or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › EluneVision screens
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EluneVision screens - Page 29

post #841 of 1236
I need some input on choosing a screen. I'm looking to set up a budget home theatre. I plan on getting an LG HW300T LED rated at 300 lumens (I won't go into the reasons for choosing this pj here). My seating distance is about 10 feet, and I would like to go with a 92" screen.

I've used a couple of screen/gain calculators, and to achieve 16 ft-lamberts on 92", and assuming a real-world pj brightness of 250 lumens, I would need a gain of 1.7. Given that I will be mounting the pj on the ceiling, I've found that the 2.4 vivid pro white provides enough boost at the seating position to obtain 16 ft-L.

So what do you think...does it make sense for me to go with the vivid pro white? I don't really want to go smaller than 92" unless I absolutely have to.

The second part of my question is really directed toward Milosh. I would like a motorized screen. I looked on eastporter's website and do not see a 92" 2.4 gain electric screen. Can I get this screen in this size?

BTW, I bought a Panasonic AE-700 from eastporters way back in 2004. It's good to see the company is still doing well.
post #842 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn View Post

I need some input on choosing a screen. I'm looking to set up a budget home theatre. I plan on getting an LG HW300T LED rated at 300 lumens (I won't go into the reasons for choosing this pj here). My seating distance is about 10 feet, and I would like to go with a 92" screen.

I've used a couple of screen/gain calculators, and to achieve 16 ft-lamberts on 92", and assuming a real-world pj brightness of 250 lumens, I would need a gain of 1.7. Given that I will be mounting the pj on the ceiling, I've found that the 2.4 vivid pro white provides enough boost at the seating position to obtain 16 ft-L.

So what do you think...does it make sense for me to go with the vivid pro white? I don't really want to go smaller than 92" unless I absolutely have to.

The second part of my question is really directed toward Milosh. I would like a motorized screen. I looked on eastporter's website and do not see a 92" 2.4 gain electric screen. Can I get this screen in this size?

BTW, I bought a Panasonic AE-700 from eastporters way back in 2004. It's good to see the company is still doing well.

The reason we don't have the 92" 2.4 listed is that we are unfortunately out of stock for this model/size.

Milosh
post #843 of 1236
Gotta give props to EluneVision and Easporters, great customer service and support.
I bought a Reference Studio Tab Tensioned motorized screen from them. (White 1.0 gain.)

I'm coming from a fixed frame Stewart Firehawk, (the older one not the G3) in a light controlled room to the EluneVision in a non light controlled environment. (Really it should have been the other way around since the Firehawk has better light rejection.) I've got a Mits HC5000 right now.
Going to a white screen was actually not as bad as I thought it would be in that environment. There's no doubt ambient light affects the picture more, but the improvement in color and sharpness kind of offsets that difference overall.
Where I REALLY notice the difference is on hockey broadcasts, on the Firehawk the ice surface never looked right, kind of grainy with rainbow colors....sort of metallic looking. On the EV Reference, it's identical to being at the rink. Movie and TV watching at night is nothing short of excellent, and obviously because of the room it's just passable in the daytime. Having said that I haven't been compelled to crank up my PJ's lamp mode from the low setting as of yet.
I'm impressed enough with this screen to consider upgrading my P.J. and I'm going to have to do some homework on what's going to be the best for my application, but the screen's a keeper.
post #844 of 1236
does anyone have the epson 5010 and the reference screen? what do you think i need a new screen and was thinking of highpower or reference?
post #845 of 1236
Quote:


does anyone have the epson 5010 and the reference screen? what do you think i need a new screen and was thinking of highpower or reference?

The High-Power screen would be overkill for a projector that can put out 2400 Lumens as far as brightness, and it comes with obvious disadvantages over a Reference screen (hot-spotting, color accuracy issues, minimal but still present texturing, etc). It's funny, a lot of the things rnrgagne mentioned would apply to you if you were to get a High-Power screen as well. Another thing with the HighPower is the projector needs to be dead-center and at eye level for best results, otherwise the hot-spotting becomes even more apparent (and annoying). With the Reference screen, the image will look perfect, no matter the placement of the projector.

For those reasons, I would go with the Reference Studio screen. We can custom-build you a HighPower screen as well if you do want it (literally the exact same material that Da-Lite uses for theirs, except costing you less money - so send an email through the Eastporters website if interested). I would still definitely go for the Reference, however.

Milosh
post #846 of 1236
Just got a Reference Tab-Tensioned screen, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to set the drop limit with the included tool. I've tried sticking it in every which angle, but it just doesn't seem to 'catch' on anything. Can someone post detailed instructions (or pictures) on how to do this?

Also, even though the sticker has an 'A' and 'B' side, there's only a hole for the 'B' side. Is that normal?

Much appreciated.
post #847 of 1236
PMed, I will walk you through.
post #848 of 1236
I had passed by for a demo and they were WONDERFUL to deal with. I'll be heading back again with my wife to pick your brains some more about screens, and for her to see the X70 in person.

They are very personable, very friendly and answer all of your questions. They sure know how to feel good about spending money with them.

Thanks again!
post #849 of 1236
Does Elune make 2.35:1 electric screns? Looking for a 125" diag screen non AT. thanks
post #850 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Does Elune make 2.35:1 electric screns? Looking for a 125" diag screen non AT. thanks

Special order, but yes.
post #851 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktran.888 View Post

Just got a Reference Tab-Tensioned screen, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to set the drop limit with the included tool. I've tried sticking it in every which angle, but it just doesn't seem to 'catch' on anything. Can someone post detailed instructions (or pictures) on how to do this?

Also, even though the sticker has an 'A' and 'B' side, there's only a hole for the 'B' side. Is that normal?

Much appreciated.


Kinda same here, I know I'm getting in a socket but its making a weird noise as I turn and just clicks... And nothing actually happens on the height.

To my knowledge, you press the down arrow and let the screen go all the way down on itself. Turn clockwise a couple turns to raise the lower limit. Raise the screen back up until you cant see black at all on the top. Press lower limit and let it go. Then you should see a difference in height from the adjustment.

But nothing in my case
post #852 of 1236
Hi,

PMed, I will walked you through how to set the limits.
post #853 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyan View Post

Kinda same here, I know I'm getting in a socket but its making a weird noise as I turn and just clicks... And nothing actually happens on the height.

To my knowledge, you press the down arrow and let the screen go all the way down on itself. Turn clockwise a couple turns to raise the lower limit. Raise the screen back up until you cant see black at all on the top. Press lower limit and let it go. Then you should see a difference in height from the adjustment.

But nothing in my case

The steps are basically right, as usual, the devil's in the details.

If you imagine a cylindrical roller inside the square container! Then you can kind of figure out what angle you need to insert the wand at to make proper contact. What worked for me, but is definitely not recommended is to stick a finger in the screen opening (when the screen is down) and feel around to get an idea of the position of the roller.

Another thing is that the limiter 'socket' felt more like a knob that kind gave a little when pushed. So pushing on that and turning clockwise is what did the trick for me.

Hope that helps.
post #854 of 1236
I have a very uncontrolled light media room with white ceiling, light green walls, and a few windows with shades. We use the room for about 50% daytime or lights on viewing and about 50% night/lights out viewing. The projector is a new Panny AR100U that is ceiling mounted.

I evaluated samples of the white and grey reference material this weekend and am having a hard time deciding which to get. The white looks better when watching light/bright content and the grey looks better when watching dark content like a Harry Potter movie or CSI.

Conventional wisdom would say to get the grey but I have noticed that it makes the cloudy blue sky background on the Disney WOW calibration disk look like a storm is rolling in. Whereas the white screen makes the same background look like a bright, blue, spring sky. Bottom line is that the grey seems to just affect the colors. Can this be calibrated out or do you just not notice it when evaluating the two materials right beside each other?

The white material also seems to have a slight blueish tint to it when viewed from the side. Not sure if this was due to me setup or not.

I want to get the very best screen I can get for under $1200.00 and I believe the EluneVision reference is it. Just looking for some comments on which material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #855 of 1236
Hi

I would recommend grey for the simple reason that the AR100U does not have the best black levels but have plenty of brightness. You can easily calibrate the colour shift.

Thanks
Dave
post #856 of 1236
Hey Guys, I've been a member here for around 6-7 years, don't post often, but whenever I have questions, everyone is very willing to answer.

I do want to share my experience with the Elunevision screen that I ordered.

For the longest time (since 2005/06?), I've been using my beloved Panasonic PTAE-900u proggy. Love it! Bought it the day it came out.

I used my nice bright white primed wall in my dedicated HT room and the surrounding walls were deep "drumbeat red" and quite honestly, the panny 900 did an amazing job! I suspect the screen was around 80" that I ended up having painted on the wall and I sat back around 12-13 feet.

And I looked at projector screens at the time, but WHAT A PAIN!!! Different screen gains, grey screens, sizes, tab tension, motorized, and EXPENSIVE! I mean, $2k+ for a screen? And not only that, but the screens looked worse in my opinion! Every time I auditioned a white screen that looked like there were little crystals in the screen. I've learned these are called "sparklies" and I can't stand them. The response from the salesroom people is generally "You won't see it often, just during hockey" or "it helps brighten the picture."

My wife and I also see the Rainbow Effect of DLP projectors (Hence the LCD projector) so all the little details bug us. Even further, I was one of the ones who held out for the 900u rather than settle with the 700u which had "banding issues." I'm pretty finicky when it comes to perfection... The designer in me wants perfection in my images! I can't just "settle."

Anyways, we're now in a new home and unfortunately, the setup is NOT a dedicated room and we now have 2 small children. White walls are "Chalkboards" and so we needed something that we could turn our family room into a viewing room at night when everyone is in bed.

And so I started the screen search again, this time motorized and was looking for 120".

And so there's the usual suspects for high quality screens... But I'm not about to drop thousands of dollars on a screen... I just can't. Not with two little girls and this economy...

But then I found this review thread and was quite impressed with a number of the reviews. Another fellow at a company where I was looking to purchase a screen from online was telling me "Save another 10% if you buy a projector at the same time" and "You really should upgrade your 900u to the 7000."

Thanks buddy... Not helpful.

But last week while in the hotel room for Business, I decided it was time to pull the trigger and order a screen.

Now let me explain, It's very difficult to purchase a screen "sight unseen" when you've had a lot of bad experience. Sparklies, bleeding blacks, wrinkly screens, etc... I spoke with Milosh at Eastporters via email and his response was:

"The only flat-white matte screens you will find are Reference screens. If a screen is not a Reference series screen, it will have hot-spotting/sparkles/sheen/glimmer/texturing, doesn't matter whether EluneVision or another brand. The Titan is no exception, though it has less texturing than other screens that cost anywhere in its price range.

If you want zero hot-spotting/sparkles/sheen/glimmer, in addition to the color accuracy and no pixel degradation, then you'd need to go with a Reference screen:"


So I took a leap of faith and figured, if it didn't work out, I could return the screen if it was another disappointment...

So I pulled the trigger that night and ordered the 120" tab tensioned motorized reference screen... This was at 7pm.

Next day, I saw that it was on a Purolator truck and the second day my wife emailed me and said "It arrived and this thing is freakin' huge!!!"

I got home that evening and must admit, I was pretty nervous. The box was in fact-HUGE! It was around 12 feet long and quite intimidating in a 14 foot wide room.

I un-boxed it "Twice" as it was double boxed with plastic bands for protection. It was really well packaged. Not much more to tell until we temporarily hung it up to watch Avatar that night. So I hooked up my projector on a table, mounted the screen quickly, played with the remote and once the kids went to bed... we sat down with a bowl of popcorn and put the movie in.

And my first reaction??? WOW!!!!!!!

What a beautiful picture!!!!! I was nervous that it would be too big or that the colours would be dull (Afterall, my Panny 900u was washed up according to another sales guy)

There's something about Pandora with all the bright beautiful colours that's absolutely amazing on a 10 foot wide screen in front of you. It was truly amazing. ZERO hotspots. ZERO sparklies. ZERO image defects...

I was absolutely thrilled.

Now, three days later and racking up about 10 hours of viewing (Avatar and the LOTR trilogy) and these are my Pro's and cons.

PRO'S
1. I've never seen a projected picture look this good, even in showrooms for less than $3k. Even at 120" the price gets close to that mark for the tab tensioned screens.

2. The PICTURE!

3. RF remote - no line of sight. and it has a clever little laser pointer built in. Not sure why, but I do find myself playing with the cat while the movie is paused for whatever reason... if that's the reason the laser is in it, absolutely BRILLIANT! Now THAT is a Man remote!

CON'S

To start with, I feel bad about the cons... They really are nitpicking. Stupid little issues that may not even deserve attention.

1. The drop limit setting. The instructions were not the best and I played with the hex screw thing for around an hour before I finally knew what to expect. I just stood there winding and winding and winding... No clue what was happening, if it was broken even... But then you hear these little clicks and think "That sounds promising"

2. Mounting kit comes with these little green drywall plugs. For a wall installation I'm sure they are fine, but for ceiling, I didn't trust them so opted to go to Rona and purchase much stronger plugs. With tabs that held them in place in case of accidental slippage.

So here's the ending to my little tale... I was so skeptical purchasing a screen online sight unseen. I took a leap of faith with Milosh and his recommendation because he sounded like he wasn't trying to pile up a bunch of BS...

Also, 120" is MUCH BIGGER than it sounds! I know, I know... 120" is 10 feet... but still, if you've never purchased a screen it's intimidating. I've got a 55" LCD mounted behind where the screen extends, and must say... 55" is almost pathetic by comparison!!!

Anyways, hope my experience helps anyone who's on the fence. I'm a supporter of companies that provide a great product and manage to do so in such a way that provides exceptional value. The screen seems really well build, the motor appears very strong and cosmetically it looks pretty sharp.

I'd say that Eastporters gets a solid 10/10 over. Pre-sales inquiries were quickly responded to and helpful, delivery was fast, packaging was exceptional and the product is just a blessing! Now it's up to long term usage. If it stops working in 6 months you'll hear about it, but I don't suspect it will. I have no apprehension recommending this screen to anyone!

And one last thing, the drop limit challenges are not really a bad thing. After an hour of playing with it, the realization that you got it to work and that it's not broken is quite the emotional high! EXCELLENT! I don't need to send it back! lol
post #857 of 1236
Can you get samples of the screen material? Why the leap of faith?
post #858 of 1236
I'm not sure about sample of screen material... I found out after I ordered and going through some posts here that other manufacturers offer some 2X2 sheets of samples. Unfortunately, I didn't know that ANYONE offered samples.

The leap of faith was for a few reasons.

1. I saw the screen I was looking at was on-sale... My luck, I'd get home, take the measurements and then go back and order and the price was up $300 or whatever it was.

2. I read that some people had problems with the shipping but Eastporters did it right with the return policy. I figured, a little bit of $ lost if I didn't like the screen quality was a worthwhile gamble...

3. The company is in the Toronto area (Canada). I'm an hour drive away and I like knowing that if I need to get something done, I can jump in my car and deal with the issue face-to-face

Fortunately, everything worked out beyond my expectations.
post #859 of 1236
It would just be ideal for me to get a sample and measure it. The normal eye isnt going to be able to measure ft lamberts for brightness. It also isnt going to be able to see how neutral the screen is. I have seen claims in the past where a screen is this gain,, uniformity is claimed to be xy or z. The shipping is the least of my issues. I would just like to get the samples to test. I have some decent equipment. Maybe the people that are selling it here on the forum can advise what they test their screens with and the environment they were tested.
post #860 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarax View Post

The normal eye isnt going to be able to measure ft lamberts for brightness. It also isnt going to be able to see how neutral the screen is.

I'll admit, I'm just looking at the screen by eye. A long time ago I was part of the car audio scene (IASCA level). Tens of thousands of dollars of equipment invested in my car. It got broken into one day, everything stolen ... They alarm killed the starter so they threw all my equipment in civic beside mine and took off with it! Then I replaced it with some cheap(er) stuff. I couldn't go through that again.

The point though is that without the oscilloscopes and waveform monitors (I was NOT an SPL guy, it was about SQ for me) the sound difference to the ear was barely noticeable!

When I used my normal ear, $25k barely made a difference in my car! But I'll tell ya, +- 1.5db from 20hz-20khz looked nice on the monitors! Just made me chuckle a wee bit
post #861 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster911 View Post

I'll admit, I'm just looking at the screen by eye. A long time ago I was part of the car audio scene (IASCA level). Tens of thousands of dollars of equipment invested in my car. It got broken into one day, everything stolen ... They alarm killed the starter so they threw all my equipment in civic beside mine and took off with it! Then I replaced it with some cheap(er) stuff. I couldn't go through that again.

The point though is that without the oscilloscopes and waveform monitors (I was NOT an SPL guy, it was about SQ for me) the sound difference to the ear was barely noticeable!

When I used my normal ear, $25k barely made a difference in my car! But I'll tell ya, +- 1.5db from 20hz-20khz looked nice on the monitors! Just made me chuckle a wee bit

I did an event for screens a few years ago. We actually did two. First one we did not tell people what to look for, the second one the video clips were highlighted to show what to look for. When educated most people got it right and could easily tell the difference. A good trained eye is just as good in my view as any instrument. If an instrument goes beyond the human eye then it really becomes redundant. A good projector on a bad screen is still going to look bad. If you cannot sample and test it is usually an indication that it is a mess. If it is good people encourage you to test it. Think Joe Kane would not want you to test his screen?
post #862 of 1236
Fair enough... Either way, when I was in showrooms, I was never impressed for under $3k - my white painted wall worked perfectly fine for my needs. With the Elinevision screen, it's half the price as the others and seems to provide exceptional value. $3k for something I like vs. $1500 for something I like... I'll take the $1500 version!
post #863 of 1236
Anyone have pics of a ceiling mounted electric Reference?
I'd like to plan out my layout...
post #864 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster911 View Post

Fair enough... Either way, when I was in showrooms, I was never impressed for under $3k - my white painted wall worked perfectly fine for my needs. With the Elinevision screen, it's half the price as the others and seems to provide exceptional value. $3k for something I like vs. $1500 for something I like... I'll take the $1500 version!

Sounds like you like the 1500 in your pocket. If you found white paint acceptable maybe it's possible that your screen is marginally better only with waves in time. Or that the paint was better.
post #865 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarax View Post

Sounds like you like the 1500 in your pocket. If you found white paint acceptable maybe it's possible that your screen is marginally better only with waves in time. Or that the paint was better.

HA! $1500 doesn't stay in my pocket. That money saved goes toward on of my girls RESP's (one of the perks of being a dad).

However, I do want to qualify one aspect of my perception.

For the last decade, I've worked in the film industry. I'm educated and trained to work on Quantel IQ's ($million dollar 2/4k compositing systems) and Pablo's and have worked in the film industry as a colourist and post production colour correcter on Avid Symphony's. Credits include some Hollywood blockbusters.

I've spent enough time in screening rooms to know what looks good and what doesn't. And while I can't speak to durability and longevity of the screen, I can assure you that I know a thing or two about a good visual picture.

Is it perfect? Of course not... But I struggle with the Panny black as an LCD, but truthfully, an 80" calibrated picture on flat white paint, after proper colour correction is decent enough to sit back and say... "I think I can spend $3k more efficiently." Remember, I indicated my reasoning for going to a motorized screen was to be able to retract it when not in use rather than be a big "drawing board" for the kids.

Anyways, my only point was that the picture quality of the screen is excellent. Longevity and durability, I can't speak to.

However, if in 3-5 years the screen starts to buckle or wave, I'll be some pissed!!! Hopefully, the tension adjustments will help to combat that effect.
post #866 of 1236
Well I guess then it would be a good thing to test it huh.
post #867 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Anyone have pics of a ceiling mounted electric Reference?
I'd like to plan out my layout...

Anyone?
post #868 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Anyone?

http://www.elunevision.com/ref-tab/f6.jpg

Essentially, how it works is that you attach those two ceiling mounts (that come with the screen) to either the ceiling or the wall with screws. You space them apart and at the same height, and then clip the screen to the mounts.

If you have any specific questions that the above didn't answer, feel free to use the "Contact Us" page on Eastporters.com, and your inquiries will definitely be answered promptly.

Milosh
post #869 of 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj View Post

http://www.elunevision.com/ref-tab/f6.jpg

Essentially, how it works is that you attach those two ceiling mounts (that come with the screen) to either the ceiling or the wall with screws. You space them apart and at the same height, and then clip the screen to the mounts.

If you have any specific questions that the above didn't answer, feel free to use the "Contact Us" page on Eastporters.com, and your inquiries will definitely be answered promptly.

Milosh

Thanks Milosh! That's great! No need to plan to extra width in the box I'll build the inset that will flush mount the screen with the suspended ceiling. Nice!
post #870 of 1236
Well what do you know. I had time and could not help myself haha



Elunevision 130" 2.35 reference.



Me likey... A LOT but was it ever a pain in the arse to stretch AND hang.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › EluneVision screens