or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 32083
They probably thought they could get a few 'bottom-liners' to buy by shaving the bucks off that including an HD-DVD drive would've added. Sort of like the PC market...get them in the door w/ a lower price-point. Then add on the add-ons...

They were more than thinking about it, I'd wager, they were counting on it. Looks like it worked.
post #302 of 32083
I think they should have waited and put in an HD-DVD drive. I also think that they would have still launched before the PS3 if they had planned to put in the HD-DVD. Probably wouldn't had been a year though.
post #303 of 32083
I agree, maybe they'll come out with a revised 360 w/ an internal drive? I might spring for that.

Exept, that 360s a monster. I don't know where I'd put it in my A/V rack. I mean, it looks sort of svelt in photos, but in person, it's ginormous.
post #304 of 32083
The PS3 is kinda big too when I say it for the first time at the Sony Building. I was like damn !!!!
post #305 of 32083
We know the xbox360 has a brick for its external power supply, not sure what the final design is on the PS3 in that regards. Original some Sony exec said internal was better, which IMO is false, but later reports came that it may be external.

post #306 of 32083
Hmm...PS3 is a monster, too, huh? Thought it might have similar form-factor to the PS2, which is much smaller.
post #307 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

I agree, maybe they'll come out with a revised 360 w/ an internal drive? I might spring for that.

Except, that 360s a monster. I don't know where I'd put it in my A/V rack. I mean, it looks sort of svelt in photos, but in person, it's ginormous.

The 360 is tiny. It is dwarfed by most of my A/V components.
post #308 of 32083
If you look at it that way lol
post #309 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

We know the xbox360 has a brick for its external power supply, not sure what the final design is on the PS3 in that regards. Original some Sony exec said internal was better, which IMO is false, but later reports came that it may be external.

Ehmm only on the internet could the reports "come out" that it was external.

Two PS3 demo units at E3 had internal PSU and the misread interview actually said that the PS3 would feature a internal PSU but it was so advanced they should sell it on the side (bad joke from Ken, i bet it was another screwed attempt at translating Japaneese).

That nice pic omits the 360 Power supply:

post #310 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

Ehmm only on the internet could the reports "come out" that it was external.

Two PS3 demo units at E3 had internal PSU and the misread interview actually said that the PS3 would feature a internal PSU but it was so advanced they should sell it on the side (bad joke from Ken, i bet it was another screwed attempt at translating Japaneese).

if you do a google search there are plenty of articles that show that Ken K. hinted at a external power supply. If that was a bad translation I really don't know.
post #311 of 32083
I searched this thread, but didn't find an answer.
Anyone knows what kind of DVD upconverting to expect out of the PS3?
I'm weighing whether to get an upconverting DVD player now or wait out until the PS3...
post #312 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed.Knot View Post

I searched this thread, but didn't find an answer.
Anyone knows what kind of DVD upconverting to expect out of the PS3?
I'm weighing whether to get an upconverting DVD player now or wait out until the PS3...

I don't think anything has been announced yet on the specific details other than it will upconvert to 1080p or 1080i/720p if desired.
post #313 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

I don't think anything has been announced yet on the specific details other than it will upconvert to 1080p or 1080i/720p if desired.


Ok. Many thanks!
post #314 of 32083
$599 for the Bad Guy model of the PS3
$200 for the much needed extended service plan
$100 for a game and a BD movie
$50 for taxes

Im leaving Best Buy less a thousand dollars....OMG!!!

With all that said....I cant fricken wait.
post #315 of 32083
Service plans are a rip off, especially on a relatively mid-range CE item like the PS3. You realize that that's where Best Buy and all the other retailers make most of their money? HDTV? Appliance? Yes. Videogame service plan? No. Certainly not $200.
post #316 of 32083
PS3 in production since start of July:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...718235111.html
post #317 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

PS3 in production since start of July:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...718235111.html


good to hear.

As for the Service plan I paid $50 for a two year (one time replacement) from Fry's for my $399 xbox360. If best buy's is $200 that is insane.
post #318 of 32083
Hey, I was just thinking we should do a Power-Buy on the PS3. I know there are plenty of people here (and in the game forum) who are going to want the $600 version.
post #319 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Hey, I was just thinking we should do a Power-Buy on the PS3. I know there are plenty of people here (and in the game forum) who are going to want the $600 version.

I'd be happy if the power buy just guaranteed that I god one at launch.

So does that mean you decided on getting one then?
post #320 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

PS3 in production since start of July:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...718235111.html

According to the article the Japanese are still getting it first (though by only 6 days). I recall that it was announced that it would be a simultaneous release across all geos
post #321 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

I'd be happy if the power buy just guaranteed that I god one at launch.

So does that mean you decided on getting one then?

Yes, I am definitely getting the $600 model, and I know quite a few others in this and the Playstation Forum have already mentioned the same.

And yes, the Japan release was always planned to be a week earlier than other regions.
post #322 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yes, I am definitely getting the $600 model, and I know quite a few others in this and the Playstation Forum have already mentioned the same.

And yes, the Japan release was always planned to be a week earlier than other regions.

ok, cool. $600 for me as well.
post #323 of 32083
I will probably grab one as well, just to hold me over until there is a decent BD player out there that I want to buy. There's no launch games that I want to play (maybe getting too old for games), but I have a good collection of favorite PS2 games and my original PS2 is getting old with dents and scratch marks. If the PS3 will upconvert the games to HD through HDMI then I'm in. And if things don't work out, I can always ebay it and make some profits
post #324 of 32083
No, it will not "upconvert" old games. They never said it would.
post #325 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No, it will not "upconvert" old games. They never said it would.

actually they said it would around the same time msoft said the 360 would.
post #326 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yes, I am definitely getting the $600 model, and I know quite a few others in this and the Playstation Forum have already mentioned the same.

And yes, the Japan release was always planned to be a week earlier than other regions.

60gb for me too, actually - in europe only the 60gb is released
post #327 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

actually they said it would around the same time msoft said the 360 would.

I know we're getting a little OT here, but show me. The only thing I've read about is backwards compatibilty with most of PS1/2 library, nothing about upconverting or improving upon them.
post #328 of 32083
I wonder if the PS3 will have the same 75% return rate as the Samsung.
post #329 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I know we're getting a little OT here, but show me. The only thing I've read about is backwards compatibilty with most of PS1/2 library, nothing about upconverting or improving upon them.

Not the strongest of confirmations but there are a few links:

It was stated on the OPM. Discussion found on NeoGaf

Also leaked Sony document here.

Quote:


I wonder if the PS3 will have the same 75% return rate as the Samsung.

Source?
post #330 of 32083
I've seen some of those feature lists. I don't neccessarily believe them, because Sony (as well as the other manufacturers) tend to leak misinformation for FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). I seriously doubt production PS3s will upscale any of the older PS1/PS2 games. The only thing the XBOX 360 does is add anti-allaising to a few games like Halo 2, and not even to much effect.

As far as the other stuff, don't feed the Trolls please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread