Furring strips are easy for sure but time consuming. The technique I used to install them was to cut each strip and attach them using temporary screws. Once I was satisfied with the placement and thinking ahead to the fabric attachment and hiding staples - I went back and permanently attached some of the furring strips with 2.5" drywall screws and liquid nails. If you are doing a similar design, note that some furring strips will need to have the fabric attached before attaching the furring strip to the wall due to the staple gun not reaching the proper location. Take my room for example. I did the bottom first and had permanently attached all furring strips there. On the top, I actually attached the fabric to the furring strips for the middle of the wall, then attached the strips to the wall, then pulled the fabric up to the ceiling and temporarily secured the fabric to the top furring strip with push pins. I will try to take pictures of this tonight or tomorrow and post them when I complete the next section. This way when I add the stained wood pinstripe that goes around the center of the room, it will hide these staples.
Changes to the stage would only include making it look nicer cosmetically. I would just make a fancier stage.
Yes - I did all of the work myself except for the carpet.
Congratulations on beginning the build. That is definitely very exciting. Take lots of pictures. I suck at taking pictures but I have forced myself to take as many as possible. My digital camera is ok but it never really captures the shot I want for some reason...I guess I should really break down and read the instruction manual.
I worked with Bpape who is an acoustical engineer here on this forum to give me a calculated analysis of my room for acoustical treatments. He has helped a few of the other guys here too. I actually live near Bud (chinadog) and got to hear his setup after he finished his acoustical treatments recommended by Bpape and I was sold. I wanted the best possible sound inside the room and felt his price to do the analysis was fantastic. I also believe it was worth every penny since I have no acoustical training or experience. I originally was just following other designs and using treatments similar in fashion to the ones I was seeing. Unfortunately, I found out that each room is different and what one person does might not necessarily be what I needed to do. This left me changing quite a bit of things once Bryan's analysis came back. To answer your question though, it was not thick enough. I needed 2" fiberglass in the center and 2 monster sized bass traps in each corner. Basically the 1" of linacoustic was not going to cut it as a bass trap/absorber. I am 10x's happier with the sound of the room now.