or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread - Page 94

post #2791 of 3040
hello all,

is there a "who staying who leaving" netflix thread?
post #2792 of 3040
Is there an application or software that finds movies and indicates who is carrying that particular title and for what price? For instance say my wife wanted to watch "Cedar Rapids", I would like to search for the title and have it come up and say it was available on HuluPlus, Amazon Video, Vudu, CinemaNow (Blockbuster), Zediva, Comcast on Demand etc. along with the price. I could then decide where to rent it from based on whether it was in SD, HD, HDX or on credit levels, etc. I don't want to lock into a monthly service fee (we did this years ago with Blockbuster and our viewing habits are erratic enough that it wasn't a good value) but I do want to minimize my costs on a pay per view basis. You could even through in Redbox and Blockbuster express as I have kiosks within 2 miles. Now that would be a useful bit of coding no?
post #2793 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

is there a "who staying who leaving" netflix thread?

In the Video Download Services forum there's a thread about Netflix's price increase that is about the closest we have. Lots of posts about both sides (and additional discussion.)
post #2794 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post

Is there an application or software that finds movies and indicates who is carrying that particular title and for what price?

Now that would be a useful bit of coding no?

It would be useful, but I don't think it exists. At least a quick search doesn't show anything.

I'm pretty sure Netflix only wants you to search their offerings (why would they want to be part of something that potentially leads customers to their competitors?), and same with VUDU, Hulu, and the others, so I wouldn't count on them helping out. Plus, they have different pricing structures. Netflix is subscription based, Hulu is free, but Hulu Plus is subscription, Amazon is free to Prime members and a la carte to everyone else, Vudu and iTunes are a la carte, etc.

So anything would have to be coded by an unaffiliated third party that would basically access all of their search functions simultaneously. I have no idea if that sort of thing is even possible (any computer guys know?)
post #2795 of 3040
BTW, anyone notice the new Redbox interface at their kiosks? Thoughts?
post #2796 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

So anything would have to be coded by an unaffiliated third party that would basically access all of their search functions simultaneously. I have no idea if that sort of thing is even possible (any computer guys know?)

I believe it's possible assuming that the services have an API that can be accessed. I know Netflix does since that's how instantwatcher and feedfliks and others are able to access the content. I believe many do since Playon apparently ties into Hulu and Hulu+ and Amazon, among others. Not sure about Vudu or redbox since I haven't seen any third party sites using that. Not that I looked.

There are probably other ways as well, but I would think using the APIs would be the easiest.

It would be a handy feature/site just to be able to type in a title and see where its available at. Maybe I'll look into it. PATENT PENDING!!!!!!
post #2797 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

is there a "who staying who leaving" netflix thread?

i'm not sure why this is important to you.
post #2798 of 3040
how did I not read about this in June?

http://www.inquisitr.com/112284/netf...rom-six-to-50/

awesome
post #2799 of 3040
Hi folks,

I've noticed some discs (DVDs, actually) have gone from available to "saved / unknown availability" lately, including some that I used to periodically rent.

I can't imagine that EVERY Netflix copy in the country of these titles has been lost.

What is the policy for moving a title from available to not available? I imagine it will soon start happening to BDs, as the older titles age /scratch/etc. and begin to be removed as defective.

I know that not every NF location stocks every title; I've gotten emails to the effect that the title wasn't available locally but they shipped me one from some other location.

So, I am certain the formula for whether or not I see a title as available ISN'T just whether it's present near me.

Does anybody know what NF's policy is regarding this?

And let's collect some data: here are two titles that have been moved to unavailable for me recently (within the past couple months):

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Bolo (an old kung fu film)

Do any of you see these titles as being available?

Marc
post #2800 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Hi folks,

I've noticed some discs (DVDs, actually) have gone from available to "saved / unknown availability" lately, including some that I used to periodically rent.

I can't imagine that EVERY Netflix copy in the country of these titles has been lost.

What is the policy for moving a title from available to not available? I imagine it will soon start happening to BDs, as the older titles age /scratch/etc. and begin to be removed as defective.

I know that not every NF location stocks every title; I've gotten emails to the effect that the title wasn't available locally but they shipped me one from some other location.

So, I am certain the formula for whether or not I see a title as available ISN'T just whether it's present near me.

Does anybody know what NF's policy is regarding this?

And let's collect some data: here are two titles that have been moved to unavailable for me recently (within the past couple months):

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Bolo (an old kung fu film)

Do any of you see these titles as being available?

Marc

Could it be that these titles are now out of print?
post #2801 of 3040
I noticed that with "Shane"
post #2802 of 3040
Doesn't look good for Netflix streaming

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...89744220110901
post #2803 of 3040
Netflix admits it will end up with fewer subscribers than predicted, shrinks DVD-only count

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/15/n...edicted-mostl/

post #2804 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianHDaddict View Post
Doesn't look good for Netflix streaming

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...89744220110901
I don't mind. I almost never watch a movie if it says Starz on it.
post #2805 of 3040
Surprised that nobody has posted this yet.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/15/technology/netflix/

Netflix stock plunges as subscribers quit

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Netflix subscribers threatened to flee in droves when the company whacked them with a surprise price hike, which kicked in this month.

Now they're making good on that threat. Netflix on Thursday cut its subscriber forecast for the current quarter, saying it now expects to end the period with 24 million customers -- down from the 25 million the company forecast just a few weeks ago.

That's also down from the 25.6 million global subscribers Netflix had on June 30, the end of its second quarter.

Investors punished the stock, sending Netflix (NFLX) shares down nearly 19% -- even though the company did not change its earnings or sales guidance.

The writing has been on the wall since July, when Netflix angered many subscribers by saying it would begin charging separate prices for its DVDs-by-mail and streaming video plans. That amounted to a big price hike for Netflix customers, as the cheapest-possible bill for customers who want both services jumped from $10 to $16 a month.

Enraged customers flooded Netflix's site with tens of thousands of comments, as well as a barrage of tweets under the hashtag #DearNetflix.

Angry subscribers aren't good for business, of course, but even more concerning are the reasons for the price hike. Netflix is struggling to build and maintain a robust streaming catalog, but that's getting tougher as studios demand more money and threaten to take their content to Netflix's growing list of rivals.

As a result, customers have been complaining about a smaller selection -- and asking why they're paying more for less. Earlier this month, cable network Starz ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix and will pull its movies and TV shows from Netflix early next year. It highlights the sometimes contentious relationship that Netflix has with content owners such as Sony (SNE), Walt Disney (DIS, Fortune 500) and Time Warner (TWX, Fortune 500), the parent company of CNNMoney.

Now that streaming video is so popular, providers are upping the price for the content they're licensing to Netflix. One analyst predicts that Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

"There may be a renewed sense of urgency for Netflix to go out to acquire film and TV content to replace Starz," says Anthony DiClemente, Internet and media analyst at Barclays Capital, which owns Netflix stock.

"To keep subscribers, or lure them back, you need offer them value at a good price," DiClemente adds.

Netflix's competitors have become a bargaining chip for studios: If Netflix won't pay studios what they think their content is worth, they'll simply take their business elsewhere.

Beyond direct rivals like Hulu and kiosk service Redbox (owned by Coinstar (CSTR)), big tech players like Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) are jumping into the streaming game. Cable providers including DISH Network (DISH, Fortune 500) are also ramping up streaming, on-demand options.

Despite its growing list of problems, Netflix has been one of the hottest-performing tech stocks of the past few years. Shares are up a staggering 460% since 2008.

DiClemente, the Barclays analyst, is still bullish on Netflix shares. He now predicts that the U.S. subscriber base will recover to 28.8 million by the end of the year -- though that's lower than the 30 million he had projected.

Netflix had been adding subscribers "radically," he says, noting that in recent quarters the company's revenue has been up about 40% to 50% year-over-year -- which gives it a fatter wallet for snapping up new content.
post #2806 of 3040
they also still expect to be growing subscribers again in 4Q. They expect growth to surpass what subscribers losses they incur in 3Q.

They have been saying for a while that their stock was way over valued.
post #2807 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

they also still expect to be growing subscribers again in 4Q. They expect growth to surpass what subscribers losses they incur in 3Q.

They have been saying for a while that their stock was way over valued.

Exactly. This was a correction.

It was also noted that despite this big drop (19%) in stock value which was based on Netflix' own forecast regarding loss of subscribers, they did *not* drop their earnings/sales estimate.

I still can't believe that there isn't a company in existence that can provide a viable alternative to Netflix. It sure seems that there is room in the market.
post #2808 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

they also still expect to be growing subscribers again in 4Q. They expect growth to surpass what subscribers losses they incur in 3Q.

They have been saying for a while that their stock was way over valued.

Yeah. NF is good at predictions. They were only off by a million.
IMO, there are fundamental issues with what NF is doing that is going to put a big chill on their stock price, their subscriber base and their cash flow.

What this article doesn't mention is that a lot of NF subscribers put their membership on hold, essentially they're still a subscriber but not paying.
When the choice comes to reactivate or cancel we'll see how many reactivate.

When people were raving around here about how awesome and cheap streaming was, I posted that at some point people were gonna have to pay for the streaming.
Look at what a measly $8 did.
Imagine what's going to happen when the real price of streaming starts to take effect.
post #2809 of 3040
Netflix still has the largest % of the online streaming market by a huge margin. It will be interesting to see if that number drops with the current price increases. Their only streaming package stayed the same though as they are trying to push everyone to just streaming and hopefully get away with physical media.

60% Netflix
1.5% hulu plus
10% torrents

And few others like vudu and amazon make up the rest but I can't remember the exact numbers. 60% is nothing to laugh at and I was really blown away that 10% is torrents being downloaded illegally. After having hulu plus for 6 months I'm not surprised they are coming in dead last.

My source is the HTGuys HDTV podcast from September 2, 2011 #494 "reflections, streaming movies and IFA"
post #2810 of 3040
The overreaction to the Netflix price change reminds me of everytime Facebook changes its UI. People moan and complain, and yet stay. I am disappointed that the price went up, however I am getting more than the $16/mo pricetag worth of value from the service. People are just upset they were getting a good value for so long from Netflix, and now that "discount" is gone.

Just like Facebook, there is no viable alternative to Netflix.
post #2811 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The overreaction to the Netflix price change reminds me of everytime Facebook changes its UI. People moan and complain, and yet stay. I am disappointed that the price went up, however I am getting more than the $16/mo pricetag worth of value from the service. People are just upset they were getting a good value for so long from Netflix, and now that "discount" is gone.

Just like Facebook, there is no viable alternative to Netflix.

I find the current pricing to not be anywhere near as good of a value as it once was. That's something that justifies being upset about. Not to mention the fact that there really is no reason for the prices to keep going up, especially after they already tacked on a price increase for renting BD.

Not sure what you mean about people moaning, but still staying. Did you miss the part about them expecting to lose 1 million subscribers vs their prior forecast?
post #2812 of 3040
^^ agree 100% Rob....I love it how they were expecting millions to leave, but they will come out ahead due to price increase. Fine, its business, but BS as there is bad and good business and ethics involved regardless.

I wonder how the postal service decision will impact getting discs since the postal service is no longer going to provide next day mail...back to two to three days if one mails it before it gets to its destination. One would think it would hurt them even more??

I only get BD's from Netflix and rarely watch streaming I am paying for..
post #2813 of 3040
Have you guys been experiencing an influx of damaged bluray disc? This past month has been terrible. I received 6 disc in the mail, 4 out of 6 damaged. 3 of those were replacements from two days prior. I think my mail carrier has gone postal on netflix!
post #2814 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

^^ agree 100% Rob....I love it how they were expecting millions to leave, but they will come out ahead due to price increase. Fine, its business, but BS as there is bad and good business and ethics involved regardless.

I wonder how the postal service decision will impact getting discs since the postal service is no longer going to provide next day mail...back to two to three days if one mails it before it gets to its destination. One would think it would hurt them even more??

I only get BD's from Netflix and rarely watch streaming I am paying for..

Me too Hugh! I don't use the streaming at all...but if I want 3 discs out at a time...I basically *have* to pay for the streaming. It's BS.
post #2815 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Me too Hugh! I don't use the streaming at all...but if I want 3 discs out at a time...I basically *have* to pay for the streaming. It's BS.

What's most interesting to me about the whole situation is how absolutely no media coverage of the price changes seems to recognize that streaming was essentially "free" for everyone except for the people who payed for the low-end streaming-only plan previously. Many people out there complain about the "DVD Overhead", but that's the friggin' business model that carried us to this point with streaming as the dragging anchor that added unnecessary charges to subsidize the business as a whole as streaming slowly became viable as a product in and of itself.

The main thing I like about the new pricing plan is the separation of the disc and streaming, with streaming actually being charged for, to make everything clear on the bottom-line. The revenue model of disc is pretty well established and field tested, but the real cost of streaming is still up in the air. I can only hope that the already self-justified and profitable disc rental system doesn't get axed or thrown under the bus in the name of irrational exuberance. It might be better for us disc lovers if the disc business was split off into a separate self-contained entity.
post #2816 of 3040
^ Good post!
post #2817 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Me too Hugh! I don't use the streaming at all...but if I want 3 discs out at a time...I basically *have* to pay for the streaming. It's BS.

Um, no you don't.
post #2818 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Me too Hugh! I don't use the streaming at all...but if I want 3 discs out at a time...I basically *have* to pay for the streaming. It's BS.

Not any longer. Check out the new available options at Netflix.
post #2819 of 3040
(Some of) You guys are insane. I posted this at AVS' facebook, but it bears repeating:

I think this whole "debacle" is sensationalism and studio greed at it's finest. Netflix easily offers the best value around, even with it's new pricing. Sorry, fickle and short-sighted consumers, that Netflix was only able to fend off the abhorrent studios and their antiquated licensing demands for a couple years so you could enjoy your amazing service at an incredible price. And sorry, asinine consumers, that you now have to pay a couple bucks more to continue to take advantage of what is without a doubt the best service available. How horrible life is. #firstworldproblems
post #2820 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

(Some of) You guys are insane. I posted this at AVS' facebook, but it bears repeating:

I think this whole "debacle" is sensationalism and studio greed at it's finest. Netflix easily offers the best value around, even with it's new pricing. Sorry, fickle and short-sighted consumers, that Netflix was only able to fend off the abhorrent studios and their antiquated licensing demands for a couple years so you could enjoy your amazing service at an incredible price. And sorry, asinine consumers, that you now have to pay a couple bucks more to continue to take advantage of what is without a doubt the best service available. How horrible life is. #firstworldproblems

could not agree more .. the self righteous chest thumping complainers would not know a good deal if it bit them on the ....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Netflix, Blockbuster (and others) Online/Kiosk Discussion Thread