or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 1690

post #50671 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaed View Post

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going to sell my RC-10's and RC-Mini CC in Cherry. I'm now thinking of adding my black RC Mini surrounds and the S8.3 to make a complete 5.1 system.

I have two questions I need help with. I have the brackets for the mini's mounted in a soffet and would like to use them to mount whatever replacement rears I get. Would any other brands of similar size and quality work on those brackets?

Thanks.

Are you referring to the original RC-mini brackets that came with the speakers? If so, then its not likely any other speakers will work with those very easily... it wasn't like those mounts threaded into an actual threaded mount on the speaker using a standard thread size..... they just substituted one of the back plate metric threaded screws for a longer one for the "cup" half of the mount... and the screw is of quite a small diameter.. pretty much a propietary design that would be difficult to make work well with other brands..
post #50672 of 51481
Re: Fry's


RC-70's are up to $600/ea, RC-10's are $600/pair, both in stock for shipping. RC-LCR is backordered until Feb 3 @$649.99. eek.gif

Apparently the Reference Connoisseur gravy train has left the station, at least for now.
post #50673 of 51481
The sound is pretty amazing as it, just cant imagine it could be even better. Even the receiver is playing the same stuff at lower dbs than before. For example, i am listening to Genesis Live from ROME (DTS) and the I am at -18db and it is super loud and clear. I could not get that out of the KEFs. Had to go down to -7 dbs to get something similar in volume....So two things come to mine,. i probably have the right amount of power or enough power (90 watts per channel) to be satisfied. Would say an X4000 or an ONKYO 818 allow me to have more CLARITY of better sound or I would just be upgrading to the heck of upgrading and obtaining extra features ? How about something like the smaller set of OUTLAW separates?
post #50674 of 51481
One more thing, I noticed that Audessy also set up the LCR center as SMALL and the Fronts R and L as LARGE..... Should I change the CENTER to Large or leave as it is ? Just wondering. I can also say this Center is MUCH MUCH better than the IQ60c from Kef..... Really clear.......... I am in heaven with this sheeeeeeet
post #50675 of 51481
Leave them at small! It has nothing to do with the size, nor the power of the speaker. It's just that it gets crossed-over lower... Thus putting less stress on the center channel ( as well as the towers... ) woofers... Same is applied to towers! If you have a good subwoofer, let him handle more bass!
post #50676 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharettaboomer View Post

The sound is pretty amazing as it, just cant imagine it could be even better. Even the receiver is playing the same stuff at lower dbs than before. For example, i am listening to Genesis Live from ROME (DTS) and the I am at -18db and it is super loud and clear. I could not get that out of the KEFs. Had to go down to -7 dbs to get something similar in volume....So two things come to mine,. i probably have the right amount of power or enough power (90 watts per channel) to be satisfied. Would say an X4000 or an ONKYO 818 allow me to have more CLARITY of better sound or I would just be upgrading to the heck of upgrading and obtaining extra features ? How about something like the smaller set of OUTLAW separates?
From my experience, unless you are already experiencing issues where things are distorting/clipping at loud volumes, then upgrading to a more powerful amplifier will do nothing for clarity
post #50677 of 51481
Hmmm I think I might be wrong, but I don't think so: Set all your front stage as "small" . Less power will be required to drive them cleanly.
post #50678 of 51481
U were correct. Put the left center and right as small if u have a sub so that your sub can handle everything under say 80hz for those channels. If u set a speaker large then it is responsible for handling the full frequency range rather than dedicating the lower end to the more capable and powerful subwoofer.
post #50679 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Are you referring to the original RC-mini brackets that came with the speakers? If so, then its not likely any other speakers will work with those very easily... it wasn't like those mounts threaded into an actual threaded mount on the speaker using a standard thread size..... they just substituted one of the back plate metric threaded screws for a longer one for the "cup" half of the mount... and the screw is of quite a small diameter.. pretty much a propietary design that would be difficult to make work well with other brands..

Yes. Would rather not remove the brackets if I can find other speakers w same thread. Would like to find a deal on another pair of mini's to sell withe the rest of the 5.1 set but the ones I occasionally see are priced pretty high.
post #50680 of 51481
You are correct, it is always recommended to set speakers to "small" after running Audyssey if you have a good powered subwoofer. Let the subwoofer do what it's supposed to do. With the RC-70's a crossover of 60-80Hz should do nicely.

See this answer in the Audyssey FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_c3

Quote:
Would say an X4000 or an ONKYO 818 allow me to have more CLARITY of better sound or I would just be upgrading to the heck of upgrading and obtaining extra features ?

If you can afford the difference, then yes it will improve the sound quality as these receivers use the more advanced version of Audyssey, MultEQ XT32, which has much higher resolution EQ filters on all channels. It is a significant step forward from prior versions of Audyssey as it devotes considerably more resources to correcting the bass frequencies, which are the most impacted by room acoustics. It also does a better job of smoothing the highs, so you should gain increased clarity, detail, more articulate and clean bass, and more seamless "blending" of the system as a whole.

The benefit wouldn't be so much from the increased amplifier power per se, but you would be able to push it a little bit louder.
post #50681 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaed View Post

Would these Polks thread onto and fit the brackets that came with the RC minis?

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tl1

Nothing fits the brackets that come with the RC Minis except the V Minis.
post #50682 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You are correct, it is always recommended to set speakers to "small" after running Audyssey if you have a good powered subwoofer. Let the subwoofer do what it's supposed to do. With the RC-70's a crossover of 60-80Hz should do nicely.

See this answer in the Audyssey FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_c3
If you can afford the difference, then yes it will improve the sound quality as these receivers use the more advanced version of Audyssey, MultEQ XT32, which has much higher resolution EQ filters on all channels. It is a significant step forward from prior versions of Audyssey as it devotes considerably more resources to correcting the bass frequencies, which are the most impacted by room acoustics. It also does a better job of smoothing the highs, so you should gain increased clarity, detail, more articulate and clean bass, and more seamless "blending" of the system as a whole.

The benefit wouldn't be so much from the increased amplifier power per se, but you would be able to push it a little bit louder.

Thank you again.... Indeed some food for thought...... If I see a great deal in one of these units, I will bite.... Love to see how much better it can get with the better software or room correction

I do not have a sub. so I guess I will leave the Fronts as large in order for them to cover the Lower frequencies and I will leave the center as small.....

Hard to believe how good of a buy these speakers are... Plenty of good speakers out there for sure and I am will not knock any of them in the competitive $1500 give or take range....To me , many of the sounded great and I probably would have been just as happy with a set of BW 683 or MA RX8, but for the money and the quality of the box, these are a steal. Very happy
post #50683 of 51481
Oh wow. If you don't have a sub for sure spend money on that before paying a bunch of money for an incremental upgrade in room correction software. No brainer, the subwoofer is vital for proper ht reproduction.
post #50684 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Oh wow. If you don't have a sub for sure spend money on that before paying a bunch of money for an incremental upgrade in room correction software. No brainer, the subwoofer is vital for proper ht reproduction.

yes, you are correct. I need to get one. I have been trying to avoid having the mrs complaint about noise, especially now that I am spending a lot of time down in the dedicated basement room. But, this is on my list. I know there are a lot of excellent threads about subs here as well....Maybe a nice 10 inch would do a decent job.....
post #50685 of 51481
Alpharetta: I did the same mistake than you were about to make. Get a good 12 inches. It won't necessarily rattle your room more, and peeeeesssss your lady off. You can calibrate your sub to get the desired volume...

Having a good 12 incher will not only fill your room better with bass, but investing on a good subwoofer rather than a decent one will pay dividends in spades. Bass will be musical, tight, agile. It won't sound like a bloated one note powerful thump. Essential for goood music =D

Wish I'd had had the chance to consult the wise opinion of members here before buying my 10 inches Klipsch subwoofer... While being "ok", it certainly isn't on par with the bass quality of the rc70s....

Don't know about your budget, but SVS seems to be a pretty smart buy. They even have an application that suggests you the best subwoofer for every specific speaker model, and how it should be crossed for optimal results.
post #50686 of 51481
But... I'd tend to think that buying a superior quality 10 inches versus a decent 12 inches would be better too! ALl depending on the budget smile.gif
post #50687 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Alpharetta: I did the same mistake than you were about to make. Get a good 12 inches. It won't necessarily rattle your room more, and peeeeesssss your lady off. You can calibrate your sub to get the desired volume...

Having a good 12 incher will not only fill your room better with bass, but investing on a good subwoofer rather than a decent one will pay dividends in spades. Bass will be musical, tight, agile. It won't sound like a bloated one note powerful thump. Essential for goood music =D

Wish I'd had had the chance to consult the wise opinion of members here before buying my 10 inches Klipsch subwoofer... While being "ok", it certainly isn't on par with the bass quality of the rc70s....

Don't know about your budget, but SVS seems to be a pretty smart buy. They even have an application that suggests you the best subwoofer for every specific speaker model, and how it should be crossed for optimal results.

Which subs would you consider with the RC70's, LCR, and 4 Energy celiing speakers . I could move the two KEF to back room and make it a 5.1 system as well (Prbably not do this, but maybe) ..... or what do you currently own. the room is about 24 x 18 x 8.......
post #50688 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

But... I'd tend to think that buying a superior quality 10 inches versus a decent 12 inches would be better too! ALl depending on the budget smile.gif

Have to agree... the 10" PB-1000 from SVS for $499 will outperform pretty much any "big box brand" 12" sub.
post #50689 of 51481
I completely agree! A SVS PB-1000 would be awesome if you go the 10 inches route. In fact, anything from svs would suit the bill perfectly. THe general consensus here would tell you that you can't go wrong with HSU, Rythmik, REL...

You have to know though that they are mostly Internet direct brands... But SVS pays the shipping in us, and charges really low shipping costs in Canada ( they sre charging me 50$ for 2 pb-1000, and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger haha.. Almost, because that cylinder sub is sooooo sexy!!!)
post #50690 of 51481
and oh, by the way... SVS kindly offer a discount when you buy two of them. In my case, the discount offered equals to the shipping fees... Which is really nice, because I Wouldn't like to see the bill if I were to personnally pay for a 90 pounds package. Basically means the shipping is freeeeee in Canada too, on that specific case!
post #50691 of 51481
If you go for duals in Canada, SVS SonicBoomAudio, SVS's distributor, basically applies the 5% repeat customer discount on the whole package.

@Alpharettaboomer: take a deep breath, talking subs can be a bit overwhelming, because as with any other piece of HT equipment, sky is the limit. The reasons why you may want a powerful sub is not necessarily just to get a boom box. Reproducing lower-frequency content is exponentially difficult, and nowadays movies are shock-full of very low frequency effects. The goal is generally to get flat output down to 20 Hz (or lower!) once your setup is calibrated. Few retail subs are able to achieve significant output down to 20 Hz, but the internet direct sub makers can generally do it, and for much cheaper. The brands already mentioned (SVS, Hsu) but also Outlaw, Rhytmik and PowerSoundAudio are reputed to offer the best bang for the buck. They begin at about $500 (e.g. the afore-mentioned SVS PB-1000). And there is no top end biggrin.gif

Even if you're satisfied with the bass from your mains, a good sub can help, as the very demanding and power-hungry LFEs will be offloaded to the sub's amp, and more power can be reserved for your mains. But as others mentioned, a sub with good output down to 20 Hz will offer an interesting dimension for HT use (tactile effects, very low rumbles, etc.) as well as offer great sound quality for the whole frequency range of your setup. For music, some styles (mostly electronic music though) will also benefit from good output down below 30 Hz.
post #50692 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharettaboomer View Post

Which subs would you consider with the RC70's, LCR, and 4 Energy celiing speakers . I could move the two KEF to back room and make it a 5.1 system as well (Prbably not do this, but maybe) ..... or what do you currently own. the room is about 24 x 18 x 8.......

Take a look at Outlaw Audio as well. I have their Plus and EX models with my RC setup and I smile every time I power my system up.
post #50693 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

If you go for duals in Canada, SVS SonicBoomAudio, SVS's distributor, basically applies the 5% repeat customer discount on the whole package.

@Alpharettaboomer: take a deep breath, talking subs can be a bit overwhelming, because as with any other piece of HT equipment, sky is the limit. The reasons why you may want a powerful sub is not necessarily just to get a boom box. Reproducing lower-frequency content is exponentially difficult, and nowadays movies are shock-full of very low frequency effects. The goal is generally to get flat output down to 20 Hz (or lower!) once your setup is calibrated. Few retail subs are able to achieve significant output down to 20 Hz, but the internet direct sub makers can generally do it, and for much cheaper. The brands already mentioned (SVS, Hsu) but also Outlaw, Rhytmik and PowerSoundAudio are reputed to offer the best bang for the buck. They begin at about $500 (e.g. the afore-mentioned SVS PB-1000). And there is no top end biggrin.gif

Even if you're satisfied with the bass from your mains, a good sub can help, as the very demanding and power-hungry LFEs will be offloaded to the sub's amp, and more power can be reserved for your mains. But as others mentioned, a sub with good output down to 20 Hz will offer an interesting dimension for HT use (tactile effects, very low rumbles, etc.) as well as offer great sound quality for the whole frequency range of your setup. For music, some styles (mostly electronic music though) will also benefit from good output down below 30 Hz.


Thank you to all of you ... I will take a look at these subs and purchase one....... Perhaps a nice Valentines gift from me to me.... LOL!!!!!!!!!! Now that is LOVE
post #50694 of 51481
I hooked up the amp(anthem pva-5), and the only difference I found is that it seems to bring out the highs. Even running Mcacc it barley changed the levels. Really the only difference between the amp and receiver is a A/B vs D class. Power output is close, 125wpc vs 90wpc(from what Iinfo i could find). I'm running very cheap rca's at this time, in case I decided to return it. Once again I'm running rc-70's, a v5.2, and v-mini's for the surrounds, and a sc-68 for a receiver. I should say the only reason I got the amp is because of the price.
post #50695 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharettaboomer View Post

Thank you to all of you ... I will take a look at these subs and purchase one....... Perhaps a nice Valentines gift from me to me.... LOL!!!!!!!!!! Now that is LOVE

The way I've heard it all you need is love.
post #50696 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker2 View Post

I hooked up the amp(anthem pva-5), and the only difference I found is that it seems to bring out the highs. Even running Mcacc it barley changed the levels. Really the only difference between the amp and receiver is a A/B vs D class. Power output is close, 125wpc vs 90wpc(from what Iinfo i could find). I'm running very cheap rca's at this time, in case I decided to return it. Once again I'm running rc-70's, a v5.2, and v-mini's for the surrounds, and a sc-68 for a receiver. I should say the only reason I got the amp is because of the price.

Sounds about right. in my opinion, and in the way that I use it, the only reason to get more amplification is if you have less efficient speakers or want to make your ears bleed consistently.

Again, IMO , there may be a slight difference, but since most source material barely clears 30 amps in stress for the system at any one time (and is usually less than that), I find that my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 is just fine at handling my setup (2x RC-50's, RC-LCR, 2xRC10's, 2x RC mini).

The subs have their own amplifiers and offload the low end from my speakers, so that puts even less onus on my AVR.

If I have a deal, and get a two or three amp box, would I like to use it? Sure - more toys and like you've found there may be a slight improvement, but if I'm looking to use my money for the best bang for my buck (or euro, etc. ), then for me in order of importance:

  1. Speakers (including subs)
  2. Room treatments
  3. Modern AVR (the priority being room calibration like Audissey, MCACC, etc. )
  4. Sources (bluray player, turntable, NAS, etc... )
  5. Good universal remote
  6. A good couch
  7. Amplification

This assumes, of course a good display, etc.
post #50697 of 51481
I have to mention though that i noticed more bass output at higher volumes when i started using my xpa amp to power my fronts rather than my denon 4311 avr. It wasn't a huge difference but it was definitely noticeable. I would probably place amplification at around #4 or so but that's just me.
post #50698 of 51481
I noticed more of a improvement while running 2 channel with music. With that being said, I use the the system for HT, and gaming. I'll be returning it this weekend. Would love to try out the cc 690, but it's way to big, and a price tag to match. I'm from Canada, and with taxes it would be close to 2000. Still I'm impressed with the front imaging. The rc-70's are about 12' across from each other, and my seating position is 12' back.
post #50699 of 51481

I'd like to get a new receiver to use with my Energy Reference Connoisseur 7.1 speaker setup. I have RC-70s up front, a RC-LCR center, RC-10s as side surrounds,a pair of Take5s as back surrounds and a Bic America F12 Sub.

My current receiver is a Sony STR-DG820. I'd like a new receiver that will have noticeably better audio quality and last many many years.

 

Would a new receiver give me better sound quality? Denon or Yamaha?

Would Audyssey or YPAO improve my sound quality?

I listen to Movies and Music.

 

Thanks

post #50700 of 51481
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeremye View Post

I'd like to get a new receiver to use with my Energy Reference Connoisseur 7.1 speaker setup. I have RC-70s up front, a RC-LCR center, RC-10s as side surrounds,a pair of Take5s as back surrounds and a Bic America F12 Sub.

My current receiver is a Sony STR-DG820. I'd like a new receiver that will have noticeably better audio quality and last many many years.

Would a new receiver give me better sound quality? Denon or Yamaha?
Would Audyssey or YPAO improve my sound quality?
I listen to Movies and Music.

Thanks

I had a Sony STR-DG800 (no HDMI inputs processed, just a switch). It's essentially the same thing. The sound was pretty good with my HTIB setup, I thought. I went to a Pioneer 1019 and it made a world of difference. I think it was the MCACC system that made the difference.

Then I upgraded the speakers to RC mini's all around (5.1). I liked having the lossless processing, HDMI inputs, etc. It's still in use in my bedroom.

Once I upgraded to a large RC setup, I decided to move to the Pioneer Elite VSX 33. I've had that for four years and it has performed flawlessly for me. I expect I'll upgrade it in some indeterminate time, but there's no rush.

So if you pick a good receiver that has current capabilities, has a good amp section and as many of the features you want as possible, you'll be happy. Audiysey has many backers here, and I'll consider a Denon when I upgrade, but I could easily go with a Pioneer with MCACC and be very happy. I don't know much about YPAO, but it has its backers as well. To me this is the best part of new receivers, the room correction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread