or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › What Speakers Disappointed You?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Speakers Disappointed You? - Page 4  

post #91 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy
That really sums it up.
Does it? I thought he left a few brands out. :p
post #92 of 267
Let's ask Ailment, so he can say everything except NHT!
post #93 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg
the use of the term "hater" is a pet peeve of mine. And regarding the age-related comment -- I don't see a whole lot of us "older" crowd using that term....it is a current "youth" slang.

heh, you must not ever watch the Faux News channel...wingnuts of all ages love to throw the word "hater" around at the drop of a hat, esp. "America-hater" and "Bush-hater." :rolleyes:
post #94 of 267
edster922, why are you such a fox hater? is it because their prime time news lineup consistently whoops the butt of the of the liberal television media?

i would say this doesn't belong in this forum but that would make me a major hypocrit (who can't spell)...
post #95 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli
Please, in the spirit of fairness, before you throw a manufacturer under the bus, did you use pristine demo material and was it in a good sounding room? I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair shake. Make sure the sound you heard that was poopie was not because of the room or the program material.
But what if we watch movies from the last 50 years, and listen to stuff like late 60s Hendrix live shows?

What good will pristine demo material do us? We want speakers that also sound good with the poop!

I think part of the problem with some speakers, is they sound like crap with real world music ...
post #96 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie
edster922, why are you such a fox hater? is it because their prime time news lineup consistently whoops the butt of the of the liberal television media?

i would say this doesn't belong in this forum but that would make me a major hypocrit (who can't spell)...
No, because they are such a hopelessly unprofessional news organization. Not that CNN is much better but at least CNN is not so blatantly biased.

BTW there is no such thing as the "liberal media" anymore...it's all been conglomerated, corporatized, detoothed and dumbed down into the usual corporate tabloid/infotainment trash. Time, Newsweek, CBS/CNN/NBC/ABC, it's all the same useless twaddle.
post #97 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922
No, because they are such a hopelessly unprofessional news organization.
Hmm... Whether you like FNC's political bend or not, I've seen even the most staunchest of liberals admit that it's a extremely well operated orginazation and is a very slick presentation. Which is why it's the number one cable news channel.


Getting back on topic: The worst sounding speakers I've ever brought home were a pair of Paradigms. The tweeters were absolutely awful sounding. Very splashy! I took them back the next day and left with a pair of B&W's.
post #98 of 267
Klipsch bad? Yours good? CNN good? fox bad? Man I'm glad I disagree with you guys 100% because that makes me 100% correct.
post #99 of 267
Quote:
Not that CNN is much better but at least CNN is not so blatantly biased.
I'm NOT speaking neccesarily well of FOX, but God man, do you really believe that?
post #100 of 267
Well, this thread sure drifted off. Not that it ever really was destined to be very useful...
post #101 of 267
Most of these posts are ridiculous. How can someone say B&W (for example) speakers sound horrible? Sure, some B&W's sound horrible in my opinion but others sound great. Each speaker design needs to be reviewed on its own merits. You can't just throw brand X under the bus because you heard one design that sounded bad. If this thread is to be useful define the specific model and what you thought was wrong with it.
post #102 of 267
The whole concept is ridiculous too because it is hugely dependant on the room setup, the system etc.
post #103 of 267
i may have skipped over it but im sure i didn't see NUANCE on there.
post #104 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by spann-man
Most of these posts are ridiculous. How can someone say B&W (for example) speakers sound horrible? Sure, some B&W's sound horrible in my opinion but others sound great. Each speaker design needs to be reviewed on its own merits. You can't just throw brand X under the bus because you heard one design that sounded bad. If this thread is to be useful define the specific model and what you thought was wrong with it.

Well.... to clarify and/or elaborate.... when I went to audition B & W (over two years ago now), the demo room with the "regular stuff" was in use so, I was afforded the opportunity to listen to some incredible nautilus (don't remember the exact numbers), which I could in no way afford. They were pure magic, driven by McIntosh amps and pre-amps with a Shenling (sp?) tube CD player. All set up in a well appointed and heavily treated room. Hell.... even the coffee was first rate.

When my turn came in the "real world prices" room.... it was set up more like a typical big box store. A wall of electronics behind you with a wall of speakers in front of you. A squished up rectangular room without treatments of any kind.

Still, especially after lusting after the nautilus I had just heard and already armed with the reputation of the B & W line in general.... I was expecting WAY more performance that I heard. The CDM line was boxy sounding, the bass was muddy, and the mids were practically non existent.

On to the 600 series.... bass was better and a little tighter, but still a bit anemic or not what I expected I guess. The mids were also a bit recessed and they were on the bright side in the treble. The 700 series was a very nice sounding speaker, but out of my budget range.

They all suffered IMHO from poor imaging and soundstage in this room. When I pointed out to the sales guy that they might be better served by changing their placement to an A/B/C.... A/B/C arrangement rather than how they were set up.... A/B/C.... C/B/A, he got very indignant and almost abusive. He "informed me" that they had represented the B & W brand for almost 10 years and that they knew what they were doing.

So, like I said.... I left without having a great impression of B & W speakers that were in my price range. It doesn't matter if anyone was at fault (the dealer, the room, the set up, or my hearing), the OP just asked what speakers had disappointed. So, I shared my experience.

It certainly wasn't an indictment of the brand as a whole.... just an observation and an opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.
post #105 of 267
John W,

Sorry if you took it the wrong way but I was not directing this at you. I was just using B&W as an example. Thanks for the post though. Probably the first in this thread with any merit. Did not personally like the 600's either? I did like the CDM-1SE (its been a while) as I almost purchased a pair. I am not really a big B&W fan for the most part hear until you get into the higher end stuff from them.
post #106 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
I'm NOT speaking neccesarily well of FOX, but God man, do you really believe that?
CNN is less biased than Fox based on his own biases : >

Of course you might think differently if you were a neo-conservatist who grew up from the Reagan-era without a real concept of race relations.
post #107 of 267
Astrallite, I hate being "that guy" and perpetuating an off topic thread, but from your post it seems you have a missunderstanding of neoconservatives. They are former democrats who usually retain their liberal social viewpoints but with a much more hawkish foreign policy that is based on an idealogy of promoting democracy in order to maintain stability throughout the world. That is a bit of a 30 second genneralization, but good enough for now.

Neo-conservatives have nothing to do with poor race relations in this country, quite the opposite. Examples of neocons are Bill Crystal, Fred Barns, Charles Krauthammer, Paul Wolfowitz, to name a few.

But I've already said too much OT.
post #108 of 267
ib4l



in before locked!
post #109 of 267
To get back on topic, I'll throw in a twist here.

Has there ever been a professional review, preferably in one of the widely distributed magazines, that out and out disliked a speaker? To the point where it was advised that everyone should steer clear of it?

This is common with a lot of other reviews, movies, video games, cars. Why is it that we rarely (if ever) see a magazine like Perfect Vision just come out and say, this speaker (ABCD) just sucks. Its good for nobody or nothing?
post #110 of 267
They may not say they dislike it ,
would probably a comment like, " it offers great value", or "a very stylish package", or
" if you are looking for a lifestyle system then this may fit your needs."

They may comment on the treble being forward, plus a few more underhanded compliments then say,"this speaker continues in the tradition of brand X and will be a
great upgrade for brand X owners."


Lastly, lets keep the news show comments out of this thread.
This thread is about speakers that you had high hopes for and were looking forward to finally hearing.
And they let you down.(for whatever reason)
post #111 of 267
I have a few speakers that fall into this category but one that sticks out was the JM Lab Chorus 706 and 707.
It was in a dealers room with different gear so of course that could be the reason.
I also had Triangle Titus' at home, but the Chorus 706/707 sounded so muffled compared to the Titus,
but again, could have sounded different at home.
post #112 of 267
Quote:
The whole concept is ridiculous too because it is hugely dependant on the room setup, the system etc.
Actually , if a room is bad then I wouldn't pass judgement on the speakers based on that particular demo, but I, rather, make observations , ussually, based on many experiances at differant places . If a dealer has, at least, one room that can make speakers sound good, then ask him if you can bring some others into that room. I don't generally try to audition on poor gear (even if that's what I currently would be using) and I don't listen for how good a speaker can sound in a poor room. If a speaker can produce Magic, then it's up to me to try to get magic back out of it again in my own system.
post #113 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie
To get back on topic, I'll throw in a twist here.

Has there ever been a professional review, preferably in one of the widely distributed magazines, that out and out disliked a speaker? To the point where it was advised that everyone should steer clear of it?

This is common with a lot of other reviews, movies, video games, cars. Why is it that we rarely (if ever) see a magazine like Perfect Vision just come out and say, this speaker (ABCD) just sucks. Its good for nobody or nothing?
These are the same magazines that recommend using $20.00/ft speaker cable. One (I think it was Hi Fi News) even advertised green magic markers to improve the sound of CDs!
post #114 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
I'm NOT speaking neccesarily well of FOX, but God man, do you really believe that?
Yes. Just like there are hookers who'll give you the clap and hookers who'll give you AIDS, the lesser of two evils between Faux and CNN is CNN which at least PRETENDS to be somewhat professional and unbiased, as opposed to a cheerleading corps for the Republican party.
post #115 of 267
The "pretends" part is what bothers me , and while FOX has liberal pundits on from time to time, you also know that a lot of what they say on both sides is OP ED style , while CNN on the other hand, like CBS, tries to get you to believe they are unbiased journalists, and take them seriously....Ted turner? PLEEEEEASE.
post #116 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
The "pretends" part is what bothers me , and while FOX has liberal pundits on from time to time, you also know that a lot of what they say on both sides is OP ED style , while CNN on the other hand, like CBS, tries to get you to believe they are unbiased journalists, and take them seriously....Ted turner? PLEEEEEASE.
Will you guys please get off the subject of TV networks, this is supposed to be about speakers!
post #117 of 267
Well there has been much mention of Klipsch but I'm still going to beat on the other end of the dead horse. I used to love them and now I don't. I still own mine and will keep them for my son. They were my intro into the HiFi world, the joint that led to stronger stuff. My ears have grown up now and I can no longer appreciate Klipsch's ability to spray sound at my face, but there was a time when I couldn't get enough of it. That being said, there is no way for me to be disapointed by them, I know what they sound like and I know I don't like it. My tastes are more refined now (read - old) and I like my Aerials.

What speakers disapointed? When I was demo'ing speakers to replace my Klipsch I came accross a room with some Wilson Audio towers powered by a Mark Levinson system. I can't remember model numbers but the speakers listed for $75k. They sounded awesome. The imaging was breathtaking. I truely don't know if I've heard anything better. But, what they lacked to my senses was the feeling of doing two chicks at the same time, which is the kind of action a guy like me expects from a $75k pair of something in my living room. What a disapointment!
post #118 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefCon
My ears have grown up now and I can no longer appreciate Klipsch's ability to spray sound at my face,

But, what they lacked to my senses was the feeling of doing two chicks at the same time, which is the kind of action a guy like me expects from a $75k pair of something in my living room. What a disapointment!
ROTFL on both counts!!!
post #119 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
The "pretends" part is what bothers me , and while FOX has liberal pundits on from time to time, you also know that a lot of what they say on both sides is OP ED style , while CNN on the other hand, like CBS, tries to get you to believe they are unbiased journalists, and take them seriously....Ted turner? PLEEEEEASE.

well I've never been a big fan of CBS but even they don't have the gall to have "Fair and Balanced" as their corporate motto.

That's like John Holmes having "Chastity" tattooed on his chest.
post #120 of 267
Don't you hate hijacked threads!!!!.

gives me another chance to say how much I dislike Axiom...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › What Speakers Disappointed You?