or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 2  

post #31 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocheez75 View Post

I've heard everyone say, that if you want to be safe then buy from costco. What exaclty is their retrun policy on plasmas. Are they guaranteed for life?

I don't know exactly but the Toshiba 50HP95 is [EDIT]... on the website.

EDIT>>

mod note: no discussion of discounts or "great" prices. Thanks
post #32 of 3647
yeah, i was just looking at that. [EDIT]... a 50 inch toshiba isnt that bad at all

EDIT>>

mod note: no price talk. Thanks
post #33 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocheez75 View Post

I've heard everyone say, that if you want to be safe then buy from costco. What exaclty is their retrun policy on plasmas. Are they guaranteed for life?

Yes and no. Yes, unless they change their return policy, then it may be no.

Costco will accept returns on just about anything after any period of time, except for certain computer products (details outlined clearly at every Costco store). For now, plasma tvs are still not on that exclusion list. But, there's no guarantee that it won't be added later, and when they do, it's up to Costco to decide whether existing owners will be grandfathered or not.

Costco's customer satisfaction guarantee is truly excellent. Given it's a membership only store, I'd think they can easily refuse to renew the membership of individuals who abused that policy.
post #34 of 3647
Threads merged
post #35 of 3647
Thanks Meltz, but I'm looking specifically for an LCD since I play a lot of Xbox and dont want to even think about burning-in a plasma. That's why I figured I'd go with the 45" Sharp instead of a 50" Vizio or Panny.

Was the difference in PQ really that noticeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltz View Post

I've only seen the Sharp 45" in Costco, and frankly, I thought the 50" Vizio next to it looked more vibrant. The Sharp is just too much money at this point, in my opinion, and this is coming from a Sharp 32" owner.

SB - there's no way to check Costco's B&M inventory online. But if you get the Costco item number online, you can call or visit your local Costco and have them search the area for that particular product. That's how I discovered the 45" Sharp wasnt available in my area (since I'm also looking to save on the delivery fee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbliftmachine View Post

Hi, is there a way to check for a Costco's warehouse inventory of LCD TV's online? I know that every costco warehouse differ in inventory. I wanted to see if there are any SoCal costco's that carry the Samsung 40 inch LCD. Costco.com has it online but there's a $200 delivery charge.
post #36 of 3647
[quote=antidentite]Thanks Meltz, but I'm looking specifically for an LCD since I play a lot of Xbox and dont want to even think about burning-in a plasma. That's why I figured I'd go with the 45" Sharp instead of a 50" Vizio or Panny.

Was the difference in PQ really that noticeable?


The PQ of the Sharp is good, but in my opinion, the picture was not as vivid or ahem sharp as those of the pio and vizio plasmas. I understand your concern about gaming on a plasma, but it seems to be that the large price difference warrants being careful with the plasma regarding burn-in issues.

But really, you need to find a way to see it yourself.
post #37 of 3647
Great point, Meltz. I'm trying to find a place that carries the 45" Sharp along with the Pioneer and Panny and it's proving to be more difficult than I thought -especially for southern CA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltz View Post

The PQ of the Sharp is good, but in my opinion, the picture was not as vivid or ahem sharp as those of the pio and vizio plasmas. I understand your concern about gaming on a plasma, but it seems to be that the large price difference warrants being careful with the plasma regarding burn-in issues.

But really, you need to find a way to see it yourself.
post #38 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfan View Post

Costco's customer satisfaction guarantee is truly excellent. Given it's a membership only store, I'd think they can easily refuse to renew the membership of individuals who abused that policy.

I really wanted to buy from Costco for that reason alone. The main reason I went with best buy was the 24 months same as cash. I figure at with this deal I'll just pay a couple hundred a month on the TV and have it paid for long before any interest charges.

On the other hand If I purchased it on my card from Costco I'd be paying more than an extended warranties worth of interest by the time it is all said and done.

It's just too bad Costco doesnt offer special financing rates on large purchases.
post #39 of 3647
I hope I can ask this question. Are Costco's prices cheaper in store than they are on the net? Thanks
post #40 of 3647
Can anyone please tell me if Best Buy will do a price match for same exact model Plasma selling at Costco for $500 Less.
post #41 of 3647
Anyone seen the new Philips 50" on the floor yet? I just checked my local store and they've got the boxes out on palettes but nothing on display. Something about waiting until the sale next week before putting out a display model... A sign was hanging above with the regular price but there was a "KEEP OFF FLOOR!" note attached. Weird policy, but I can wait.

matt
post #42 of 3647
and online price == in-warehouse price, in my experience. I saw a price drop online and it was dropped to match in the warehouse that same day.

matt
post #43 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubsack View Post

Can anyone please tell me if Best Buy will do a price match for same exact model Plasma selling at Costco for $500 Less.

Yes my Best buy was willing to do the online pricematch with Costco. Plus free shipping and a rewards card ($100 value)

I ended up going with a 42" at the last minute and they gave me a similar deal on that with delivery and the rewards card ($75 value)

You just have to go in there informed and willing to barter.
post #44 of 3647
Costco.com just added a bunch of new TV's today. Philips plasmas, toshiba, JVC 1080p RPTV. Their selection is getting pretty good.

Too bad I am still unsure which model to get...
post #45 of 3647
double post, sorry. I didn't notice this thread until after I started my other one.

Ok, so after 3 years of setbacks (possibly more), I once again have my plasma fund ready to go. My intention is before any more mishaps suck the fund dry to get this purchase knocked out within the next few weeks. Based on budget factors and everything else, I'm pretty set on a 42 ED Panny model. The goal is to keep the purchase below 2k which knocks HD out pretty much everywhere I've seen so far.

With than in mind, can any Costco members around the Boston area let me know if they've seen any 42 Panasonics in store? They have none listed on the site, but I've seen them in there in the past. My membership to BJs just expired, so I'm debating on switching. If I can find a 42 Panasonic (ED or HD if the price is very good) at Costco, I'll switch and make the purchase there. If not, I'm leaning towards Visual Apex.

Truth told, I'd prefer the commercial model anyway, but would love the ease of dealing with Costco should anything be wrong with the display.


Mark, feel free to axe the other thread at your leisure.
post #46 of 3647
Recently I heard that CC will do dish installs even if the equipment is purchased elsewhere. I called their In-Home Service #888 333 2333 to inquire about installation only for the DTV AT-9 dish & H20 receiver and was told the cost is $300.

Anyone had this dish installed by them & how did it go?
post #47 of 3647
I spoke to one of the Costco electronics guy, over the phone, an hour ago. He too told me that he's got the Philips 50 plasma TVs in the back room but will not display it until next Monday when it goes on sale.

I guess this is how Costco works with a new item that comes in synch with a sales promotion of the same item. No display until set date.

My question is this: I understand that this Philips 7220 has a built-in HD OTA tuner. Will I need a special antenna to receive HD programming OTA? or could I just use my indoor rabbit ear type antenna that I've been using to receive regular TV signal. I have no problems receiving SDTV signals with these indoors rabbit ears type antenna since I live in Los Angeles area.

And if a special indoor antenna is needed, as my brother-in-law is doing. Why is this necessary? Is it the band widths, the different frequencies?? Or is it just hype and more monies for local electronics stores when buy these new indoor antennas?

Thanks.
post #48 of 3647
When is the sale for the Philips start at Costco?

Anyone know the box dim for the 42" Pioneer at Costco? PDP-4214 I think.
post #49 of 3647
I can't imagine financing a tv, no matter how cool the tv is!
post #50 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

I asked this question twice in the other Costco thread and never got a response, so here goes again.

For the record, I would not use Costco's return policy for a "rental" or abuse the policy. I would, however, use it if my TV failed within a few years. A $4k set should not die that quickly, and of course I would not be satisfied with my purchase. I would essentially buy a TV from Costco and pay my yearly membership instead of buying a set and extended warranty from some other store such as Best Buy.

What I'm wondering about is this: can Costco change their return policy after you have already made the purchase and have the new policy affect your existing purchase? For example, you buy a set and 8 months later they change the return policy to mirror their policy on computers. (6 month return policy, if I recall) Since you purchased your set 8 months earlier, you can no longer return your set and are left without the old Costco guarantee acting as your extended warranty.

Anyone?

You purchased your TV under and during the then policy and that policy should remain in effect as long as you own the Tv and are a member.

costco's return policy on TVs is not in jeopardy. Most of what they sell is good and they know which brands may be more inclined to have issues. They also can tell who may be abusing their policies. PCs are a whole other issue. People return PCs when they mess up the software. They had to be getting alot of PCs back in order to change that policy.

I would guess if you brought a TV back after they changed the policy they would honor the policy on the old TV and you would begin anew with the changed policy on the new one if you bought one with your refund.
post #51 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308wl View Post

I spoke to one of the Costco electronics guy, over the phone, an hour ago. He too told me that he's got the Philips 50 plasma TVs in the back room but will not display it until next Monday when it goes on sale.

I guess this is how Costco works with a new item that comes in synch with a sales promotion of the same item. No display until set date.

My question is this: I understand that this Philips 7220 has a built-in HD OTA tuner. Will I need a special antenna to receive HD programming OTA? or could I just use my indoor rabbit ear type antenna that I've been using to receive regular TV signal. I have no problems receiving SDTV signals with these indoors rabbit ears type antenna since I live in Los Angeles area.

And if a special indoor antenna is needed, as my brother-in-law is doing. Why is this necessary? Is it the band widths, the different frequencies?? Or is it just hype and more monies for local electronics stores when buy these new indoor antennas?


Thanks.

You do not need a special antenna. Just a good one. Yes marketing hype is alive and well. If the stations are local enough a wire hanger could work.
post #52 of 3647
First post. I've read this forum for years and have gained a wealth of information from you guys. I'm currently in the market for a 50 inch plasma and will probably wait to make my decision until I can look at the new Panasonics this Spring.

Anyway, I was at Best Buy today looking at the 50 inch Pioneer when a salesman started talking to me. He was pleasant enough and we talked about a few things including wall mounts. He then started going on and on about "clean power" and before I knew what was happening I was over in the "Monster Power aisle" with him. They had two LCD displays set up, one connected to a Monster Power Center and the other one not. Needless to say, the one connected to the "clean power" looked fabulous; the other looked like total crap.

I was skeptical that the power center could make this degree of difference and I asked the sales rep if everything else in the displays was the same. He assured me that they were otherwise identical. I then looked at the back of the displays and saw an HDMI cable coming out the clean power LCD and composite cables coming out of the one that looked bad.

When I pointed this out to the sales rep, he told me that the cables would make a difference in the resolution but that all the "noise" I was seeing was due to "dirty power."

So what did I learn? I'll pass on the $350 power center but when I hook my DVD player up to my new plasma, I'll strongly consider using HDMI or component.
post #53 of 3647
LOL

Talk about false advertisement.
post #54 of 3647
In philosophy they say: "power corrupts".
post #55 of 3647
my 50" panny from costco is scheduled for delivery on this friday. Thats less than 2 weeks from ordering. Not bad if you ask me. And the price was right. A 50 inch panny for sub3k. before shippping and tax( i live around the corner from a costco, but it was an online only deal. I hate paying both shipping and tax)
post #56 of 3647
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

First off, I have to acknowledge this website, its forums, and its members - truly a wealth of knowledge. This site was my primary source of info during my plasma research phase.

Now, onto my post. Today, after much research and deliberation, I purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX50U from Circuit City. While I was signing up for the CC credit card (to get $140 store credit from my purchase), I had a CC salesman approach me, inquiring about my purchase. I told him that I just bought the Panny, and he immediately asked if I included their warranty. I said no, and he reacted in shock. I was told first that plasmas last only a few years at best, and then that, when they break, they're as good as dead - no possibility of repair. He then relayed a sob story about how he had purchased a plasma two years ago, and it recently broke - three one-inch thick black bars appeared vertically on the screen, right in the middle of it. He said something like "the lines of resolution died". He told me he wished he had purchased a warranty, because his TV was now worthless and unrepairable. I asked him if he had received similar complaints from customers in the past, and he affirmed that yes, he had heard from many customers that their flatscreens died within a few years of purchase. He then brought me a Consumer Reports magazine, bookmarked to a page discussing the fact that plasmas are relatively new, and thus their reliability is unknown. The article broke CR tradition and suggested that a warranty be considered. I was then told that, if I changed my mind about the warranty, I could come back in and have the purchase price refunded.

Here I stand. I have combed this website and its forums, looking for anything and everything discussing plasma life-spans, and I remain convinced that they are sufficiently reliable. I plan on getting a refund for this warranty. But, before I do, I wanted to hear the community's take on my experience today. Is there any truth to these horror stories? Is a $500/3-year warranty worth it? Is plasma a technology worth investing $3000 in? I get the sense that this community is comprised of plasma advocates, but I'm hoping to get some hard-truth, honest responses here.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and advise. Your comments are highly valued. I look forward to reading your responses.

-John C.
post #57 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCsoldier View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

First off, I have to acknowledge this website, its forums, and its members - truly a wealth of knowledge. This site was my primary source of info during my plasma research phase.

Now, onto my post. Today, after much research and deliberation, I purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX50U from Circuit City. While I was signing up for the CC credit card (to get $140 store credit from my purchase), I had a CC salesman approach me, inquiring about my purchase. I told him that I just bought the Panny, and he immediately asked if I included their warranty. I said no, and he reacted in shock. I was told first that plasmas last only a few years at best, and then that, when they break, they're as good as dead - no possibility of repair. He then relayed a sob story about how he had purchased a plasma two years ago, and it recently broke - three one-inch thick black bars appeared vertically on the screen, right in the middle of it. He said something like "the lines of resolution died". He told me he wished he had purchased a warranty, because his TV was now worthless and unrepairable. I asked him if he had received similar complaints from customers in the past, and he affirmed that yes, he had heard from many customers that their flatscreens died within a few years of purchase. He then brought me a Consumer Reports magazine, bookmarked to a page discussing the fact that plasmas are relatively new, and thus their reliability is unknown. The article broke CR tradition and suggested that a warranty be considered. I was then told that, if I changed my mind about the warranty, I could come back in and have the purchase price refunded.

Here I stand. I have combed this website and its forums, looking for anything and everything discussing plasma life-spans, and I remain convinced that they are sufficiently reliable. I plan on getting a refund for this warranty. But, before I do, I wanted to hear the community's take on my experience today. Is there any truth to these horror stories? Is a $500/3-year warranty worth it? Is plasma a technology worth investing $3000 in? I get the sense that this community is comprised of plasma advocates, but I'm hoping to get some hard-truth, honest responses here.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and advise. Your comments are highly valued. I look forward to reading your responses.

-John C.

I have 2 Panny plasmas. The first is 3+ years old with no issues ever. The second had one issue at approx 6 mths, fixed immediately under the Panasonic warranty at no cost to me. I am extremely happy with the PQ of both.
post #58 of 3647
Would you feel any better if you had NO protection after three years when you are more likely to really need it? If you cannot trust your TV PAST the 3 year extended warranty period why buy it in the first place.

Get the warranty refunded. Its a waste of money. The likely hood that you will need it is nil ESPECIALLY since you bought what is uniformly considered the BEST Plasma TV you can buy.
post #59 of 3647
First off the picture is incredible!!! I had the Sony 50A10 LCD projection and there is absolutely no comparison. Needless to say I'm very happy with the Panasonic and want to keep it. The problem I'm facing is the Panasonic website and the Costco website made it seem that the plasma and stand were 32" high, perfect for my built in. Well apparently I messed up and with the stand it is 34.5", which would still fit but by a hair. I can't get it in because I have molding in front of the built-in and can't shimmy it in.

Now to my question, does anyone know if there are alternate stands out there that may be shorter? The Panasonic website only has wall mounting brackets which wouldn't work either because the whole is 25+ inches deep to fit my old 36" XBR. If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.
post #60 of 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCsoldier View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

First off, I have to acknowledge this website, its forums, and its members - truly a wealth of knowledge. This site was my primary source of info during my plasma research phase.

Now, onto my post. Today, after much research and deliberation, I purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX50U from Circuit City. While I was signing up for the CC credit card (to get $140 store credit from my purchase), I had a CC salesman approach me, inquiring about my purchase. I told him that I just bought the Panny, and he immediately asked if I included their warranty. I said no, and he reacted in shock. I was told first that plasmas last only a few years at best, and then that, when they break, they're as good as dead - no possibility of repair. He then relayed a sob story about how he had purchased a plasma two years ago, and it recently broke - three one-inch thick black bars appeared vertically on the screen, right in the middle of it. He said something like "the lines of resolution died". He told me he wished he had purchased a warranty, because his TV was now worthless and unrepairable. I asked him if he had received similar complaints from customers in the past, and he affirmed that yes, he had heard from many customers that their flatscreens died within a few years of purchase. He then brought me a Consumer Reports magazine, bookmarked to a page discussing the fact that plasmas are relatively new, and thus their reliability is unknown. The article broke CR tradition and suggested that a warranty be considered. I was then told that, if I changed my mind about the warranty, I could come back in and have the purchase price refunded.

Here I stand. I have combed this website and its forums, looking for anything and everything discussing plasma life-spans, and I remain convinced that they are sufficiently reliable. I plan on getting a refund for this warranty. But, before I do, I wanted to hear the community's take on my experience today. Is there any truth to these horror stories? Is a $500/3-year warranty worth it? Is plasma a technology worth investing $3000 in? I get the sense that this community is comprised of plasma advocates, but I'm hoping to get some hard-truth, honest responses here.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and advise. Your comments are highly valued. I look forward to reading your responses.

-John C.

You should definitely return the warranty.

If it was me, I would find when that salesman was working and when the store mgr was working. I would then go to return the tv that day and get them both together at the same time. I would let the store mgr know why I was returning it and ask him the following: if they are selling products that are so bad that salesman are telling you they are going to fail after a short time, then why are they selling them? and more importantly, why would you buy such a low quality product?

After they gave me my refund I would then inform them that I was heading over to Costco to buy the set there---as part of Costco's "service" they offer basically a lifetime warranty against a poor product or defect. Watch their faces and then see the salesman get a spanky from the mgr.

You gotta watch these guys. They are not your friends...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS