or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 490

post #14671 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker88 View Post

Transformers is a terrible disc to use as a demo. Even the HD-DVD version I played on my XA2 only looked so-so. Standard def of that DVD looks like the worst bootleg movie I ever saw. Try another DVD.

My 1st reply on 2/27
HD-A35 player with a Tosh 42HL167 TV And both SD and HD are stunning. I have not tried the SD on PS3 yet but I am curious and will give it a try tomorrow.
2nd reply today
Played Transformers SD on PS3 and upscale not quite A-35 but a good view.
post #14672 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofice View Post

I have to admit i was against getting a ps3 as a sole BR player but now after reading I think it's the best choice... it is still right? It can be upgraded to a 2.0 player with firmware?

And will the 40gb bundle with spiderman be a good choice?

I like mine and the Spiderman 3 will blow you away.
post #14673 of 32083
Anyone have any info on if the upcoming new 80 GB bundle with the DualShock and game will use the smaller processors like the 40GB model?

I'm sure lots of folks would like to have a cooler, quieter model that's full-featured. My 60GB is pretty quiet compared to some out there, but you can never hear the fan on my friend's 40 GB model, even when you're right next to it.
post #14674 of 32083
That's my description of my 60. Well close. I have to get right up next to it to hear anything.

I want a silver PS3 with card readers and PS2/SACD capability. I could care less what size the HDD is... just give it to me, SCEA!
post #14675 of 32083
Why won't any Blurays from netflix play on my PS3 it has the latest update and is the brandnew 40g version. The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?
post #14676 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

That's my description of my 60. Well close. I have to get right up next to it to hear anything.

I want a silver PS3 with card readers and PS2/SACD capability. I could care less what size the HDD is... just give it to me, SCEA!

No, I want it to have an HD DVR built in with a huge hard drive and HD DTS and True HD bitstreaming also too besides on top of what you said.
post #14677 of 32083
netflix bluerays including 300 played fine on my ps3 80 gig.... do you have any problems with gameS?
post #14678 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Why won't any Blurays from netflix play on my PS3 it has the latest update and is the brandnew 40g version. The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?

Do DVDs play?
post #14679 of 32083
Two new skus have been announced for Europe. Both are 40gb as thats all they offer there. The game sku comes with Gran Turismo 5 and the "movie bundle" comes with Spiderman 3, Casino Royale and 300. Pictures are up at ps3fanboy.com.
post #14680 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

When is Q2?? When I talked to Sony today, they had no expected date for the release for ANY PS3s...but they said they would be the first ones to dispense them. Some guy took my name and info and said he would call me as soon as they get some in. He said the demand has been huge.... especially the last few days.

I want to wait, but I REALLY REALLY wanted to get my PS3 before Easter!! I hate to pout like a kid, but mommy I want one now!

LOL! I understand...I am impatient too!

Q1- Jan-Mar
Q2- Apr-June
Q3- July-Sept
Q4- Oct-Dec
post #14681 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot12 View Post

No, I want it to have an HD DVR built in with a huge hard drive and HD DTS and True HD bitstreaming also too besides on top of what you said.

I've already got a 160GB in mine. You can get at least 300GB if not higher now. If Sony had put standard SATA drives instead of the laptops, we could be doing terabyte drives and the like... but then would be dealing with a bigger form factor. I'd be happy if they put one or two USB slots on the back of the unit and then we could pick any ol off the shelf USB drive/SATA enclosure. Or just do eSATA....
post #14682 of 32083
Quote:


The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?

Probably a silly question, but all those titles are available on HD-DVD as well. Are you sure they didn't send you those by accident?
post #14683 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

I've already got a 160GB in mine. You can get at least 300GB if not higher now. If Sony had put standard SATA drives instead of the laptops, we could be doing terabyte drives and the like... but then would be dealing with a bigger form factor. I'd be happy if they put one or two USB slots on the back of the unit and then we could pick any ol off the shelf USB drive/SATA enclosure. Or just do eSATA....

Just popped in a 320gb....I read that 500gb is around the corner.
post #14684 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Why won't any Blurays from netflix play on my PS3 it has the latest update and is the brandnew 40g version. The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?

I remember reading about playback problems with early firmware, but nothing recent. Possibly you have a defective unit. You didn't mention your set up, if its in a chain try hooking up PS3 directly to your TV temporarily and see what happens. You didn't give much info for anybody to help, has it ever worked with BR?
post #14685 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lik View Post

I just want to make sure I understand how to make PS3 stop upconverting and sent native source resolution to my Integra processor: under Display settings, where I set TV resolutions, I have to check all of them? This way PS3 will send signal as it reads from the sourse (480p (or is it 480i?) from SD DVDs, 1080P from BR etc)? DId I get this right? I want to use my Integra Reon upscaler instead of PS3 one. Connected with HDMI.

The PS3 upconverting is very good, but I find that sending a 480i signal from my Oppo 980 to the Integra 9.8 and having the REON in it upconvert, the picture is as near HD DVD as I have seen.
post #14686 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Why won't any Blurays from netflix play on my PS3 it has the latest update and is the brandnew 40g version. The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?

Also check to make sure the disks aren't cracked.
post #14687 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Why won't any Blurays from netflix play on my PS3 it has the latest update and is the brandnew 40g version. The movies are 300, planet earth disc4 and NIN. Can someone help me out ?

I just watched Live Free or Die Hard in BD from Netflix, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I'm running the original 60GB PS3, and really haven't had any problems at all (knock on wood).

Have you ever been able to play a Blu-Ray disk (not just the ones from Netflix)?
post #14688 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

I'd be happy if they put one or two USB slots on the back of the unit and then we could pick any ol off the shelf USB drive/SATA enclosure. Or just do eSATA....

Although not really a viable option for a huge upgrade in storage, you can use the USB slots on the front with FAT32 formatted USB HDDs up to 32GB.
post #14689 of 32083
Well I have researched all of the available players in the forums and since I am a Blu-ray newbie from HD-DVD I came to the conclusion that too many of the players have issues. A lot of issues... Even the profile 1.0 on most economical players makes them almost obsolete. So I REALLY prefer a unit that has analog outputs but from what I have read the PS3 is the fairly safe route to go. Will I notice an increase in sound bandwidth like I did with my HD-A3 over optical?

So do I spend $300 on a Sharp Aquos with some problems with CD playback or $399 for a 40g PS3? It will be used strictly for the movie experience.

Thanks!
post #14690 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOp View Post

Well I have researched all of the available players in the forums and since I am a Blu-ray newbie from HD-DVD I came to the conclusion that too many of the players have issues. A lot of issues... Even the profile 1.0 on most economical players makes them almost obsolete. So I REALLY prefer a unit that has analog outputs but from what I have read the PS3 is the fairly safe route to go. Will I notice an increase in sound bandwidth like I did with my HD-A3 over optical?

So do I spend $300 on a Sharp Aquos with some problems with CD playback or $399 for a 40g PS3? It will be used strictly for the movie experience.

Thanks!

Question(s) for you: Are you planning to use *only* the audio toslink/optical out on the PS3? Or will you be using HDMI?

The advanced audio codecs (i.e. Dolby Digital TrueHD) are only available on HDMI, while Dolby Digital and DTS regular are the only formats that are sent via optical/toslink.

Please reply back with your intended settings. Thanks.
post #14691 of 32083
I have a Kenwood 6.1-THX receiver but no HDMI input available unfortunately. So analog 5.1 inputs is my best option. However my Toshiba A3from what I have read actually increased the bandwidth of most HD movies to the Toslinks maximum something like 640k/s. I could be wrong but I sure heard a MAJOR difference in sound in comparison to my JVC Prog. Player.

Does the PS3 have dual video decoders for the PIP so that profile 2.0 will work? I'm stuck between sacrificing sound or the future profile...

$400 is my limit... or so the wife says...
post #14692 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar View Post

Just popped in a 320gb....I read that 500gb is around the corner.

whered you get the 320gigger?
newegg?
post #14693 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although not really a viable option for a huge upgrade in storage, you can use the USB slots on the front with FAT32 formatted USB HDDs up to 32GB.

You can use a much larger hard drive than that! I recently purchased a 500GB FAT32-formatted USB drive and my PS3 recognized it instantly.

It's true that Windows doesn't want to format a drive larger than 32GB to FAT32, but there are third-party solutions to do the format if necessary.
post #14694 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOp View Post

Well I have researched all of the available players in the forums and since I am a Blu-ray newbie from HD-DVD I came to the conclusion that too many of the players have issues. A lot of issues... Even the profile 1.0 on most economical players makes them almost obsolete. So I REALLY prefer a unit that has analog outputs but from what I have read the PS3 is the fairly safe route to go. Will I notice an increase in sound bandwidth like I did with my HD-A3 over optical?

So do I spend $300 on a Sharp Aquos with some problems with CD playback or $399 for a 40g PS3? It will be used strictly for the movie experience.

Thanks!

I too started with HD-DVD, and have similar thoughts as you re: Bluray. It floors me that the disc makers are using DTS-HD, that can't be read by most of the players yet.

Check out the Panny BD-30. It will actually play the DTS-HD, and has no major issues.
post #14695 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOp View Post

I have a Kenwood 6.1-THX receiver but no HDMI input available unfortunately. So analog 5.1 inputs is my best option. However my Toshiba A3from what I have read actually increased the bandwidth of most HD movies to the Toslinks maximum something like 640k/s. I could be wrong but I sure heard a MAJOR difference in sound in comparison to my JVC Prog. Player.

Does the PS3 have dual video decoders for the PIP so that profile 2.0 will work? I'm stuck between sacrificing sound or the future profile...

$400 is my limit... or so the wife says...

I thought PIP was part of profile 1.1, which the PS3 already does.

Profiles Explained
post #14696 of 32083
while the WD 320GB HDD will fit the PS3, the new 500GB may not as the drives are slightly thicker than the normal sized units...
post #14697 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

... It floors me that the disc makers are using DTS-HD, that can't be read by most of the players yet...

You really shouldn't look at that as a negative at all. The codecs usually have reduced capability functionality, and when players can decode the higher capability codecs, at least your disk will have that feature. So in fact, the disk is being somewhat future proofed, rather than being limited to current player capability. It's a plus really.
post #14698 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by anezthetik View Post

netflix bluerays including 300 played fine on my ps3 80 gig.... do you have any problems with gameS?

after holding them up to a light i saw a small crack on ALL three movies. I think Netflix and blurays are a bad combo. Maybe they need to slip the discs in a cardboard sleeve instead of paper. Seven out of ten blu-rays from netflix cracked is just too much. I almost thought it was my ps3. Good thing I didn't return it. Also all the BRs I bought play fine so it's def netflix. I think i'll just use netflix for SD movies.
post #14699 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

I too started with HD-DVD, and have similar thoughts as you re: Bluray. It floors me that the disc makers are using DTS-HD, that can't be read by most of the players yet.

Check out the Panny BD-30. It will actually play the DTS-HD, and has no major issues.


BD30 plays DTS HD as does Samsung BD-P1400.
post #14700 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

You can use a much larger hard drive than that! I recently purchased a 500GB FAT32-formatted USB drive and my PS3 recognized it instantly.

It's true that Windows doesn't want to format a drive larger than 32GB to FAT32, but there are third-party solutions to do the format if necessary.

sorry for the noob ? but I just turned purple last weekend. Does the ps3 only read drives that are formatted in FAT32,or will it read NTFS format as well? When I set up my ps3 to update via flash drive (NTFS), it didn't recognize the update folder on the drive. Yes, I followed the instructions from the playstation site to the letter. I ended up updating via ethernet. Any help is appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread