or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Is your local news in HD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is your local news in HD? - Page 9

post #241 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Well, no HD for KFMB, yet. (Hey, I made a rhymie )

New update from hdtv.forsandiego.com...

Starts Jan 28 (Sunday) with the 5:00 PM newscast. Will wait and see.
post #242 of 2144
Here in Houston, we have 2 HD news stations out of the 5 total news stations. KTRK-TV/DT (ABC 13) now has an HD news helicopter (in addition to their SD helicopter), and also has an HD "Tower Cam" to get HD views of Downtown Houston and the Galleria (Williams Tower). KHOU-TV/DT (CBS 11) announced that on Superbowl Sunday (2/4/07) they will begin local studio news in 1080i HD - a first for Houston.
post #243 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

New update from hdtv.forsandiego.com...

Starts Jan 28 (Sunday) with the 5:00 PM newscast. Will wait and see.

Update. KFMB news did start their HD broadcasting with the 5:00 PM Sunday news (January 28). Officially, commercials are announcing that they start on Monday.

Some recorded material is 4:3 upconvert, but some live remotes are 16:9.
post #244 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by km-in-houston View Post

Here in Houston, we have 2 HD news stations out of the 5 total news stations. KTRK-TV/DT (ABC 13) now has an HD news helicopter (in addition to their SD helicopter), and also has an HD "Tower Cam" to get HD views of Downtown Houston and the Galleria (Williams Tower). KHOU-TV/DT (CBS 11) announced that on Superbowl Sunday (2/4/07) they will begin local studio news in 1080i HD - a first for Houston.

KHOU news in houston was in HD tonight. Right now. Looks good.
post #245 of 2144
well I'm happy to say that Nashville, Tennessee is joining the ranks of the HD-elite (for local news anyway). Just saw an ad for the local CBS NewsChannel5 (WTVF-DT) affail about the news being in HD, starting following the superbowl.

http://www.wtvf.com/global/Category.asp?c=92320
post #246 of 2144
Nashville's CBS affiliate WTVF (the station that first put Oprah on the air as a reporter) is launching HD for their local news broadcasts during the Super Bowl. It's a reported $10 million effort that includes everything from cameras to servers to a new make-up artist. They will be the first station in Tennessee to go HD for local news.

This launch guarentees them maximum exposure when a large number of middle Tennessee's HD televisions will be tuned into their station. Is any other station in the country using the Super Bowl to launch a local HD news upgrade?
post #247 of 2144
I emailed cbs in los angeles they said they hope to go HD late april 2007.
post #248 of 2144
Threads merged.
post #249 of 2144
WFAA in Dallas, TX just flipped the HD switch this morning on their news. They had a featured story showing their new production room and equipment that they are now using to make the switch to a 16:9 HD format.
post #250 of 2144
KOIN in Portland (CBS affiliate) has just gone widescreen. Yeah definitely not HD but that still puts them ahead of everyone else in town. All the 4:3 material (i.e. everything outside the studio) has "KOIN News" curtains on the sides. The graphics are 16:9 but 100% center-cut safe of course and the halos around the graphics to make them look better on NTSC sets are really distracting. Someone must have set those to maximum.

I'm hoping that another station will see this move as a challenge.
post #251 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.lynch View Post

WFAA in Dallas, TX just flipped the HD switch this morning on their news. They had a featured story showing their new production room and equipment that they are now using to make the switch to a 16:9 HD format.

I heard them say that WFAA will be the first in North Texas to broadcast in HDTV, but who would have been the first in Texas? Is it a Austin Stations?
post #252 of 2144
North Texas Channel 8 in DFW Just aired its first news cast in HD! I just caught the end of it. They had a segment on the news about it. Ill watch it again at 6.
post #253 of 2144
Nashville's WTVF-DT Newschannel 5 went HD for its newscast a couple of days early this evening, premiering the Friday 5 PM broadcast. I can't say that I blame them for doing a trial run to get the kinks out before the Super Bowl coming out show. The studio shots looked good with a gorgeous piano black desk. Remote shots were mostly 16:9 480i shots (including a helicopter shot) except for one 1080i shot outside their studio. Weather maps are in HD and look great. Most graphics for formatted for 16:9 and 4:3 (much like the networks do for sports broadcasts) with the exception of some "perp" slides. A very nice launch!
post #254 of 2144
WFAA, Dallas ABC (Belo)
Belo Launches Hi-Def News in Dallas
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

KHOU, Houston CBS (Belo)
High-definition TV news makes local debut Sunday
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4523207.html

WTVF, Nashville CBS (Landmark)
NewsChannel 5 Starts HDTV Broadcasts
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6036704
post #255 of 2144
WTVF's new HD news looked great last night. More of an impact than I expected.

-Reagan
post #256 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by survineer View Post

I hope this is as good as any other place to post my question. Why do my local HD stations (Cleveland) have to switch to SD when scrolling weather bulletins across the screen?

It is because the local operation can't superimpose graphics over the HD network feed and keep it in HD - and instead have to take the SD feed (rather than a downconversion of the HD feed I would guess), super their SD graphics over that in the SD domain, and then upconvert this for the HD service.

It is a limitation of the graphics and/or vision mixer/network handling at the local station.

AIUI in many stations the HD set-up is minimal - just passing the network HD feed through with a simple hard cut to any local SD material (local commercials, news and locally replayed programming) upconverted to HD being broadcast on the HD digital feed.
post #257 of 2144
KCRA 3 news In Sacramento is set to go HD sometime in February. Not sure about the date though.
post #258 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

KCRA 3 news In Sacramento is set to go HD sometime in February. Not sure about the date though.

Word on the street is that it might happen this week ...
post #259 of 2144
That's what somebody said was supposed to happen last week.
post #260 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

That's what somebody said was supposed to happen last week.

Well, you know how this stuff goes -- people set goals, and then something unexpected causes a delay. I'm still hoping to see something this week, based on what my sources are telling me ...
post #261 of 2144
So far nothing here in the Hartford DMA. I emailed each of the local stations in the area. WTNH (ABC) plans to be in "True HD" by 2009. WTIC (Fox) has no plans for HD news. WFSB (CBS) did not respond yet but they are building a new studio to be ready in fall-2007 which I assume will mean they will be ready for HD. They ran a couple of HD promos during the SuperBowl. WVIT (NBC) is NBC O&O so I assume they will be following the O&O movement towards HD sometime soon. Wish we would get something here. :/
post #262 of 2144
There are reports (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...ting_52283.asp) Steve Capus, executive producer of "NBC Nightly News", announced in a recent internal meeting NBC Nightly News will go HD in March, with HD field cameras coming in 2008. This appears to have been confirmed by NBC itself (http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=578).

This marks the first time a major nightly American newscast will shift production to HD. As much network news content is provided by local affiliates, of which roughly 98% are still producing in SD, I think NBC will find it challenging to put together a complete HD presentation, so this could put increased pressure on NBC affiliates to upgrade their local newscasts to HD. As well, this could increase pressure on the other network news operations.
post #263 of 2144
in NY, my NBC news is in HD. Gotta love it. Once some game shows and the news go HD, you know things are getting good
post #264 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

KCRA 3 news In Sacramento is set to go HD sometime in February. Not sure about the date though.

Latest word on this is now that they are shooting for this coming Monday (Feb 12) at 5pm ...
post #265 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.jackson View Post

There are reports (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...ting_52283.asp) Steve Capus, executive producer of "NBC Nightly News", announced in a recent internal meeting NBC Nightly News will go HD in March, with HD field cameras coming in 2008. This appears to have been confirmed by NBC itself (http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=578).

This marks the first time a major nightly American newscast will shift production to HD. As much network news content is provided by local affiliates, of which roughly 98% are still producing in SD, I think NBC will find it challenging to put together a complete HD presentation, so this could put increased pressure on NBC affiliates to upgrade their local newscasts to HD. As well, this could increase pressure on the other network news operations.

Considering that just about everything else produced live in 30 Rock is in HD now, it's not a stretch to change the Brian Williams show to HD. The biggest problem is not the production of the show itself since they have plenty of experience now doing the Today Show for 3 hours a day, every day. The biggest problem will be handling the field content...virtually all of it will likely be 480i and hopefully that will be 16:9 when possible. But in far off places and war zones, that may not yet be possible. What would be nice to see is HD cameras in regional bureaus like L.A. or Washington DC which often are used for reports or talking head commentary. HD cams in regular field reporting locations like the White House or Pentagon would be nice if they could pull it off.

After that, the news division could turn their sights to Dateline. Since much of that show is shot with field cams days or weeks earlier and edited, you could do a lot of that show in HD. And finally there's Meet the Press. If memory serves me correctly, I think the set for that show was done for HD way back in the late '90s when the local DC NBC affiliate was doing HD testing. Ironically, the show itself has never been in HD. If it were updated to HD, I'm sure they would probably ditch the current "HD" set for another one.

Of course the biggest problem for all of this is cost. With GE desperate to cut costs across the board with NBC Universal, this could be the biggest challenge for doing all their news shows in HD. If equipment for some of the production of these shows was scheduled to be replaced and updated anyway, then the overall cost of the project would be less.
post #266 of 2144
KCRA (Sacramento) is now running on-air promos stating that today's 5pm newscast will be in HD ...
post #267 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post

in NY, my NBC news is in HD. Gotta love it. Once some game shows and the news go HD, you know things are getting good

Ch 7 (WABC) in NY also has news in HD, although I think WNBC looks better. WCBS and local FOX news is still SD.

Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are already in HD.
post #268 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

KCRA (Sacramento) is now running on-air promos stating that today's 5pm newscast will be in HD ...

And it's official - KCRA in Sacramento is now broadcasting their news in HD. All looks good, from what I was able to watch.
post #269 of 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post

And it's official - KCRA in Sacramento is now broadcasting their news in HD. All looks good, from what I was able to watch.

I posted some screenshots over in the Sacramento OTA thread for anyone interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9761414
post #270 of 2144
So has anyone heard of what's up with KGO news ?? They had several commercials about going HD and now nothing. I know they were redoing the studio but that's over with ( or so it seems ) and still no HD. So where's the beef..... er..... HD ??

Laters,
Mikef5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Is your local news in HD?