or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI drivers just get better & better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATI drivers just get better & better  

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I will post.

Ati released the new 6.2 drivers on 02/09/06

I was so glad that with the 6.1, they finaly fixed the so called "DVI blackout" Bug.
For the past few versions I was not able to do custom resolutions although I had been able to before.

Now, with the latest 6.2 drivers, they fixed that bug as well.

Seems like, once the Catalyst crew got back from working for Micro$oft on the X-Box 360, good things & fixes started happening.

I haven't found anything to complain about yet.
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty shaw
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I will post.

Ati released the new 6.2 drivers on 02/09/06

I was so glad that with the 6.1, they finaly fixed the so called "DVI blackout" Bug.
For the past few versions I was not able to do custom resolutions although I had been able to before.

Now, with the latest 6.2 drivers, they fixed that bug as well.

Seems like, once the Catalyst crew got back from working for Micro$oft on the X-Box 360, good things & fixes started happening.

I haven't found anything to complain about yet.
I didn't even realize the custom resolutions was a known issue. I upgraded my Video Card & grabbed the newest drivers at the same time. CCC hasn't worked quite right with custom res's since. I thought there was something wrong in my setup due to the upgrade & reinstall.

After reboots, the custom res wouldn't stick, and I would have to reset it through
display properties after every boot. Thanks for the heads up and go ATI!!!
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3
After reboots, the custom res wouldn't stick, and I would have to reset it through
display properties after every boot.
same prob here.
post #4 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxilikedirtxx
same prob here.
You haven't used the 6.2's yet have you ??
post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 
:o Okay, it seems like I spoke too soon. :o

Although the past 2 driver updates fixed the biggest pains for us:

6.1 fixed the "DVI blackout" bug &
6.2 fixed the problem of not being able to save custom resolutions.

BUT...

Now I have a problem in that, when I rebooted my rig it started fine, the Windows startup screen was okay, but once it went into the desktop I was greeted with a black screen (this is with running directly into my HD-ILA (DVI-HDMI))
reverting back to 6.1 cured that.

This is different from the DVI blackout issue.

Has anyone else experianced this yet ??
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty shaw
You haven't used the 6.2's yet have you ??
Yep, running it right now.
post #7 of 34
well, I shouldn't have spoken so soon either...the custom res's work better now, but it still won't stick after a reboot.

Just as a general question. If I am using my HDTV monitor as my only monitor (DVI to HDMI) out of a gigabyte radeon 9600 pro. I am unable to see the windows post (Bios screen or coming out of hibernation). I have always chaulked not being able to see it because the CCC drivers need to load, but I am unsure if I should be satisfied with not being able to see it. Any comments? Can others see the boot screen through DVI before CCC loads?

To answer marty's question, yes I see a black screen too, but it's only because the resolution that it reverts too cannot be rendered by my HDTV...I can see the (small) desktop via VNC, and when I change back to my custom resolution, my desktop is viewable via my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty shaw
:o Okay, it seems like I spoke too soon. :o

Although the past 2 driver updates fixed the biggest pains for us:

6.1 fixed the "DVI blackout" bug &
6.2 fixed the problem of not being able to save custom resolutions.

BUT...

Now I have a problem in that, when I rebooted my rig it started fine, the Windows startup screen was okay, but once it went into the desktop I was greeted with a black screen (this is with running directly into my HD-ILA (DVI-HDMI))
reverting back to 6.1 cured that.

This is different from the DVI blackout issue.

Has anyone else experianced this yet ??
post #8 of 34
I use a meedio plugin to set the correct res on startup via a powerstip shortcut. You can just place the shortcut in your startup menu but you need to make sure it starts AFTER powerstrip does.
post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
This has only been a problem with the new 6.2's
I shouldn't have to use other apps as a work around. :(


meanwhile just north of me, the Catalyst crew are drinking beer, eating fritos and laughing at us mere mortals.
post #10 of 34
Anyone having issues with custom resolutions and component out? I am getting ready to switch back in my ATI. I never had luck with the DVI, but component always worked for me.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty shaw
This has only been a problem with the new 6.2's
I shouldn't have to use other apps as a work around. :(


meanwhile just north of me, the Catalyst crew are drinking beer, eating fritos and laughing at us mere mortals.
I have had this issue sind 5.1*, not sure which one but it has been for a while.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxilikedirtxx
I use a meedio plugin to set the correct res on startup via a powerstip shortcut. You can just place the shortcut in your startup menu but you need to make sure it starts AFTER powerstrip does.
Hey guys I use 9600XT Card DVI Out as FYI. I've been using PowerStrip since my PJ Sony VPLHS20 not only needs a custom rez of 1368x768 but also because it needs custom timings. PowerStrip solves this easily. I've been using this since the Cat 4.xx days and never looked into CAT CCC since it seemed until 6.x they've gotten the custom resolutions to kinda work. So, my question......does the CCC allow for custom timings as well as custom resolutions ?........assuming the drivers worked.

Thanks.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekochs
Hey guys I use 9600XT Card DVI Out as FYI. I've been using PowerStrip since my PJ Sony VPLHS20 not only needs a custom rez of 1368x768 but also because it needs custom timings. PowerStrip solves this easily. I've been using this since the Cat 4.xx days and never looked into CAT CCC since it seemed until 6.x they've gotten the custom resolutions to kinda work. So, my question......does the CCC allow for custom timings as well as custom resolutions ?........assuming the drivers worked.

Thanks.
Not that I can tell.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty shaw
(RE: ATi Windows drivers) I haven't found anything to complain about yet.
Hopefully everybody agrees, since their linux drivers leave much to be desired. Freeing up some developers to work on the linux side could really help.
post #15 of 34
I have a X800XL>RGBHV>Mits 65" RPTV 1776x1000i/X800XL>DVI>17" WS Fujitsu LCD 1280x768.(Dual display).
Second system: X1600XT>DVI>Olevia 26"LCD.
No issues at all. Using powerstrip for the first system.
I believe the main issue is HDMI. Not all HDMI are the same when it comes to resolution. Most will only let you use standard HD resolutions(480p/i,720p/1080i).
For those w/ issues, I would try another connection type even just to test. Most setups using HDMI seem to have difficulty regardless of video card.
Also critical is the monitor driver. The "plug and play" generic windows driver is also flakey.
Change the driver to one that exceeds your TV spec. Preferably, one that you can create w/ powersrtip.
post #16 of 34
MY experience w/CCC is that it will allow 720p and 1080i timings and you can adjust the rez from that starting point. So, unless you really need a CUSTOM timing, you MAY have success given what I said.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxilikedirtxx
Not that I can tell.
I did find in CCC that they allow a FORCE function where you can adjust both resolution and refresh rate. Since FP, BP, etc. are derived from these it appears they will allow some customization. I did not see a polarity section though so I'm not sure if I can use this to drive my Sony VPLHS20 directly and forgo PowerStrip. This however is a mute point if 6.2 does not save the custom settings on reboot.
post #18 of 34
I have CCC 5.9 (need to upgrade) outputting perfect 1368 x 768 @56Hz on my HS10. Just use powerstrip once to generate the resolution and then no need for it.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMatt
I have CCC 5.9 (need to upgrade) outputting perfect 1368 x 768 @56Hz on my HS10. Just use powerstrip once to generate the resolution and then no need for it.
This is great to hear but couple questions:

1) Why would you need PowerStrip to generate the 1368x768 if CCC will allow you to enter the resolution and refresh thru the FORCE button ?
2) Also, I understand how to create the custom driver within PowerStrip which loads into Windows Registry. I also have placed a shortcut via PowerStrip to implement this driver on my Desktop. During boot I have PowerStrip placed in my startup folder and under PS Config I have it remember last settings so it comes up 1368x768. I seen other posts about replacing/updating the monitor driver file in Device Manager but not sure what this was all about ? I think it has to do with no EDID present...not sure though. Anyway, can you outline your steps ?
3) Also, my only other question is I'll be rebooting so I saw in this thread that 6.2 does not save custom settings. Have you tried with your 1368x768 @ 56Hz with reboot ?

Thanks.
post #20 of 34
Using 6.1 here
At least in my system. If I turn the PC on and after its booted up completely I turn the TV on, Windows wil be in 800x600 and I have to change to 720p(1200x668) resolution.

Also, are people gettin 1360 via dvi or HDMI?
i can only set a 720p or 1080i resolution and then correct the overscan via CCC. Works though. And looks very sharp (at least in 720p, 1080i looks like it has timing problems)
post #21 of 34
Have you guys tried Omega drivers for your ATI cards? Cured all my problems.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
Using 6.1 here At least in my system. If I turn the PC on and after its booted up completely I turn the TV on, Windows wil be in 800x600 and I have to change to 720p(1200x668) resolution.)
Have you setup a custom resolution/timing to drive your TV 's native resolution in CCC ? I assume this is 1200x668 since you listed ?....720p is actually 1280x720 resolution. Have you ever tried PowerStrip to setup a resolution/timing to match 1:1 (or as close to it as possible) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
Also, are people getting 1360 via dvi or HDMI? I can only set a 720p or 1080i resolution and then correct the overscan via CCC. Works though. And looks very sharp (at least in 720p, 1080i looks like it has timing problems)
720p = 1280x720, 1080i = 1920x1080. For DVI/HDMI if you change to 720P in CCC this is 1280x720 resolution. I'm assuming your overscan is to accomodate for your TV's 1200x668 ? Anyway, the reason you see the 1368x768 in the posts is this is my projector's (Sony VPLHS20) native resolution.

So..........the key to this whole thing is for Windows to have a driver that at boot drives the display (TV, PJ, etc.) at it's native resolution and timing. New TV's, PJ's, etc. have wierd resolutions (or at least 16:9) and sometimes funky timngs (my PJ is 56Hz refresh) where a standard Windows (or ATI or NVidia) drivers aren't availabe. Until recently ATI's CCC did not allow for customization of timings (not really sure to what extent they do now) AND it appears from the above posts that when you do setup a custom rez/timing in CCC it does not stick after a reboot. Thus, most people have been using a program called PowerStrip to do this.
post #23 of 34
My tv has a native res of 1368 while using the vga input. Ive tried making it work through the hdmi input but the best I could do was use 720p and reduce the overscan.
I tried playing with powerstrip but couldnt get a custom res working, so decided to use the CCC ulitity. Maybe after I upgrade the video card I will be able to?

I have never have had problems with the "custom" resolution not sticking on power up, unless the TV is off, which the computer doesnt know which monitor Im using so defaults to 800x600.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
My tv has a native res of 1368 while using the vga input. Ive tried making it work through the hdmi input but the best I could do was use 720p and reduce the overscan.
1368x ? resoluton ? Also, it's a personal preference but I did drive my Sony LCD projector with DVI input with 720P and it did not look as good as true native 1:1 mapping of resolution and timings thru DVI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
I tried playing with powerstrip but couldnt get a custom res working, so decided to use the CCC ulitity. Maybe after I upgrade the video card I will be able to?.
PowerStrip is a great program because it gives you FULL control over resolutions and timings. However, there is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it then it's fairly straight forward. However, PS is an extra program running in the background so if the graphics card and software allows then having PS is redundant. I see in the CCC there is a FORCE function you can put your resolution and refresh rate. This will then add that driver. You may want to upgrade to Catalyst 6.2 and try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
I have never have had problems with the "custom" resolution not sticking on power up, unless the TV is off, which the computer doesnt know which monitor Im using so defaults to 800x600.
It does not sound like you have made a custom resolution.....only chosing 720P from a defined list ? Custom resolution would be the FORCE function I mentioned for one that ATI did not supply in their options. Also, for what it is worth I have my Philips Pronto remote execute a bunch of IR commands to turn on items like my HTPC, audio amplifier, etc......but my projector is first IR code in the list it sends out for the very reason you stated.....this way my HTPC sees the display powered when it boots.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3
well, I shouldn't have spoken so soon either...the 6.2 custom res's work better now, but it still won't stick after a reboot.
How about 6.3 ? Does custom rez/timing work and sitck/save after reboot ?
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekochs
How about 6.3 ? Does custom rez/timing work and sitck/save after reboot ?
Both seem to be working for me now 6.2 i believe. RTFM on the custom resolutions...there is a little help blub in the CCC under Custom Resolutions...let's just say the interface on that is less than intuative.

The res gets loaded on the reboot after the CCC loads.(cli.exe if i remember correctly).

I still don't see the post screen, but at least the res is right after a minute or two after booting.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3
Both seem to be working for me now 6.2 i believe. RTFM on the custom resolutions...there is a little help blub in the CCC under Custom Resolutions...let's just say the interface on that is less than intuative.
OK, I have installed Cat6.4 and CCC on my HTPC which I use my 9600XT (AGP) driving a Sony VPLHS20 projector via the DVI port. The Sony's EDID only shows 1024x768 but it is a 1368x768 LCD panel projector. Thus, I've used PowerStrip by Entech to uncap the PJ's EDID and allow me to drive with a custom timing....basically 1368x768 but at 56Hz Refresh (key parameter). I went into CCC under Display, selected 1368x768, and then tried to use the FORCE option to set the refresh to 56Hz. When I select 56Hz the resolution drops back to 800x600 in CCC. I'm assuming this happens since 800x600 56Hz is a VESA timing. So, my question is how do I force CCC to drive a 1368x768 resolution with 56Hz in CCC ?
Please step me through it....I'm missing something.

Thanks.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekochs
OK, I have installed Cat6.4 and CCC on my HTPC which I use my 9600XT (AGP) driving a Sony VPLHS20 projector via the DVI port. The Sony's EDID only shows 1024x768 but it is a 1368x768 LCD panel projector. Thus, I've used PowerStrip by Entech to uncap the PJ's EDID and allow me to drive with a custom timing....basically 1368x768 but at 56Hz Refresh (key parameter). I went into CCC under Display, selected 1368x768, and then tried to use the FORCE option to set the refresh to 56Hz. When I select 56Hz the resolution drops back to 800x600 in CCC. I'm assuming this happens since 800x600 56Hz is a VESA timing. So, my question is how do I force CCC to drive a 1368x768 resolution with 56Hz in CCC ?
Please step me through it....I'm missing something.

Thanks.
I was using a 9800 pro w/ the newest drivers and CCC and was having a similar problem. i couldnt get a proper image to save my life (1368x768). i went to compusa and bought a 7600gs to test out nvidia's offerings. (they have a 21 day return policy). to me the nvidia drivers sh*t's all over ati's. i was an ati fan for a long time, but now im nvidia all the way. to fix my res problem, i set it to 720p, then used the slider to compensate for overscan. took me a whole 5 minutes!

i said all that to say ditch ati and go with nvidia. made my life a whole lot easier.
post #29 of 34
Even at "better and better" it will still take years.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle
I was using a 9800 pro w/ the newest drivers and CCC and was having a similar problem. i couldnt get a proper image to save my life (1368x768). i went to compusa and bought a 7600gs to test out nvidia's offerings. (they have a 21 day return policy). to me the nvidia drivers sh*t's all over ati's. i was an ati fan for a long time, but now im nvidia all the way. to fix my res problem, i set it to 720p, then used the slider to compensate for overscan. took me a whole 5 minutes!

i said all that to say ditch ati and go with nvidia. made my life a whole lot easier.
:)
nVida has always been more HDTV friendly due to the custom res you can input without third party software. I have a XFX 7800 GT for my AMD and a Radeon 256 for my Intel rig I think I'm on my fourth replacement from ATI and I also don't like the new control center it takes forever to launch and seems super bloated for my likes. After I complained to ATI about paying over 500.00 at the time they released this POS and had nothing but problems with the dreaded checker board and artifacting on me, I told either give me back my money or upgrade me you tight bastrds! :D Of course they didn't give me an upgrade but they did torture test it before sending it to me and it's been good for the past three months so far so good. Bottom line I'll never buy another ATI I even tried the X800 POS the boot screen was garbled and the thing was only good for benchmarking... nVidia as far as corporate tactics is no better than the rest of them but at least they make better quality hardware/drivers.

Just thought I'd give the old corpse a good poking :D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › ATI drivers just get better & better