or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Abilene, TX - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 11

post #301 of 1226
Just for the record... Waco is substantially larger media market. Number 95 of 210 while Abilene is 164. It could be worse... San Angelo is 197.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_media_market
post #302 of 1226
San Angelo standard def channels are carried on Dish but not D*.
When KLST and the cable company stopped talking and the carriage agreement expired , people needed an alternative, so Dish was smart enough to start offerling locals then.
post #303 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnn View Post

Just ran across this little nugget: DirecTV is adding local HD channels in Waco. Not sure exactly what that means for the previously-cited rumors about our market, though.

(and no, I'm not jsalaz33 in disguise....)

Does anybody know about a timeline for Dish picking up the local HD's in Abilene? I've checked the threads back to September and didn't see any mention of it. OTA is okay but I've had allot of trouble in bad weather.

Also, for you Suddenlink subscribers, why don't they pick up KTXS HD ?
post #304 of 1226
I don't think there are currently any plans to add HD locals on Dish. They need more satellite space to add more locals in HD and right now they don't have enough. I think they are suppose to launch at least one, maybe two, new sats early in 2008 but I seriously doubt we will see Abilene locals in HD any time soon.

As far as KTXS-HD and Suddenlink go, I think they are still trying to work out a carriage agreement and they might also be having bandwidth problems. Not really any other reason they wouldn't have them on I wouldn't think.
post #305 of 1226
Just wanted to verify something as a newcomer; I'm in Snyder but have Suddenlink out of Abilene.

The only QAM channels I can pick up (besides the music & promo stuff) are CBS and 2 NBC affiliates, is that about right? No FOX, ABC or PBS.
post #306 of 1226
Friday evening I lost my OTA KRBC HD signal channel 9.1.

Anyone else loose theirs as well ?
post #307 of 1226
I watched the Harry Potter movie on Saturday night and the Superbowl on Sunday and the picture was great. Good, strong OTA signal. However, no DD 5.1 but my receiver indicated a Dolby 2.0 signal. Anyway, I am thrilled that we finally have HD on at least one channel and hope this will force the other stations to follow soon.
post #308 of 1226
Does anybody know about a timeline for Dish picking up the local HD's in Abilene? I've checked the threads back to September and didn't see any mention of it. OTA is okay but I've had allot of trouble in bad weather.

Also, for you Suddenlink subscribers, why don't they pick up KTXS HD ?
post #309 of 1226
San Angelo standard def channels are carried on Dish but not D*.
When KLST and the cable company stopped talking and the carriage agreement expired , people needed an alternative, so Dish was smart enough to start offerling locals then.
post #310 of 1226
Friday evening I lost my OTA KRBC HD signal channel 9.1.

Anyone else loose theirs as well ?
post #311 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by VjitKetrines View Post

Friday evening I lost my OTA KRBC HD signal channel 9.1.

Anyone else loose theirs as well ?

Yes. Sat morning and it is still off the air.
post #312 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post

Just wanted to verify something as a newcomer; I'm in Snyder but have Suddenlink out of Abilene.

The only QAM channels I can pick up (besides the music & promo stuff) are CBS and 2 NBC affiliates, is that about right? No FOX, ABC or PBS.

That is correct. KXVA (Fox) is waiting until they are forced to go digital and KTXS (ABC) is not giving their digital signal to Suddenlink for some reason. It drives me crazy if I want to watch something on ABC and have to hook up and antenna and do an OTA scan.
post #313 of 1226
Sunday night, and still no KRBC 9.1
I suppose they will fix it, whatever It is, tomorrow.
post #314 of 1226
Thread Starter 
Monday night and KRBC DT is still off the air. The OTA SD signal is coming through, so it must be the HD or digital signal that is the problem.
post #315 of 1226
Talked to someone in the control room of KRBC this morning and he said a part had shorted out and they were trying to locate another part. So far they haven't had much success finding it and he expected it would be at least another couple of weeks before they got it going. He said the engineers were still trying to find out what caused the short. I'm not not sure if it was a major piece of equipment of not. Somehow I had the feeling it might be.
post #316 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

Talked to someone in the control room of KRBC this morning and he said a part had shorted out and they were trying to locate another part. So far they haven't had much success finding it and he expected it would be at least another couple of weeks before they got it going. He said the engineers were still trying to find out what caused the short. I'm not not sure if it was a major piece of equipment of not. Somehow I had the feeling it might be.

Understood but why would it work on Suddenlink and not OTA? I watched the Sunday night NFL game at a friends house who has Suddenlink HD but it didn't work on my OTA....
post #317 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedwards1 View Post

Understood but why would it work on Suddenlink and not OTA? I watched the Sunday night NFL game at a friends house who has Suddenlink HD but it didn't work on my OTA....

As I understand it, it is a different form of transmission where it is tied into suddenlink at the studio rather than having to go through the tower.
post #318 of 1226
KRBC probably has a direct fiber optic link from the studio to the cable company. Many of the new Digital Stations do this for reliability and quality purposes.
post #319 of 1226
Good news--KRBC 9.1 is back on the air.
post #320 of 1226
I just signed up for Dish Network earlier today, and now I am interested in getting OTA signals from ABC, CBS and NBC (so I can get whatever HD broadcasts are out there, plus during severe weather). I know that KTXS is the weakest of the three, but what antennas are you guys using to pull in your signal? I have had someone suggest the Terrestrial Digital DB4 antenna. I would prefer to put it in the attic...the coax run would be about 30' and I live about a mile south of the mall just off of Chimney Rock Road.

Anyone have a similar setup to what I'd like to do?

Thanks!

Brian
post #321 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenejunkie View Post

I just signed up for Dish Network earlier today, and now I am interested in getting OTA signals from ABC, CBS and NBC (so I can get whatever HD broadcasts are out there, plus during severe weather). I know that KTXS is the weakest of the three, but what antennas are you guys using to pull in your signal? I have had someone suggest the Terrestrial Digital DB4 antenna. I would prefer to put it in the attic...the coax run would be about 30' and I live about a mile south of the mall just off of Chimney Rock Road.

Anyone have a similar setup to what I'd like to do?

Thanks!

Brian

I live in that general area and have a "bat wing" antenna in the attic that was installed by D.A.T.A. here in Abilene. It pulls in all the local digital stations. I also had an indoor antenna that worked fairly well upstairs that I purchased from Radio Shack. Looks like a flying saucer, not too large and can be changed directionally with a small remote control that came with it. It is almost a hit and miss situation, particularly since KTXS has such a low power output. Good luck.
post #322 of 1226
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenejunkie View Post

I just signed up for Dish Network earlier today, and now I am interested in getting OTA signals from ABC, CBS and NBC (so I can get whatever HD broadcasts are out there, plus during severe weather). I know that KTXS is the weakest of the three, but what antennas are you guys using to pull in your signal? I have had someone suggest the Terrestrial Digital DB4 antenna. I would prefer to put it in the attic...the coax run would be about 30' and I live about a mile south of the mall just off of Chimney Rock Road.

Anyone have a similar setup to what I'd like to do?

Thanks!

Brian

I live in the same general area and use a Radio Shack Omnidirectional TV Antenna mounted on the roof by my fireplace chimney to pick up all the local stations, both HD and SD. It worked fiine when they were low power digital and works great now. I think it is this antenna on the Radio Shack web site: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family or one very similar to it. I use a diplexer and multi-switch system to get the signal to all the sets in the house.
post #323 of 1226
I live a few blocks north of cooper high and I can get KTXS with indoor powered rabbit ears. It does have to be aimed just right, but when it is I get it perfect without dropouts.
post #324 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenejunkie View Post

I just signed up for Dish Network earlier today, and now I am interested in getting OTA signals from ABC, CBS and NBC (so I can get whatever HD broadcasts are out there, plus during severe weather). I know that KTXS is the weakest of the three, but what antennas are you guys using to pull in your signal? I have had someone suggest the Terrestrial Digital DB4 antenna. I would prefer to put it in the attic...the coax run would be about 30' and I live about a mile south of the mall just off of Chimney Rock Road.

Anyone have a similar setup to what I'd like to do?

Thanks!

Brian

I live in Stonegate just across from the mall...I use a cheap Radioshack powered rabbit ears setup and it works fine to bring in everything available. I'm not even sure the "powered" part is really needed..
post #325 of 1226
I just want to chime in and say how great it is that Fox managed to snag so many Bowl games.


post #326 of 1226
Well here's hoping that this is the last year that we have to worry about them being so crappy looking. (Hey I am trying to start the year out positively.)
post #327 of 1226
It's not so much the analog part that bothers me so much as the fact that KXVA seems to have the worst (imo) analog of all the locals. Last nights Fiesta Bowl was near unwatchable even though I don't like OU.

Anyway...does anyone have the latest on KTXS (ABC) and suddenlink as far as the digital channel being fed through cable? If it wasn't for that I wouldn't bother with an antenna at all..
post #328 of 1226
I was at Suddenlink the other day and asked about KTXS and the girl said "They are still negotiating". I then told her that I was having to watch the digital signal via bunny ears and she looked at me like I was crazy. She had no idea what I was talking about.
post #329 of 1226
I really want to watch LOST in HD and I have to record it because I'm never home when it comes on. I've decided that the cheapest way to record it is with an HDTV card in my computer and bring the signal in through my bunny ears.

Here's two questions. 1) When I record it to my hard drive I'm assuming that an hour show would be like 2 gigs. If I then burn it to a dvd to watch on my tv won't it be in high definition? I heard that you can only burn high def to hddvd or blu-ray discs but a normal dvd will hold 4.7 gigs won't it?

2) I could hook my computer up to my tv but I'm not sure what connection to use. My tv has a vga in port and an hdmi port. My computer has a vga out and a dvi out. I can get a cable that will do dvi to hdmi. Which would be the better video connection? I'll have to deal with audio a different way.
post #330 of 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by abileneguy2005 View Post

I really want to watch LOST in HD and I have to record it because I'm never home when it comes on. I've decided that the cheapest way to record it is with an HDTV card in my computer and bring the signal in through my bunny ears.

Here's two questions. 1) When I record it to my hard drive I'm assuming that an hour show would be like 2 gigs. If I then burn it to a dvd to watch on my tv won't it be in high definition? I heard that you can only burn high def to hddvd or blu-ray discs but a normal dvd will hold 4.7 gigs won't it?

2) I could hook my computer up to my tv but I'm not sure what connection to use. My tv has a vga in port and an hdmi port. My computer has a vga out and a dvi out. I can get a cable that will do dvi to hdmi. Which would be the better video connection? I'll have to deal with audio a different way.

As long as you have decent sound from your computer I would use the DVI-HDMI cable as long as your tv doesn't have issues with scaling....otherwise the VGA port would be better obviously.

The problem for me (no KTXS digital on Suddenlink) is that both my tv (Panasonic TH-42PZ77U 1080p plasma) and my dvr (Philips DVDR 3575H) have ATSC/QAM tuners but neither will do an all inclusive scan of analog/digital/antenna signals. Analog/digital can be done together on both but doing a over the air scan on either one means losing all the digi/analog channels, and then having to do the painfully slow process again if I want them back. I really wish either KTXS would cave in or Suddenlink ponies up the cash SOON.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Abilene, TX - HDTV