or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 1069

post #32041 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

really?
This is a PS3 thread bro. But if you must...Sony 790 or Oppo 103.
post #32042 of 32083
Can someone recommend the best place to get a question answered about the audio quality differences between an original FAT PS3 for BD Playback and a properly configured HTPC running something like XBMC? Not sure if its better suited here or an HTPC forum instead but I need people that are knowledgeable on both.
post #32043 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post

Can someone recommend the best place to get a question answered about the audio quality differences between an original FAT PS3 for BD Playback and a properly configured HTPC running something like XBMC? Not sure if its better suited here or an HTPC forum instead but I need people that are knowledgeable on both.

Do you have a specific PC config? HTPC audio can range from meh to amazing depending on what you are using to output and process the audio. Also what types of sources are we talking about? CD audio, movies?
post #32044 of 32083
No specific PC but it is in comparison to the PS3,

I'll just ask it here and if need be repost where ever.

Hi all,

Have been doing this for a long time but am not a complete technical nut about audio quality to the point that I spend thousands of dollars on speakers etc. But I am a computer networking engineer and have a pretty deep understanding of computer side of HTPC play back of HD Video and audio. I consider what I have set up to be pretty good by my ears and while I am getting older I can still generally tell the difference between good audio and lousy compressed audio.

I have had a PS3 since the original came out and I use it as my primary Bluray player. I also take the BluRays that I watch frequently and have turned some of them into MKV's.

I know this lowers the video quality and that is not in question or at all up for debate. My point for bringing it up is that when I convert these to MKV I have tried various things with the audio. But mainly I retain the DTS MA HD or the Dolby True HD etc as the original audio un-altered.

Now we come to the crux of my situation. What other than the DAC inside the PS3 would contribute to it sounding noticeably better and fuller when it is playing the same audio stream as XBMC both through HDMI into the same receiver etc.

Again I fully understand all of the moving parts when dealing with playback and configuration of these formats through a PC and have literally, many years of experience doing this. So this is not a simple configuration issue, in fact I am fairly certain its likely a basic difference it the playback of audio from XBMC as opposed to a dedicated player.

I am simply trying to understand if anything on the PC side can be changed to bring it more in line with the PS3 or understanding what the PS3 is doing that is able to bring out the sound better.

Below are the components involved.

BD Player - Original Fat PS3 using the convert to LPCM setting to get the HD audio to the receiver
Video card - Gigabyte Geforce GTX 560Ti connected to receiver via HDMI
Receiver - Onkyo HT-RC460
XBMC 12.2 Frodo

Update: I have reconfirmed what I already knew, XBMC is sending the DTS MA HD track to the receiver to be decoded, while the PS3 is sending a Multichannel LPCM stream to the receiver. I believe that i can hear more channel separation on the PS3 in addition to better bass and it is definitely louder at the same volume on the receiver. On the receiver when the mkv is playing the DTS MA HD light on the receivers display is lit, so I am fairly certain that it is not playing the core DTS track. When that happens the receiver shows straight DTS.

I also tried the latest version of Jriver and attempted to play the same clip , which is an unaltered mdv generated with makemkv from my copy of John Carpenters The Thing, and it played the same way as XBMC after directing jriver to use HDMI to the receiver.


Thanks

TimT
post #32045 of 32083
Tim,

Dumb question but do you have the latest HDMI audio driver from Nvidia installed for your 560?
post #32046 of 32083
Rob,

Not a dumb question, but I do maintain the driver versions and am running a very recent driver, version R331 dated 11/07/2013.

This problem is really odd because everything works correctly and most people would be fine with the sound as is from XBMC, but when comparing the audio from the same scene between the PC and PS3 the PS3 just sounds "better" for a lack of a more precise term.

I want to say it's plating the DTS Core part of the DTS MA HD track, but the reciever and the computer keep insisting that it is the MA track. Only problem with the PS3 is that it's the original model and therefore does not bitstream correctly which is why I have to use the LPCM method. But that is another thing that backs up that XBMC is sending the MA HD track because when I bitstream from the PS3 it does drop to DTS Core only.

I am going to perform more comparisons but the scene I have been using to test is Chapter 7 of John Carpenters "The Thing". I know the PC has access to the same audio because i did a full transfer of the main movie file by using mkvtoolnix to take the original mt2s file and converted it to mov with the original audio tracks untack. There was no reencoding involved, but there may be something flawed in my process.

All i know is the PS3 sounds better (as subtle as it is) and if there is a way to get the PC to equal that, I am willing to try or get whatever hardware to do so as long as it's not prohibitively expensive.

My problem, is that when it comes to these things once I know the issue is there it will gnaw at me until I have solved it or know that it is not worth fixing. Within the next few months I will be getting an Oppo BDP-103D and that may make things worse or allow me to determine with more detail what I am hearing.
post #32047 of 32083
You need to check out the Oppo and HTPC threads.
post #32048 of 32083
I appreciate you trying to steer me to the correct groups but I still would like to know why the PS3 sounds better if is supposedly only handing off the track that is on the Bluray to the receiver. Since these are lossless tracks it really isn't supposed to be changing them in any real way.

So why is it that the same track being delivered via HDMI from a PC sounds not as good (not bad) as when coming from the PS3?

So my question while it will require someone with knowledge of both, is more a PS3 question.

The Oppo was just mentioned in passing, and i don't have any questions on them.
Edited by ttringle - 11/24/13 at 8:00pm
post #32049 of 32083
^^
You have some variables in your comparison. You say the PCM output of your PS3 is louder than the bitstream decoded by your receiver. Numerous studies support the conclusion that most people equate louder with better. Perhaps that's why you think the PS3 output is better. Also, there might be something different in how your receiver is handling a multichannel PCM input and a bitstream it decodes itself.

Do you observe the same difference when bitstreaming the same tracks from both your PS3 and your HTPC? Also, have you tried comparing the PS3's bitstream and PCM output when playing the same track? Or, have you tried decoding the dts-MA track in your HTPC to see whether it then is the same volume and the same quality as the PS3?
Edited by BIslander - 11/24/13 at 10:56pm
post #32050 of 32083
BIslander,

I thought that volume might be a factor as well, and it is definitely a part of it. However as part of discovering why this was the case I removed the nvidia card from my PC and used the onboard intel HD Graphics 4000. With that I was able to get XBMC to send the HD Audio to the reciever in the same way as the PS3, as a Multi Channel PCM which wouldn't work from the Nvidia card. When doing that from the PC the clip i have been using sounds exactly the same as when XBMC passes it through via bit streaming as the DTS MA HD.

So the receiver is not handling PCM differently as far as I can hear.

Unfortunately I have an original Fat PS3 and they have a flaw that keeps bit streaming from working correctly. When I bitstream a DTS MA HD track only the DTS Core comes over. Pretty certain its a hardware flaw that was only fixed via a new hardware revision.

While Volume level does account for some part, it is definitely not all of it. Unfortunately it is too subtle to really put a finger on it but I will be doing further testing.
Edited by ttringle - 11/25/13 at 9:01am
post #32051 of 32083
I Believe that I have determined what I thought it was I was hearing was no more than the extra 10 DB or so push that the PS3 adds to the BD playback. Apparently it was this little bit of volume that bringing up the detail in everything.

Either that or my hearing is going.

Never thought that just 10DB would make the PS3 sound better but it did.

Thanks to those who helped.

TimT.
post #32052 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post

I Believe that I have determined what I thought it was I was hearing was no more than the extra 10 DB or so push that the PS3 adds to the BD playback. Apparently it was this little bit of volume that bringing up the detail in everything.

Either that or my hearing is going.

Never thought that just 10DB would make the PS3 sound better but it did.

Thanks to those who helped.

TimT.

A 10dB change in level is not "little." It's plenty to mask any subtle differences in other qualities, and most that aren't so subtle. Amplifier power must increase by a factor of 10 to realize a 10dB increase in amplitude, and with some amplifiers such a change can itself affect the quality of the sound, depending on other variables.

Level-matching -- a requirement before meaningful comparisons between two audio paths can be made -- requires as exact at match as possible. Even a difference of 0.5dB can skew a comparison.
post #32053 of 32083
Hi, all. I just purchased a PS3 in a Black Friday deal so I'm new to the platform. This has probably been addressed in one of the 1000+ pages of discussion in this thread, but I have not read them all so please forgive me.

For those of you using your PS3 as your primary BD player, do you leave your TV settings the same for games and movies? I have my TV calibrated just the way I want it for viewing movies, but I'm worried games might not look very good with those settings.
post #32054 of 32083
I use my TV's MOVIE mode for movies, but I use the GAME mode for games (I believe the equivalent would be VIVID or SPORT, depending on your TV's manufacturer).
post #32055 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I use my TV's MOVIE mode for movies, but I use the GAME mode for games (I believe the equivalent would be VIVID or SPORT, depending on your TV's manufacturer).
That seems like it would give the best results for both devices, but unfortunately my current settings for BD aren't one of the presets. I started with a preset, then tweaked a lot of settings manually. So there would be no quick way for me to switch back to them after switching to game mode on my TV.
post #32056 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post

That seems like it would give the best results for both devices, but unfortunately my current settings for BD aren't one of the presets. I started with a preset, then tweaked a lot of settings manually. So there would be no quick way for me to switch back to them after switching to game mode on my TV.

Are you sure your tweaked settings are not now available as a "user" preset?
post #32057 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post

That seems like it would give the best results for both devices, but unfortunately my current settings for BD aren't one of the presets. I started with a preset, then tweaked a lot of settings manually. So there would be no quick way for me to switch back to them after switching to game mode on my TV.

For what it is worth, I have calibrated my plasma to Rec. 709 and D6500 grey scale. I don't change my TV settings for games or movies. They both look fine. If you have calibrated correctly, you shouldn't have to touch your tv.

The only thing a "game" mode usually does on a TV is raise the refresh rate (LCD). From what I have found, most modern mid to high end TVs are more than capable of handling game refresh rates without tearing or ghosting on any mode. Especially the PS3 where most games top out at only 30fps.

On a side note, if you are using the term "calibrate" to mean that you adjusted some of the settings to the way you like them, you may be talking about something else. Usually a calibration is to get the television to output light and color at a predefined standard, hence calibrating to make the set "accurate."

If you just want to tweak your set to appear brighter during gameplay, just adjust the brightness/contrast to your liking. Otherwise, a proper calibration with a meter and the right software will get you great results regardless of if you are gaming or watching a movie.

Now...plugging a PC into your TV so that you can use it as a monitor is a different story! Then you are talking a different type of calibration.
Edited by Rob67 - 12/8/13 at 2:36pm
post #32058 of 32083
Has anyone else had issues playing WAV files from a USB thumb drive on a PS3 (fat)?

I recently tried about 4 Gigs of WAV files ripped from CDs. The PS3 (fat) recognized the thumb drive but displayed something like "no media" and wouldn't play the files. I have the latest firmware installed.

Thanks,
JD
post #32059 of 32083
Are the actual files showing up in the menu? If the console sees the files but cannot play them it would report them as "Corrupted" or "Unsupported". The PS3 will normally only report "No media" when you try to access your files under the wrong heading, such as looking for music files under the Photos heading.
post #32060 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Are the actual files showing up in the menu? If the console sees the files but cannot play them it would report them as "Corrupted" or "Unsupported". The PS3 will normally only report "No media" when you try to access your files under the wrong heading, such as looking for music files under the Photos heading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Are the actual files showing up in the menu? If the console sees the files but cannot play them it would report them as "Corrupted" or "Unsupported". The PS3 will normally only report "No media" when you try to access your files under the wrong heading, such as looking for music files under the Photos heading.

Thanks for replying. I forgot the "trick" of hitting the OPTIONS (green triangle) button rather than directly selecting the drive name. This then allows you to either display all the files on the thumb drive or show information about the drive. I remembered having to use the OPTIONS trick to view JPGs on the PS3 before.

When I went through OPTIONS, the PS3 did play the WAVs. However, it wouldn't recognize or play FLACs. It would display "There Are No Tracks" even if using the OPTIONS method.

Can the PS3 play FLACs?

What a great industry! The PS3 will play WAVs that won't play on an Oppo 105, and the Oppo 105 will play FLACS that won't work on a PS3. Can I please get the last 8 hours of my life back that I spent figuring out this BS?!?!?!

Cheers,
JD
post #32061 of 32083
I recently purchased a Panasonic VT60 plasma TV. What setting should I use for BD 1080p 24Hz Output - On, Off, or Auto?
post #32062 of 32083
i have a very bad toothache tonight but its christmas eve so i refuse to bother my dentist.
post #32063 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic VT60 plasma TV. What setting should I use for BD 1080p 24Hz Output - On, Off, or Auto?

On or Auto.
post #32064 of 32083
Hi folks. I apologize as I realize it's possible that the answer to my question is contained in here somewhere but I'm having trouble finding teh right key words to narrow my search to find it. My PS3 slim plays blu rays flawlessly but all of a sudden on games the audio play back cuts in and out (out more than in) as well as the video (video works more than not). I'm connected straight to the tv via an HDMI switch, which again passes the BD signal just fine. Since incurring the problem I have updated my firmware (first ever) but no joy. Any ideas? Or can someone point me to where a solution might be located within the thread?

Thanks in advance.
post #32065 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Hi folks. I apologize as I realize it's possible that the answer to my question is contained in here somewhere but I'm having trouble finding teh right key words to narrow my search to find it. My PS3 slim plays blu rays flawlessly but all of a sudden on games the audio play back cuts in and out (out more than in) as well as the video (video works more than not). I'm connected straight to the tv via an HDMI switch, which again passes the BD signal just fine. Since incurring the problem I have updated my firmware (first ever) but no joy. Any ideas? Or can someone point me to where a solution might be located within the thread?

Thanks in advance.
Most likely the switch. Connect directly to the TV to confirm.
post #32066 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Most likely the switch. Connect directly to the TV to confirm.

I've thought about that but figured no since the blu rays play fine. I'll give it a try if nothing else but to eliminate that possible cause as well.
post #32067 of 32083
I hope someone can help me. I've posted on other forums here and not getting anywhere.

I am on my 2nd PS3 slim in 3 weeks and each have the same issue. Blu-Ray dialogue is incredibly soft. I am connected via HDMI to my tv's 2 speakers. I did 'automatic setup' via HDMI and the setup detected two possible output settings: 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 2-channel Linear PCM 48.

HOWEVER, when playing Blu-Rays, I push SELECT on the PS3 controller and it says it's playing 5.1 sound. This despite the fact that only 2-channel is selected in the PS3 settings.

What gives?? Why is it outputting 5.1 when that's not even selected in the audio settings? Hearing Blu-Ray dialogue is pretty much impossible.
post #32068 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

I hope someone can help me. I've posted on other forums here and not getting anywhere.

I am on my 2nd PS3 slim in 3 weeks and each have the same issue. Blu-Ray dialogue is incredibly soft. I am connected via HDMI to my tv's 2 speakers. I did 'automatic setup' via HDMI and the setup detected two possible output settings: 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 2-channel Linear PCM 48.

HOWEVER, when playing Blu-Rays, I push SELECT on the PS3 controller and it says it's playing 5.1 sound. This despite the fact that only 2-channel is selected in the PS3 settings.

What gives?? Why is it outputting 5.1 when that's not even selected in the audio settings? Hearing Blu-Ray dialogue is pretty much impossible.

The info displayed on the screen identifies the signal info...the audio encoded on the Blu-Ray disc, not the audio being sent to your display by the game console. I would suggest that you go into your TV's AUDIO SETTINGS menu and make any available adjustments there to alleviate the problem. Many TVs have a setting for enhancing dialog.
post #32069 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

The info displayed on the screen identifies the signal info...the audio encoded on the Blu-Ray disc, not the audio being sent to your display by the game console. I would suggest that you go into your TV's AUDIO SETTINGS menu and make any available adjustments there to alleviate the problem. Many TVs have a setting for enhancing dialog.

Ohhh, I thought the info on the PS3 screen when pushing SELECT displayed what the PS3 is outputting?? Clearly, it's trying to send 5.1 to my tv, although only 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 48 are selected in Sound Setup. Dialogue is impossibly low (almost silent), even when turning volume very high. Have tested on different HDMI input, different HDMI cable, different tv....same issue.

I have always thought that selecting 2-channel for the PS3 would make the dialogue understandable on a tv speaker setup. Surely Sony realizes not everyone will have a surround setup?? In fact, whether I go into AUTOMATIC via HDMI in Sound Settings or MANUAL, the 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 48 are greyed and selected....I can't even DE-SELECT them.
post #32070 of 32083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

Ohhh, I thought the info on the PS3 screen when pushing SELECT displayed what the PS3 is outputting?? Clearly, it's trying to send 5.1 to my tv, although only 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 48 are selected in Sound Setup. Dialogue is impossibly low (almost silent), even when turning volume very high. Have tested on different HDMI input, different HDMI cable, different tv....same issue.

I have always thought that selecting 2-channel for the PS3 would make the dialogue understandable on a tv speaker setup. Surely Sony realizes not everyone will have a surround setup?? In fact, whether I go into AUTOMATIC via HDMI in Sound Settings or MANUAL, the 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 48 are greyed and selected....I can't even DE-SELECT them.

This problem is not uncommon, and the only workaround I know of is to use your TV's onboard dialog level controls (if the TV has that capability). Have you tried playing with the audio settings while you're playing back a Blu-Ray disc? Not the main settings, but the settings that you can access by pressing the triangle button on the controller...there may be something you can change there to help make the dialog louder.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread