or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › DIY Gallery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Gallery - Page 4

post #91 of 1121
Here is an HT mains set I just finished building. The angled back of the DLP TV served as inspiration in this design, and these are meant to be used with a separate subwoofer. Drivers are Vifa from PE. The finish is Rustoleum textured Black with the stripe being gloss Apple Red. The 3-way passive crossover is accessible and open to the rear, and venting for both the mids and the midbass is to the rear as well.
LL
LL
LL
post #92 of 1121
My latest addition: Dayton RS WTMW Center Channel


drivers: RS225's with the RS28 and RS150

design thread: Dayton RS WTMW center channel design

some pics...enjoy!

some construction..


finished...


many more pics and details in my sig link
post #93 of 1121
stevdart, those are very nice - do you by any chance call them Black Widows?
post #94 of 1121
Thanks and that's a good one, Steve. Just by chance I'm a "bug man" by trade so the name is entirely appropriate!
LL
post #95 of 1121
All of you that posted pictures have done a great job with the builds! I have one question. The ones that are using subs as "endtables" when they are powered up, with a can of soda or bottle of beer (my favorite). Does it walk across the top. I'm thining one day of doing a sub as and endtable.
post #96 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080eyes View Post

All of you that posted pictures have done a great job with the builds! I have one question. The ones that are using subs as "endtables" when they are powered up, with a can of soda or bottle of beer (my favorite). Does it walk across the top. I'm thining one day of doing a sub as and endtable.

if its built correctly, the glass wont move. The only reason it would move is if the cabinet is flexing. My 220l Tempest that I built a couple years ago, you could place a dime on edge during the movie and it would barely vibrate....the enclosure was solid, but also weighed a ton as a result.
post #97 of 1121
15" Tumult, sealed. It's at my mom's place where it has a plant on top, sometimes it has an oil lamp as well. Never any issues with walking or things falling off. Spiked to a hardwood floor.



Double 18mm 13ply birch (so 36mm 26 ply). You can see one of my first ever builds behind it - ultra cheap, 'cause I was learning crossover design with them. Behind that is my IB manifold, but you can't see it of course.

My current cute little mains... available if anyone wants 'em.



Family room "background music" units:



Next up is redoing my HT. But right now, it's building myself some amplifiers.

Fun stuff. The problem with enjoying the process of designing and tweaking crossovers is you're never done.
post #98 of 1121
Will someone please sticky this thread.
cjd, I have two aluminum Dayton Da 175's lying around my house, what design do you suggest for these drivers? I've thought about maybe ordering two more going with a pair of sealed MTM mains for 2-channel.
post #99 of 1121
Just finished up on something I started over a year ago.

Drivers are Scanspeak R2904 Ring Radiator tweeter, ATC 3" Dome ('Super' Version) mid and ATC 9" shortcoil bass. The design uses digital FIR linear phase crossover filters with full time/phase alignment and amplitude correction along with digital room correction via a DEQX. These speakers measure better than some amps

Outrageously good sounding and not half bad looks. My dream speakers are now complete.

















post #100 of 1121
Wow, those all look great
post #101 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

Just finished up on something I started over a year ago.

Drivers are Scanspeak R2904 Ring Radiator tweeter, ATC 3" Dome ('Super' Version) mid and ATC 9" shortcoil bass. The design uses digital FIR linear phase crossover filters with full time/phase alignment and amplitude correction along with digital room correction via a DEQX. These speakers measure better than some amps

Outrageously good sounding and not half bad looks. My dream speakers are now complete.

That is an amazing job finishing those! How did you get the silver glossy finish? Beautiful design and outrageous execution. You should be proud. I would love to see a construction thread all by itself about the building of it.

Chuck
post #102 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

That is an amazing job finishing those! How did you get the silver glossy finish? Beautiful design and outrageous execution. You should be proud. I would love to see a construction thread all by itself about the building of it.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, thanks for the kind words. The paint is automotive stuff and I used 2k laquer to acheive the gloss you see in the photo's.

If you interested, the construction thread is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=62391

Its a little long winded but there's some good info in there (most of it not from me ).
post #103 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

Just finished up on something I started over a year ago.

Drivers are Scanspeak R2904 Ring Radiator tweeter, ATC 3" Dome ('Super' Version) mid and ATC 9" shortcoil bass. The design uses digital FIR linear phase crossover filters with full time/phase alignment and amplitude correction along with digital room correction via a DEQX. These speakers measure better than some amps

Outrageously good sounding and not half bad looks. My dream speakers are now complete.

Wow those are a piece of art. Incredible. I'd never have the patience to do something like that so I got to respect someone who can.
post #104 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

Just finished up on something I started over a year ago...

Wow, those are just high tech looking... verry nice!

Here is my own unfinished SVS (dB12.2) metal-spiral-subwoofer. Maybe I paint it black?











post #105 of 1121
Some really good DIY work here, so why is this thread not a sticky yet?

Mark
post #106 of 1121
Awesome sub Thuppu!
post #107 of 1121
I've never seen anything like that. Nice job. What gave you the idea to go metal tube?
post #108 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuppu View Post

Wow, those are just high tech looking... verry nice!

Here is my own unfinished SVS (dB12.2) metal-spiral-subwoofer. Maybe I paint it black?

Nice work.

It reminds me of the Genelec subs.
post #109 of 1121
Thanks.

Yes, the idea is from Genelec subs...

Here is a pair of pictures when it is almost finnished, in the living room. It's going to be a aluminium frame around the driver, but I haven't get it done yet. Maybe one day.



post #110 of 1121
Here is my outdoor 'Brute' sub...it's no looker but it resides under my deck out of sight but defintely not out of sound.
LL
LL
post #111 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 View Post

Here is my outdoor 'Brute' sub...it's no looker but it resides under my deck out of sight but definitely not out of sound.

that is crazy. do you take it indoors when it rains or is it weather proof? dose the "enclosure" flex much when its hitting hard?

nice metal work on the svs sub thuppu!
post #112 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post

that is crazy. do you take it indoors when it rains or is it weather proof? dose the "enclosure" flex much when its hitting hard?

nice metal work on the svs sub thuppu!

No it is weather proof and stays outside....and no flexing under heavy load.
post #113 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuppu View Post

Yes, the idea is from Genelec subs...


Nice! Just like the Genelecs.

How did you model the dimensions of the spiral and opening?

A sonotube sealed sub would also make a nice Genelec lookalike.

Dr V
post #114 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum View Post

Nice! Just like the Genelecs.

How did you model the dimensions of the spiral and opening?

A sonotube sealed sub would also make a nice Genelec lookalike.

Dr V

The spiral is done with an plate mangler. The port openings is made by hard force, heating, bending, and welding.

Here is some new pictures... with aluminium frame... The aluminium needs only grinding and polishing.





post #115 of 1121
Dude...it looks even more badass now.

Sweet!
post #116 of 1121
That is so suh-weeeet ! I love it. Tha Sub is so sexy it has me envious....I'll get there some day....Wish me luck.
post #117 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

Dude...it looks even more badass now.

Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard26 View Post

That is so suh-weeeet ! I love it. Tha Sub is so sexy it has me envious...

Thanks! Pleasant to hear that you guys like the look.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard26 View Post

I'll get there some day....Wish me luck.

You are welcome. Watch out for polar bears and penguins.
post #118 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum View Post


How did you model the dimensions of the spiral and opening?

Dr V


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuppu View Post

The spiral is done with an plate mangler. The port openings is made by hard force, heating, bending, and welding.

Actually I was interested how you calculated the port dimensions, length of the spiral, ect. Most modelling programs only calculate for cylindrical ports?

Great work... first DIY of its kind I have seen!

Dr V
post #119 of 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum View Post

Actually I was interested how you calculated the port dimensions, length of the spiral, ect. Most modelling programs only calculate for cylindrical ports?

Great work... first DIY of its kind I have seen!

Dr V

Ooh, my mistake. My english is bad...

It's calculated with a normal modelling program, called WinISD Pro. It's a normal Helmholtz tuning like most reflex port enclosures (tuning frequenze is ~18,5Hz), the port tube only circulate the enclosure. The port measures are not 100% exact so i put a few centimeters more length, plus the port roundings.


...and it sounds great!
post #120 of 1121
Here are my DIY speakers, with curved surfaces:
http://www.stormpages.com/elfranche/
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › DIY Gallery