3s graphically have a much better bass response than the RCs (flat down to 37 versus 80 on the RCs). The treble emphasis is only a problem at very high listening levels and, at normal listening levels, it's not an issue at all. Also, I haven't passed the 200hr break in yet and am not sure if this will affect their response.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread