I have to admit that I also got very excited upon the news of this (potentally) wonderful 2807 receiver with HDMI upconversion and so on.
Having older 3803 receiver, Paradigm Monitors surround setup, Pioneer 42" plasma HD w/HDMI , Denon DVD 2200 and SA 8300H, I thought the same way as almost everybody here: how wonderful it would be to connect plasma with receiver with just one HDMI cable. Right ? WRONG !!!
After hearing all these reports about incompatibilities in HDMI betw. SA83000 and 2807 and then reading that people decide to feed the HD signal with component instead, but still using HDMI for DVD, I realized it's all MADNESS !!!
Why would you feed BETTER (HD) picture with WORSE cable and the WORSE (DVD) picture with the BETTER cable ?
So, my personal solution is ... staying with the setup I have:
1) SA8300HD connected with plasma directly through HDMI and the extra audio
dig-coax connection w/3803.
2) Univ player (DVD, SACD, DVD-A) through component with 3803 (and all possible audio cables) and then 3803 through component w/plasma
CONS: So I have 2 cables going into my plasma and have to switch the TV's inputs with the remote ( and how tought it really is, huh ???)
- the HD (cable) picture is fed through the HD-quality cable and it shows !
- the DVD picture is fed throug the component cable, which is effecient enough
( in a meanwhile we are all speculating about upcoming HD DVD ...)
- I don't even need to use the receiver in order to watch HD/SD TV, which greatly benefits my wife and daughter (they don't really know how to operate properly 3803)
- for the TV the sound is played through the TV's speakers (for news, etc.) and I can always choose to play it through my audio system at the same time or separately.
- heck, I can even watch the movie/game/news broadcast (with the low volume on TV) and listen to my favorite CD/SACD/DVD-A at the same time (which I love !)
So I keept what i have, enjoy, HD-quality picture, don't get frustrated by SA/cable industry inability to follow the same HDMI standards and ... wait until the dust settles over the HD DVD and HDMI formats wars .
And - forgot to mention - keep my $1100 intact, maybe I could upgrade my Digms in the meanwhile ???