or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer movies that DON'T suck?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subwoofer movies that DON'T suck? - Page 4

post #91 of 735
hmmm, maybe we should all agree to disagree on the whole global warming thing.
Regardless of where you stand on the issue, I think all of us can agree that The Day after tomorrow was ridiculously over the top.

I watched the LOTR Fellowship EE the other day w/ my new SVS 20-39+ my that movie is crazy bassy at times. especially diuring the whole Balrock and cavetroll scenes...
post #92 of 735
King Kong has great bass. Not as low or loud in the peaks as WOTW, but it's a much better flick. The bass in the movie is persistent throughout the entire 3 hours. It goes from a ship, to a crashing ship, to Kong, to dinosaurs and it goes on. Very loud and impressive.

Another great bass flick is the movie One Hour Photo. It has very loud bass in around the 30hz area in quite a few places. I had to turn my Omni S12 all the way down on it. Only movie that's ever made me do that.

Walk the line is similar.

and a quick joke....

Q: What is the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

A:One is a flaming fascist gasbag full of hot air, and the other is a dirigible
post #93 of 735
Global Warming was covered on last night's 60 Minutes. Read about the story here and see video from the show here and here



Nice joke, aragon, btw. I was thinking of a similar joke about his "hot air" being a major contributing factor to global warming...
post #94 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon127 View Post

Q: What is the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

A:One is a flaming fascist gasbag full of hot air, and the other is a dirigible

ROTFL!
post #95 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

So, what I think we are saying is, subwoofer/bass enthusiasts are not necessarily good movie critics.

Well, perhaps not NECESSARILY -- alot of elements are at play in what makes a "good" movie critic -- ability to write coherently might be one, but surely all that is necessary to the determination of what makes a great film versus the not-so-great, is the ability to critically evaluate the LFE content of a given production. I think you'll find, if you reflect upon it, that it really is just that simple.
post #96 of 735
i think someone recommended Contact so i watched it last night and 2 things...

1) AWESOME story! that and Foster is such a great actress in this movie!
2) HOUSE CRUMBLING BASS!!! ahhahaha especially towards the end.

go watch it!
post #97 of 735
I have an extra Sunfire True Signature EQ subwoofer, Sunfire's flagship sub that I would like to trade or sell. It is a 10/10, just opened to examine unit. $1429 + shipping.

Also looking for a Panasonic Plasma 42". A possible trade + $$'s?

Tally
post #98 of 735
Outright sales pitches and selling goes on in the classifieds, not here.
post #99 of 735
1. Explosion of the planet Praxus: Star Trek: Undiscovered Country
2. Salvage team cutting into Ripleys' adrift ship. Aliens
3. Opening sequence of a stampede. Rustlers' Rapsoady
4. Many scenes especially those big rifles shots. Quigley Down Under
5. The tornado scenes. Twister

1- 3 all are in the first 5-10 mins of the movie. Enjoy
post #100 of 735
submarine falling into the abyss, chapter 10 of finding nemo.

opening battle of LOTR:FOTR where sauron (sp?) gets his hand sliced off and implodes.
post #101 of 735
Thread Starter 
well, on the rec of several people I Netflixed the first disc having never seen this show...and was quite disappointed.

Maybe my expectations were too high, I was hoping for something near the caliber of "Saving Private Ryan" and instead this felt like a cheap 1970s TV series with all the usual monly-mon locker-room crapola. So much of it felt very fake, like the parachute jump most of which screamed "computer animation!" Generally needs a good film editor to trim all the fat too.

That dorky guy from "Friends" playing the dorky drill instructor was a hoot, wow he should've stuck to sitcoms.

Do the episodes get better as you go along? I'm debating whether to rent Disc 2 or not.
post #102 of 735
I'd definitely save my money. I think your mind is already made up.
post #103 of 735
I'm surprised that no one mentioned The Perfect Storm. Enough bass to make you sea sick...
post #104 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

well, on the rec of several people I Netflixed the first disc having never seen this show...and was quite disappointed.

Maybe my expectations were too high, I was hoping for something near the caliber of "Saving Private Ryan" and instead this felt like a cheap 1970s TV series with all the usual monly-mon locker-room crapola. So much of it felt very fake, like the parachute jump most of which screamed "computer animation!" Generally needs a good film editor to trim all the fat too.

That dorky guy from "Friends" playing the dorky drill instructor was a hoot, wow he should've stuck to sitcoms.

Do the episodes get better as you go along? I'm debating whether to rent Disc 2 or not.


Wait till you get to Carentan, Bastogne or the Breaking point, not up with SPR but not bad for an HBO series.
post #105 of 735
Personally, I think Band of Brothers puts Saving Private Ryan to shame...I own both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan...I've watched Saving Private Ryan maybe 3 times since I bought it (about the time it came out)....I've watched Band of Brothers about 4 times since I bought it in September. Band of Brothers does a much better job with character development...yes, the first two episodes are a bit slow going, but it builds from there. Carentan and Bastogne are great episodes, but like someone else said...you probably have already made up your mind regarding the series which is fine...I'm not faulting you for that. I just honestly can't see how someone COULDN'T like this miniseries.
post #106 of 735
How long is Band of Brothers?
post #107 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by screxer View Post

Personally, I think Band of Brothers puts Saving Private Ryan to shame...I own both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan...I've watched Saving Private Ryan maybe 3 times since I bought it (about the time it came out)....I've watched Band of Brothers about 4 times since I bought it in September. Band of Brothers does a much better job with character development...yes, the first two episodes are a bit slow going, but it builds from there. Carentan and Bastogne are great episodes, but like someone else said...you probably have already made up your mind regarding the series which is fine...I'm not faulting you for that. I just honestly can't see how someone COULDN'T like this miniseries.

hmm, well since this is all Netflix not $4 a pop at Blockbuster, I'll give it another shot...which episode # is Carentan and Bastogne? Can I skip a few episodes to get to those, or would those episodes not make any sense if I did?
post #108 of 735
Carentan is #3, Bastogne #6, 10 parts total, run time 600 min. Don't skip any.
post #109 of 735
Story wise band of brothers is much better, SPR is better in the sound but not by much.

Dont' skip a chapter!!
post #110 of 735
Best "subwoofer movie" is The incredibles. I would sit with a funny grin even with the LFE turned off. And with a good sub that movie just rocks :=)
post #111 of 735
Watched Braveheart last night, I didn't remember it having as much LFE as it did
post #112 of 735
Another vote for the "nothing but trailers" previews on HDNET. I watched this the other night and definately had to turn the volume down from my normal listening levels.

Jim
post #113 of 735
I recently watched Das Boot--Great movie no doubt. I wouldn't put it on my bass demo list, though. the depth charge scenes from U-571 put it so shame.

Another movie I watched last night again for the first time--since the HT, was House of Flying Daggers. I have seen this movie on my old pro-logic set up on a 27" tv and really enjoyed it. Last night I was almost in awe on my new system. I have seen the "echo game" seen a few dozen times on systems costing 10-20 times what mine does, but there still is nothing quite like hearing/seeing it in your own home. The most impressive thing about the scene to me is all the subtle nouances of it. There are many parts of it that are almost completely silent and you can hear the water fountains in the background and the other girls giggling on the balcony. You also can hear the breathing of the characters--simply amazing. Then of course is the powerful drum beats. When combined with the amazing colors and dancing ability of the exquisite miss Zhang Ziyi, it all adds up to be one of the best home theater show-off scenes I can think of. The background scenery of this movie is breath taking with the beautiful colors. The bamboo forest fight scene really utilized all 7 channels extensively. Overall, I liked Hero better, but this one is definatley a must have as well.

Another movie I watched a few nights ago was "Shine." Geoffery Rush plays David Helfgott, a world class pianist. I didn't expect much from a sound standpoint, and definately nothing special from the sub on this movie, but there is one scene that truly is amazing sonically. Of course, there is some ridiculously complex and awe inspiring piano playing but the director really goes inside the artist as to what it must have been like for him in slow motion. I won't give anything away but it has some very impressive sound. If you are looking for a good story and like "artsy-fartsy" movies that will impress your little lady, check this out.
post #114 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheldon View Post

Another movie I watched last night again for the first time--since the HT, was House of Flying Daggers. I have seen this movie on my old pro-logic set up on a 27" tv and really enjoyed it. Last night I was almost in awe on my new system. I have seen the "echo game" seen a few dozen times on systems costing 10-20 times what mine does, but there still is nothing quite like hearing/seeing it in your own home. The most impressive thing about the scene to me is all the subtle nouances of it. There are many parts of it that are almost completely silent and you can hear the water fountains in the background and the other girls giggling on the balcony. You also can hear the breathing of the characters--simply amazing. Then of course is the powerful drum beats. When combined with the amazing colors and dancing ability of the exquisite miss Zhang Ziyi, it all adds up to be one of the best home theater show-off scenes I can think of. The background scenery of this movie is breath taking with the beautiful colors. The bamboo forest fight scene really utilized all 7 channels extensively. Overall, I liked Hero better, but this one is definatley a must have as well.


I agree with this (except I don't know if I like Hero better or not).
If your bass is too hot or boomy, the drums all sound the same. But when properly calibrated, each drum hit sounds different, very textured and detailed. From the end of the subsequent fight scene, the sound is superb. I have the R3 Edko with the full bit-rate DTS version. I still need to watch this all the way through again, with all my recent tweaks since I first saw it (including my new subwoofer) - I've only demoed a few scenes but it sounds great at -15 to -20. I need to watch Hero again too one of these days...
post #115 of 735
i'd love to get my hands on some more DTS full bit-rate version movies--especially that one. Athough, it was one of the few movies that I remeber that I really loved the sound of in DD--DTS isn't an option on my version. I only paid $12 for itI have been waiting for it to come down--my local store has had it for a while for $18. Well, actually it was kind of free as I traded spiderman 2 and proof of life for it--they gave me $13 store credit for the pair. BTW I watched it at -5--typical for me with DD recordings. DTS I usually watch -10. Those setting result in similar SPL I don't know if there is factual data to back that difference up, but in my system a DTS disc is louder by about 5db. I have found this to be true and fairly accurate with just about every disc I have. There are a few DD that are really recorded quiet and others a little hotter, but for the most part the above holds true.
post #116 of 735
Dolby Digital uses "Dialnorm," which tells the receiver to lower the volume (usually by 4dB). DTS doesn't use this, which is why DTS tracks are usually 4dB louder than the DD tracks of the same movie.

If your receiver saves speaker level settings per input, you can set DTS levels 4dB/notches quieter on all channels/sub than DD to even it out.


BTW, I got my HoFD R3 DTS, along with Kung Fu Hustle DTS (I think it's half bit-rate), from play-asia January of last year (before they came out in the US). They were $15 each, plus about $2.50-$3 shipping each. Not too bad. I have a modded region-free Panasonic DVD player, but I mainly use my HTPC for DVDs, and have AnyDVD installed so I can get past region codes (and skip pesky ads at the beginning too).
post #117 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I'm surprised that no one mentioned The Perfect Storm. Enough bass to make you sea sick...

I think someone did a few pages back. I'm surprised that no one mentioned the chase scene in T3. Also, someone mentioned House of Flying Daggers? That dance scene is full of incredible bass....and you don't have to crank it up to hear it. Haven't seen WOTW yet. Saw KK when last in the states. I'm sure I'll watch it again for the bass scenes as a rental.
Javry
post #118 of 735
One I don't see listed (maybe because it doesn't qualify as "don't suck") is Total Recall. You can skip to the last scene to get the good bass when Mars changes its entire environment--hold onto your seat. The Daily Show even used a scene from this movie the other night, although it's older than Basic Instinct 1. The only reason I mention that is that one reason to watch the rest of the movie is a young Sharon Stone. (Hey, it's more relevant to this thread than a global warming debate!)
post #119 of 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Well, perhaps not NECESSARILY -- alot of elements are at play in what makes a "good" movie critic -- ability to write coherently might be one, but surely all that is necessary to the determination of what makes a great film versus the not-so-great, is the ability to critically evaluate the LFE content of a given production. I think you'll find, if you reflect upon it, that it really is just that simple.

"A little" is two words. So is "a lot."
post #120 of 735
The movie Twister has some awesome sections in this movie. each scene with a tornado is good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer movies that DON'T suck?