or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 163

post #4861 of 4949
Been reading about radio stations tracking down satellite network reception problems that would occur somewhat regularly...problem turned out to be broadband noise coming from a bad high-pressure-sodium street light! With a shorted photocell, so it was trying to reignite 24/7. Might be worth considering.
post #4862 of 4949
Jim called me yesterday and we discussed a few things, I have not had any break ups or other problems on KFXA since then.
post #4863 of 4949
Just idle curiosity...is KGAN replacing TheCoolTV with a different channel, or are they doing away with subchannels entirely? 2.2 has had no content for several days now, and has actually disappeared from one of my TVs as of 9/9.
post #4864 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintonShellsburg View Post

Just idle curiosity...is KGAN replacing TheCoolTV with a different channel, or are they doing away with subchannels entirely? 2.2 has had no content for several days now, and has actually disappeared from one of my TVs as of 9/9.

Don't know yet. CoolTv has been pulled from all Sinclair stations. Hope to know something this week about a replacement.
post #4865 of 4949
I can say for sure that I am getting no more breakups on KFXA since the change, it is rock solid.
post #4866 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

I can say for sure that I am getting no more breakups on KFXA since the change, it is rock solid.

Good news....be there next week if you see anything. Oh, BTW, I am installing some T-1 equipment that will probably disrupt the feed to the transmitter very briefly.
post #4867 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRacer View Post

Good news....be there next week if you see anything. Oh, BTW, I am installing some T-1 equipment that will probably disrupt the feed to the transmitter very briefly.
I'm getting all kinds of breakups on both 28.1 and 828 in Cedar Rapids. I'm assuming that it's an issue with the transmission since it seems to be a problem with both OTQ and digital cable. It's extremely annoying. On Windows Media Center, I can't get 828 to tune in hardly at all.
post #4868 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyman View Post

I'm getting all kinds of breakups on both 28.1 and 828 in Cedar Rapids. I'm assuming that it's an issue with the transmission since it seems to be a problem with both OTQ and digital cable. It's extremely annoying. On Windows Media Center, I can't get 828 to tune in hardly at all.
The problem was from FOX network.
post #4869 of 4949
Just noticed my guide info for 2.2 CoolTV now says SIGN OFF for all time slots. They should at least put up a Chyron saying what the status is.
post #4870 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRacer View Post

The problem was from FOX network.
Is this a temporary issue? Basically unwatchable all weekend.
post #4871 of 4949
Looks like KGAN is in the process of installing a backup generator at their transmitter site.
post #4872 of 4949
I wonder when KWWL will be able to start airing their syndicated programming in HD.
post #4873 of 4949
I quit getting PSIP data from KFXA over the weekend, not sure if anyone else noticed that as well.
post #4874 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

I quit getting PSIP data from KFXA over the weekend, not sure if anyone else noticed that as well.

I just checked it and it's there and I didn't need to reset anything.
Check your system again and let me know.
post #4875 of 4949
I noticed it too on Saturday, my TV started identifying KFXA as channels 27.3 and 27.4, and there was no program guide. At first I thought it was something wrong with my TV, because at the time I had been fooling with my TV to see what ClearQAM channels I could pick up in my new apartment (my bargain-brand AOC TV tends to have odd glitches on occasion when changing certain settings). Signal strength was fine though, so I was still able to watch. It only lasted a couple days, and was fixed by Monday evening.
post #4876 of 4949
Yeah sorry I should have followed up, it was back on by the evening when I made my post, but it was out for the weekend.
post #4877 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintonShellsburg View Post

I noticed it too on Saturday, my TV started identifying KFXA as channels 27.3 and 27.4, and there was no program guide. At first I thought it was something wrong with my TV, because at the time I had been fooling with my TV to see what ClearQAM channels I could pick up in my new apartment (my bargain-brand AOC TV tends to have odd glitches on occasion when changing certain settings). Signal strength was fine though, so I was still able to watch. It only lasted a couple days, and was fixed by Monday evening.

Everyone is correct. They installed a new converter and it's not passing the correct PSIP datra. Now out of circuit until we can correct it. It was not removed immediately because everything came up as normal at the studio.
Thanks for everyone input!
post #4878 of 4949
Did this forum die off or is nothing going on in Cedar Rapids?
post #4879 of 4949
It's very slow as most people who have OTA now have it, and the stations are at full power. No new stations are coming online, either....and everything seems to be working well at the transmitter sites.
post #4880 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

I am over on the far west side of town by Westdale mall, and pointed the antenna directly at your transmitter. It does this on all my TVs, actually. It could be interference on my end, multipath I suppose, but I have zilch problems on VHF channels which usually show multipath over UHF.

It isn't very frequent, maybe one glitch per 10-15 minutes, and they only last about 1 second. The video just freezes, then after about a second it just starts playing again (skipping about a second). The signal indicator on my TV goes to 0 then bounces right back up to the mid 90s as soon as it comes back.

The problem has been occurring for me for about 3 months now, but I really thought it was my antenna so I never looked in to it. But after I moved the antenna to the other side of the roof and bought a HD1080 instead of the UHF only I was using before and noticed the issue persisted I wasn't exactly sure.

I have almost the exact same problem, but even worse, at my house in Shueyville. It happens at varying frequencies, sometimes as often as every two minutes or so. Signal breaks up for 1-4 seconds before coming back. Happens mostly on channel 9, (9-1,9-2, etc.) but sometimes shows up on 28 as well. When I watch the signal meter on my DirecTV receiver it just drops from 85-100% down to zero, and then back up again.

Any I've tried different antennas and locations and it seens to be the same no matter what. Any suggestions as to what can be done about it?

Thanks.
post #4881 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnz34me View Post

I have almost the exact same problem, but even worse, at my house in Shueyville. It happens at varying frequencies, sometimes as often as every two minutes or so. Signal breaks up for 1-4 seconds before coming back. Happens mostly on channel 9, (9-1,9-2, etc.) but sometimes shows up on 28 as well. When I watch the signal meter on my DirecTV receiver it just drops from 85-100% down to zero, and then back up again.

Any I've tried different antennas and locations and it seens to be the same no matter what. Any suggestions as to what can be done about it?

Thanks.
Not sure how far you are from Vinton, but some locations are tough. KFXA is a full power, but the landscape can be tough over miles of flat fields. Call me if youwant to discuss.
314-259-5757
post #4882 of 4949
Regarding the "glitches only once every few minutes" posts above, the fact that you both live relatively near the airport gave me this thought...what if the periodic glitches you're having with reception are due to planes taking off or landing? A low-flying jet passing nearby could certainly cause multipath issues.

golfnz34me, you mentioned living in Shueyville. Looking at Google Earth, one of the runways at the airport lines up exactly with Shueyville, so I imagine there's planes flying overhead your place quite often. As for sgarringer, although the runway doesn't line up with your location, it is far enough away that I could see a plane turning right then flying near or over you during takeoff. I've had small Cessna craft flying near my place briefly mess up OTA reception, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if a 747 does the same thing over a slightly bigger area during ascent or descent.



A brief aside...any word on the fight between KCRG and Dish? I don't have Dish so this dispute doesn't affect me, but I'd still like to know how things stand because I like keeping up-to-date on anything broadcast-related in the area. That, and so I can answer questions of anyone who asks me about it.
post #4883 of 4949
The glitches are far too regular to be planes, and if anything they seem to get more frequent after the evening news. Plus I often have planes flying directly overhead, and I see no correlation to planes I can hear and the glitches.

I have often thought that there may be something else going on at the airport, though. My antenna points only about ~20 degrees or so off of the bearing to the airport. Maybe stray radiation from the radar there?
post #4884 of 4949
At my house, the TV would hiccup for a fraction of a second whenever I flip the light switch on or off or the washing machine changes cycle. I'm guessing these mechanical actions cause a spark and that is what is causing your interference. Check around your house or neighborhood to see if lights are going off and on regularly.
post #4885 of 4949
Has anyone else in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area seen a wierd "time shift" issue for listings vs real time vs broadcasted times for OTA ?

I have a Channel Master Cm7000 OTA DVR that is showing a constant 5-10min off set on start times for things in the "TV Guide" listings:

Example:
32-1 08:00pm - 9:00pm Nature
To get the program to record properly I have to set the times as 08:05pm to 09:05pm.

This is all been an on going problem since the last change of time to the "fall back" DST/CST.

I do not see the same issue with guide selected program selections I have done with DTVPal analog to digital converter boxes I use in other equipment stacks I have. They do the channel changes at the "mostly correct time".

The Channel Master DVR and DTVPal units are all "slaves" to broadcasted time signals, but I am not sure what signal and from what station.

The time the DVR shows as current time is correct, the program starts are the wierd off set - and I have already done tweaking in the DVR's start time settings to try and compensate. The DVR settings allow a sliding time shift of 5Mins - as in start 1-5 min early and end 1-5 min later than the program listing.

Currently I have it set to 1Min Start / 4Min End AND then have to add 5Mins to the start of the manual timer settings to get whole programs I want to record. Total time shift ~10mins

Any insight would be appreciated.

A secondary issue showed up again tonight - It seems to repeat once or twice a week - again, ever since the last time change - The time on the DVR shifts a whole hour - so it's really 7:00pm but the DVR shows it's 08:00pm and all the directory listings also shift and what would have been on at 7pm shows its its on at 8pm - the same 5-10 minute issue I describe above is also still there so things get really wierd for doing timer setups.

The hour shift seems to occur about 6pm every time and then disappears over night (I think around 12am) It seems that it is some wierd feed from the network, but I don't know what channel.

At the same time, the DTVPal units don't have any problems showing, they show the same time as my regular wall clocks (give or take a minute).
==============================
Add-On/Update 01-24-2013
Last night I did a full factory reset and that seems to have resolved the 5-10 min time shift issue, In the setup steps after the device re-booted and came up in "clean slate mode" I put in all the same settings except for zip code - which I saw could be 00000 to force the guide to use a more generic source vs the one that recently was killed off. I got a nice schooling on issues with these Channel Master DVRs and other devices over in the HDTV Recorders section that focuses specifically on CM7000PAL machines...but some of the issues seem to be as much caused by stations as the devices. Hence I posted here instead of there.

The 1Hr time shift issue, popped in right after the factory reset on Wednesday afternoon at ~4pm. Again the time on the clock and in the guide shifted 1Hr, so 4:15 was at 5:15 and stayed that way til after midnight.

This morning (Thursday 24Jan2013 ~09:30am) I was back in looking at things and the time was back to "normal" - matching the wall clock...but only for a short time and then the 1Hr bounce kicked in again then suddenly popped forward 1Hr - I think it was because I was in the program guide and looking at PBS chnl 32, I'd been seeming to see a trend that leaving the device with a tuner pointed at 32 increased the frequency of when I would see the 1Hr shift).

This time I went back into the "Time and Date" set options and set the time - which is supposed to override the incoming times from stations. The times look "OK" now in the guide and as the device clock.
Edited by FeedMeNoSpam - 1/24/13 at 1:30pm
post #4886 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintonShellsburg View Post

A brief aside...any word on the fight between KCRG and Dish? I don't have Dish so this dispute doesn't affect me, but I'd still like to know how things stand because I like keeping up-to-date on anything broadcast-related in the area. That, and so I can answer questions of anyone who asks me about it.

They finally reached an agreement and KCRG returned to DISH yesterday.
post #4887 of 4949
So tired of ferrying artifacts or blocks while watching anything. Lexicon keeps telling me the signal is fine but at least once or twice during any show this happens.

I really wish my condo association allowed satellite.

Maybe it's time to look into cable card operations to cut my bill down too. $130 a month for the digital pack no premium channels, two boxes and 1dvr. Sheesh.

Can't even find current pricing on their website to have an idea of what i can negotiate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #4888 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles3 View Post

So tired of ferrying artifacts or blocks while watching anything. Lexicon keeps telling me the signal is fine but at least once or twice during any show this happens.

I really wish my condo association allowed satellite.

Maybe it's time to look into cable card operations to cut my bill down too. $130 a month for the digital pack no premium channels, two boxes and 1dvr. Sheesh.

Can't even find current pricing on their website to have an idea of what i can negotiate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That should be flickering artifacts and Mediacom

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #4889 of 4949
Well to chime in about KFXA I will state that still to this day I have break up and things watching KFXA. There will be times, months, where it does not break up, but sometimes during a single show it will happen every 10 to 15 seconds all day. What has helped me is pointing my antenna about 90 degrees OFF of the correct direction for KFXA. This has made the break ups a lot less frequent (see previous description) as opposed to when I had the antenna peaked directly at KFXA.

I live in a neighborhood with lots of metal siding, although my antenna is about 25 feet above average terrain, I assume some of the metal siding is reflecting the signal, and moving my antenna to the direction I have it must be nulling out the reflection, or aligning the phases of the two signals to null them out. I don't know for sure, I'm just pulling things out (of thin air, right just like the antenna) but it seems likely to me.
post #4890 of 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

Well to chime in about KFXA I will state that still to this day I have break up and things watching KFXA. There will be times, months, where it does not break up, but sometimes during a single show it will happen every 10 to 15 seconds all day. What has helped me is pointing my antenna about 90 degrees OFF of the correct direction for KFXA. This has made the break ups a lot less frequent (see previous description) as opposed to when I had the antenna peaked directly at KFXA.

I live in a neighborhood with lots of metal siding, although my antenna is about 25 feet above average terrain, I assume some of the metal siding is reflecting the signal, and moving my antenna to the direction I have it must be nulling out the reflection, or aligning the phases of the two signals to null them out. I don't know for sure, I'm just pulling things out (of thin air, right just like the antenna) but it seems likely to me.

I have encountered the same thing...at my house in St. Louis. AT KFXA we increased power last year. Sometimes that makes the signal subject to more multipath.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV