or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach? - Page 9

post #241 of 1643
Hello guys, I'm late to the party, but I need some advice on the TW3 repair. Formfactor, let me also congradulate you on the tremondous effort and reults on your speakers. Jamie, thanks for providing all the critical info and the info from contact with Steve E. I have a pair of TW3's I bought new in about 1980?, I think. They were purchased from Louis Hernandez of the STEREO SHOP in Martinez Ga, who is still in business selling high end audio and home theater equipment. I still have the original boxes in the attic and the paperwork around here somewhere.

Cosmetically they are still in great shape but one tweeter is blown. Is there an excellent substitute replacement available in 2008? Should I replace the tweeters in both speakers for balance and longevity? I want to use them as 5.1 rear channel speakers eventually.

I can not solder worth a crap, but there is a local TV repair store who might do the repair work if I provide parts and clear insructions. I want to bring these speakers back up to full performance. I have pics of the speakers but have never posted pics to AVSforum. Do I upload them to a server like Photobucket and post IMG tags here or is there another way?

Sorry for all the questions. Please post or PM me with any response on these questions. TIA
post #242 of 1643
Sanlanman,

I talked to Steve E. today about tour problem. There is no off the shelf replacement for your Vifa tweeter. Like most of the drivers used by DCM, it was modified for use in the TimeWindows. The ferrofluid was thinner and they added a dampening material ("goo" was the specific term Steve used) on the domes. The mounting flanges were also modified. The TW3 tweeter was also used in the Macrophone and TimeFrame 500. I would look on Ebay for either one of these speakers for parts.

Good luck
post #243 of 1643
I started the wood working for the base cabinet. The first picture shows the Vifa woofer temporally mounted in the front baffle. The second is a better shot of the baffle. It's 1-1/2 thick MDF that I stepped to fit into the cabinet. The third shot is of the base, which is ¾ MDF, that show the double step for the front baffle and the interlocking corners.
LL
LL
LL
post #244 of 1643
The next set show one of the side panels lying down, and then one with the panels set in place, then the last with a dry fit before gluing. I like to use Gorilla glue for this. It's messy, but it's extremely strong. After gluing the corners will be chamfered with a 3/8 45 to match center speaker that will set on top.
LL
LL
LL
post #245 of 1643
What kind of table saw are you using jamie? I've been using an industrial grade table saw at a wood shop I have access to. If I can get away with a light duty table saw I might buy one for myself.
post #246 of 1643
Jamie, your base cabinet looks to be coming along nicely....

Question,..do you happen to know anything about the Microphone speakers.

There was a pair on Ebay that I was bidding on,...but someone else got them...

Thanks, Michael
post #247 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by formfactor View Post

What kind of table saw are you using jamie? I've been using an industrial grade table saw at a wood shop I have access to. If I can get away with a light duty table saw I might buy one for myself.

I'm using 3hp Craftsman, nothing special. If I had to do it again, I would have bought something heavier. I had to replace the motor already, but in all fairness, I really used it a lot. The piece of equipment that I use the most is the Bosch router and table; the fence can be adjusted so you can use it as a jointer also.
post #248 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by countslav View Post

Jamie, your base cabinet looks to be coming along nicely....

Question,..do you happen to know anything about the Microphone speakers.

There was a pair on Ebay that I was bidding on,...but someone else got them...

Thanks, Michael

Not really, only that they were an earlier design. Steve liked tweeter he used in it enough to use it in the TW3
post #249 of 1643
Here is a post from another forum with some info on TW1A. Crossover ,woofer .tweeter.http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152004
post #250 of 1643
Here are a few more shots after being glued upped and block sanded. I decided because I had enough MDF and while the tooling was set up, to make another center speaker cabinet. The side corners need to be chamfered yet.
LL
LL
LL
post #251 of 1643
The next shows the chamfer. The outer edge of the ¼ face will also have a small chamfer. The grill (like the CX-17) will be ½ MDF that fits inside the lip and protrudes pass the lip. Both pieces will have removable backs.
LL
LL
post #252 of 1643
That looks really good, Jamie.
Really, i wish i had tools and skills like that
post #253 of 1643
Jamie those look really nice with the angle baffles. I built baseses for my TW1 raised them up about 3 1/2" and put the crossovers in their. I have a question about the inductor.It is 1 ohm R.with 20 gauge wire .89Mh with a copper ring inside. What does the copper ring do?and can I try a lower resitance inductor or would that mess up the sound.If you could ask Steve Iwould appreciate it Mike.
post #254 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny20 View Post

I'm new to this forum, and have enjoyed my DCM speakers since I bought them new in 1996 and 1997. I originally had TF600's, but after two speaker failures the dealer exchaged them for TF v. 8.0's. I have a SurroundScape center, SUB-710 Compact Sub (a weak link), and used to have CX-07's as my surround speakers. I gave them and my old HK receiver to a family member, and now have Mirage Omnisats as my surround speakers, but they don't really match sonically with my DCM's. A nice Anthem processor & 7 channel amp drive my 5.1 system.

I could really use some help from some DCM experts (like Jamie) to give me some suggestions about DCM speakers for surround speakers. I'm considering CX17's, CX-27's, or TW's (1a's or 3's) because of their unique design. The CX-17's would be a very close match with my center and the drivers in my TF's, but I wouldn't mind the extra bass of the CX-27's since I sometimes listen to music in 5.1 surround sound. My only concern about the 27's is that they are rated at 6 ohms vs. the 8 ohm rating of my other speakers (and the 17's). If I could find TW3's, I think they are also 8 ohms, but are they sonically a match for the other speakers? I thought about finding a pair of v-series TF's, but I've never seen them available on ebay. I could use the TW's for the mains, and switch my TF's to surround duty. Would that make sense, and am I overly concerned about the ohm ratings? Replacing the compact sub with a decent sub will fix that issue, but I could really use some good advice about my surround speaker confusion.

Thank you!

I have a surroundscape center that was given to me. Does anyone have any specs on this center. Wondering if it's worth integrating into one of my systems.

Thanks
post #255 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

Sanlanman,

I talked to Steve E. today about tour problem. There is no off the shelf replacement for your Vifa tweeter. Like most of the drivers used by DCM, it was modified for use in the TimeWindows. The ferrofluid was thinner and they added a dampening material ("goo" was the specific term Steve used) on the domes. The mounting flanges were also modified. The TW3 tweeter was also used in the Macrophone and TimeFrame 500. I would look on Ebay for either one of these speakers for parts.

Good luck


Thanks for asking Jamie, It looks like I am S.O.L. I don't use e bay and have no clue where else to look. I wonder which current production tweeter would come closest to fitting and be a close sonic match?
post #256 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooskinny View Post

I have a surroundscape center that was given to me. Does anyone have any specs on this center. Wondering if it's worth integrating into one of my systems.

Thanks

The Surroundscape is a nice center speaker. What other speakers would you using it with? Also, could you post a few pics of the crossover? It will be mounted behind the terminal cup. Here's a copy of the specs.
LL
post #257 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1 View Post

Jamie those look really nice with the angle baffles. I built baseses for my TW1 raised them up about 3 1/2" and put the crossovers in their. I have a question about the inductor.It is 1 ohm R.with 20 gauge wire .89Mh with a copper ring inside. What does the copper ring do?and can I try a lower resitance inductor or would that mess up the sound.If you could ask Steve Iwould appreciate it Mike.



From what I remember Steve telling me, the copper tube (or sometimes aluminum square tube) could be slid in and out for fine-tuning and then glued into position. You do not want to change it. The only mods I would make would be to replace the electrolytic caps (make sure to match the values exactly include the dissipation value) and possibly better binding posts. There was alot of design and real-time adjustments/testing in those DCM's before they went out.
post #258 of 1643
Jamie thanks for the reply.I mesured all the caps,and the mylar caps were fine.The two 47uf electrolytic caps on the tweeter notch filter had change so I replace those.The tweeter circuit is the same as TW1A as posted in the above link #249.
post #259 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

The Surroundscape is a nice center speaker. What other speakers would you using it with? Also, could you post a few pics of the crossover? It will be mounted behind the terminal cup. Here's a copy of the specs.

I would be using def tech bp10's. That looks exactly like the speaker I have. thanks for the specs.
post #260 of 1643
I just bought a decent set of TF-2000's. I've scoured the internet for information on these things but heres all I know about them:

1)DCM's TOTL speaker for 1987
2)MSRP: $2000
3)Power Handling: 1000watts (for both or per channel?)
4)Each speaker has 2-8in woofers, 2 mids and a 1in tweeter (this may seem obvious, but I can really see them due to the semi-permanent "sock" on them)
5)They're rare. Perhaps even engineer samples? Did they actually go into production with these?
6)A basic typewritten manual dealing with speaker placement, care etc that I downloaded from DCM.
7)Serial #'s 000258 & 000259

That's it. Firstly, are these facts even right? Secondly, do you have any other useful info on this model? Any additional info or corrections would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
post #261 of 1643
A small update on my TW7CS project. The cabinets are built and almost ready for primer. I decided to fully assemble both new center and base and test them before painting. The large cutouts in the rear are for the terminal cups and flared ports. The rear baffle will also be removable. The grills still need to be made. They will be 1/2" MDF like the earlier CX-17 and set inside the outside lip.
LL
LL
LL
post #262 of 1643
Here are a few shots of the crossover for the center speaker. The one for the sub will be separate. I used the existing crossover from original TW7 Center project and added a 320uF electrolytic cap bypassed with a Solen 130uF 250v polypropylene (that's the big SOB in the middle @ $43.95) for the highpass filter. There also is a 10ohm 5w wire wound variable resister parallel with the caps to compensate for the phase shift in a first order design, Steve added that. We should be able to "dial in" the exact resistant needed.
LL
LL
LL
post #263 of 1643
Thread Starter 
I guess this is where I start begging again. Man Jamie.........you gotta start building these for us DCM fans. You are phenomenal.
post #264 of 1643
Thread Starter 
What is the model number and source of the Vifa woofer? Thanks.
post #265 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o View Post

What is the model number and source of the Vifa woofer? Thanks.

Tracy, The driver is Vifa M22WR-09-06. I talk to Josh at Madisound.
info@madisound.com
post #266 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian44 View Post
I just bought a decent set of TF-2000's. I've scoured the internet for information on these things but heres all I know about them:

1)DCM's TOTL speaker for 1987
2)MSRP: $2000
3)Power Handling: 1000watts (for both or per channel?)
4)Each speaker has 2-8in woofers, 2 mids and a 1in tweeter (this may seem obvious, but I can really see them due to the semi-permanent "sock" on them)
5)They're rare. Perhaps even engineer samples? Did they actually go into production with these?
6)A basic typewritten manual dealing with speaker placement, care etc that I downloaded from DCM.
7)Serial #'s 000258 & 000259

That's it. Firstly, are these facts even right? Secondly, do you have any other useful info on this model? Any additional info or corrections would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
I talked to Steve on your TF-2000. The information you posted is basically correct. Here are a few notes he gave me. Power handling would be for each speaker. They were a low sensitivity/high impedance (8 ohms nom.) design that could take a lot of power. The production would have been between 200 to 1,000 pairs. He remembers that a lot were ship to Canada. The serial numbers started at 000234 so your set would be early production. Here's a copy of the Owner's manual. I hope this helps.

 

TF2000.pdf 354.158203125k . file
post #267 of 1643
Thread Starter 
Hey Jamie.

Is there any truth to the rumor that DCM is re-releasing the Time Window series? If so I hope that Steve in involved.
post #268 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o View Post

Hey Jamie.

Is there any truth to the rumor that DCM is re-releasing the Time Window series? If so I hope that Steve in involved.

that would be awesome!
Too bad they don't sell DCM anymore here in the Netherlands
post #269 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o View Post

Hey Jamie.

Is there any truth to the rumor that DCM is re-releasing the Time Window series? If so I hope that Steve in involved.

Not that I'm aware of. Where did you hear the rumor?
post #270 of 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o View Post

Hey Jamie.

Is there any truth to the rumor that DCM is re-releasing the Time Window series? If so I hope that Steve in involved.

Yea, inquiring minds want to know where that rumor got started.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Whatever happened to DCM's Steve Eberbach?