or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dali speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dali speakers - Page 8

post #211 of 3437
In my main setup I have Onix Ref3 mains and Ref100 centers. In my newly aquired secondary setup I have Dali Ikon 6 mains and Vokal 2 centers. In both cases the mains have 6 1/2" woofers and the centers use 5.x" woofers --- and in both cases the front soundstage is seamless with sub crossovers as low as 60Hz.

I've read elsewhere that the Ikon 1, which I have not heard, is 'thin' in the bass dept. -- so even with two of that 4" woofer, I'd not use the Vokal 1 center -- in fact, I'd always use the Vokal 2 center, even with Ikon 1 mains!

I think 5.x" PORTED centers are the way to go, as they have enough bass to blend with typical sub crossover frequencies, and the 5.x" drivers often result in better vocal intelligibility, and have subjectively more accurate midrange performance than 6 1/2" drivers do. Because centers are often placed in furniture, the ports should be on the front (as the Vokal 2s are).

If you have time and money, I'm told Dali is coming out with a Mentor center, which, from the reported cabinet size, is using the 6 1/2" woofers.
post #212 of 3437
I checked the Suite specs - it turns out that the center speaker C8.0 is with 6.1/2'' woofers like the Suite 2.8 mains amd the surrounds. Interesting that with the Ikons it is different.
post #213 of 3437
Would someone be so kind and provide the current MSRP's on the following Dali Euphonia speakers? Dali may have increased their pricing since the last time this information was provided.

Thank you,
Charles

**************
Euphonia MS4
Euphonia RS3
Euphonia CS4
post #214 of 3437
Never mind.. Straight from Dali if anyone needs the info.

Euphonia MS4 - $8,950 Cherry/Maple Finish - $9,450 Alpi/Rogue Finish

Euphonia RS3 - $4,300 All the above Finishes

Euphonia CS4 - $4,000 - Cherry/Maple Finish - $4,300 Alpi/Rogue Finish
post #215 of 3437
here's a pic of the MENTOR center speaker
big stuff
still no center should be run in large unless it has say 2x30cm
or in 38 and even then...

cut those Dali, Klipsch RC64 at 60 or 80hz (better)

BUT ! the dynamics, distortion-free from these big centers cut in small
is remarquable.

smaller centers should be cut even higher, 100hz
LL
post #216 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Would anyone hazard a guess as to a comparison with av123 Rocket's or Reference's or Strata's with a particular Dali line (similar, worse, better)? I'm trying to get a base line of reference.

I've been wondering the same thing. I just bought a pair of Stratas and was a little underwhelmed... I demoed a pair of Helicon 400s a few weeks back and was awed. Does anyone have any thoughts about how these two speakers would stack up against one another?
post #217 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

I've been wondering the same thing. I just bought a pair of Stratas and was a little underwhelmed... I demoed a pair of Helicon 400s a few weeks back and was awed. Does anyone have any thoughts about how these two speakers would stack up against one another?

Apologies for entering this thread - but I saw the reference to the Mini...

Can you tell me (us) a little bit about how you set The Mini up - associated gear - and are you going 2-channel or HT? I'd like to offer a few ideas or tips that may help...

The Helicon 400 is an AWESOME product for sure - but quite different in approach and "style" to that of The Strata Mini...

Please do let me know...

Most humbly...

mls
post #218 of 3437
Mark -

I've got a Cambridge 640C v.2 CD player feeding a Krell Showcase pre/pro driven by a Rotel RB-1080 amp. I run a 2 channel rig that I use for home theater as well as music. The problem is that right now I don't have an ideal room to set the Stratas up in. I just graduated from college and I'm in my parents' house temporarily while doing the job hunt thing, so I have to work around their things. The primary issue is that I can't get the speakers as far apart as I'd like - I'm at about four-and-a-half feet now.

I've performed the set-up as outlined in the manual, using the SPL meter and so forth. Please be assured that I haven't passed final judgment on the Stratas, and I'm also acutely aware of the fact that since they were mishandled in delivery, they might have sustained some damage (there are two cracks to the veneer on one and a dent on the cabinet on the other ). Also, please accept my compliments on what is certainly the finest customer service that I've ever received in ANY industry - you guys are fantastic!

- Win
post #219 of 3437
I'm still lovin my M5s. Great speaker. A bit hard to place but worth getting set-up right.
post #220 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

I'm still lovin my M5s. Great speaker. A bit hard to place but worth getting set-up right.

I recently started playing around with the MS4s more, and I have to say they are incredible. They like a good amplifier, but once you pair them right they will reward you.

The MS5 is considerably larger and takes much more care in terms of placement. Great speakers!
post #221 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

Mark -

I've got a Cambridge 640C v.2 CD player feeding a Krell Showcase pre/pro driven by a Rotel RB-1080 amp. I run a 2 channel rig that I use for home theater as well as music. The problem is that right now I don't have an ideal room to set the Stratas up in. I just graduated from college and I'm in my parents' house temporarily while doing the job hunt thing, so I have to work around their things. The primary issue is that I can't get the speakers as far apart as I'd like - I'm at about four-and-a-half feet now.

I've performed the set-up as outlined in the manual, using the SPL meter and so forth. Please be assured that I haven't passed final judgment on the Stratas, and I'm also acutely aware of the fact that since they were mishandled in delivery, they might have sustained some damage (there are two cracks to the veneer on one and a dent on the cabinet on the other ). Also, please accept my compliments on what is certainly the finest customer service that I've ever received in ANY industry - you guys are fantastic!

- Win

Good Morning Win...

Thanks so much for your reply...

I took a look at what you had posted on "av" and I would very much like to chat it over with you and help...

I noted your current restraints, etc.

I posted my e-mail and mobile phone for you to connect with me when I'm out of Viet Nam... (expensive to chat from here )...

I look forward to connecting with you...

Many thanks...

All the best...

mls
post #222 of 3437
win200,
If I was you I'd be livid.
The founder of the company won't talk to you until he's back in the hemisphere and he only gave you his e-mail and cell?
What the hell kind of customer service is that?
Unbelieveable customer service if you ask me.
No wonder AV123 has so many loyal acolytes.
post #223 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

win200,
If I was you I'd be livid.
The founder of the company won't talk to you until he's back in the hemisphere and he only gave you his e-mail and cell?
What the hell kind of customer service is that?
Unbelieveable customer service if you ask me.
No wonder AV123 has so many loyal acolytes.

I know, it's pretty incredible, isn't it? I couldn't sing this company's praises enough. Every single person I've dealt with has been courteous and helpful. I've never encountered a company so eager to provide me with help AFTER I'd shelled out the money for their product. It's such a relief knowing that if there were ever a problem with any aspect of the product, I'd have people there waiting to help. That makes all the difference in the world when you're talking about investments of thousands of dollars.
post #224 of 3437
I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of IKON 6s, and they're both damaged on arrival--the dome tweeters are dented. Has anyone else seen this problem?

I lovingly and carefully unpacked the first one, attached the feet, turned it right side up and gently pulled off the grill (following the directions to loosen all six attachment points first). There was a V-shaped piece of foam behind the grill with a hole in it that looks like it is intended to protect the dome tweeter, but it looks like it did the opposite--the V was mounted slightly crooked and the dome is dented on one side.

I unpacked the other one with even greater care, only to find the same problem with the other one, except the V was shifted in the opposite direction.




Notice in the picture below that one of the pins goes through the lower hole but the other on goes between the two holes (close-up at bottom). Both speakers were packed this way!


post #225 of 3437
shane,

what a bummer man! i hope you are able to get those fixed.

i had the opportunity to check out the ikon 2's and was very impressed! dali is definitely on my short list!
post #226 of 3437
Shanemar,

When you received the Dali's, did the boxes appear to have any damage?

The Dali's that I received were packaged extremely well. I'd suggest to contact your dealer first and see if you can resolve the issue. If not, contact Dali directly with your situation.
post #227 of 3437
These were also packaged extremely well except for the foam V. There was no indication of damage to the boxes at all, and it's clear that this problem wasn't caused in shipping but rather in packing. They're already back at the dealer and my pictures have been forwarded to Dali. One thing the dealer said was that they IKON 6s that they received recently did not have the foam V. That appears to be a new (and ill-advised) packaging feature. I should have word from Dali about this early next week (everyone's out at CEDIA, of course), but my dealer has said they'll make it right.

Shane
post #228 of 3437
How are Dali center channel speakers? I was thinking about getting a setup of Ikons or Mentors, but am concerned about the center.

I've found the center channels to be the weakest link in many product lines. The Dali center speakers seem to be a MTM design and I have seen many negative comments (lobing, poor off-axis performance) regarding that design.

Thanks
post #229 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemcr View Post

have the foam V. That appears to be a new (and ill-advised) packaging feature. I should have word from Dali about this early next week (everyone's out at CEDIA, of course), but my dealer has said they'll make it right.

Shane

They should just ship you a new pair and have the others returned to see what happened.
Let us know how it works out.
post #230 of 3437
I am so happy I found this thread. I am thinking about upgrading my current speaker system. My current set-up is:
Arcam AVR350 Receiver
Paradigm Studio 80 V2 Fronts
Paradigm Studio CC V2 Center
SVS PB-13 Ultra Sub
Denon 2910 dvd/sacd/dvd-audio
Balanced Power Technology HCPC Power Center
Velodyne SMS-1
upgraded cables and power cords by Signal Cable
Audioquest Midnight speaker cable

I am thinking about the Ikon 6 with the Vokal 2 Center (this was recommended by a friend as well). And I was hoping for some feedback. Thanks!
post #231 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

They should just ship you a new pair and have the others returned to see what happened.
Let us know how it works out.

Got the word from my dealer today. Dali is shipping out new tweeter arrays and my dealer will come to my home to install them. I brought the speakers back home and they work and sound really good compared to my old speakers (it's a big step up from what I had) even with the dented dome tweeters.

I'm fine with this solution as it's clear that the only damage is to the dome tweeters.
post #232 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemcr View Post

Got the word from my dealer today. Dali is shipping out new tweeter arrays and my dealer will come to my home to install them. I brought the speakers back home and they work and sound really good compared to my old speakers (it's a big step up from what I had) even with the dented dome tweeters.

I'm fine with this solution as it's clear that the only damage is to the dome tweeters.

It looks like an easy repair from the pictures.

SM
post #233 of 3437
Yes, it does. I'd do it myself if it was my fault, but since Dali's paying I'd just as soon let the pros do it.
post #234 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I am so happy I found this thread. I am thinking about upgrading my current speaker system. My current set-up is:
Arcam AVR350 Receiver
Paradigm Studio 80 V2 Fronts
Paradigm Studio CC V2 Center
SVS PB-13 Ultra Sub
Denon 2910 dvd/sacd/dvd-audio
Balanced Power Technology HCPC Power Center
Velodyne SMS-1
upgraded cables and power cords by Signal Cable
Audioquest Midnight speaker cable

I am thinking about the Ikon 6 with the Vokal 2 Center (this was recommended by a friend as well). And I was hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

I haven't heard those Paradigms either alone or to compare to the IKON 6, but from what I gather the Paradigms are (or were) somewhat more expensive, so you should definitely compare before buying to make sure you're getting a sound quality upgrade. The Paras have a good reputation but the IKON 6s really are amazing for the price, so they might actually be an upgrade.

Of course, you can always look higher up in the Dali line if you're willing to spend the money.
post #235 of 3437
What are you using for rears? If you do go with the IKONs, the On Walls are a good match for rears.

By the way, I have an SVS sub, too. It kicks my basement's ass.
post #236 of 3437
Is $3300 for a pair of Helicon 400's a good price? Thanks for the help.
post #237 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Is $3300 for a pair of Helicon 400's a good price? Thanks for the help.

New or used?
post #238 of 3437
Brand new
post #239 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Brand new

There is a pair on of demo's, in rose wood, on audiogon for 2900 if that helps.
post #240 of 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Is $3300 for a pair of Helicon 400's a good price? Thanks for the help.

Thats a reasonable price for new Helicon 400s. However, FYI the 400s as well as the rest of the Helicons are on closeout right now, so inventory is extremely tight. I would make up your mind asap so you can secure a pair before they sell out.

The new Helicon 400mkII is supposed to start shipping next month, but I think the retail price will be pushing 6000-6500/pair.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dali speakers