or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Time Warner Cable HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time Warner Cable HDTV - Page 303

post #9061 of 9360
ClearQAM in our division gets you all locals, TBS, YNN and a few others. My brother gets these with an Internet only subscription.
post #9062 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

ClearQAM in our division gets you all locals, TBS, YNN and a few others. My brother gets these with an Internet only subscription.

Basic Cable on my TWC System (Liberty) gets me the following (in analog):
Locals + ESPN, FX, VH1, & CSpan

If I didn't have a low-pass filter on my drop, according to scuttlebutt, I would get the following digital channels:
Locals (w/ all sub-channels), plus ESPN, FX, Discovery, CNN, TNT, WGNAmerica.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #9063 of 9360
So nice that everyone has different numbers of channels or different channels in the same plans (e.g., basic, standard, etc.). Wonder if pricing for each plan is anywhere close. Maybe some divisions are just more greedy than others so offer less channels.
post #9064 of 9360
Time Warner Cable Launches TWC TV™ Channel on Roku®
Published: March 7, 2013 Updated 15 minutes ago

NEW YORK — Time Warner Cable today announced the launch of the TWC TV channel on Roku players. Customers will be able to stream up to 300 channels of live programming in their homes through the Roku device at no additional cost.

“This fourth platform launch for TWC TV represents a new viewing experience for our customers. It’s a great complimentary service in the home, offering thousands of programs at their fingertips,” said Mike Angus, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Video for Time Warner Cable. “We’re proud to add TWC TV for Roku to the growing collection of devices our customers use to watch content in the home.”

Key features on TWC TV for Roku include:

Access to up to 300 channels of live programming
Ability to browse carousels of genre-grouped titles
Option to view recently viewed channels and create favorite channel list
Parental control channel blocking
Time Warner Cable plans to add On Demand content to the offering later this year. TWC TV for Roku is available to Time Warner Cable video subscribers with a TWC authorized modem and a Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku HD, Roku LT player or Roku Streaming Stick™. Customers also need their TWC ID and password. Channel line-ups vary per market and depend on which video subscription package a customer subscribes to. TWC TV is also available on Apple iOS, Android devices and PCs and Macs via www.TWCTV.com.

For a complete channel lineup and more information on the app, please visit the Untangled blog at www.twcableuntangled.com.

About Time Warner Cable

Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE: TWC) is among the largest providers of video, high-speed data and voice services in the United States, connecting more than 15 million customers to entertainment, information and each other. Time Warner Cable Business Class offers data, video and voice services to businesses of all sizes, cell tower backhaul services to wireless carriers and managed and outsourced information technology solutions and cloud services. Time Warner Cable Media, the advertising arm of Time Warner Cable, offers national, regional and local companies innovative advertising solutions. More information about the services of Time Warner Cable is available at www.twc.com, www.twcbc.com and www.twcmedia.com.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/03/07/4674671/time-warner-cable-launches-twc.html
post #9065 of 9360
Yes been discussed in other threads. Mine is missing locals, ESPN and the Weather Channel but otherwise is much like the iPad app.
post #9066 of 9360
My grandparents live in the Syracuse NY area. My parents just went up there. They have HD which they have had for a few months but my dad found out it was not an HD box so he had to pick up one then that broke after 30 minutes and had to get another one.

My main question is about HD. My dad told me if there is an HD version of a channel it will always choose that even if you go to where the SD was located.

Channels like Cartoon Network, TBS,TNT stretch programs that are 4:3 some other channels do as well which for me makes them unwatchable.

Is there a way to get the SD version if you wanted to?
post #9067 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

My grandparents live in the Syracuse NY area. My parents just went up there. They have HD which they have had for a few months but my dad found out it was not an HD box so he had to pick up one then that broke after 30 minutes and had to get another one.

My main question is about HD. My dad told me if there is an HD version of a channel it will always choose that even if you go to where the SD was located.

Channels like Cartoon Network, TBS,TNT stretch programs that are 4:3 some other channels do as well which for me makes them unwatchable.

Is there a way to get the SD version if you wanted to?

Turn OFF the HD Autotune function.

Cox now has a prompt to press a certain button on the remote (I don't remember which button) to go from a SD channel to its HD version. This is a better solution, IMO.
Edited by domino92024 - 5/21/13 at 1:17pm
post #9068 of 9360
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Turn OFF the HD Autotune function.

Cox now has a prompt to press a certain button on the remote (I don't remember which button) to go from a SD channel to its HD version. This is a better solution, IMO.

Thanks

Yeah I would prefer the way Cox does it as well.
post #9069 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Turn OFF the HD Autotune function.

Cox now has a prompt to press a certain button on the remote (I don't remember which button) to go from a SD channel to its HD version. This is a better solution, IMO.

FIOS maintains both channel mappings but displays a "Press "C" on your remote to watch in HD" banner if you tune to an SD channel that is available in HD.
post #9070 of 9360
Syracuse doesn't apply AutoHD to the channels he mentions. Syracuse only auto tunes the non SDV channels. Basically the locals and a few sports channels. If you want the HD version: Hit Select/Ok and then choose the Watch in HD option.
post #9071 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Turn OFF the HD Autotune function.

Cox now has a prompt to press a certain button on the remote (I don't remember which button) to go from a SD channel to its HD version. This is a better solution, IMO.

FIOS maintains both channel mappings but displays a "Press "C" on your remote to watch in HD" banner if you tune to an SD channel that is available in HD.

And this is different from what Cox is doing...how?
post #9072 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Syracuse doesn't apply AutoHD to the channels he mentions. Syracuse only auto tunes the non SDV channels. Basically the locals and a few sports channels. If you want the HD version: Hit Select/Ok and then choose the Watch in HD option.

Syracuse is already or is fixing to eliminate AutoHD completely and just go with the HD feeds on all channels that have an HD feed this is done by channel mapping and Hob has already said it has been applied in Syracuse already smile.gif a month before the channel lineup shift to the new format of HD boxes having an HD/non HD version SD channel map for HD boxes and an SD channel map for SD boxes that starts on June 18th.
post #9073 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Syracuse is already or is fixing to eliminate AutoHD completely and just go with the HD feeds on all channels that have an HD feed this is done by channel mapping and Hob has already said it has been applied in Syracuse already smile.gif a month before the channel lineup shift to the new format of HD boxes having an HD/non HD version SD channel map for HD boxes and an SD channel map for SD boxes that starts on June 18th.

Yup, was aware this was coming. It just wasn't in place at the time in question. Too bad they are staying with SDV and Navigator.
post #9074 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Syracuse is already or is fixing to eliminate AutoHD completely and just go with the HD feeds on all channels that have an HD feed this is done by channel mapping and Hob has already said it has been applied in Syracuse already smile.gif a month before the channel lineup shift to the new format of HD boxes having an HD/non HD version SD channel map for HD boxes and an SD channel map for SD boxes that starts on June 18th.
Us on the West Coast have a different issue. Many (most) of the HD channels are still on East Coast feed and the SD are West Coast feed so they are different at any given moment. Nice because 9PM shows can get recorded at 6PM in HD and watched whenever in the evening instead of 9PM and watch the next day. Also nice if you happen on a show, you can record 3 hours later. More channels are changing to both on West Coast feed (another 3 early June), but slowly. /Dan
post #9075 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Syracuse is already or is fixing to eliminate AutoHD completely and just go with the HD feeds on all channels that have an HD feed this is done by channel mapping and Hob has already said it has been applied in Syracuse already smile.gif a month before the channel lineup shift to the new format of HD boxes having an HD/non HD version SD channel map for HD boxes and an SD channel map for SD boxes that starts on June 18th.
Us on the West Coast have a different issue. Many (most) of the HD channels are still on East Coast feed and the SD are West Coast feed so they are different at any given moment. Nice because 9PM shows can get recorded at 6PM in HD and watched whenever in the evening instead of 9PM and watch the next day. Also nice if you happen on a show, you can record 3 hours later. More channels are changing to both on West Coast feed (another 3 early June), but slowly. /Dan

We on the west coast...
post #9076 of 9360
Waiting to see if I can get a new HD DVR box here in the Buffalo suburbs. When I talked to a rep about cancelling and going to satellite, she gave me a deal I couldn't refuse with extreme internet, 2 HD DVR boxes, and more programming for cheaper than I pay now. But she told me I'd be getting these new black HD DVR boxes that have more hard drive space. Yah well when I went to pick them up they gave me the SA 8300 boxes, which I had a long time ago. And the lady was short with me when I tried to explain to her what I was told. Then more phone calls, and I'm getting nowhere. Why tell me I'm going to get something that you don't have? The bigger hard drive was also a reason i agreed since I record a lot. Plus she told me she was turning on 3D which was free, but there's like no channels, and I don't think this box even supports 3D! Finally called customer service advocates of the presidents office at the headquarters, waiting to hear back, but I'm thinkin it doesn't look good because i doubt they even have these boxes in this area. But an apology seems sufficient to them at this point...not to me!
post #9077 of 9360
In our Wisconsin TWC area, the only way you can get the black Cisco boxes is if you sign up for Signature Home, which I have and enjoy. The service gives you 2 HD DVRs at 500 GB each for a total of 1 TB recording time, Basic Service, Standard Service, Digital Variety Tier, Whole house DVR service, Ultimate Internet with WiFi and Nationwide Digital Home Service. I immediately got great service, lower payments for more service (really use the Ultimate) and I added the 4-pack movie premiums for $30 more.
Your location may differ from mine, but the Cisco boxes and the lighted remotes are a joy to use unless I push the wrong button (my error).
If I were you, I would cancel the TWC TV service and go with DirecTV, but keep the internet as Road Runner as it is generally reliable and fast if you don't want or have Signature Home availability.
Now if they don't offer what they said they would, get the names and numbers, not just promises. They owe you a couple new boxes, not just an apology.
post #9078 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparris View Post

In our Wisconsin TWC area, the only way you can get the black Cisco boxes is if you sign up for Signature Home, which I have and enjoy. The service gives you 2 HD DVRs at 500 GB each for a total of 1 TB recording time, Basic Service, Standard Service, Digital Variety Tier, Whole house DVR service, Ultimate Internet with WiFi and Nationwide Digital Home Service. I immediately got great service, lower payments for more service (really use the Ultimate) and I added the 4-pack movie premiums for $30 more.
Your location may differ from mine, but the Cisco boxes and the lighted remotes are a joy to use unless I push the wrong button (my error).
If I were you, I would cancel the TWC TV service and go with DirecTV, but keep the internet as Road Runner as it is generally reliable and fast if you don't want or have Signature Home availability.
Now if they don't offer what they said they would, get the names and numbers, not just promises. They owe you a couple new boxes, not just an apology.

Signature Home or Whole House DVR service to get the newer boxes. To clarify, Signature Home is a Whole House DVR program.

Satch
post #9079 of 9360
Checking the TWC site just for whole house DVR I see no reference to Signature Home so this feature is one offered by Signature Home but not exclusive. Satch Man, have you tried to order whole house DVR to get the better boxes?
post #9080 of 9360
You don't need Sig Home to get Whole Home service, but some divisions are still giving out 8300HDC models unless you have Whole Home. I believe he is referring to using Whole Home as a way to ensure you get the latest DVR.
post #9081 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparris View Post

Checking the TWC site just for whole house DVR I see no reference to Signature Home so this feature is one offered by Signature Home but not exclusive. Satch Man, have you tried to order whole house DVR to get the better boxes?

No,

At $185/mo in Wisconsin with Triple Play , DVR, Sports Pass, HBO/Showtime, the added $20 a month or so for Signature Home, would result in a loss of my Premiums, Sports Pass, and overall $20 more per month just for more storage not right for me at this time. All HBO/Showtime/TMC/and Cinemax at $230. A little too high for me. I don't do tons of recording and my SA-8300HDC has worked pretty well for three years. Only have one TV in the house anyway. Even Whole House Service would push me over $200. I want to keep the bill below $200 as long as possible for best Triple Play Value. Customer Retentions has been very helpful in this regard.

However, if your division is good, and you have multiple DVR and TV configurations, I could see the value in Signature Home. However, if your division has been in the crapper, like Ben's has ever since he got the Black Navigator Guide and Signature Home, and TWC FORCED him to take their crappy modems, Signature Home in that case is almost no better than regular service. GP. I know you have had an amazing experience with Signature Home in Wisconsin. Here in Wisconsin, our division is pretty good. I would rate them a B.

Jack
Edited by Satch Man - 6/9/13 at 3:39pm
post #9082 of 9360
My understanding is the current Cisco boxes that work good are setup to be paired together for whole house DVR so that could be the reason why someone even with a higher billing each month like Satch Man in good standing cannot get even that one box replacement. It could be also that TWC does not have enough Cisco boxes per division location either. Samsung boxes in our area have not that been as reliable I was told so I am glad I do not have any,but these are also hard to come by. Why TWC has not replaced its DVRs in so many years is beyond me for everyone who wants them. The 8300HD and its cable card twin have been around for way too many years. Think how cell phones and HDTVs have advanced in the last 10 plus years...why not TWC's DVRs?
post #9083 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparris View Post

My understanding is the current Cisco boxes that work good are setup to be paired together for whole house DVR so that could be the reason why someone even with a higher billing each month like Satch Man in good standing cannot get even that one box replacement. It could be also that TWC does not have enough Cisco boxes per division location either. Samsung boxes in our area have not that been as reliable I was told so I am glad I do not have any,but these are also hard to come by. Why TWC has not replaced its DVRs in so many years is beyond me for everyone who wants them. The 8300HD and its cable card twin have been around for way too many years. Think how cell phones and HDTVs have advanced in the last 10 plus years...why not TWC's DVRs?

Yes,

I was told that often times the newer boxes are in short supply. I was also told that if you are having Multi-Room DVR problems, (Signature Home/Whole Home) make sure that your DVR's and regular set-tops are from the same company. keep your multi-room, all Cisco, or All Samsung. Some areas with different box companies with Whole Home have had box communication issues if the manufactures boxes do not match.

Jack
post #9084 of 9360
CBS might be dropped from TWC: https://news.google.com/news?ncl=dX0UUfsCGWj7RAM0SY3_5fftAfFgM&q=cbs+%22time+warner+cable%22&lr=English&hl=en frown.gif

http://keepcbs.com/ from the KCBS2's commercials.
Edited by phildaant - 7/21/13 at 4:54pm
post #9085 of 9360
These disputes are never going to end unless the FCC steps in. I'd like to see the carriers band together and just tell the networks using these extortion tactics to go to hell. You'll see them come around fast when no one is carrying the station.

Me, I'm about to give up on cable altogether. I'll keep it if they discount it enough, but we have decided that we can live without it. OTA and streaming can give us most of what we need.
post #9086 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparris View Post

Why TWC has not replaced its DVRs in so many years is beyond me for everyone who wants them. The 8300HD and its cable card twin have been around for way too many years. Think how cell phones and HDTVs have advanced in the last 10 plus years...why not TWC's DVRs?

The problem is not that the venerable 8300HD is no longer capable of operating effectively. It's fast, reliable, and the active eSATA port means I can add an external drive to give me virtually unlimited storage. The problem is in the Navigator software - a bug-ridden, flea-bitten, outdated, pathetic excuse for a DVR interface. TWC should be ashamed, that is if their corporate executives were capable of shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Me, I'm about to give up on cable altogether. I'll keep it if they discount it enough, but we have decided that we can live without it. OTA and streaming can give us most of what we need.

"Most" being the key word. Lack of sports programming now that ESPN is carrying so many of the premiere events is what keeps a lot of people tethered to cable.
post #9087 of 9360
Don't give a rats ass about any sports programming so that's not keeping us. We will miss done of the Cooking /Food and Travel Channels along with Fox News.
post #9088 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

These disputes are never going to end unless the FCC steps in. I'd like to see the carriers band together and just tell the networks using these extortion tactics to go to hell. You'll see them come around fast when no one is carrying the station.

Me, I'm about to give up on cable altogether. I'll keep it if they discount it enough, but we have decided that we can live without it. OTA and streaming can give us most of what we need.
As Curly Bill Brocius (Time-Warner) said to Wyatt Earp (you): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYfu5E-hOE
post #9089 of 9360
Posts about personal preferences are just yawners.
post #9090 of 9360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Posts about personal preferences are just yawners.
Hence, my reply to the previous poster.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Time Warner Cable HDTV