or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NHL On NBC in HD (Phil @ Pitt only) 1/21
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL On NBC in HD (Phil @ Pitt only) 1/21 - Page 2  

post #31 of 48
SD on WBAL in Baltimore. They are the worst station when it comes to flipping the switch.
post #32 of 48
Topic title edited since this has become the de facto comment thread on today's regional HD coverage.
post #33 of 48
I think its safe to say they aren't throwing the switch. Nice job WPXI. You gonna forget to flip the switch on the Olympics too?
post #34 of 48
Thread Starter 
Why do the SD cams look so bad? Even on the SD feed which is a digital conversion of the WNBC analog feed you can tell the difference in PQ from the HD to SD cams.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy8
My pregame was COL-DET SD :mad: . Right after the "In the Glass" segment it switched on me to HD PIT-PHI with 2.0 audio :confused: . 5 minutes into the first period it switched back to COL-DET in SD again :mad: .
What the hell is going on???!! Guess I'm not watching hockey today :(

They did the same thing here in Phoenix, but we had the additional wonderful feature of having audio dropouts every 2 seconds while it was in HD. I stopped watching after it switched to COL-DET SD, no point in firing up the PJ for an SD image.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
SD on WBAL in Baltimore. They are the worst station when it comes to flipping the switch.
I knew something was wrong. WBAL multicasts with insta-weather, so I know they are crap to begin with. But this was horrible. I turned it off after 30 seconds.

Good old Baltimore NBC.
post #37 of 48
IN HDlite here.
post #38 of 48
I watched for a minute. I saw macroblocking and a really soft picture. My baseline for a Flyers game in HD is CSN-HD. It was nothing like a CSN-HD game. However, I remain hopeful that the Olympics HD feed will look a lot better.
post #39 of 48
OK, when the cameras were far away, the HD picture looked pretty good (not spectacular like CSI: Miami, but decent). However, as soon as they had a close-up of anyone, it seemed as if it was shot in SD. Why was this?
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck
I would be very surprised if LA or any other west coast city saw a NBC game in HD this year. The way things are regionalized the west coast will most likely never have the game that is going to the greatest amount of viewers.
Try next week. At end of Colorado/LA game, they showed a graphic with the next game next week (Penguins @ Rangers), with one of the starting times being 11:00 AM Pacific. Looks like west coast may get their first HD game.
post #41 of 48
Any idea as to which game will be shown in HD this weekend?
post #42 of 48
No offical listing yet, but the lead crew is doing Pittsburgh @ NY Rangers so that will probably be the one.

From http://nbcumv.com/sports/release_det...entsonnbc.html
SATURDAY, JANUARY 28
2 p.m. ? 4:30 p.m.
NHL ON NBC (Detroit @ Dallas/Pittsburgh @ New York Rangers/Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia) (Regional Coverage ? live)
Commentators: Mike Emrick, John Davidson, Pierre McGuire (Pittsburgh@ NY Rangers); Chris Cuthbert, Peter McNab, Cammi Granato (Detroit@ Dallas); Dave Strader, Brian Hayward, Joe Michelleti (Tampa Bay@ Philadelphia)
Site: American Airlines Arena, Dallas, Texas; Madison Square Garden, New York; First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
*Lead game (TBA) available in High Definition
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM
Site: American Airlines Arena, Dallas, Texas; Madison Square Garden, New York; First Union Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
*Lead game (TBA) available in High Definition
WTF!, how can someone working at the network level, put out a press release and not know the First Union Center is now called Wachovia Center? Sorry for that small rant.
post #44 of 48
SATURDAY, JANUARY 28
2 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
NHL ON NBC (*Pittsburgh @ New York Rangers/-Detroit @ Dallas/-Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4
2 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
NHL ON NBC (*Detroit @ Colorado/-New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh /-Dallas @ St. Louis)
*= High Definition Game
post #45 of 48
Anyone happen to know how in the bloody blue blazes of hell they are determining who sees what in their abyssmal coverage map? I mean, why in the hell would I (being in Houston, TX) want to see the battle of PA if I am one state away from Colorado? There's no rhyme or reason to who is seeing what. Either way, I'm sure the local goons here will pick the most worthless game to show in all it's SD glory here this weekend. GO NBC (Nothing But Crap)!

Later,
Jeff in Houston
post #46 of 48
Hmm hopefully the Feb. 4th game between Detroit and Colorado is in my area. I'm guessing it will be since I got the Detroit game when they played against the Rangers. Go Avalanche.
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceblade
Anyone happen to know how in the bloody blue blazes of hell they are determining who sees what in their abyssmal coverage map? I mean, why in the hell would I (being in Houston, TX) want to see the battle of PA if I am one state away from Colorado? There's no rhyme or reason to who is seeing what. Either way, I'm sure the local goons here will pick the most worthless game to show in all it's SD glory here this weekend. GO NBC (Nothing But Crap)!
Good question. That has been the talk in many of the hockey forums, etc.
You would think logic would come into play in this decision. You would think they would at least show a western conference game in a western conference city/state.
The official word from NBC is they want the HD game to be seen by as many people as possible.
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70
Try next week. At end of Colorado/LA game, they showed a graphic with the next game next week (Penguins @ Rangers), with one of the starting times being 11:00 AM Pacific. Looks like west coast may get their first HD game.
Makes no sense to me, this game means little to Western Conference cities, while Detroit vs. Dallas does.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NHL On NBC in HD (Phil @ Pitt only) 1/21