or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 571

post #17101 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

NOTE: Pan's Labyrinth (other than the studio logo) will not output as 7.1 on the PS3; the DTS-HD MA Limited decoder does not suppport the specific mapping used on this title and will extract 5.1 only. So, for PS3 users... It's a 5.1 title.

So, since all the movies you listed are 5.1 (yes, even Pan's in this case)... It is clear you are having trouble with your receiver matrixing the 5.1 PCM output from your PS3 to your 7.1 environment. I'm not familiar with your receiver, so I really can't comment on what is configured wrong. Your PS3 settings seem to be fine.

Also, do you have another 7.1 title (hopefully not another DTS-HD MA with the same incompatible map that makes it 5.1 on PS3)? But if that works fine, it doesn't really solve your 5.1 --> 7.1 problem.

Update: It seems your Onkyo 605 receiver can't process/matrix incoming 5.1 PCM to 7.1. So, I think that explains most of your problem? See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854091 Use search for more.


Not sure it will help the OP, but the new Onkyo 606 will matrix 5.1 MPCM to 7.1.
post #17102 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Except for the price reduction and the choice of game bundled with the PS3, are there any feature changes expected in the upcoming new 80GB PS3 due to ship in June compared to the now discontinued 80GB version?
--bob

Other than the Dual shock 3 controller--it is unknown.
post #17103 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

This has been known for a while. I'm assuming you are using the lasted firmware in the PS3 so that tells me they haven't fixed the problem yet. Basically the PS3 outputs the 2 channel CD as 5.1, with the extra channels having no sound. Take a look at your receiver and it should show 5.1 channels being received. So the receiver doesn't think it needs to do anything but only 2 channels actually have sound in them.

I have 2.30 firmware. And, yeah, I thought it was kind of screwy where the Onkyo display button would show 5.1 channels with a 2-track audio CD playback from the PS3 (and then play only 2 channels) -- But that was only true for the way I used to have the PS3 set. Now that I have disabled all the 176.4kHz frequency Audio Output Settings on the PS3 (and set other PS3 settings as the above post indicates), the Onkyo display shows that it is receiving only a 2-track 88.2kHz PCM input and will rematrix/process it to any multichannel surround mode that I choose. And while this does seem to be a bug with the PS3 (the 5.1 showing for a 2-track audio CD 176.4kHz output), this seems to be a great work around w/o losing any functionality.

- da Choge
post #17104 of 32083
Whats the differences between the sixaxis controller and the DS?
post #17105 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSlow View Post

Whats the differences between the sixaxis controller and the DS?

Rumble and weight. The DS3 is heavier.

Brandon
post #17106 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Other than the Dual shock 3 controller--it is unknown.

Thanks! I hadn't realized they also changed the bundled controller.
--Bob
post #17107 of 32083
I just hooked up my PS3 to my Sony XBR4 using an HDMI cable. DVDs and video games play fine, but when I put in a Blu Ray the colors change to weird fluorescents and the colors are COMPLETELY off. When I take out the Blu Ray the television display still looks the same and the only way to make it look okay is to reset the TV to its factory display settings.
post #17108 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKC7 View Post

I just hooked up my PS3 to my Sony XBR4 using an HDMI cable. DVDs and video games play fine, but when I put in a Blu Ray the colors change to weird fluorescents and the colors are COMPLETELY off. When I take out the Blu Ray the television display still looks the same and the only way to make it look okay is to reset the TV to its factory display settings.

Check the video output settings. It will be either RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. Swap it to the opposite one to the one it's set at and see if that solves your problem.
post #17109 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post

Check the video output settings. It will be either RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. Swap it to the opposite one to the one it's set at and see if that solves your problem.

I tried both, and its still doing the whole fluorescent and weird off-color thing.
post #17110 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKC7 View Post

I tried both, and its still doing the whole fluorescent and weird off-color thing.

Change HDMI cables and/or input slots.

Force individual resolutions and see if you get the same issue on all of them.

Brandon
post #17111 of 32083
Hi, guys,
I haven't used my PS3 to watch BD movies, for some time now, as I have an LG 200 and a Samsung 5000. However, I got excited about the new FW and decided to see/hear for myself. I am using a Samsung HL-T 6189s tv. When I connect the PS3 to it, the picture gets quite distorted, or snowy. If I play with the input /it seems a little lose/ it eventually improves a bit, but I see a line in the middle of the screen. Sometimes pulsates and stuff... I remember reading something about the bad HDMI input on the PS3, but can't remember much. I've tried different cables and I don't think it's my tv... How do you deal with that? Thanks
post #17112 of 32083
Is there any chance Sony will put a better audio chip in the up coming 80gig PS3 to bitstream
post #17113 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Is there any chance Sony will put a better audio chip in the up coming 80gig PS3 to bitstream

They need to save something for the standalones!!
post #17114 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKC7 View Post

I just hooked up my PS3 to my Sony XBR4 using an HDMI cable. DVDs and video games play fine, but when I put in a Blu Ray the colors change to weird fluorescents and the colors are COMPLETELY off. When I take out the Blu Ray the television display still looks the same and the only way to make it look okay is to reset the TV to its factory display settings.

I noticed that on my samsung 5281F, that for bluray games and movies, I have to leave my brightness at default (50) where it is normally, but have to raise it 6 (up to 56 from 50 )notches for PS2 games, picture viewing, and the trailers I download from PSN. Otherwise it will crush blacks on sd dvd, downloaded trailers, pictures, PS2 Games. Strange. Anybody else chime in with this??
post #17115 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I noticed that on my samsung 5281F, that for bluray games and movies, I have to leave my brightness at default (50) where it is normally, but have to raise it 6 (up to 56 from 50 )notches for PS2 games, picture viewing, and the trailers I download from PSN. Otherwise it will crush blacks on sd dvd, downloaded trailers, pictures, PS2 Games. Strange. Anybody else chime in with this??


Sounds like your set likes HD more than SD.
post #17116 of 32083
Lol
post #17117 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

They need to save something for the standalones!!

You mean those machines that only really do one thing, make that two things, ummm 3 things. They play BD's, DVD's and CD's, but they can also do....ummm... nothing. Even the 2000.00 ones. lol. It has been a pleasure owning something that does so much for relatively so little and makes one appreciate it can do what machines 4 times the cost can't.
post #17118 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

You mean those machines that only really do one thing, make that two things, ummm 3 things. They play BD's, DVD's and CD's, but they can also do....ummm... nothing. Even the 2000.00 ones. lol. It has been a pleasure owning something that does so much for relatively so little and makes one appreciate it can do what machines 4 times the cost can't.

I agree, its nice to actually buy something today that works, it's very good at what it does and still get good price
post #17119 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

They need to save something for the standalones!!

Won't the Sony stand alones be out about the same time as the new PS3.
post #17120 of 32083
I just got a ps3 and love it. VERY basic question hope someone can answer:

Do you always have to select the desired audio track in the meu before watching a blu-ray, or is there a way to automatically have it play the best sound for the disc (PCM/trueHD/DTS-MA)?

If I missed this, a link would be most appreciated. thanks
post #17121 of 32083
Goose. Pretty Much all MA discs(Fox) will default to that so no need to worry there.

But for PCM you will have to select that from the menu. I don't think any discs default to PCM.

For TrueHD I'm pretty sure only the new Sony discs will default to TrueHD. For the most part these have to be select in the top menu.

Or you can just hit the audio button on your remote.
The PS3 doesn't have a feature that will force discs to start with a certain track playing. It's up to the studios to author their discs to you get the primo stuff first.
post #17122 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebump View Post

I just got a ps3 and love it. VERY basic question hope someone can answer:

Do you always have to select the desired audio track in the meu before watching a blu-ray, or is there a way to automatically have it play the best sound for the disc (PCM/trueHD/DTS-MA)?

If I missed this, a link would be most appreciated. thanks

There is no way to automatically play "the best sound" -- and the default soundtrack is up to the author.

Both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are 'backwards compatible' (if your system doesn't support it, it'll output Dolby Digital or DTS, respectively)... so it's viable to make these the default.

For discs with PCM, it's not really the best choice to have it be the default... since the masses without HDMI multi-channel PCM capability get 2-channel stereo. (The PS3, and no Blu-ray player I know of, currently converts PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS for full optical compatibility, which is a shame.) These discs will default to Dolby Digital in almost all cases.

Yes, yet another advantage for Lossless over PCM.
post #17123 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

Both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are 'backwards compatible' (if your system doesn't support it, it'll output Dolby Digital or DTS, respectively)... so it's viable to make these the default.

That is technically true only for DTS. TrueHD does not have a core stream. Instead there may be a hidden DD5.1 Track or it fail back to DD5.1 if there is an official DD5.1 Track.

Protheus
post #17124 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

You mean those machines that only really do one thing, make that two things, ummm 3 things. They play BD's, DVD's and CD's, but they can also do....ummm... nothing. Even the 2000.00 ones. lol. It has been a pleasure owning something that does so much for relatively so little and makes one appreciate it can do what machines 4 times the cost can't.

my brother owns the 2k dennon player and claims pq is better. however i have to wonder if it's a case where he has to justify the price and it just has to be better or it really is, but again is it 1.5k better?.... i would think not.

the ps3 is hands down the best deal out there. extreemly great pq and usability. really can't beat it.

now that the ps3 is capable of decoding all hbr codecs the only reason left for a sa unit is for people who complaign about fan noise.

i believe the ps3 may be the only unit out there that can decode DTS-MA and DTS-HR in one unit. i think the sa units only do one or the other. any one have any input on this??
post #17125 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I noticed that on my samsung 5281F, that for bluray games and movies, I have to leave my brightness at default (50) where it is normally, but have to raise it 6 (up to 56 from 50 )notches for PS2 games, picture viewing, and the trailers I download from PSN. Otherwise it will crush blacks on sd dvd, downloaded trailers, pictures, PS2 Games. Strange. Anybody else chime in with this??

It sounds like you might have set RGB output to Full Range in Display Settings. This will output black at video level 0 for games, pictures etc., while the black level for DVD and BD movies is still at video level 16 if they are output in YCbCr format instead of RGB.

Try setting RGB to Limited and then you should be able to use the same brightness setting for everything.
post #17126 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Goose. Pretty Much all MA discs(Fox) will default to that so no need to worry there.

But for PCM you will have to select that from the menu. I don't think any discs default to PCM.

For TrueHD I'm pretty sure only the new Sony discs will default to TrueHD. For the most part these have to be select in the top menu.

Or you can just hit the audio button on your remote.
The PS3 doesn't have a feature that will force discs to start with a certain track playing. It's up to the studios to author their discs to you get the primo stuff first.

Shadowrage & grommet --- many thanks for the replies!

I understand, but it's a shame it's so complicated to explain to a non-tech person getting into HD (i.e. my parents, etc).
What do you tell the average consumer (assuming one has an hdmi receiver)?... 1. always choose PCM, 2. otherwise choose MA or TrueHD (just seems hard to remember/overly complicated for the masses...)
post #17127 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebump View Post

Shadowrage & grommet --- many thanks for the replies!

I understand, but it's a shame it's so complicated to explain to a non-tech person getting into HD (i.e. my parents, etc).
What do you tell the average consumer (assuming one has an hdmi receiver)?... 1. always choose PCM, 2. otherwise choose MA or TrueHD (just seems hard to remember/overly complicated for the masses...)

it is complications such as this that send the older generation into hiding from the HD change.

My father in law finally got a hd tv however he will not bother with a surround unit or b) player. he is looking into a hd upgrade with his cable company. it is mostly fear of technology and comfort with a known working method that will dictate his buying preferences.
post #17128 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs View Post

my brother owns the 2k dennon player and claims pq is better.

I would hope so for $1600 more!!
post #17129 of 32083
Anybody out there with a PS3 Wi-Fi hookup. I did an upgrade from dialup to WiFi on PC and wondering if hooking up to PS3 is a feasible option. I did manage to download 124.5mb upgrade-USB in a hour and 35 minutes. This would have been at least a 18 to 24 hour project before if it stayed online. I was wondering if anybody did the WiFi to PS3 upgrade direct. I love living in the boonies but you have to make compromises.
post #17130 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It sounds like you might have set RGB output to Full Range in Display Settings. This will output black at video level 0 for games, pictures etc., while the black level for DVD and BD movies is still at video level 16 if they are output in YCbCr format instead of RGB.

Try setting RGB to Limited and then you should be able to use the same brightness setting for everything.

I have RGB set to full with the same TV and the PS3 and don't experience this problem. Perhaps he hasn't set the TV's dynamic range to "full" as well.

Brandon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread