or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach? - Page 47

post #1381 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post

Considering I paid $300 for a pair of TW-3s that had already been recapped, I'd pass. The only reason to get them is if you are nostalgic about DCM speakers, which I am, but there are better used speakers out there for not much more than that.

Thx. Guess I'll patiently wait for a good deal on the ones I really want...TF-600s.
post #1382 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Thx. Guess I'll patiently wait for a good deal on the ones I really want...TF-600s.

I just paid $75 for my second pair, with a KX center channel to boot. Recapping them tomorrow. I love my 600s.

btw, I accidentally ordered 4 too many caps for the TF 600 application, so if anyone needs some I have them. (Erse requires a $20 min purchase.)
post #1383 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin600 View Post

I just paid $75 for my second pair, with a KX center channel to boot. Recapping them tomorrow. I love my 600s.

btw, I accidentally ordered 4 too many caps for the TF 600 application, so if anyone needs some I have them. (Erse requires a $20 min purchase.)

$75?! What condition are they in? Craigslist? I'm very jealous right now. Only pair on my local CL the dude wants $270 for them. And they are 2 hours away. Dang I want me some 600's!

If I ever DO get my hands on a set at a decent price I will attempt to do the recap, but the challenge is kind of freakin me out right now. Should I recap my 400's? They sound fine as they are now.
post #1384 of 1643
There are many deals to be had on CL in the southeast. i cannot speak for other areas. I see many that may not be great deals as well and either call and make an offer or just let them pass. Always make an offer, the worst that can happen is the seller says no. I found my TW 3's for $200. I had to wait a few days for the seller to get anxious but he took my offer. Got my TF1000's for $175 and met another very nice vintage audiophile at the time. Went back later and purchased a pair of QED 1a's from the same guy. He also turned me on the the Polk SDA's but that's another story altogether. Ran into another guy on CL that had some vintage DCM speakers and after talking to him wound up with a pair of CX 27's, 2 pairs and a single CX-17, 4 pairs of CX-07 and a CX center for $200. i ended up selling him some gear later on. But my best deal on DCM's was the deal I got n my TF 600's. they were a little rough; needed new cloth, 2 tweets and had some oxidation on the crossover boards. But he needed them gone so i helped him out and gave him his asking price for them; nothing!

My main point is that if you have a little patience and don't be afraid to call people who place ads just to talk to them and make them an offer you can end up with some very nice gear in your price range or even less. If you are anywhere near upstate SC give me a shout. i am getting to where I need to let some things go. My oldest daughter is getting married next spring and i have that wedding to pay for, plus i would like to generating my own (or at least a big part of my own) power from wind and solar and need to get some funds for that as well.
post #1385 of 1643
Thx for the info Mr. Bubbs! I have contacted the guy selling the 600s but on last contact he was not willing to budge on the price. Says he paid $270 for them and wants to get back what he paid for them. Says they are in great condition and all drivers work perfectly, so it appears no work would need to be done on them. Maybe if they don't sell after a period of time he will come down on the price. I would go as high as $200 for them, after going to check them out and give them a listen. That would be a fair price if they are in the condition he says they are. Will try and wait it out. Eventually if he really wants to sell them he will have to reduce the price...I would think.
post #1386 of 1643
The new TW3s have arrived to join my other pair. Gorgeous condition. My only problems are a). I don't have the banana plugs I thought I had and b). I need more 14AWG CL2 wire to run under the house. Put in the order last night thru Monoprice.

post #1387 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

$75?! What condition are they in? Craigslist? I'm very jealous right now. Only pair on my local CL the dude wants $270 for them. And they are 2 hours away. Dang I want me some 600's!

If I ever DO get my hands on a set at a decent price I will attempt to do the recap, but the challenge is kind of freakin me out right now. Should I recap my 400's? They sound fine as they are now.

CL Grand Rapids, MI. Great shape, all drivers 'sound', no badges, socks have 2-3 small holes. Wood color end caps in perfect shape. The seller wanted to know why his phone was ringing off the hook. I told him I didn't really know as I was loading them into my van.biggrin.gif
Just capped them yesterday with the Pulse X Erse. Extra fat little buggers. Tricky to get them to sit right. Easily accessible solder points. No worries.
And Ill second what Mr. B stated. The demographic that understands the 'classic DCM' sound is rather small. If you contact the seller and be available, sooner or later you'll get what you want. But always be first in line.
post #1388 of 1643
I am working on getting a house in Michigan now and getting settled in. I haven't lived here for 18 years. Any good home theater shoppes and showrooms around that you guys would recommend?
post #1389 of 1643
Where exactly in Michigan? Still have friends there that dabble in A/V.
post #1390 of 1643
AVI Group is near me in Grand Rapids. Guys came from the now-closed Classic Stereo. Among other things, they are a B+W and Audioquest dealer. Great showroom area modeled after the rooms in a house.
post #1391 of 1643
I will be in grand blanc. So anything from Saginaw to Detroit will be very easy to access. I have all the audio components I need, but will buy a projector. I would like to look at a few showrooms so my wife can see a finished theater.
post #1392 of 1643
Making the road trip Friday to pick up some TF600s I won off ebay for local pickup and some CX-27s in the same area. Dude had the 600s on both ebay and craigs. Wanted $300 for them on craigs but his ebay listing started at $200 and I was the only bidder. Maybe a wee bit too much for the 600s but if they are in as good a shape as he says they are then it will be well worth it I believe. Even has the badges still in place. Getting the CX-27s for $100. Wish they were the ones with the 3/4 length grill. There were apparently 2 versions of the CX-27s...one with full length grill (in either black or oak?) and one with the nicer looking 3/4 length grill in a black and greyish tone. Looking forward to getting these babies and setting them up. Going to use the 600s in my main TV room along with the recently purchased SurroundScape center for movie viewing and 2 channel music. Currently have the TF400s I bought off craigs last month in this room. Will move the 400s upstairs to a bedroom setup. Not sure where I will use the CX-27s, but couldn't pass on them for $100 in the same area as the 600s. Owner says they are in excellent condition as well. Must say it's pretty fun hunting down DCMs! Now to decide on what to do with the many JBL Northridge E series speakers I have...E90s, E80s, E50s, E30s, and an EC-35 center. Would probably have a tuff time unloading them on craigs. But the DCMs are taking over!



post #1393 of 1643
$200 isn't bad for a well taken care of pair of TF-600s. I paid $180 for mine but had to make about a 5 hour round trip on very little sleep.
post #1394 of 1643
due to limited space for other desgns, i currently use a pair of CX-27's for my rear surrounds in my HT. They work great and are essentially the same (though not exactly) as the 600's in a different cabinet.
post #1395 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post

due to limited space for other desgns, i currently use a pair of CX-27's for my rear surrounds in my HT. They work great and are essentially the same (though not exactly) as the 600's in a different cabinet.

Thought about that. Not sure I have the space for the CX-27s as rear surrounds. Kind of tight on the back wall. Currently am using some JBL E10s mounted on shelves in the back corners. Will see if I can fit them in though. My SACDs would sound pretty sweet with the 600s up front and CX-27s in the back. Would need to find some short (maybe 12 inch) speaker stands to place the 27s on. Haven't seen any pop up on craigs lately!
post #1396 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Thought about that. Not sure I have the space for the CX-27s as rear surrounds. Kind of tight on the back wall. Currently am using some JBL E10s mounted on shelves in the back corners. Will see if I can fit them in though. My SACDs would sound pretty sweet with the 600s up front and CX-27s in the back. Would need to find some short (maybe 12 inch) speaker stands to place the 27s on. Haven't seen any pop up on craigs lately!

That's the funny thing about our love for speakers. Speakers come first, then we try to work the room. I just installed the second pair of TW3s as rears and moved the CX-17s (with stands) to the side. Moved furniture all afternoon yesterday. When I got it to where I thought it would work, the girlfriend came over, shook her head, and gave me one of those "what are you thinking" looks. Made some slight adjustments and she's happy now, although I was told "no more speakers!" biggrin.gif
post #1397 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Thought about that. Not sure I have the space for the CX-27s as rear surrounds. Kind of tight on the back wall. Currently am using some JBL E10s mounted on shelves in the back corners. Will see if I can fit them in though. My SACDs would sound pretty sweet with the 600s up front and CX-27s in the back. Would need to find some short (maybe 12 inch) speaker stands to place the 27s on. Haven't seen any pop up on craigs lately!

That's the funny thing about our love for speakers. Speakers come first, then we try to work the room. I just installed the second pair of TW3s as rears and moved the CX-17s (with stands) to the side. Moved furniture all afternoon yesterday. When I got it to where I thought it would work, the girlfriend came over, shook her head, and gave me one of those "what are you thinking" looks. Made some slight adjustments and she's happy now, although I was told "no more speakers!" biggrin.gif

I'm curious on why you put the TW3s as rears instead of the CX-17? Was it a space issue/
post #1398 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

I'm curious on why you put the TW3s as rears instead of the CX-17? Was it a space issue/

Yes sir. Having the TW3s as Ls and Rs would have put them right at the ends of both my sofa and love seat plus, they're a little bit wider than the CX-17s on their stands. Space is at a premium. So what I have are my original pair of TW3s as my left and right fronts, the Cx-17s as Ls and Rs, and the second pair of TW3s as Lb and Rb. Do you think the sound quality will greatly fall short with that configuration?
post #1399 of 1643
In search of stands for the CX-27s I will be picking up Friday. These look very nice but can't see spending as much on the stands as I am on the speakers! But these would work very nicely with the tilt and all.
post #1400 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

In search of stands for the CX-27s I will be picking up Friday. These look very nice but can't see spending as much on the stands as I am on the speakers! But these would work very nicely with the tilt and all.

With the right tools, you could make yourself a pair for next to nothing and they'd look just as good. Had the stands I use for the CX-17s made out of wrought iron.

post #1401 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

With the right tools, you could make yourself a pair for next to nothing and they'd look just as good. Had the stands I use for the CX-17s made out of wrought iron.




Key phrase being "the right tools"! I don't have any tools or workspace close to being able to make my own. Could hit up the high school woodworking shop dude. But something will turn up on local craigs sooner or later.
post #1402 of 1643
Picked up the TF600s and CX-27s today. 4 hour round trip. Not too bad. Nice day for a drive up to the Richmond VA area. Picked up the speakers 10 miles apart from two nice fellas. Good and bad news. Good...the TF600s are in excellent cosmetic condition. Amazing for 20 year old speakers. Bad news? The rear firing tweeters on the left speaker do not work. Darnit! Was hoping not to have to get into this. I even specifically asked the guy before I went to get them if all the rear firing tweeters worked (purchased them off ebay). He said all components work as expected. Oh well, maybe he just didn't know. Now the process to locate the problem begins. Bad tweeter? Blown crossover bulb? Bad connection somewhere? I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help me out. And I'm gonna need it! Never got into this kind of thing before. So fellas, suggestions on where to start? I suppose to make sure the wiring between/around the rear tweeters looks correct, then to check the crossover bulbs? The crossovers are behind the speaker connection terminals, correct? Maybe there's just a loose wire. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I also pulled a muscle in my back while moving the speakers around. Sharp pain with every movement. Ugghh. Actually I did it while moving the coffee table out of the way to take some pictures of my new DCM speaker lineup. TF600s, TF400s, CX-27s, and SurroundScape center all lined up nice and perty! (I'll post pics soon) But I am soldiering on.
post #1403 of 1643
Pretty common for those tweeters to be bad. I have seen it many times. Just harvest parts from some cx speakers and your 600's will sing!
post #1404 of 1643
It's probably not the crossover bulb fuses as the front tweeters wouldn't work then either. The tweeters are probably blown. I really don't care for those tweeters and will probably sell my TF-600s because of them.
post #1405 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Making the road trip Friday to pick up some TF600s I won off ebay for local pickup and some CX-27s in the same area. Dude had the 600s on both ebay and craigs. Wanted $300 for them on craigs but his ebay listing started at $200 and I was the only bidder. Maybe a wee bit too much for the 600s but if they are in as good a shape as he says they are then it will be well worth it I believe. Even has the badges still in place. Getting the CX-27s for $100. Wish they were the ones with the 3/4 length grill. There were apparently 2 versions of the CX-27s...one with full length grill (in either black or oak?) and one with the nicer looking 3/4 length grill in a black and greyish tone. Looking forward to getting these babies and setting them up. Going to use the 600s in my main TV room along with the recently purchased SurroundScape center for movie viewing and 2 channel music. Currently have the TF400s I bought off craigs last month in this room. Will move the 400s upstairs to a bedroom setup. Not sure where I will use the CX-27s, but couldn't pass on them for $100 in the same area as the 600s. Owner says they are in excellent condition as well. Must say it's pretty fun hunting down DCMs! Now to decide on what to do with the many JBL Northridge E series speakers I have...E90s, E80s, E50s, E30s, and an EC-35 center. Would probably have a tuff time unloading them on craigs. But the DCMs are taking over!

Ahhh Finally. Congrats, Sacflies!!

I have a naked picture of a pair that I currently can't upload, as after the recap I am now 'resocking' them.

I have an important question for Jamie or anyone that might know, though. The material under the top sock cover seems to be another layer of mesh with a thin layer of foam attached. Obviously this foam has deteriorated and is falling off. Is there an important reason for this thin foam layer (ie front panel reflection or damping)? Or can I just remove and leave it off?

Thanks. I'll get pics of my project posted as soon as I can.
post #1406 of 1643
It's automotive headliner material. It's main purpose is to keep the grill cloth from rattling.
post #1407 of 1643
Would you replace it? Or is there another way to keep the grill cover still?
post #1408 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMlover View Post

Pretty common for those tweeters to be bad. I have seen it many times. Just harvest parts from some cx speakers and your 600's will sing!

Problem is those CX speakers ain't that cheap! But there are 2 CX tweets on ebay now. One is $25 free ship and the other is an auction starting at $5.99 but three of the screw holes were broken and were glued back together. But how are the rear tweets mounted? Would I even use the screw holes? Got the pair of CX-27s but would hate to sacrifice those for the tweets. May go ahead and grab that $25 tweeter and put in a bid for the other. I've come this far so why stop now?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post

It's probably not the crossover bulb fuses as the front tweeters wouldn't work then either. The tweeters are probably blown. I really don't care for those tweeters and will probably sell my TF-600s because of them.

Yeah, you're right about that. But aren't the rear tweeters wired in sequence so if one doesn't work neither will work? What if I removed each tweeter and tested them in the CX-27s? Or is there a better/easier way to test them? Sorry, I'm just not very familiar with all this. Either way I'm gonna have to wait until my back straightens out before I do ANYTHING. Sucker is killing me! Amazing how much pain a pulled back muscle can cause! I can hardly walk. Hopefully it will be better in a few days.

Thx very much for the replies guys.
post #1409 of 1643
Unhook it from the crossover, and string 2 wires from your amp/receiver out. Just tap a couple times on the tweeter terminals. Being very careful, at very low volume settings, with the bass all the way down, you can simply wire a tweeter straight to the amp out to see if it's totally dead or not. It's a little bit of a redneck way of doing things, but it saves a lot of tearing another speaker apart to test it. If it works, that only tells you there is continuity through it.

It obviously doesn't tell you if your crossover is healthy, or if the tweeter will put out higher frequencies, but its a quick way to tell you if your a wasting your time with the tweeter.
post #1410 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

But aren't the rear tweeters wired in sequence so if one doesn't work neither will work? .
That's true, the rear tweeters are wired in series. You may only have 1 dead tweeter.

In all honesty, I'd like to try to replace all of the tweeters in my TF-600s with something like this...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-804

... however, it would be a crap shoot as to whether or not it would fit and be suitable sound wise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach?