Originally Posted by Brine
lets See:Sacrament (meeting)
- this is basically Sunday Church, the 1 hour long period where mormons conduct Church business, sing songs, pray, take sacrament (eat a peice of blessed bread, drink blessed water ), sunday Church is composed of 3 hours:
1. sacrament, 2. Learning/teaching 3. "focus groups"1 Sacrament
- sacrament meetings usually are arranged in a structured sense like follows:
-opening Prayer, opening Hymn, church business (announcements, blessings), sacrement hymn, sacrament prayer, ***Lessons / or testimoney meeting*** closing hymn, closing prayer.-*Lesson
- lessons are given by members whom are directed to give a lesson on "x" topic by the bishop (director/Pastor/preacher/etc) of the church.(usally 3 persons present 5-10 minute topics)*testimony
- Testimony meetings are the 1st sunday of Every month, the entire church fasts for the day, and during the period normally for lessons, the members would share their testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. this testimony is nothing like the testimony of the Baptist, or Similar southern religions...
usually they are short and sweet (repative) sounding something like "i know this church is true, i know Joesph Smith is a true prophet, i know our prophet is true, and i know that Jesus has suffered for our sins " - usually some small personal experience or thankfulness for Families are mentioned breifly amongst these common phrases.2. Learning/teaching
- The members then Arrange into Groups based on Age, or marital status, each taught lessons of the gospel. YSA
is one of the groups meaning "young Single Adults"3. "focus Groups"
The members then go into Sex based Groups (male or female)
and disscuss their duties in the gospel:Elders Quorom
- The men over 18 discuss the business of running their homes, famlies, and church business, they also learn a lesson on Family values or following
the doctrine. soon after they discuss mission work ( on converting in new members and ways to do that )Releif Soceity
- the Wifes learn how to be a proper mother, they are told they should stay home and raise their children, clean and cook, and even told to obey and take care of their husbands... You can imagine with the Cattiness of women and how the business of being a woman can be competitive, sometimes it becomes a "show off contest" amongst the members ( this is made aparent by the movie "the RM" (return missionary).High Preist Council
- Priests, Bishops, and holders of the Melcheizdek Preisthood, that are usually older than 50 meet and discuss the most important business of the church... these meetings are private, and much is not known as to what happens in these meetings...
Mission - ALL young men are heavily pressured into going on a mission ( young women can if they wish) *ages 18-26* - a mission Can be to a foriegn land ( see movie "the other side of heaven "), or even locally in the us (see "orgasmo").
Relief Soceity - The women's "club" they all meet and have activities.
YSA - Young Single adults 18-28 (somtimes 30 ??) - they meet weekly and have fun youth activies, most often are Dances, the purpose to put two members together for marriage...
Institue - a Wednsday night meeting for the YSA where they learn "college level" doctrine, a more comprehensive study.
Seminary - a Bible course that meets for students From middle School to Highschool, they meet every morning from 5 am to start of school...
Moroni - a Prophet, and chosen man of God, he Wrote in the Book of moron, and Sealed it away to ensure its survival.
Joesph smith - the Angel of God Moroni Appear to Joesph soon after an Earnest Prayer to find out which religion is true, moroni urged him to find and protect the Truth. Joesph smith revealed the Truth and Brought back the Lord's True church to the earth.
i hope this helps break it down...
also, The bishop HATES the Poligamist, because its no longer supported by the LDS church
LDS - latter Day saints (mormons)