or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Energy Owners Thread - Page 199

post #5941 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post

I thought about that, but I dont really have the space for it. I need something narrow like a center channel, unless it's ok to lay it on its side.

pretty sure you don't wanna do that with a bookshelf...at that point you would want the c-c100 or c-c50.




Hey guys, looking for cable management....I have the speaker wire picked.....what are your thoughts on:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Let me know
post #5942 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post

I don't wanna mess it up though...like what speaker wire on mono price I know I know......I am a noob

If you want a better quality cable then get the speaker wire from Blue Jeans Cable (Belden/Canare) instead but the Banana plugs from Monoprice.
Hopefuly this won't lead to a discussion of coat hanger and snake oil
post #5943 of 51595
Can anyone comment on this Energy speaker package?

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144559//


i was about to pull the trigger on an svs SCS-01 package but it is 600.00 or so more.

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm


thoughts please.
post #5944 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

+1
I was hoping I wasnt the only one thinking that exact same thing. What size is that and where did you get it?

It's 14 gauge wire from monoprice. I think the sleeving on it makes it look bigger than it really is. The expandable sleeving I bought from http://cableorganizer.com/fireretardant. I got the fire retardant kind only because it has the white tracer through it and I like the way it looks. The normal sleeving is just fine as well.
post #5945 of 51595
The Energy package is a great deal. I'm sure there are some comments on the previous pages about it.

You'd still need a add a subwoofer. Nothing Energy sells will compare to an SVS sub.
post #5946 of 51595
Hey guys:

Do these Energy part numbers ring a bell? I'm looking at a picture someone sent me. He said he bought the speakers ~10 years ago, then boxed them up when he moved 8 years ago. They are still in their boxes.

Fronts: e XL-15
Center C XL-C100

What do you suppose they're worth?
post #5947 of 51595
there was a xl-c100 center for sale earlier this month on ebay with a starting bid of $35 and nobody bid on it.

If you catch the right person you might get $100/pr for the bookshelfs and maybe the same for the center. But since you can get the current Energy C-100 bookshelfs for $120/pr you might have a hard time finder a buyer.

Buy you never know, ebay surprises me all the time.

The e:xl-15 speakers have a funky shape to them in the front.

Are you trying to sell them or buy them? If you're buying bid very low. If he's had them in boxes for 8 years, he really can't expect much for them. Not like he valued them over what he was currently using for his HT system.
post #5948 of 51595






Pics of my Monoprice plugs going into my Energy RC30 and RCR.
post #5949 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

there was a xl-c100 center for sale earlier this month on ebay with a starting bid of $35 and nobody bid on it.

Are you trying to sell them or buy them? If you're buying bid very low. If he's had them in boxes for 8 years, he really can't expect much for them. Not like he valued them over what he was currently using for his HT system.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm thinking of buying them. The idea is to have something like C-300s or 500s for R/L, the XL-C100 for center, and the eC-15s for surrounds. Power is via HK-254.

PS If I go the 500s, would that possibly let me go without a sub? I'm not an audio purist any more--my hearing is crap. What I want is DIALOG. This (multichannel) stuff is all new to me. I'm converting from a 1980s Yamaha 2.0 setup.

PPS For you guys using lots of shrink tubing, go to delcity.net. You get 4' sticks of plain or adhesive-lined (called dual wall) shrink tubing for a song. Speaker wire too.
post #5950 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

there was a xl-c100 center for sale earlier this month on ebay with a starting bid of $35 and nobody bid on it.

If you catch the right person you might get $100/pr for the bookshelfs and maybe the same for the center. But since you can get the current Energy C-100 bookshelfs for $120/pr you might have a hard time finder a buyer.

Buy you never know, ebay surprises me all the time.

The e:xl-15 speakers have a funky shape to them in the front.

Are you trying to sell them or buy them? If you're buying bid very low. If he's had them in boxes for 8 years, he really can't expect much for them. Not like he valued them over what he was currently using for his HT system.

You're right, ebay also surprises me at times. I was looking for Energy stuff yesterday and stumbled upon a RC-LCR for cheap. Only prob is that it's a refurb, ebay item 190281567704 for any that are interested. I picked up the LCR myself and it has met and exceeded my needs. So happy!
post #5951 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnysj View Post

Swap the speakers. The left one goes to righ and right to left. If you get the same problem then it is doubtly a receiver problem. Swap the cables too.

Thanks, I tried this yesterday and the issue stayed with the speaker. That leads me to believe it must be a speaker problem, not a receiver problem. I inspected the driver and there doesn't appear to be anything visually wrong.

I guess I'll be sending it back.
post #5952 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

You're right, ebay also surprises me at times. I was looking for Energy stuff yesterday and stumbled upon a RC-LCR for cheap. Only prob is that it's a refurb, ebay item 190281567704 for any that are interested. I picked up the LCR myself and it has met and exceeded my needs. So happy!

How much did you pay? If I decide to get the RC-70s, I'll have a couple of mint LCRs for sale in a few weeks.

I keep vacillating about whether to make the move, but I'm really leaning in that direction. I know I like the sound of the 70s, but I'll have to get them into my room to be able to tell how much of a difference they're going to make. My space is so much different than the showroom. A big problem for me is separation. I'd love to have the space to move my speakers about 2 feet further apart. I just can't do it. That's probably a good argument for getting the 70s, though, because they really opened up the sound in the showroom.
post #5953 of 51595
I just ordered a c-c100 off ebay, and I'm sending back a c-c50.


Just ordered a pa-120 sub as well.
post #5954 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

You're right, ebay also surprises me at times. I was looking for Energy stuff yesterday and stumbled upon a RC-LCR for cheap. Only prob is that it's a refurb, ebay item 190281567704 for any that are interested. I picked up the LCR myself and it has met and exceeded my needs. So happy!

I just sold my kef 3005 setup yesterday for $950. I only paid $900 a year ago for them.
post #5955 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post



Pics of my Monoprice plugs going into my Energy RC30 and RCR.

What did you use for your cable management....I am trying to do 1 order for all my stuff from monoprice.
post #5956 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman609 View Post

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm thinking of buying them. The idea is to have something like C-300s or 500s for R/L, the XL-C100 for center, and the eC-15s for surrounds. Power is via HK-254.

The XL speakers were the predecessors to the C-Series. The e:XL-15's were bookshelves from the original XL series released in 98 or 99. They were replaced a few years later by the three-digit XL's (XL-C100) which were very similar. They should be fairly similar to the C-Series in overall tone but won't be a perfect match.

I used to own the XL-15's, I would guess they are worth about $50 or so and the center is worth about $30-40 or thereabouts...

Unless you are really strapped for cash, if you are getting the C-300's you might as well get the C-C50 + C-50 combo since the drivers/tweeters will be a perfect match.
post #5957 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Can anyone comment on this Energy speaker package?

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144559//

mercury - there is a TON of discussion on the C-Series speakers as they have been on closeout for a couple of months. If you read the last 20-30 pages of this thread you will find more info than you could possibly want about them

In summary: it is an awesome deal for a "budget" 5-speaker setup that will probably blow away anything else you could get for $400.
post #5958 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

You're right, ebay also surprises me at times. I was looking for Energy stuff yesterday and stumbled upon a RC-LCR for cheap. Only prob is that it's a refurb, ebay item 190281567704 for any that are interested. I picked up the LCR myself and it has met and exceeded my needs. So happy!

Yes, Klipsch has been dumping just tons of Energy stuff on ebay lately as refurbs. I would trust them as you aren't buying from some shady 3rd-party, it is direct refurb from Klipsch (which owns Energy) and they have 100% feedback.

......

@ Joseph Clark - you should watch those RC-LCR auctions to gauge the price you could get for your speakers. From what I've seen they have dropped in value a bit.... a year ago a mint rosenut RC-LCR would probably have fetched $350-400 on the used market but it's probably $100 less today.
post #5959 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

mercury - there is a TON of discussion on the C-Series speakers as they have been on closeout for a couple of months. If you read the last 20-30 pages of this thread you will find more info than you could possibly want about them

In summary: it is an awesome deal for a "budget" 5-speaker setup that will probably blow away anything else you could get for $400.


80% movies/xbox 20% music



Thanks batpig.....

heres the deal.

i can get this-
c-500 fronts
c-100 rears
c-c100 center

for 579.00

c-300
c-50
c-c50

for 399.00

or what i was all set to get-

SVS.
5.0 Multi-channel SCS-01 speaker system with SBS-01 surrounds
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

for around 700.00

as far as the sub that will be an svs. receiver not sure yet.

so my question is. how are the energy compared to the svs. although iv not heard the svs im guessing they are put together top notch.

thoughts.
post #5960 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Unless you are really strapped for cash, if you are getting the C-300's you might as well get the C-C50 + C-50 combo since the drivers/tweeters will be a perfect match.

Thanks Batpig. Can I call you Pig? . I saw that answer coming. New 52" LCD, new AVR, 10-year old little speakers. What's wrong with that picture?

Thanks
post #5961 of 51595
Anybody know anything about this company - American Theater? They have RC-70s for $700.

Edit: Nevermind! I just read the reviews. No thanks.
post #5962 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman609 View Post

Thanks Batpig. Can I call you Pig? . I saw that answer coming. New 52" LCD, new AVR, 10-year old little speakers. What's wrong with that picture?

Thanks

everyone always wants to skimp on the speakers

drop a few grand on the TV and AVR and suddenly everyone is looking to get awesome 5.1 sound for $300. the speakers are MORE important than the receiver!

so in summary: get the $399 package + a nice sub and enjoy! do your new system justice
post #5963 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post

pretty sure you don't wanna do that with a bookshelf...at that point you would want the c-c100 or c-c50.

Agreed-- I am using a c-100 on it's side temporarily while I secure a c-c100. It is better than what I had but even I can tell it does not sound quite right, compared with the other 4 channels which are all c-100's.
post #5964 of 51595
After speaking again with the salesman at American, I'm going to get the Energy RC-70s for $714 each. He's letting me take their demo speakers (the ones I auditioned) instead of the pair that has a bad tweeter. They'll replace the tweeter and then use that set for demo. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep them. I'll know the first day if I can make them work and if the sound is enough of an upgrade. (Pretty sure I know that already.)
post #5965 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

After speaking again with the salesman at American, I'm going to get the Energy RC-70s for $714 each. He's letting me take their demo speakers (the ones I auditioned) instead of the pair that has a bad tweeter. They'll replace the tweeter and then use that set for demo. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep them. I'll know the first day if I can make them work and if the sound is enough of an upgrade. (Pretty sure I know that already.)

Thats a GREAT deal. If i can find such deal locally, i will get them in a heart beat. Currently running 6 RC30 all around in 7.1 setup. If i recall correct, the RC70 is the one thats worth the extra money. The RC50 was not that much better than the RC30 that i got.

Now if i ever need to setup a bed room set. I would jump on those C-100 deals. Sound like a great deal. I love the Energy tone, i'm coming from Paradigm btw.
post #5966 of 51595
Just bought the pa-120 on ebay to go with my 5 c100's!

I only went $291 over budget!!!!!!! YEah!
post #5967 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

After speaking again with the salesman at American, I'm going to get the Energy RC-70s for $714 each. He's letting me take their demo speakers (the ones I auditioned) instead of the pair that has a bad tweeter. They'll replace the tweeter and then use that set for demo. I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep them. I'll know the first day if I can make them work and if the sound is enough of an upgrade. (Pretty sure I know that already.)

Congrats! Please give us a full review of RC-LCR's vs. RC-70's for stereo L/R, both with and without sub. If you can fit the 70's I'm sure you will be very happy from everything I've heard...
post #5968 of 51595
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

everyone always wants to skimp on the speakers

drop a few grand on the TV and AVR and suddenly everyone is looking to get awesome 5.1 sound for $300. the speakers are MORE important than the receiver!

so in summary: get the $399 package + a nice sub and enjoy! do your new system justice

Ya, I know the drill. I'm looking at some $1000 (1980s) speakers on the current stereo. God I hate to retire those. They still sound soooooo good and their 12" woofers still shake the walls. No doubt there would be timbre (sp?) problems.

On that bundle, for an extra hundred bucks, they'll throw in the ESW-8 Subwoofer. Worth it? The room is approx 12' X 16'.

Man I wish I could upgrade the satellites and center to C100s.
post #5969 of 51595
if you want to do it right, especially coming from the old 12" thunder, do better than the ESW-8. The PA-120 for $230 shipped off ebay is a great option, or else look at the BIC VK-12 or eD A2-300 for $300-350 ish.

But if you still love the old speakers you may not need to replace them... what brand are they? Perhaps with a little research you could find center/surrounds that timbre match well enough. Although I have a feeling your wife may be happier when the old goliath speakers move to a new home
post #5970 of 51595
batpig any thoughts on this-iv got 1 day to figure it out.

heres the deal.

i can get this-
c-500 fronts
c-100 rears
c-c100 center

for 579.00

c-300
c-50
c-c50

for 399.00

or what i was all set to get-

SVS.
5.0 Multi-channel SCS-01 speaker system with SBS-01 surrounds
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

for around 700.00
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Energy Owners Thread